PDA

View Full Version : is revenge rep allowed

scottish
19-12-2012, 01:13 PM
ok well i just got told it is

essentially;

User 1 -reps user 2 then
User 2 -reps user 1

@Chris (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55895); basically just told me this is allowed unless within that rep you state 'this rep is because you previously -repped me'

I'm sure it's no surprise how little I think of him or little I trust his judgment, so can someone clear it up

Pretty sure 90% of my reputation that has been removed (as in me giving to other users) shouldn't have been removed if this is the case...

Thread returned to Habbox Feedback by Matts (Forum Super Moderator): From 'Questions/Queries about Habbox'.

Red
19-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Yea, the rules were changed:

http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=763362

scottish
19-12-2012, 01:16 PM
So you can revenge rep as long as you're not rude and don't refer to their rep?

lmfao

Grig
19-12-2012, 01:21 PM
There was a whole thread about this and I think we came to a consensus that if the rep was invalid you can give another reason such as "pointless".

Although I never saw it as a necessary change.

Mr-Trainor
19-12-2012, 01:29 PM
As long as there is a valid reason for it, and not just 'why -rep me..' or something completely irrelevant, then I guess it's allowed.

Kieran
19-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Should just turn rep off on the forum. Causes so many issues with people crying over it :P

scottish
19-12-2012, 01:48 PM
thank you system

David
19-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Should just turn rep off on the forum. Causes so many issues with people crying over it :P

like system pls

GoldenMerc
19-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Chris revenge repped me, then removed the rep i gave to him. Garner done nothing.... so i just carried on. Chris now removes any rep i give him? nice

Kardan
19-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Chris revenge repped me, then removed the rep i gave to him. Garner done nothing.... so i just carried on. Chris now removes any rep i give him? nice

How do you know he removes his own rep?

GoldenMerc
19-12-2012, 02:49 PM
How do you know he removes his own rep?

It disappears in my given rep

Lee
19-12-2012, 03:07 PM
It disappears in my given rep

It may not be him I thought he meant? :P

sex
19-12-2012, 03:09 PM

WELL TO BE FAIR ROSS, you abuse rep more than anyone on the forum -repping people you dont like lmao

GoldenMerc
19-12-2012, 03:10 PM
It may not be him I thought he meant? :P

He admitted it was him in the complaints, that im fairly sure he shouldn't be replying to as it was about himself..

Lee
19-12-2012, 03:11 PM
He admitted it was him in the complaints, that im fairly sure he shouldn't be replying to as it was about himself..

Ok, nevertheless you should take this up with Matt, or Myke - Lets keep this thread clean and on topic :)

FlyingJesus
19-12-2012, 03:15 PM
All rep is valid rep

Glen Coco
19-12-2012, 03:22 PM
like system pls

This!!!

Kardan
19-12-2012, 03:29 PM
All rep is valid rep

I agree with this.

Grig
19-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Well if it's silly rep, which you use on people who you don't like, then I think he has every right to remove it.

Glen Coco
19-12-2012, 03:32 PM
All rep is valid rep

I disagree, sometimes it is but when it's pointless just because someone doesn't like you, it's not valid.
I recently gave someone advice on a phone contract and got -repp'ed with the reason being 'you're an idiot', just because said person doesn't like me.

Samantha
19-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I've noticed before that -rep gets removed when the post is obvious why it was given. I believe I -repped someone for a sexist joke (didn't say why in the comment as it was fairly obvious) and it got removed. A person did the same for me (difference being I had no idea why he -repped me due to no comment given) yet that was removed too. I always thought that if I -repped Scottish for I don't know, being rude to me, he could always -rep me back if I retaliated or something (or found something he didn't agree with which he would ;)). I don't really agree that the rule was changed as surely it could have just caused more problems.

GoldenMerc
19-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Well if it's silly rep, which you use on people who you don't like, then I think he has every right to remove it.

What in the same concept as when you threaten to beat someone up on an online forum eh Grig |-)

scottish
19-12-2012, 03:39 PM
well it was fine for god knows how ever many years, prob just to give chris less work.

FlyingJesus
19-12-2012, 03:50 PM
I disagree, sometimes it is but when it's pointless just because someone doesn't like you, it's not valid.
I recently gave someone advice on a phone contract and got -repp'ed with the reason being 'you're an idiot', just because said person doesn't like me.

That's a stupid reason to write and shows that they're not a particularly clever person but it's valid nonetheless because it's a mark on your reputation that someone doesn't like you; the fact that they're probably a low-level anger-prone fool means that it probably won't have much bearing (ie: low rep power) but even one person saying they don't like Justin Bieber takes away from his potential fanbase and therefore his reputation, however small a percentage that one person might be.

