PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm in trouble?

zombies
05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Okay so there's this person who had me on Skype (no clue how), and they goes to me "nice ip, *inserts my ip*".

I really got nervous so I removed them and blocked them immediately.

I'm really nervous they can hack me or do something really bad to my computer.

Any help/advice would be appreciated =)

Thread moved by runeaddict99 (Forum Moderator): From 'Bobba' as I feel it is more suited here.

wixard
05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
they can't do anything with your ip
don't worry

noddy
05-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Are you sure its your actual IP? I'm pretty sure skype calls are made by connections to a server then to the other person so the ip they have would be of a skype server?

zombies
05-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah, it is my IP cause I Google'd What is my IP? and it happened to match. Hope they can't do anything.

Lewis
05-11-2012, 02:37 PM
It depends if they manage to get other type of details, the ip alone is useless but combined with other things... probably powerful

Samantha
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Don't worry but I'm sure you know not to have details on social networks and such!

sex
05-11-2012, 03:22 PM
its probably somebody who downloaded something that allowed them to see other peoples ips on skype... thats it lol. At most the only thing they can do it knock you offline (ddos you or w.e)

Michael
05-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah if they are in a chat/call with you I THINK they can find your ip by using the 'Command propt' or something. Don't worry about it, IP gives only a estimated location. Find out if you have static or dynamic IP too, if you have dynamic you can change it.

Static IP addressing is for one customer on one IP address and Dynamic IP addressing assigns a different IP address each time the ISP customer logs on to their computer

- http://whatismyipaddress.com/dynamic-static

Zak
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
In your case it's more than likely they won't do anything with it. I wouldn't worry.

peteyt
05-11-2012, 05:01 PM
I googled it to look and there's a video on youtube that showed how a user sending a large file to someone to give him time to look could look at the connections via command prompt. However he mentioned its an external IP which basically shows the location and stuff roughly but its not the main one.

Remember the router hides your real IP so the IP the user has of yours is probably the ISP one.

Tomm
05-11-2012, 05:19 PM
It is highly unlikely that any reasonable consumer ISP would allocate more then one IPv4 address. Therefore the router does not hide your "real IP" rather it makes uses of network address translation which allows multiple devices on your private network connected to your router to share the single public IP address provided by your ISP.

I googled it to look and there's a video on youtube that showed how a user sending a large file to someone to give him time to look could look at the connections via command prompt. However he mentioned its an external IP which basically shows the location and stuff roughly but its not the main one.

Remember the router hides your real IP so the IP the user has of yours is probably the ISP one.

efq
06-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Don't worry too much. What did they want/ask from you by threatening you with it?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!