PDA

View Full Version : Steven Sinovsky = Leaving Microsoft immediately

xxMATTGxx
13-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting this.

Windows Head Steven Sinofsky to Leave Microsoft

Windows unit president Steven Sinofsky is leaving the company, effective immediately, AllThingsD has confirmed.

Sources have said the move came amid growing tension between Sinofsky and other top executives. Sinofsky, though seen as highly talented, was viewed at the top levels as not the kind of team player that the company was looking for. The move is likened by some to the recent ouster at Apple of OS X head Scott Forstall.

Officially, Microsoft is saying that the move was a mutual decision by Sinofsky and the company.

Microsoft is dividing Windows oversight among two top Sinofsky deputies. Julie Larson-Green will head up the engineering side of Windows, while Tami Reller, who has had headed marketing and served as the unit’s CFO, will have responsibility for the business side of things.

Sinfosky, who took the reins of Windows after a long career in the Office unit. helped restore order and discipline to the operating system following the boondoggle of Windows Vista.

More details to come.

Soruce: http://allthingsd.com/20121112/breaking-windows-head-steven-sinofsky-to-leave-microsoft/?mod=atdtweet

Microsoft's Announcement:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Press/2012/Nov12/11-12AnnouncementPR.aspx

xxMATTGxx
13-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Bill Gates agreed Sinofsky should leave Microsoft

Steven Sinofsky's seemingly abrupt departure from Microsoft on Monday was apparently not so sudden inside the company. A new report claims that plans for Sinofsky to leave Microsoft, after heading up the development of Windows 8, was in the works for the last several weeks.

AllThingsD.com also reports, via unnamed sources, that in the end it came down to Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates. He apparently backed the decision made by CEO Steve Ballmer for Sinofsky to leave.

The story also repeats what has also been reported about Sinofsky in the past; namely that he was hard to work with. One unnamed source stated, "There was Steve’s way or no other way." Another source was quoted as saying, "He had no factions, except those who worked for him. He picked a lot of fights."

Over the years, those fights have caused a number of high level executives at Microsoft to leave the company. In those cases, Ballmer apparently took Sinofsky's side, but now it looks like Ballmer wanted other people who would try to work well together for the next generation of Windows development

Those people are in fact two women, Julie Larson-Green and Tami Reller, who now have the task of not just taking over the Windows business, but also apparently trying to mend some fences inside and outside of Microsoft.

http://www.neowin.net/news/report-bill-gates-agreed-sinofsky-should-leave-microsoft

This reminds me of the recent changes at Apple as well to be honest.

GommeInc
14-11-2012, 01:32 AM
It's very similar, although this seems a bit more reported on as being about disagreements rather than poor decision making (as was the case with the Apple individuals). Sinovsky is someone I haven't seen around lately, completely forgot who he was to be honest :P

xxMATTGxx
14-11-2012, 01:44 AM
It's very similar, although this seems a bit more reported on as being about disagreements rather than poor decision making (as was the case with the Apple individuals). Sinovsky is someone I haven't seen around lately, completely forgot who he was to be honest :P

He has been around - Was at the number of announcement/shows about Windows 8, Surface and so on. It's like he delivered his final product to Microsoft and then that's that.

HotelUser
16-11-2012, 03:06 PM
http://www.neowin.net/news/report-bill-gates-agreed-sinofsky-should-leave-microsoft

This reminds me of the recent changes at Apple as well to be honest.

I was surprised to read that Bill Gates thought it was time for him to go. I wonder what happened. In any event it's sort if disheartening that two talented people have departed from Apple and Microsoft because naturally I want iOS and Windows 8 to both be as good as possible, and fiercely competitive.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!