The rep system as a form of user moderation works for that reason - generally (although there are excROSSeptions not naming anyone) people who are abusive and ignorant don't have much rep power, and therefore don't dent the reputation of those they don't like so much

Kardan
19-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Isn't that what reputation is though? If someone dislikes you, that means it diminishes your reputation.

Glen Coco
19-12-2012, 03:52 PM
That's a stupid reason to write and shows that they're not a particularly clever person but it's valid nonetheless because it's a mark on your reputation that someone doesn't like you; the fact that they're probably a low-level anger-prone fool means that it probably won't have much bearing (ie: low rep power) but even one person saying they don't like Justin Bieber takes away from his potential fanbase and therefore his reputation, however small a percentage that one person might be.

The rep system as a form of user moderation works for that reason - generally (although there are excROSSeptions not naming anyone) people who are abusive and ignorant don't have much rep power, and therefore don't dent the reputation of those they don't like so much

That is a good point; however i think that each -rep or +rep should represent the post made, not the user. e.g i wouldn't -rep the post you just made because i didn't like jesus (not bible bashing, just an example) and your name happened to have jesus in it, however, although offensive, it would make more sense to -rep you for that reason if we were in a discussion about the bible.
Kardan; just seen your comment. read above ^

Andii
19-12-2012, 03:55 PM

:( GoldenMerc -rep me when me Matt and Martin where all having banter and he was like stop crying :( I'm in tears over my -rep ATM feel like I should just leave hxf because of all this -rep
rep

Jokes I'm not that dad. But yea I agree haha what's the point of it????

Kardan
19-12-2012, 03:56 PM
That is a good point; however i think that each -rep or +rep should represent the post made, not the user. e.g i wouldn't -rep the post you just made because i didn't like jesus (not bible bashing, just an example) and your name happened to have jesus in it, however, although offensive, it would make more sense to -rep you for that reason if we were in a discussion about the bible.
Kardan; just seen your comment. read above ^

Then if -rep gets removed, surely pointless +reps should also be removed? In reality, the reputation system is pointless at the moment if all negative reps get removed.

GoldenMerc
19-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Glen you got -repped by Damien, Don't take it to heart pretty sure he -repped as many people as he could just to troll, Can't see how -repping someone who is threatening you or giving you abuse is wrong? So not sure how your pinpointing me Tom, or Grig for that point.

If i dislike you, I wouldnt -rep unless you said something that i thought wasn't a fair judgement (opinions are fine but there is defiantly a thin line on that) never the less revenge reputation is just pathetic, who says if i -repped tom, he -repped me back (without looking at his rep) and disagree'd with something? Its flawed, In that term Chris would never remove it, As hes way too focussed on his own reputation than the forum actually crashing down in terms of posting and activity. but thats my jist'

Glen Coco
19-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Then if -rep gets removed, surely pointless +reps should also be removed? In reality, the reputation system is pointless at the moment if all negative reps get removed.

pretty much, which is why i agree with David that a 'liking' and 'disliking' system would be much better

GommeInc
19-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Basically the previous rule/system meant you couldn't negative rep someone after they repped you because this would be seen as revenge rep even though it is most likely legitimate. The rule was changed because it isn't revenge rep if the comment refers to a post they have made or their attitude, as this legitimises the point you are trying to convey and therefore isn't in revenge. It was a pretty good rule change ;)

Before the rule:

<comment war in some thread somewhere>

<User 1 -reps you saying you need a life>
<User 2 -reps them saying "you're point was invalid">

User 2 would have their rep removed, even though the comment isn't about the rep but a point made somewhere else. It is removed because it was done so soon after the other person repped, and the other user has no life and gets upset over the rep and asks for its removal.

After the rule:

<comment war>

<User 1 -reps saying grow up>
<User 2 -reps saying "Your arguments are useless and your attitude stinks>

No one would have their rep removed as they are both legitimate. It's only revenge if User 2 says "revenge rep" or "see how you like it". If they say "No you grow up, your point was equally invalid" this is then considered legitimate rep and not revenge rep, as they are referring to something externally to the rep and its comment.

In short: The rule was changed so rep isn't removed for the sake of it and brings the forum one tiny baby step closer to not having rep removed at all.

