PDA

View Full Version : Removal of British Flag in Belfast

Andii
03-12-2012, 11:27 PM
So tonight some *****s decided that they would have a discussion on the Union Jack flag flying above Belfast city all and ofc Sinn Fein (disgusting noobs) have won and have voted to remove the flag

Their reason was apparently it would bring the community totogether after reading many status from friends Facebook Belfast is becoming a massive riot at midnight :/ o the joy smart one scum bringing back the troubles -.-

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 11:29 PM ----------

Noooooooooooo

omg the beer tent has been destroyed :( fml

Absently
03-12-2012, 11:30 PM
well, not everyone from the north considers themselves british, so it's only fair.

Kardan
03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
well, not everyone from the north considers themselves british, so it's only fair.
I don't get this to be honest. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, and the UK's flag is the Union Jack, so why should it be removed?

If I go over to Germany, and decide I don't like the German flag, does that mean I have a right to say it should be removed?

FlyingJesus
03-12-2012, 11:36 PM

Not really considering like it or not they ARE British

-:Undertaker:-
03-12-2012, 11:37 PM

Not everybody in mainland Britain considers themselves British either - indeed, I don't really consider myself English - only British. Then you have a very small minority who consider themselves something called 'European' and then you have others who consider themselves Somalian, Pakistani or Islamic-Arab. On the basis of that argument, should all British or English flags be removed from across the country? no.

The majority in Northern Ireland consider themselves British, something nationalists find hard to swallow hence why a large proportion of them embarked on a campaign of terror, targeting innocent subjects (including children) to bring about their minority demands. Not only that, but they refuse to engage in a referendum on the subject and why? because they know they will lose against the majority.

The British flag ought to fly above British soil should the majority consider themselves British - like the Falklands. Northern Ireland is British. Ulster stood with the British Crown and rejected the Republic; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Covenant - and still, to this day, it rejects the Republic.

Absently
03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't get this to be honest. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, and the UK's flag is the Union Jack, so why should it be removed?

If I go over to Germany, and decide I don't like the German flag, does that mean I have a right to say it should be removed?idk what statistics are, but i'm sure it's almost half and half somewhat. yeah if it was like 80% considered themselves to be british, then sure fly the flag. for all i know, it could be a huge majority considering themselves british but idk. i am from the republic and obviously will think it's fair lol

+ pls am not arguing 'cus i don't care enough

03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
idk what statistics are, but i'm sure it's almost half and half somewhat. yeah if it was like 80% considered themselves to be british, then sure fly the flag. for all i know, it could be a huge majority considering themselves british but idk. i am from the republic and obviously will think it's fair lol

If you want to annex Northern Ireland into the Republic (which I think you do, but which you haven't made clear) - would you then be up for removing all Irish flags from across Ireland on the basis that a large proportion who lived in the north (30% odd of the total population of the entire 'United Ireland') didn't consider themselves Irish?

Somehow I don't think you would. So please, don't expect we Britons to do the same either.

Kardan
03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
idk what statistics are, but i'm sure it's almost half and half somewhat. yeah if it was like 80% considered themselves to be british, then sure fly the flag. for all i know, it could be a huge majority considering themselves british but idk. i am from the republic and obviously will think it's fair lol

Half and half of what? Religion? Religion does not define nationality.

03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Half and half of what? Religion? Religion does not define nationality.

Here's a long term trend of the polls for the nationalists of opinion in Northern Ireland,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/NILT_NIRELND2.png

The vast and ever increasing majority of people consider themselves British and see the Union flag as their own.

I daresay it's even higher now in 2012, probably around the 80% mark.

yeah if it was like 80% considered themselves to be british, then sure fly the flag.

Glad we've come to agreement.

Absently
03-12-2012, 11:50 PM
btw, no i don't care about northern ireland being part of the republic, not everyone wants to so. it's only a flag at the end of the day, dunno why it's such a major concern. at the end of the day, no ones asking people to feel like they're irish. and no, not religion wise but nationalists and unionists wise. the sinn fein fairly won i'm sure. i'm not going to post anymore lol

Andii
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Tbh the flag should have been kept their whole argument was to bring community together and even I know that's not going to happen by removing the flag can't believe this was passed !!!!!! I'm so angry mainly because they wreaked the beer tent :/

unionists are having an uprise and blocking roads and stuff :) we are not happy being treated like crap on our own country we will stand or what we believe in

For Queen and for Country !!!!! Let the flag fly high in it's glory as we are British woooo woop ;) I should get one of them megaphone things and stand shouting up

David
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
dont see them round here luckily

Kardan
03-12-2012, 11:52 PM
btw, no i don't care about northern ireland being part of the republic, not everyone wants to so. it's only a flag at the end of the day, dunno why it's such a major concern. at the end of the day, no ones asking people to feel like they're irish. and no, not religion wise but nationalists and unionists wise. the sinn fein fairly won i'm sure. i'm not going to post anymore lol

It's only a flag, yes, but it's the fact that the flag can't be flown in its own country... It's a bit ridiculous...

