PDA

View Full Version : Jittering audio +11REP

Describe
09-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi guys,

Whenever I try and play something on Youtube or Windows Media Player the sound jitters and lags. The problem is made worse when I try to do something else on the computer or move the mouse cursor. I can't pinpoint when this started but it wasn't always like this, in fact, I haven't had a problem with audio before which is why I'm baffled!

I've tried everything I can think of from re-installing drivers to system restoring to a date where I knew I didn't have an audio issue. I can't think what's going on so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to try next!

+11REP for anybody who helps!

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 10:07 PM
It might be that audio is being handled by your processor and videos are causing a strain resulting in audio jittering. Try cleaning out your computer of dust etc. if your processor is overheating it'll strain it even more.

Describe
09-11-2012, 10:12 PM
It might be that audio is being handled by your processor and videos are causing a strain resulting in audio jittering. Try cleaning out your computer of dust etc. if your processor is overheating it'll strain it even more.
There is quite a lot of dust in my computer at the moment, which is standard for a computer that is six or seven years of age. I'll try and clear as much dust as I can and get back to you!

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 10:17 PM
You should clear out dust every six months or so, at least in an ideal world, the hit to hardware performance globally is noticeable.

Jack!
09-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Laptop or Desktop?

Do you have on-board audio or is it an audio card?

Describe
09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
You should clear out dust every six months or so, at least in an ideal world, the hit to hardware performance globally is noticeable.
Clearing the dust did nothing for me.

Laptop or Desktop?

Do you have on-board audio or is it an audio card?
Desktop and I'm not sure.

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Clearing the dust did nothing for me.
Ah well, it was worth a try and it'll probably help your computer anyway.

Desktop and I'm not sure.
Are there audio connections coming from a PCI slot?

Describe
09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Ah well, it was worth a try and it'll probably help your computer anyway.
Yeah it'll help for something I'm sure!

Are there audio connections coming from a PCI slot?
Yeah it'll help for something I'm sure!

There was a time I knew of computer jargon but that's escaped me, I believe I do have connections coming from a PCI slot.

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I believe I do have connections coming from a PCI slot.
Audio ones? e.g. headphone sockets.

Describe
09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Audio line in (blue), speaker/earphones (green) and microphone (pink).

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Audio line in (blue), speaker/earphones (green) and microphone (pink).

You have a dedicated sound card then.

Describe
09-11-2012, 10:57 PM
You have a dedicated sound card then.
Everyday is a school day.

Does anybody have a solution to the jittering issue?

Teabags
09-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Hi guys,

Whenever I try and play something on Youtube or Windows Media Player the sound jitters and lags. The problem is made worse when I try to do something else on the computer or move the mouse cursor. I can't pinpoint when this started but it wasn't always like this, in fact, I haven't had a problem with audio before which is why I'm baffled!

I've tried everything I can think of from re-installing drivers to system restoring to a date where I knew I didn't have an audio issue. I can't think what's going on so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to try next!

+11REP for anybody who helps!
this might sound like a daft idea, but I had this problem and if it's not any patches you're missing you could've overloaded your CPU
or sometimes deleting all of your internet history works. I have no idea with the logic behind it but it worked for me.

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Does anybody have a solution to the jittering issue?
You say you reinstalled the drivers, I'm assuming you got those from the manufacturers website and not off the install media?

Describe
09-11-2012, 11:15 PM
You say you reinstalled the drivers, I'm assuming you got those from the manufacturers website and not off the install media?
I think I only touched the RealTek drivers.

Jack!
09-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Are them connections on the "main" motherboard? i.e next to your onboard video output or further down in the case?

EDIT: I really should reload the page instead of sitting on it for half an hour.

Erm, does the jittering happen all the time?

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM
http://images.marketworks.com/hi/58/58149/gx280_back.jpg e.g. the colourful bit or further down?

Describe
09-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Are them connections on the "main" motherboard? i.e next to your onboard video output or further down in the case?

EDIT: I really should reload the page instead of sitting on it for half an hour.

Erm, does the jittering happen all the time?

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/58/58149/gx280_back.jpg e.g. the colourful bit or further down?
The colorful bit lads and yes, all the time.

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 11:20 PM
The colorful bit lads and yes, all the time.
Not a dedicated sound card then.

Describe
09-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Not a dedicated sound card then.
Does this bring you any closer to a possible solution that I could test out?

Jack!
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Does this bring you any closer to a possible solution that I could test out?

Unfortunately as its an on-board audio card it could be the motherboard causing the issue, do you know what make your computer and/or motherboard is? I'll try to find the correct drivers for it, just to make sure you have the right ones, but failing that you could buy a cheap dedicated sound card that would probably fix the issue.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!