Kardan
19-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Basically the previous rule/system meant you couldn't negative rep someone after they repped you because this would be seen as revenge rep even though it is most likely legitimate. The rule was changed because it isn't revenge rep if the comment refers to a post they have made or their attitude, as this legitimises the point you are trying to convey and therefore isn't in revenge. It was a pretty good rule change ;)

Before the rule:

<comment war in some thread somewhere>

<User 1 -reps you saying you need a life>
<User 2 -reps them saying "you're point was invalid">

User 2 would have their rep removed, even though the comment isn't about the rep but a point made somewhere else. It is removed because it was done so soon after the other person repped, and the other user has no life and gets upset over the rep and asks for its removal.

After the rule:

<comment war>

<User 1 -reps saying grow up>
<User 2 -reps saying "Your arguments are useless and your attitude stinks>

No one would have their rep removed as they are both legitimate. It's only revenge if User 2 says "revenge rep" or "see how you like it". If they say "No you grow up, your point was equally invalid" this is then considered legitimate rep and not revenge rep, as they are referring to something externally to the rep and its comment.

In short: The rule was changed so rep isn't removed for the sake of it and brings the forum one tiny baby step closer to not having rep removed at all.

The rule change is fine, I just have an issue that -reps get removed in any case.

GommeInc
19-12-2012, 04:52 PM
The rule change is fine, I just have an issue that -reps get removed in any case.
Same. At least this changes brings the forum closer to not removing rep :P Before the change -rep seemed to be removed for any odd reason.

-Nick
19-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Shouldn't be aloud!

Chris
19-12-2012, 05:19 PM
The reputation system is flawed and has been for a long time. I've noticed that certain members use their high rep power to abuse it and issue it willynilly. Ideally I want to turn rep off and introduce a like system instead. The rep would still be displayed in the postbit and you would still be able to see all the rep you have recieved in user cp, but you wouldn't be able to issue anymore. The only think stopping me is the inevitable uproar that it will cause. :P

Kardan
19-12-2012, 05:22 PM
The reputation system is flawed and has been for a long time. I've noticed that certain members use their high rep power to abuse it and issue it willynilly. Ideally I want to turn rep off and introduce a like system instead. The rep would still be displayed in the postbit and you would still be able to see all the rep you have recieved in user cp, but you wouldn't be able to issue anymore. The only think stopping me is the inevitable uproar that it will cause. :P

Indeed it would cause an uproar, since the reputation system will be made pointless. The people that earned a high amount of reputation points, and even those who purchased reputation points back in the day will have their effort and money gone to waste. If a new system is introduced, it should be done so that people with a high reputation retain some sort of advantage over those that don't.

FlyingJesus
19-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Indeed it would cause an uproar, since the reputation system will be made pointless. The people that earned a high amount of reputation points, and even those who purchased reputation points back in the day will have their effort and money gone to waste. If a new system is introduced, it should be done so that people with a high reputation retain some sort of advantage over those that don't.

Which can't be done with a like system or anything else really

Is there actually any bonus to a like system over rep? We already essentially have it in that you can see how many (plus) reps a post has so I really don't understand the argument for changing it

Kardan
19-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Is there actually any bonus to a like system over rep? We already essentially have it in that you can see how many (plus) reps a post has so I really don't understand the argument for changing it

Yup.

I suggest we keep rep power, and just have the +reps and -reps visible on each post. So a +5, -3 for example. This gives us the 'like' system, and keeps reputation.

Chris
19-12-2012, 05:32 PM

If people with high rep power retained an advantage then there would be no point in turning rep off in the first place.

The only thing you can do with a like system is...like posts. Another option is to turn off -rep and allow for +rep only.

Kardan
19-12-2012, 05:38 PM
If people with high rep power retained an advantage then there would be no point in turning rep off in the first place.

The only thing you can do with a like system is...like posts. Another option is to turn off -rep and allow for +rep only.

Why does -rep need to be turned off?

dirrty
19-12-2012, 05:41 PM
show -1/-2/-3 for negative reps and leave it at that

Chris
19-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Because it gets removed the majority of the time anyway. Like I said, people with high rep power do abuse it and seem to constantly -rep the same people over and over again.

Kardan
19-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Because it gets removed the majority of the time anyway. Like I said, people with high rep power do abuse it and seem to constantly -rep the same people over and over again.

Why does it get removed though? That's the issue. It shouldn't be removed.

And people with high rep power aren't abusing it, they have a high rep power for a reason, they have earned the ability to change people's reputation points more than others. That's how the system works.

mrwoooooooo
19-12-2012, 05:50 PM
just hide peoples actual rep power in the postbit and give everyone 1 rep power

scottish
19-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Because 100% of reported rep is negative rep and that's what they/he seems to be most incompetent in dealing with? :P

or just tries to do it to get it done with quickly rather than viewing the specifics of the rep.

Chris
19-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Why does it get removed though? That's the issue. It shouldn't be removed.

