PDA

View Full Version : According to an ISP unplugging your router halves your internet speed

peteyt
05-11-2012, 02:01 AM
A friend of mine just told me something I found quite funny.

She has recently moved with her family not too far from where she was (just a little bit out) and finally got her internet back. The guy from the ISP setting it up basically told them only unplug the router when you desperately need to as each time you do so it will cut your internet speed in half.

Now while most routers obviously should be okay without being unplugged/rebooted its common for them obviously to need occasional reboots, flushes etc. Strange that an ISP is making it sound like it will cause problems.

Recursion
05-11-2012, 06:28 PM
It won't cause problems, it'll cause the DSLAM to reset and your speed could be halved until all the equipment gets back into sync and recalibrates properly for your broadband line.

peteyt
06-11-2012, 04:18 AM
It won't cause problems, it'll cause the DSLAM to reset and your speed could be halved until all the equipment gets back into sync and recalibrates properly for your broadband line.

Which I gather doesn't take long. I reset mine every so often. Seems like the guy was trying to scare them into leaving it running.

efq
06-11-2012, 09:47 AM
I find that leaving it on for weeks/months let the speed build up to a stable speed. After resetting it, it had to steadily climb back up again but wasn't really quick.

But in this day and age now, it doesn't really make that much difference.

peteyt
07-11-2012, 05:30 AM
I find that leaving it on for weeks/months let the speed build up to a stable speed. After resetting it, it had to steadily climb back up again but wasn't really quick.

But in this day and age now, it doesn't really make that much difference.

I thought it got overloaded and needed like cache/data packets or something refreshed. The radio station I run (on a break right now) had auto on in our studio 24/7 before we got a VPS and because it was running all the time it seemed to play up. Seemed better once we started only plugging everything in for during a show.

Recursion
07-11-2012, 03:58 PM
I thought it got overloaded and needed like cache/data packets or something refreshed. The radio station I run (on a break right now) had auto on in our studio 24/7 before we got a VPS and because it was running all the time it seemed to play up. Seemed better once we started only plugging everything in for during a show.

That's just a **** router.

Markeh
07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
If this is true, with the amount of times I have to reset my VM Hub, I'd be on dial up speeds by now.

redtom
08-11-2012, 05:07 PM
They're probably told to say this to people so they don't get phone calls about ****** speeds right after people reboot and after down time.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!