PDA

View Full Version : Does feminism have its place in modern cultures anymore?

MKR&*42
08-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Does feminism have its place in modern cultures anymore?

This should be an interesting debate. By modern cultures I'm referring to countries generally in Western Europe, North America and parts of Oceania. I come across many Feminist perspectives in sociology, and I suppose feminism makes an appearance in news articles from time to time - but does anyone here think feminism has its place in modern cultures anymore?

I'll post my reply/view when I get home after going out for a few hours :), only thing I'll say atm is that I oppose the advancement of 'modern' feminism.

FlyingJesus
08-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Absolutely not in the West considering there is not a single right that men have and women do not, yet many legal and social bonuses afforded to women simply for the way they were born including freedom from rape prosecutions (despite 80% of male rapes being perpetrated by females), biased school systems, being 5x less likely to get assaulted as a young person yet having over 99% of all victim shelters (with attempts to create battered-male shelters violently opposed by feminist groups), around 70% less chance than a male of being convicted when the exact same crime has been committed and then serving substantially shorter sentences if they do, and a whole slew of other advantages. Current feminism is nothing but dangerous dogma that blocks any chance of actual gender equality and then attempts to go even further and completely demonise males. You want to be a "strong independent woman"? Go ahead, but you don't need a political movement to do it when you already have all the rights you need and more

Inseriousity.
08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Yes it does. Legal equality is one thing but social attitudes are another and there are still a lot of issues that feminists can get behind. On the other hand, this does not mean that feminism is something that should be placed on a pedestal and should still be open to criticism and debate. I personally have issue with how having the choice of being a housewife is looked down by some feminists as pandering to traditional female stereotypes and that this somehow makes you less strong, less independent but having a choice also means having a choice to not be what a group of people (feminists in this case) want you to be.

dirrty
09-12-2012, 01:05 AM
i don't have time for the views of the feminists that have been given a prominent voice in the past, and currently (white, upper/middle class women) who drown, bathe and drink their white privilege (much like their patriarchal counterparts). everyone should strive for a sense of social equality (even though it shall never, ever exist), but the fact is that when discussing social inequalities, one should attempt to see how various forms of social identities bine together and can affect those individuals/groups. far too many feminists don't take intersectionality into consideration (some do as it was developed by a feminist), if they're not *oppressed* on the basis of other factors (such as race, class, sexual orientation, etc.) besides their gender.

plus, i think we'll find that there are so many faux-feminists (who also cry oppression when deemed necessary, but place that in their pocket when they use their sexuality to their advantage). far too many feminists either desire to place the emphasis on women above men (which completely ignores the whole 'equality' thing), and criticise women who don't fit into their classifications of what a woman should be. i do believe that there should be a collective voice, studies, theorists etc. who look into social inequalities and how we can improve social relations within society, but i don't completely agree with how feminists go about achieving this.

-:Undertaker:-
09-12-2012, 02:19 PM
No.

In recent months we've had cries that the government should force the top FSTE 100 companies to have their boards 50% women. But as Peter Hitchens commented on this, why is their no drive to have 50% of bin men as women? or any other jobs which are low pay and not regarded as 'good'.

Men and women aren't equal, they're different - let's deal with reality for once rather than this silly and dangerous cultural marxism.

dbgtz
09-12-2012, 06:20 PM
No and I think all modern feminists are just power hungry, stupid or just want to be recognised. For example, I came across a blog all about how a woman didn't shave to tackle what society would expect and how this "empowers" her and literally throughout I just thought about how stupid it was to say that.

My local MP and Women and Equalities Minister Maria Miller recently stated that "women are at the heart of the country's economic growth". If feminism is all about bridging the gap of inequality between males and females, why is there still a clear division between men and women? Why is the job title not Men, Women and Equalities Minister? It's also a somewhat false statement. When laws and such are imposed to get women "equal representation", it can lead to better candidates who are male losing out and imposing these will only lead to greater tension, in my opinion.

There's also some other stuff about why there appears to be a pay gap between men and women and stuff like that but I can't really be bothered to get into it anymore.

No.

In recent months we've had cries that the government should force the top FSTE 100 companies to have their boards 50% women. But as Peter Hitchens commented on this, why is their no drive to have 50% of bin men as women? or any other jobs which are low pay and not regarded as 'good'.

Men and women aren't equal, they're different - let's deal with reality for once rather than this silly and dangerous cultural marxism.

Lol I never thought of that before.

HotelUser
09-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I think there need to be well established and recognized groups which endorse equality for both genders, because I can think of scenarios where males are discriminated against, and I can think of scenarios where females are discriminated against.

GommeInc
09-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Equality for the sake of equality causes inequality. Having someone well trained and suited for a job only to be turned away to make up a quota for the sake of superficial equality is absurd and should be avoided these days.

Charz777
17-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Yes, there are still many feminists in our society that believe that men and women are still treated differently and feminism is very much still apparent. However, I believe it's starting to swing in the other direction. Before it was men wanting all the power and not allowing it for women, now the feminists just won't stop and are power hungry for more 'equality.' I'm not certain but I think in some countries men are stilled paid more for doing the same job as women. However, feminists sometimes will say this is the case when really the man holds a different however similar role to the woman. It's all based on technicalities these days. And sometimes trivial, some women can't take it as a joke when a man thinks she belongs in the kitchen. If feminists really believed they were equal then surely they could overlook these comments because they think otherwise? Or people may just need to lighten up. I don't care if people make sexist jokes, because it's just banter.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!