And people with high rep power aren't abusing it, they have a high rep power for a reason, they have earned the ability to change people's reputation points more than others. That's how the system works.

Believe me, people DO abuse it. I am forever sitting here removing pathetic rep comments just because someone is holding a grudge against someone else.

scottish
19-12-2012, 05:56 PM
pretty sure I -repped the same user 3 times and you disabled my rep for a week+

why aren't you doing it with anyone else if this so called abuse is going on?

Kardan
19-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Believe me, people DO abuse it. I am forever sitting here removing pathetic rep comments just because someone is holding a grudge against someone else.

But isn't that what 'reputation' is? The only rep that should be removed are ones that break the normal forum rules. Racist comments, avoiding the filter etc. If someone is disliked, surely that should reflect in their reputation?

People may 'abuse' -rep, but I'm sure more people abuse the '+rep' feature. I've had countless amounts of +reps without a comment...

FlyingJesus
19-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Yup.

I suggest we keep rep power, and just have the +reps and -reps visible on each post. So a +5, -3 for example. This gives us the 'like' system, and keeps reputation.

Been suggesting this for years and for some reason no-one in power will touch it, never get TOLD that reason obv but it must be pretty good to ignore the obvious solution for so long

And the issue is...? Rep does not need to be removed in any circumstance, if people are being routinely bullied through it then that is a completely separate issue which needs to be sorted, it's not a problem with the rep system itself

scottish
19-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Been suggesting this for years and for some reason no-one in power will touch it, never get TOLD that reason obv but it must be pretty good to ignore the obvious solution for so long

And the issue is...? Rep does not need to be removed in any circumstance, if people are being routinely bullied through it then that is a completely separate issue which needs to be sorted, it's not a problem with the rep system itself

pretty sure thats a plugin and not default vbulletin aint it? in which case unless they contact the developer it wont get done

GoldenMerc
19-12-2012, 06:17 PM
pretty sure thats a plugin and not default vbulletin aint it? in which case unless they contact the developer it wont get done

Its not a plugin atm (fairly sure) its just a template change. Wouldn't take long to make it work both ways tho

GommeInc
19-12-2012, 06:35 PM
You could just remove -rep if it's really that much of a problem. If you do not like what someone says, don't rep them as you'd only be +repping.

Calvin
19-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Scott you give pointless -rep so don't be moaning about revenge -rep.. ;)

source: my latest received rep

Glen Coco
19-12-2012, 06:57 PM
i think it's good that there's a 2 way system (+ and -), there's no point when you can only give +

scottish
19-12-2012, 07:01 PM
disable -rep and remove every -rep ever

if ppl disagree with an opinion post

Empired
19-12-2012, 07:02 PM
What about pointless -reps WITH a reason, but an invalid reason?

example (off the top of my head): you post a picture of yourself in papoy and someone -reps you leaving a comment saying "HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE CHILDREN"

Oh and keep rep the way it is. No one's ever going to be happy with the rep system however it is, but changing it will just create a shed load more feedback threads shouting about the same thing. None of this madness about removing -reps.

Kardan
19-12-2012, 07:09 PM

example (off the top of my head): you post a picture of yourself in papoy and someone -reps you leaving a comment saying "HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE CHILDREN"

Oh and keep rep the way it is. No one's ever going to be happy with the rep system however it is, but changing it will just create a shed load more feedback threads shouting about the same thing. None of this madness about removing -reps.

If you're bothered by it, then -rep them back? :P

GommeInc
19-12-2012, 07:09 PM

Then it would be pointless and therefore it falls under the pointless rep criteria :P

Mr-Trainor
19-12-2012, 07:57 PM

People don't rep as much as they would like - there is a limit to the rep you can give, and you can't rep without a good reason really. That's the main difference.

Andii
19-12-2012, 10:51 PM
show -1/-2/-3 for negative reps and leave it at that
Lol agree

you can see how many +reps they get for a comment but not how many -reps why is that????

Chippiewill
19-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I think we should move to a like system, way better than rep.
http://i.imgur.com/QVAZ5.png

Chris
19-12-2012, 11:17 PM

That would be much better! Doesn't look like its wanted though.

Lee
19-12-2012, 11:22 PM
I'd be in favour of the like system, and then limiting the reputation system in a way that could keep others happy that have spend years gathering their precious points...

Mr-Trainor
19-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah I think a like system would be good, but not if that bar at the bottom shows below every post :P. I do think it could work quite well, though, I've seen it on other forums where it seems to work :D.

