PDA

View Full Version : Surface Pro

Chippiewill
30-11-2012, 07:17 PM
It’s hard to believe it’s been just over a month since Surface with Windows RT hit the market. The response from Surface customers has been fantastic and exciting to see. In addition to sharing the terrific results that Microsoft is seeing with Windows 8 at a technology conference earlier this week, we also announced that Surface with Windows 8 Pro would be available in January 2013.

Today, I want to share a bit more detail about the growing Surface family of products and Surface with Windows 8 Pro, specifically around pricing. In January, Surface with Windows 8 Pro will be available in two versions and pricing will start at $899:

· 64GB standalone version at $899

· 128GB standalone version at $999

Both versions will both include a Surface pen with Palm Block technology and include the ability to use a Touch Cover or Type Cover (sold separately).
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2012/11/29/next-up-for-the-surface-family-surface-with-windows-8-pro-pricing.aspx

Very interesting and I think I might get one. Although CES might throw a spanner in the works. I find it interesting that they call it a growing family of products, does this indicate more surface products to come? Maybe a surface phone, or desktop or maybe more economical tables?

xxMATTGxx
30-11-2012, 07:22 PM
There was talks when Surface was first announced that Microsoft may even expand even more in terms of their own hardware. Phones and so on - Would be interesting to see if they do.

Mr-Trainor
30-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I won't be getting one myself, but will be interested to see what people think of them/what they're like to use.

The Don
30-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Surface with Windows 8 Pro will run your current Windows 7 desktop applications – it’s a full PC AND a tablet

So could you run bittorrent on it? Looks good, I will be purchasing a tablet soon so this may be an option..

Chippiewill
30-11-2012, 08:51 PM
So could you run bittorrent on it? Looks good, I will be purchasing a tablet soon so this may be an option..

The surface does look like the most sensible option if you want a tablet which functions like a normal computer.

HotelUser
30-11-2012, 09:24 PM
The battery life is a huge disappointment for me. I'm going to wait until I find something which lasts longer.

Chippiewill
30-11-2012, 09:33 PM
The battery life is a huge disappointment for me. I'm going to wait until I find something which lasts longer.
That is a massive shame to be honest, and it really does show the massive difference in power usage between Intel and ARM. But for one of the first compelling full fat tablets I think it's worth taking the battery life hit.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!