03-12-2012, 11:53 PM

And the majority of people, as shown by the poll above (75% odd), in Northern Ireland consider themselves to be British. Therefore, the Union flag flies over Belfast as that is what the large majority in Northern Ireland want. Just as the majority in the Republic consider themselves Irish - so the Irish tricolour flies over Dublin. Just as the majority in the Falkland Islands consider themselves British, hence the Union flag is flown over Stanley.

Simple really.

Andii
03-12-2012, 11:54 PM
It's only a flag, yes, but it's the fact that the flag can't be flown in its own country... It's a bit ridiculous...

Isnt it I feel like protesting so badly !!!! I'm so angry at this next thing they will make it so we can't even have out own British passports !!!!!! Can't wait till I'm older and move out of this awful country !!! Sick of all this catholic Protestant crap

Kardan
03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Isnt it I feel like protesting so badly !!!! I'm so angry at this next thing they will make it so we can't even have out own British passports !!!!!! Can't wait till I'm older and move out of this awful country !!! Sick of all this catholic Protestant crap

I'd feel the same if I lived there, I'm under the impression that the religious differences between communities is many an older generation thing, and hopefully people our age don't have an issue with it.

Andii
04-12-2012, 12:07 AM
I'd feel the same if I lived there, I'm under the impression that the religious differences between communities is many an older generation thing, and hopefully people our age don't have an issue with it.

Most people my age doesn't give a crap about it lol

it's people who are like 25+ that are doing all the trouble and crap which annoys me more grrrrr we want to grow up in a lovely place jst because they are trying to destroy it for us

Andii
04-12-2012, 01:16 PM
15 police members have been injured think that's horrible tbh they have to do their jobs and all because some ***** want to remove a flag disgraceful grrrrr

but yay I got over 110 likes for one of y statuses I posted on a fb page within 5mins lol

RyRy
04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
It's a symbolic gesture to do it, but in all honesty I don't give much of a crap if they fly a pirates flag above that place. As people say, it's our flag but it's not much more than a little jab at the UK (to which they're still part of anyway...)

Andii
05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
It's a symbolic gesture to do it, but in all honesty I don't give much of a crap if they fly a pirates flag above that place. As people say, it's our flag but it's not much more than a little jab at the UK (to which they're still part of anyway...)

Its not just a flag it shows people that we are part of Britain and it also stands for our fallen soldiers that have died for the country and now we are only allowed it up for 5% of the year which is total bull instead of focusing on other things they decided this target the flag which has been up for decades which is a disgrace to remove it. It's as if they are looking to bring bak the troubles again which no one wants to happen. People are starting to turn it into a nationalists vs unionists thing which is proper mental -.-

Red
05-12-2012, 11:16 AM

I really don't give two tosses. As long as Northern Ireland is a member of the uk, it should be flown.
Disgraceful. Makes me so angry. Shame on Alliance party ;/

Andii
05-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I really don't give two tosses. As long as Northern Ireland is a member of the uk, it should be flown.
Disgraceful. Makes me so angry. Shame on Alliance party ;/

Ino right everyone is like aww it shouldn't be flown on Irish soil I'm like **** OMG we are UK now grow a set >:(

i hate that blond tramp from Sinn Fein Jo was blaming the police for the riots and sayin they wernt prepared and more should have been done. I'm like you tramp I dare you to walk out and try and stop the riot people got hurt all because they wanted a flag which did no harm and no one had said anything about down, sickens me tht try are doin that

Samantha
05-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I don't see why, if some don't consider themselves British why are they living on British soil? It's a flag to be flown on a British country which it was. If it's been up decades why on Earth wasn't it taken down sooner if people didn't agree. It should be returned and for those who don't agree it's more of a like it or lump it decision surely?

xxMATTGxx
05-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I find this stupid. It's part of the UK so the flag should be flown.

Andii
05-12-2012, 02:00 PM
I find this stupid. It's part of the UK so the flag should be flown.

Exactly why is a capital city in the UK not allowed to fly it's own flag. Grrrr needa do some more protesting :) yay I need glopys help :( he was a true pro

RyRy
05-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Its not just a flag it shows people that we are part of Britain and it also stands for our fallen soldiers that have died for the country and now we are only allowed it up for 5% of the year which is total bull instead of focusing on other things they decided this target the flag which has been up for decades which is a disgrace to remove it. It's as if they are looking to bring bak the troubles again which no one wants to happen. People are starting to turn it into a nationalists vs unionists thing which is proper mental -.-

That's why I'm saying it's more of a symbolic thing than anything!