That would be much better! Doesn't look like its wanted though.
The only reason I see for not wanting it, is just the fact that some of us have quite a lot of rep and/or rep power and wouldn't want to just see it completely removed :P.

scottish
19-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Why don't we just remove the ability to -rep :S

People are saying they want a like/thank you system which is essentially +reps (With the exception you see +1 instead of "Scottish liked this post" and can actually add a useful comment), removes the need to think of somehow to compensate the people with rep.

Kardan
19-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Why don't we just remove the ability to -rep :S

People are saying they want a like/thank you system which is essentially +reps (With the exception you see +1 instead of "Scottish liked this post" and can actually add a useful comment), removes the need to think of somehow to compensate the people with rep.

Why does -rep need to be removed? The only person so far in this thread that dislikes the -rep system is Chris and that's because it's part of his job. Everyone else doesn't have a problem with reputation, whilst at the same time would like a 'like' system. I think a like system would be good, but reputation essentially does that already.

scottish
19-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Why does -rep need to be removed? The only person so far in this thread that dislikes the -rep system is Chris and that's because it's part of his job. Everyone else doesn't have a problem with reputation, whilst at the same time would like a 'like' system. I think a like system would be good, but reputation essentially does that already.

Which is my point, people are posting that they want a like system, this allows users to say i like this post but not I dislike this post, so removing -rep creates this system as you can only +rep for 'like' and nothing for dislike.

Mikey
19-12-2012, 11:57 PM
As people have said there should be a thank you or liking/disliking system that would replace the reputation system.

Mr-Trainor
20-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Which is my point, people are posting that they want a like system, this allows users to say i like this post but not I dislike this post, so removing -rep creates this system as you can only +rep for 'like' and nothing for dislike.
With a like system you just click a button and done, you've liked the post. With the rep system, you have a limit to how much rep you can give, and you have to give an explanation for your rep. Obviously that could be changed though, I guess. But then comes back the problem of what happens with people who have built up a good reputation over several years.

Maybe, idk if this is easy on vBulletin or not, you could have a like system for posts and threads, and keep the rep system on people's profiles - like it is in MyBB.

scottish
20-12-2012, 12:46 AM
With a like system you just click a button and done, you've liked the post. With the rep system, you have a limit to how much rep you can give, and you have to give an explanation for your rep. Obviously that could be changed though, I guess. But then comes back the problem of what happens with people who have built up a good reputation over several years.

Maybe, idk if this is easy on vBulletin or not, you could have a like system for posts and threads, and keep the rep system on people's profiles - like it is in MyBB.

You don't need to add a comment for your rep, you can simply +rep someone and that's it, it also allows someone to tell someone why they're giving the +rep rather than a simple I like this post.

Then rep would be pointless, people who built up rep over the years will have nothing to show for it and no ability with it (yes they may have a number in their postbit, but can't use this for anything)

I'd be all for disabling -reps, but i'd prefer to keep +reps rather than a like system.

Chippiewill
20-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Then rep would be pointless, people who built up rep over the years will have nothing to show for it and no ability with it (yes they may have a number in their postbit, but can't use this for anything).

You admit in your wording that show and ability are not the same thing so adding a clause in brackets to the contrary does not make it not true. They'd still have their number and still have the green blobs.

A like system has many benefits:

- No limits on liking, this would mean most likely that they become entirely unmoderated to an extent (If someone starts spamming a single person's posts then it's more harassment anyway), this would save chris a lot of time and people won't have to moan about their opinions being moderated. This would also mean that it would become much more casual and if someone makes a bunch of awesome posts in a thread they'll be very visibly rewarded for it. At the same time, if someone makes an ass of themselves that'll also be visible. Sure, the rate limit could be disabled on rep, but it'd be more heavily abused for the ridiculous value it's attained.

- The like system is not limited to likes, it can be many things including like, dislike, thanks, hearts, helpfuls, awesomes, rainbows etc., the most commonly used system fully supports more than just liking.

- A like system would be used much more, it would be more prominent, visible. Because there's no rate limit people would be liked more often.

- A reset. It'd put everyone back onto a level playing field, less arguments about rep, everyone has the same voting power.

- Simpler. We don't have to put comments (Technically speaking rep doesn't either except it does or it's classed as pointless rep) on it and we sure as hell don't have to justify ourselves. We don't have to wait to rep people for doing cool stuff when they do either.

scottish
20-12-2012, 01:45 AM
You admit in your wording that show and ability are not the same thing so adding a clause in brackets to the contrary does not make it not true. They'd still have their number and still have the green blobs.

