PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana set to be legalised in Washington and Colorado

FlyingJesus
07-11-2012, 05:50 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/amendment-64-passes-in-co_n_2079899.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/marijuana-legalization-results_n_2074168.html

With two amendments passed (and a third in Massachusetts for medical marijuana), it's now possible for taxation and regulation laws similar to those currently existing for alcohol to be drawn up regarding the sale, ownership, and use of marijuana in Colorado and Washington. It's gonna be an over 21 thing and it'll take a long time to actually get the laws in place (during which it's still illegal under Federal law) but it's a really important step toward ending the ridiculous War On Drugs ordeal that costs billions with no positive results whatsoever.

Apparently there's a difference between how the two passed amendments were written so in Washington it'll still be illegal to have personal cultivations of the plant unless you get a full on license, whereas in Colorado there's just a limit on the number of plants you can grow

GommeInc
07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Seems fair. I seem to be growing to the idea of legalised Marijuana. It stinks to high heaven but it's not as damaging as tobacco or alcohol. The US seem to focus on medicinal purposes of such drugs to this seems to fit in well with these beliefs!

JoeyK.
08-11-2012, 03:13 AM
I have to say that I'm extremely proud of my state for passing Amendment 64. It's not over yet though, we still need to fight the DEA, but both our Governor and Attorney General have said they will be defending the amendment.

It's about time.

-:Undertaker:-
08-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Provided there are minimal regulations on them and other people aren't forced to subsidise consumption then good.

JoeyK.
08-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Well, that depends on your definition of 'minimal.'

I can only speak for Colorado, but here's how Amendment 64 basically works -

Essentially, the amendment must be put into effect within 30 days after election by the Governor. When this happens, it will no longer be against state law to have a small amount (1 oz or less) of marijuana, and each individual household will be able to have at most 6 plants, 3 of which are mature. So yes, anyone 21 and up will be able to grow and have marijuana on them without fear of being prosecuted by state and local police, unless an individual city or county bans its use (which is likely in many of our more conservative areas).

The amendment also calls on the state to establish a tax rate and registration system for anyone wishing to own a store selling marijuana which must be completed by Summer 2013. It is likely that we will not have retail marijuana stores here in Colorado until January 2014 when these measures will take effect. Until then, current stores will probably only sell to people with a medical license.

--

The downside is that marijuana is still illegal according to United States federal law, and there is a chance that the DEA will interfere with retail establishments. However, they do not have the resources to enforce the law entirely in any individual state, meaning that DEA enforcement will be limited to the bigger producers.

FiftyCal
09-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I've been reading some really hardcore right-wing republican pages all over facebook about the marijuana legalization and they seem to be completely against it yet they are not against alcohol... What is wrong with people these days?!?!

Lee
10-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Alcohol is worse than marijuana and I am for the legalisation, lets face it if Britain did it there would probably be no recession ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!