PDA

View Full Version : Google releases Maps for iPhone

Mr-Trainor
15-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Not for iPad, yet. I downloaded it yesterday and used it, and in my opinion it's much better than Apple Maps and I'm glad Google made an app because it looks nicer and works much better than the web app. So yeah, I prefer Google Maps because it has traffic data for almost every main road around where I live and along my route to college, unlike Apple Maps, and it also looks nicer imo :P.

Which do you prefer?

Link: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/google-maps/id585027354?mt=8

Jutnux
15-12-2012, 10:52 AM
To be fair the reason Apple Maps is so **** is that it has only just been released a few months ago. When Google Maps first came out there were exact glitches like this one and the same complaints were going on.

However, in relation to the thread, I prefer Google Maps (even though I do not own an iDevice) as it has been around longer, has less bugs (obviously, as Apple Maps is new), links in with my Android device and I can use it online too and many different things that are much better about GMaps.

I think it was a wise decision for Google to release Maps on the iPhone now. With Apple Maps struggling then there is going to be a huge influx of users to their mapping application.

HotelUser
15-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Is there a "I don't use maps on my phone" option? I rarely use maps but when I do I'll probably use Google maps until Apple maps works well enough that I don't have to download the third party app any longer.

Jutnux
15-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Is there a "I don't use maps on my phone" option? I rarely use maps but when I do I'll probably use Google maps until Apple maps works well enough that I don't have to download the third party app any longer.

Mine is mostly used to find the nearest takeaway :@

Mr-Trainor
15-12-2012, 04:17 PM
I mainly use it for checking on traffic, so I know if I have to leave earlier or get a different bus :P - I don't drive.

GommeInc
16-12-2012, 12:39 AM
It would of been better if Apple didn't jump into the deep end with their Map App and developed it in stages. Releasing it with a traffic function completely untested was a really stupid thing to do. They should of started off plain, with only country and state names, and slowly moving into cities, towns and villages which is what Google started off doing. As a public release App, it's awful - but if it was a testing/BETA app, it would of been considered amazing. They really shouldn't of pulled the plug on Google Maps prematurely either, making everyone have to use their App - they shot themselves in the foot and only made Google look the better company - if the reception of GMaps is anything to go by :P

Not voted as I do not own an iOS device.

peteyt
17-12-2012, 01:45 AM
To be fair the reason Apple Maps is so **** is that it has only just been released a few months ago. When Google Maps first came out there were exact glitches like this one and the same complaints were going on.

However when Google Maps first came out there wasn't the audience or the smartphones that we have today. In today's age big companies can't really afford to make a mistake as big as the one Apple made with its own maps. Apple really should have designed the apps in stages as someone else mentioned previously in this post. They should have then had it tested. Instead of making sure their product worked properly they just threw it out there, as a stable version to (as a Beta it might have been more forgiven).

Jutnux
17-12-2012, 08:38 PM
However when Google Maps first came out there wasn't the audience or the smartphones that we have today. In today's age big companies can't really afford to make a mistake as big as the one Apple made with its own maps. Apple really should have designed the apps in stages as someone else mentioned previously in this post. They should have then had it tested. Instead of making sure their product worked properly they just threw it out there, as a stable version to (as a Beta it might have been more forgiven).

I agree completely. Adding the 'beta' word at the end of the app name or logo, heck, even in the description might have saved them some of the embarassment as they'd have something to blame it on.

However, it's hard to beta test everything in an app of that size, which is why I agree with you and the other poster that it should've been released in stages.

Mr-Trainor
17-12-2012, 10:34 PM
More than 10 million downloads in less than 48 hours after release!

We're excited for the positive reception of Google Maps for iPhone around the world. Congratulations to the Maps Team on the recognition for the passion and hard work they poured into it, for this release and over the last 7+ years.

If you're an iPhone user and haven't downloaded the Maps app yet, get it on the App Store or visit: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id585027354?mt=8.

If you already have it -- thank you, and please tell a friend. Any feedback you have is welcomed, here in G+ or in the app (just shake it).
10 million downloads of the Google Maps application already, with the app only having been out for 48 hours. That's quite a lot :P.

Just waiting for the iPad version now.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!