- No limits on liking, this would mean most likely that they become entirely unmoderated to an extent (If someone starts spamming a single person's posts then it's more harassment anyway), this would save chris a lot of time and people won't have to moan about their opinions being moderated. This would also mean that it would become much more casual and if someone makes a bunch of awesome posts in a thread they'll be very visibly rewarded for it. At the same time, if someone makes an ass of themselves that'll also be visible. Sure, the rate limit could be disabled on rep, but it'd be more heavily abused for the ridiculous value it's attained.

- The like system is not limited to likes, it can be many things including like, dislike, thanks, hearts, helpfuls, awesomes, rainbows etc., the most commonly used system fully supports more than just liking.

- A like system would be used much more, it would be more prominent, visible. Because there's no rate limit people would be liked more often.

- A reset. It'd put everyone back onto a level playing field, less arguments about rep, everyone has the same voting power.

- Simpler. We don't have to put comments (Technically speaking rep doesn't either except it does or it's classed as pointless rep) on it and we sure as hell don't have to justify ourselves. We don't have to wait to rep people for doing cool stuff when they do either.

- disabling -reps gets rid of the moderated opinions
- creates same issue as we currently have with people pointlessly disliking it.
- doubt it'd be used a lot more, if someone needs help generally they will +rep people who help, 'like' removes the incentive for habboxforum members to play events unless 'likes' were going to be given out to event winners and also removes ability for it to be used in cases such as buying VIP, posting competitions, competitions in general, event weeks/special events (like HxSS, halloween week, etc)
- not a problem but obviously people on the forum for 8 years should get some advantage over those who have been on for a week/day/hour but yeah
- if the rep system got changed to remove -reps then it'd essentially be a like system, so obviously pointless +reps wouldn't be considered pointless then, and would allow the user to either give a comment or just simply +rep the post with no comment.

Kardan
20-12-2012, 01:57 AM

This is my only issue with the like system.

Chippiewill
20-12-2012, 02:06 AM
- doubt it'd be used a lot more

On other forums where they've had like systems instead they're used a heck of a lot more.

dirrty
20-12-2012, 02:22 AM
can see it possibly being abused more than the rep system (as in people liking every post within a thread).

David
20-12-2012, 02:29 AM
<snip>

cant you find a better one that doesnt have a silly bar at the bottom of each liked post?

http://icap.me/i/3eY2PoMTmv.png
http://icap.me/i/OMyaE5Ki8w.png

GoldenMerc
20-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Its funny, 90% of the people who complain about negative "pointless rep" forget to report their positive -reps.
Also to people who are saying -repping people who you dislike is wrong, if that is wrong most of the reputation is also wrong, due to the fact most rep is from people +repping their friends... Works both ways

wiktoria
20-12-2012, 07:11 AM
like system pls

YES I AGREE
but too many people would cry over losing their rep

Empired
20-12-2012, 08:09 AM
If you're bothered by it, then -rep them back? :P
It doesn't personally bother me, I was just wondering :P

Then it would be pointless and therefore it falls under the pointless rep criteria :P
Ok thanks!! I could only find the rule about pointless +reps

Mr-Trainor
20-12-2012, 08:55 AM
On other forums where they've had like systems instead they're used a heck of a lot more.
This, definitely. As I said earlier, a like system isn't moderated like a rep system, and you just click a button to like a post - no need to choose positive, and then add a comment making sure it's not pointless.

I guess the rep system could be changed in to a like system
- remove -rep
- remove the comment box
- remove the rep limits
However, the only problem then is that people will rank up in rep powers a lot quicker than at the moment. Usually on a like system, if you're using the rep system as a like system, then everyone's rep power should be 1 and should not increase. This would make it a fairer system, but then obviously there's the problem of people who have really high rep power and may not want to just see it reset to 1 :P. Oh, and the other major problem, what happens to the Christmas rep threads?! :P.

Samantha
20-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Surely if someone 'likes' a post they can just post or rep them. I don't think the rep system needs to be removed, just modified a bit.

The Don
20-12-2012, 11:14 AM
The rep system has been fine for the past 8 years, why remove it now due to a minority of people crying because they've been -repped? removing rep would be a stupid decision.

buttons
20-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Yup.

or we could just remove the part that shows how much reputation you receive for a post

lol?? people with high rep power don't even use this forum anymore.some people with high rep power use it to abuse +rep too and I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining if you were receiving the + instead of the -. not to mention the fact staff abuse the system to get higher reps and we have staff with like 500 posts and all their rep bars when no1 out of staff even knows them??????

no because you see who liked your post and some of us want to remain anonymous or we rep a post because we agree but don't want others to know we do? not to mention there would be no incentive to win VIP etc cause main reason for wanting it is to view reputation..

