PDA

View Full Version : Revealed: the hidden army in UK prisons

Chippiewill
09-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Not so much "current" affairs but I believe it to be a really big issue that was brought to my attention today.

The number of former servicemen in prison or on probation or parole is now more than double the total British deployment in Afghanistan, according to a new survey. An estimated 20,000 veterans are in the criminal justice system, with 8,500 behind bars, almost one in 10 of the prison population.

The proportion of those in prison who are veterans has risen by more than 30% in the last five years.

The study provides the strongest evidence yet of a direct link between the mental health of those returning from combat zones, chronic alcohol and drug abuse and domestic violence.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/24/jailed-veteran-servicemen-outnumber-troops

It is appalling that we can send these people overseas, to fight for us, to risk life and limb and then when they return not to help them out. Now many may call out correlation vs causation (Certainly many people who join the army due to their demographics would end up breaking the law) however this is far too significant to ignore.

I was witness to a talk earlier today by a guy from Walking with the Wounded (http://walkingwiththewounded.org.uk/) and he described that these people are institutionalised (Just like in TSSR), their told when to eat, where to go, what to do, they're housing is paid for them, maintained for them - almost every aspect of their lives are controlled, so when they leave the armed forces they don't know what to do with themselves and ultimately many end up in prison (Ironically institutionalised again, making matters worse). They don't receive help to adapting however there are charities out there that will. Really we should be campaigning to fix this and to hopefully reduce prison levels.

Lee
09-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Might be me getting the wrong end of it, but could a factor be that there are no opportunities of employment after they leave the armed forces so they resort to criminal acts?

-:Undertaker:-
09-11-2012, 11:58 PM
I would say that a large part of this is from sending soldiers to wars which are completely pointless and are never ending (Iraq, Afghanistan) - the effect on moral when watching your friends being blown up by roadside bombs in what is essentially a hellhole on earth must be so painful.

But it's the same all the time in this country, old people in amny cases for example are treated much worse than those locked up in prison.

Might be me getting the wrong end of it, but could a factor be that there are no opportunities of employment after they leave the armed forces so they resort to criminal acts?

Indeed, completely right. The same occurred in the inter-war period which destroyed many men.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!