PDA

View Full Version : Holiday pay

Richie
04-11-2012, 06:35 PM
I've been working as a casual worker for a company for the past 2/3 years. When i first joined they told us they put away 8% of our totally earnings every year for holiday pay. I've been leaving it so it keeps building up (well i thought so anyway) but i was talking to one of the chefs today and he was saying they give holiday pay yearly but only if you request it, if you don't you don't get it - this i didn't know. He said they don't back date it. Surely this has to be illegal? I should receive what I earn from holiday pay yearly whether I request it or not. Are they able to do this?

mrwoooooooo
04-11-2012, 06:40 PM
read your contract

Richie
04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
read your contract

I'm not on a contract they basically call me up when they need people to work.

sex
04-11-2012, 06:43 PM
you idiot omg you're suppose to request it every year or it essentially expires..... but im pretty sure the eu brought in a law recently that says even if you dont req it you still have to get the money. also its not 8% the law says you get 8 hours for every 100 worked

scott
04-11-2012, 06:43 PM
It'll be in your contract but I know in mine we get a set amount of holiday pay every year, we need to take it before the end of the holiday year for us or it will restart and doesn't accrue from the previous years.

IceNineKills
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
if you're not on a contract they can do whatever they want. but when i was working in bars and retail, if holiday was never claimed then you cannot get it.

wixard
05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
holiday pay is the absolute best

Grimmauld
11-11-2012, 06:10 AM
why wouldnt you want the holiday pay, anyways :P

Firehorse
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Pretty sure it's supposed to be the average pay you received for the past 13 weeks or something along those lines. Holiday entitlement can't be carried over to the next year, or you'd get people just constantly doing so, potentially putting a heavy financial strain on their employer. It's only fair really.

Would be nice if holiday entitlement was done by financial year rather than calendar year though.

Samantha
12-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I got a transfer from one shop to another, i haven't received a wage from the new store due to someone at the old store not sending my contract off. On Friday just gone I received £84.69 in my bank which I then later found to be holiday pay yet i dod not request it and I dont even work there anymore, is that possible? My contract was 16 hours over 2 days or 16 over 4 days hence how much I got paid. Richie I'd request it regardless of whether you need to ask, better to ask then just do it.

dirrty
12-11-2012, 02:34 PM
yeah i had to request my holiday pay (but i got mine on a monthly basis).

Alkaz
13-11-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm not on a contract either but I am in full time work and every quarter I receive 36 hours extra pay regardless of if I request it or not as it is the holiday pay I am entitled to.

Catchy
13-11-2012, 05:57 PM
If you're working for an agency they'll obviously have different laws, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're not entitled to it. Also if you're not on a contract then, you really have no leg to stand on Richie :(

Arron
18-11-2012, 11:29 AM
12% of what I earn each shift goes into a Holiday Pay fund and I can claim that whenever I want. It doesn't even expire at the turn of the year. Last year I claimed around £800 and used it purely for December (buying christmas presents, going out, taking fam out etc).

Mark
18-11-2012, 02:05 PM
If I don't take my holiday pay then I lose out. They work it out from the last 5 weeks and take the average from that I think.

Zak
19-11-2012, 05:59 PM
At Morrisons.. Holidays renew every April, if you don't put in for your holidays (5 weeks at morrisons, 25 days I believe at college) then you lose them and you've subsequently worked over your holiday, when you could have been at home.. getting paid for doing nothing :)

I am however under contract.. although we do have a lot more freelancers at Morrisons (They get calls to come in, like you) and they're still entitled to the same amount of holiday.. it still resets and they still have the option of whether or not to use it up or not.

Edit: As regards to pay, they pay me what I would earn if I was there.

Metric1
20-11-2012, 02:00 AM
i get 8 percent paid out yearly.

Kushja
20-11-2012, 02:44 AM
Where I work, we're entitled to 160 or 190 hours of 'Annual Leave' which is essentially holiday pay. We must take this, as Zak said or you will have to work through it where you could be getting paid for doing nothing, or actually on holiday.

Our annual leave is paid as a normal salary at the end of each month. Just over £1000 free ;) Gotta adore it.
Eitherway ask your manager(s) if there would be any chance of backdating some or all of your missed holiday pay. But where you are not under contract this could be difficult (they can do what they like when they like, sack you, not pay, etc..) Good luck! ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!