no like system no changing the system and yes I'm crying over my reputation points that I earned. even if you removed it the same people would be getting the likes etc so the issue with apparently abusing it still stands its just that we won't gain any power over it so its pointless but I guess good for you guys who get -repped and feel injusticed about it... chris stop ruining the forum I actually want to -rep you for it but you'll prob remove it based on something like "you jsut don't like me" when it's actually your actions/behaviour i don't like so therefore I'm justified to do so? only time it should be removed is if its constantly -repping someone to bully someone.

mrwoooooooo
20-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Lalala reset everyone's rep, give everyone 1rep power which it stays at and be done with it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

FlyingJesus
20-12-2012, 11:42 AM

Not a benefit, literally means that the entire system is pointless and people could "like" every single post if they were so inclined, making it mean nothing at all. The limit on rep makes sense. Visibility exists with rep already, just needs to have -reps showing as well

And this is necessary because...?

Again, used more = less meaning. Also since it literally does nothing it will have no effect on peoples' opinions or actions ever

Because Habbox is well known for being a socialist democracy

Simpler perhaps, pointless definitely. Genuinely cannot see a real reason for replacing the rep system with a like one when the exact same thing could be done just by making -reps visible on posts the way +reps are

Kieran
20-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I say that all -rep should stay. No more removal unless it actually breaks a rule in the comment, e.g racism.

scottish
20-12-2012, 12:25 PM
This, definitely. As I said earlier, a like system isn't moderated like a rep system, and you just click a button to like a post - no need to choose positive, and then add a comment making sure it's not pointless.

I guess the rep system could be changed in to a like system
- remove -rep
- remove the comment box
- remove the rep limits
However, the only problem then is that people will rank up in rep powers a lot quicker than at the moment. Usually on a like system, if you're using the rep system as a like system, then everyone's rep power should be 1 and should not increase. This would make it a fairer system, but then obviously there's the problem of people who have really high rep power and may not want to just see it reset to 1 :P. Oh, and the other major problem, what happens to the Christmas rep threads?! :P.

As I said about 3 posts prior to this, it wouldn't be moderated if -rep was disabled.

Pointless +reps wouldn't exist, the comment box would remain so you can give a more constructive comment on the +rep, or you could simply leave the blank/default comment. Rep limits would still need to remain as then you'd obviously going to get people +repping all their friends to get 80 rep power within a month.

Xmas rep thread isn't out until tomorrow because Chris; is the grinch

Andii
20-12-2012, 12:26 PM
The rep system has been fine for the past 8 years, why remove it now due to a minority of people crying because they've been -repped? removing rep would be a stupid decision.

Agreed with this, no one has really had any problems, I get -rep all the time from stupid people aka someone left a comment saying a dog is a companion this is a stupid post, what would that be classed as??? Revenge rep or an opinion rep lol but I don't complain about it just shows how sad someone is to complain about it,

scottish
20-12-2012, 12:28 PM
I say that all -rep should stay. No more removal unless it actually breaks a rule in the comment, e.g racism.

It should have stayed the same way it was for the last 8 years but for some reason chris decided to allow revenge rep now so he has less work to do

bring back bolt660 he was better

-Nick
20-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Returned -rep should not be aloud simple as can be!!

Chippiewill
20-12-2012, 12:55 PM
not to mention there would be no incentive to win VIP etc cause main reason for wanting it is to view reputation..When I spoke to Matt he said that seeing the names on who liked what would be VIP only.

scottish
20-12-2012, 12:57 PM
When I spoke to Matt he said that seeing the names on who liked what would be VIP only.

- disabling -reps gets rid of the moderated opinions
- creates same issue as we currently have with people pointlessly disliking it.
- doubt it'd be used a lot more, if someone needs help generally they will +rep people who help, 'like' removes the incentive for habboxforum members to play events unless 'likes' were going to be given out to event winners and also removes ability for it to be used in cases such as buying VIP, posting competitions, competitions in general, event weeks/special events (like HxSS, halloween week, etc)
- not a problem but obviously people on the forum for 8 years should get some advantage over those who have been on for a week/day/hour but yeah
- if the rep system got changed to remove -reps then it'd essentially be a like system, so obviously pointless +reps wouldn't be considered pointless then, and would allow the user to either give a comment or just simply +rep the post with no comment.

etc

-Nick
20-12-2012, 12:59 PM

This does look better! But then I don't think it much people would use it!

The Don
20-12-2012, 01:01 PM
If people are fussed about getting -repped there is the option to disable rep in their user settings. Changing a system which works perfectly fine and has been in place for many years for no other reason than to please a minority (who haven't even provided any reason as to why the system should change other than to add rainbows and awesome's) is ridiculous.

