PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this state benefits news story?

Charz777
14-12-2012, 11:46 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246104/Unemployed-single-mother-benefits-spends-2-000-Christmas-20-presents-children.html

The basics of it; a single mother of 2 claims £15,000 in state benefits and chooses to remain unemployed as if she got a job she couldn't keep up with her current luxorious lifestyle.

Not only does this woman's attitude annoy me, this shows a serious problem with the benefit system!

I live in an average household that makes just enough money to get by without depts and as I child my sister and myself received about £100 in gifts each at Christmas because that was the absolute maximum my parents could afford. We have never received any kind of state benefit. How can this woman claiming to need financial aid be able to splash out like this?

Alos, gifts of designer clothes, iPads and jewellery for two young children seems a bit ridiculous, especially for someone who doesn't even work.

Samantha
14-12-2012, 12:10 PM
What I wonder is how a two year old would want an iPad for Christmas, she could get a job, she said why work on minimum wage but surely they should want to earn money as opposed to just getting it off the Government.

lawrawrrr
14-12-2012, 12:12 PM
This is the whole problem with the dole and benefits. Quite a lot of the time the government will give people MORE money from being unemployed than they would at a minimum wage job - it's something that seems completely baffling and ridiculous to me.

Charz777
17-12-2012, 10:58 PM
What I wonder is how a two year old would want an iPad for Christmas, she could get a job, she said why work on minimum wage but surely they should want to earn money as opposed to just getting it off the Government.

I agree, I've no idea what a one or two year old would want with an iPad.

The system is just messed up. I thought it was designed to help people who were, for whatever reason, unable to work. So, now her children are old enough to go to nursery or some for of day care then she should be getting a job.

If a person is being given more than the minimum wage then there isn't any motivation for people like her to go get a job. It's stupid!

It also makes me think she has no security, knowing she isn't earning the money herself, she just expects it.

And just a little sub-argument. I think it's very unbecoming for children to be spoiled. I mean two grand!? If they want for nothing then they're less likely to have ambitions. If they think they can just be handed things on a plate then they'll never know the true value of money because they don't have to earn it themselves and they will always expect it.

-:Undertaker:-
17-12-2012, 11:02 PM
I now favour rather than benefits money, it should be turned into a food, water, heating, clothing stamp style system.

Catchy
17-12-2012, 11:22 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246104/Unemployed-single-mother-benefits-spends-2-000-Christmas-20-presents-children.html

The basics of it; a single mother of 2 claims £15,000 in state benefits and chooses to remain unemployed as if she got a job she couldn't keep up with her current luxorious lifestyle.

Not only does this woman's attitude annoy me, this shows a serious problem with the benefit system!

I live in an average household that makes just enough money to get by without depts and as I child my sister and myself received about £100 in gifts each at Christmas because that was the absolute maximum my parents could afford. We have never received any kind of state benefit. How can this woman claiming to need financial aid be able to splash out like this?

Alos, gifts of designer clothes, iPads and jewellery for two young children seems a bit ridiculous, especially for someone who doesn't even work.

At first I thought how can you live a 'luxurious' lifestyle on 15k a year but then I thought, the government probably pay most of her rent so she's probably laughing having all of that disposable income... It is ridiculous how people can get away with it, there should be more pressure put on these people into actually finding jobs or learning a particular trade/skill. The thing is, I'm not actually bothered because at the end of the day people like that are the ones who'll look back and think "what have I actually done with my life?"

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!