PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S3 or Nexus 4?

Ashley
24-11-2012, 05:51 PM
I upgrade in 4 days and I'm having a hard time deciding which to get.

I prefer the Nexus 4 hardware and Android 4.2 OS, but the rubbish camera and lack of expandable storage will be a problem. It also won't be in stock for another 2/3 weeks and won't be on contract.

GS3 has expandable storage, 4G (for future use) and a nice camera, but the phone is made out of ugly plastic and is still on Android 4.0.

If anyone has either phone your opinions will be greatly appreciated and to anyone else, thoughts?

Recursion
24-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Galaxy S3, it isn't on Android 4.0, it's on 4.1.1.

Ashley
24-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Galaxy S3, it isn't on Android 4.0, it's on 4.1.1.

Ah okay, that's a bit better, but it's still not 4.2. Are you saying to choose the GS3 or were you just correcting my mistake?

mrwoooooooo
24-11-2012, 08:06 PM
s3, you'll probably be waiting ages for an n4, not bitter or anything.

Chippiewill
25-11-2012, 12:19 AM
The S3 is probably the better choice, don't worry about the Android version, the difference between 4.0 and 4.2 are minimal.

Tomm
25-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Nexus 4 definetly, assuming you get it from the play store. I've got a Nexus 4 and I've used the S3 and personally I think the Nexus 4 is a much nicer phone. Spec wise the Nexus 4 slightly edges forward over the S3 and the lack of removable storage is not really a issue. If you do need to store loads of data for some reason you can actually plug a USB pen drive into it. Not to mention you can buy the Nexus 4 off contact and just get a sim only plan or something like a giffgaff sim and save tons of money and not be tied into any lengthy contracts.

Also by getting the Nexus line of phones you're pretty much guaranteed to be getting frequent Android updates for a much longer time compared to the S3. Not sure if it matters to you but also since it is a nexus phone you can unlock the bootloader in a few seconds and Google normally provide all of the relevent source code in the AOSP to enable developers to work on the phone.

To me anyway it seems a no brainer to get the Nexus 4 considering how cheap it is.

Ashley
25-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Nexus 4 definetly, assuming you get it from the play store. I've got a Nexus 4 and I've used the S3 and personally I think the Nexus 4 is a much nicer phone. Spec wise the Nexus 4 slightly edges forward over the S3 and the lack of removable storage is not really a issue. If you do need to store loads of data for some reason you can actually plug a USB pen drive into it. Not to mention you can buy the Nexus 4 off contact and just get a sim only plan or something like a giffgaff sim and save tons of money and not be tied into any lengthy contracts.

Also by getting the Nexus line of phones you're pretty much guaranteed to be getting frequent Android updates for a much longer time compared to the S3. Not sure if it matters to you but also since it is a nexus phone you can unlock the bootloader in a few seconds and Google normally provide all of the relevent source code in the AOSP to enable developers to work on the phone.

To me anyway it seems a no brainer to get the Nexus 4 considering how cheap it is.

Thanks for your help. I'm not too bothered about saving money or a long contract, I'm just after the phone that will give me the best experience for the next two years. I have no idea about bootloaders or developing - I've only just started considering Android phones after being set on the iPhone 5 and finding it a bit underwhelming.

How much space do you have left on your N4?

master-ueki
25-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Buy both

Mr-Trainor
25-11-2012, 03:16 PM

This, I'd choose the Nexus 4 out of these two phones.

Buy both
I don't think that's an option, but I guess what he could do is try them both out at a shop where they have display models, maybe.

Tomm
25-11-2012, 04:59 PM
10GB. Most of it is taken up by games I've downloaded. There is seriously no need to worry about the storage space, I've no idea what people intend on storing on their phones that is going to take up so much space.

Thanks for your help. I'm not too bothered about saving money or a long contract, I'm just after the phone that will give me the best experience for the next two years. I have no idea about bootloaders or developing - I've only just started considering Android phones after being set on the iPhone 5 and finding it a bit underwhelming.

How much space do you have left on your N4?

Recursion
25-11-2012, 05:50 PM
10GB. Most of it is taken up by games I've downloaded. There is seriously no need to worry about the storage space, I've no idea what people intend on storing on their phones that is going to take up so much space.

Music takes up a good 10GB on my SGS3, I'm glad I have expandable storage.

Also it's incredibly easy to unlock the bootloader.

Ashley
25-11-2012, 06:24 PM

I usually put around 5GB of music on my phone. If you include pictures, videos, games and apps then that really limits the amount of space I'll have left. No doubt Google will follow the N7 and come out with a 32GB N4 in a year, but I can't wait that long.

Can someone explain what a bootloader is and what the benefits of unlocking it are please? I'm fairly new to the Android scene. Recursion;

Tomm
25-11-2012, 07:38 PM
http://music.google.com

Music takes up a good 10GB on my SGS3, I'm glad I have expandable storage.

Also it's incredibly easy to unlock the bootloader.

I usually put around 5GB of music on my phone. If you include pictures, videos, games and apps then that really limits the amount of space I'll have left. No doubt Google will follow the N7 and come out with a 32GB N4 in a year, but I can't wait that long.

Can someone explain what a bootloader is and what the benefits of unlocking it are please? I'm fairly new to the Android scene. @Recursion (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=13064);

---------- Post added 25-11-2012 at 07:43 PM ----------

A locked bootloader only allows signed ROMs to be flashed. Basically this means a unlocked bootloader allows you to flash the ROM on the phone with anything you want therefore with a unlocked bootloader you can put custom versions of Android on the phone that have not been provided by the manufacturer.

You'll find many ROMs made by the community over at sites like xda-developers.com and without a unlocked bootloader you won't be able to use them.

Also if you want to modify the stock ROM on the phone (e.g root the phone) you'll need an unlocked bootloader unless some exploit is found.

Can someone explain what a bootloader is and what the benefits of unlocking it are please? I'm fairly new to the Android scene. @Recursion (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=13064);

xxMATTGxx
25-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Nexus 4 needs more bloody stock first :P

Ashley
25-11-2012, 10:21 PM
http://music.google.com

A locked bootloader only allows signed ROMs to be flashed. Basically this means a unlocked bootloader allows you to flash the ROM on the phone with anything you want therefore with a unlocked bootloader you can put custom versions of Android on the phone that have not been provided by the manufacturer.

You'll find many ROMs made by the community over at sites like xda-developers.com and without a unlocked bootloader you won't be able to use them.

Also if you want to modify the stock ROM on the phone (e.g root the phone) you'll need an unlocked bootloader unless some exploit is found.
Ah yeah, I've heard a bit about it. I don't think I'll be doing any of that, I'm happy with how they come. I know about Google Music, but I'd find constantly streaming music a bit annoying. What if I'm on the train or somewhere without signal? I prefer having music directly on the phone.

If only Google didn't try to make the Nexus 4 so cheap and just made it the best, then I wouldn't have this problem.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!