Richie
05-12-2012, 10:33 PM
If I want to wave an Irish flag in Britain, it should be allowed. If the British want to wave the British flag in the republic of Ireland it should be allowed. It's a flag for god sake. What makes it more ridiculous is IT IS IN BRITAIN. I mean as poor and as stupid as our government are I am proud to be Irish but in all honesty I thought we were past the stage of STOP HANGING THIS FLAG IT HURTS MY FEELINGS IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, no mind their own.

Andii
05-12-2012, 11:57 PM
If I want to wave an Irish flag in Britain, it should be allowed. If the British want to wave the British flag in the republic of Ireland it should be allowed. It's a flag for god sake. What makes it more ridiculous is IT IS IN BRITAIN. I mean as poor and as stupid as our government are I am proud to be Irish but in all honesty I thought we were past the stage of STOP HANGING THIS FLAG IT HURTS MY FEELINGS IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, no mind their own.

What flu have found is that there are so many Irish and catholic people who are saying that the flag should be kept up as it's only a flag to them and that it should be kept because of the unionists feel so strongly about, its just like right who actually thinks it was a smart decision to take the flag down since no one gave a toes about it before it was just flying looking lovely now there's just a random pole sticking out of the building

Niall!
08-12-2012, 01:22 AM
They're rioting down the road. First the *******s wreck the beer tent now they stop me from going to a pub?

I don't care about the flag business, all religion is pointless and stupid.

08-12-2012, 01:41 AM
I'm personally delighted the Unionists are out on the streets (as long as it remains peaceful) concerning this decision, indeed maybe if more of us protested on the streets then we wouldn't have had to endure mass immigration, the European Union, high taxation, the destruction of civil liberties, pointless and costly wars and so on and so forth.

I also saw that US Secretary of State Hiliary Clinton arrived in Belfast today, representing the nation who helped fund the IRA and actively pushed for a surrender to the IRA yet claim to fight a 'war on terror' - a woman who also comes from a country where peaceful protesters are hit over the head in the streets... yet she has the nerve to call for calm.

It's all like a very bad Carry On film concerning US foreign policy and I don't see why we take anything they say on this with any moral standing.

Niall!
08-12-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm personally delighted the Unionists are out on the streets (as long as it remains peaceful) concerning this decision

It never is peaceful when religion is involved. Anyone who protests over a god damn flag should be watercannoned into oblivion. Stick the chinese flag up so we don't have to bother changing it when they take over the world.

08-12-2012, 01:54 AM
It never is peaceful when religion is involved. Anyone who protests over a god damn flag should be watercannoned into oblivion. Stick the chinese flag up so we don't have to bother changing it when they take over the world.

A flag is much more than just a piece of cloth, it stands for hundreds or event thousands of years of history and culture.

I would be out there tonight if I lived in Belfast flying the Union flag, just as I will be out flying the Union flag when the day comes that the European Union attempts to officially submerge our nation into a European superstate - via a one sided referendum or via parliament.

Niall!
08-12-2012, 02:04 AM
A flag is much more than just a piece of cloth, it stands for hundreds or event thousands of years of history.

I would be out there tonight if I lived in Belfast flying the Union flag, just as I will be out flying the Union flag when the day comes that the European Union attempts to officially submerge our nation into a European superstate - via a one sided referendum or via parliament.

Then you would be rushed by the police with batons and riot shields. Exactly what happens every time due to anarchists taking over EVERY protest, peaceful or otherwise. Maybe you'd be hit by a stray brick or petrolbomb if they fancy throwing them tonight.

It's alright saying a flag stands for the history of a nation when in this particular segment of the nation various people have died or had their family taken from them due to its presence. I'm not against the British flag before you lash out in your usual way, I merely think that having no flag above the city hall (either british or otherwise) will in the long term help ease any residual tension.

08-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Then you would be rushed by the police with batons and riot shields. Exactly what happens every time due to anarchists taking over EVERY protest, peaceful or otherwise. Maybe you'd be hit by a stray brick or petrolbomb if they fancy throwing them tonight.

Indeed, and when the state reacts with violence to protest - then the people in turn have the right to strike back.

It's alright saying a flag stands for the history of a nation when in this particular segment of the nation various people have died or had their family taken from them due to its presence. I'm not against the British flag before you lash out in your usual way, I merely think that having no flag above the city hall (either british or otherwise) will in the long term help ease any residual tension.

No thank you, the majority of people (see the graph of 75%+) consider the Union flag to be their own and thus the Union flag ought to fly above Belfast City Hall just as it has for the last 100 years or so. As it happens, if the majority ever wished to join the Republic then there's no doubt in my mind that we'd see the Irish flag flying the day after the referendum took place.

Provocative acts by a group of 'former' terrorists and murderers in government ought to be stood up against.

I read today somebody comment that in regards to the Clinton visit urging for calm, can anybody imagine what would happen to a politician or political party in the United States who suggested that the American flag oughtn't to be flown over an American town or city?

Niall!
08-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I really don't care. Maybe Ireland and the UK can share us. All I know is THEY ARE DESTROYING THE ******* BEER TENT AGAIN

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!