-Nick
20-12-2012, 01:30 PM
If people are fussed about getting -repped there is the option to disable rep in their user settings. Changing a system which works perfectly fine and has been in place for many years for no other reason than to please a minority (who haven't even provided any reason as to why the system should change other than to add rainbows and awesome's) is ridiculous.

that would make a lot more sence.. Just having an opition to disable!

scottish
20-12-2012, 01:31 PM

there is an option... and you've used it..

jesus christ, you really have nothing going for you do you.

Kardan
20-12-2012, 01:33 PM

This is just too funny :P

-Nick
20-12-2012, 01:35 PM

ok seriously now?... Stop commenting on all my posts!.. If I used it it is my opition!

GoldenMerc
20-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Well considering you're repping me saying return? pretty sure you cant complain about pointless reps ether way ;)

scottish
20-12-2012, 01:38 PM
This is just too funny :P

it's getting worrying now :(

ok seriously now?... Stop commenting on all my posts!.. If I used it it is my opition!

You just said having an option to disable it would make sense (obviously for +1 post count) when you've used the option that already exists to disable it...

Do you even know what you're posting most of the time?

-Nick
20-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Well considering you're repping me saying return? pretty sure you cant complain about pointless reps ether way ;)

Well I am a bodman!

GoldenMerc
20-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Well I am a bodman!

What....

isnt it "badman"
Anyway if your wanting to disable your rep go usercp :/

GommeInc
20-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Is this debate still going? :P

Those involved in using the rep system - Just ignore rep comments and rep points. Rep is worthless in today's money,
Those getting -rep and having a little cry - Grow up.

Simple.

Chippiewill
20-12-2012, 02:37 PM
'like' removes the incentive for habboxforum members to play events unless 'likes' were going to be given out to event winners and also removes ability for it to be used in cases such as buying VIP, posting competitions, competitions in general, event weeks/special events (like HxSS, halloween week, etc)
Well some would say it defeats the point of rep if you give it out for events anyway.

GoldenMerc
20-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Well some would say it defeats the point of rep if you give it out for events anyway.

It is, but its only 5rep points per win (which is extremely low) not sure how much furni you get per win mind

scottish
20-12-2012, 02:42 PM

and that's an argument that hasn't been mentioned in years (well properly) so most people are probably fine with it.

You're avoiding the fact though, remove that incentive people are going to be less likely to do such things.

Like a posting comp with no reward or maybe a months VIP instead of rep for each person? and every other thing stated in it.

Lee
20-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Chris; poll please.

The Don
20-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Chris; poll please.

there's no need for a poll, there isn't any valid reason to remove it.

dirrty
20-12-2012, 03:09 PM
@Chris (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55895); poll please.

there's no need for a poll, there isn't any valid reason to remove it.
to be fair, a poll will just conclude everything. this thread will continue forever until there's a consensus. however, i do think the poll should be mandatory for all users to use when they log on (i'm sure there's been a poll like that in the past?). mainly because it's quite evidently a major topic for some people.

scottish
20-12-2012, 03:11 PM
to be fair, a poll will just conclude everything. this thread will continue forever until there's a consensus. however, i do think the poll should be mandatory for all users to use when they log on (i'm sure there's been a poll like that in the past?). mainly because it's quite evidently a major topic for some people.

can only force users to read a thread, not vote

and pretty sure habbox removed it and said they'd never use it again as it just pissed off most people

Lee

I disagree with mandatory poll, its not something everyone is bothered about I'm sure a notice would suffice... :)

The Don

true, but the last time they used a poll (post what you're... subforum) they just ignored the results anyway

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

Turns out this discussion was brought up in June and this is what was concluded..

I've only ever looked into one plugin that adds this feature to vBulletin 4 and it would change the reputation system altogether. From what I have seen in the settings it would do the following: Anyone who liked a post would recieve a X amount of reputation points.

What I mean by that is, if in the settings it was set to: 1. This would then mean all users who would thank a post would then give 1 reputation point to that user. At the moment, you get so many points depending on the rep power of the user who has given you that reputation. So I don't think It would really work that well here on Habbox as most users like gaining the reputation power. Another feature this would bring is for users to post exclusive content and then it would make users post to be able to unhide that post. Although I doubt that would ever be used on a place like HabboxForum.

It's a nice idea and it is used on other forums but I think the current way is just fine. The suggestion that would could change for sure is reduce the amount of days you have to wait until you can rep the same person.

Kardan
20-12-2012, 03:22 PM
true, but the last time they used a poll (post what you're... subforum) they just ignored the results anyway

Turns out this discussion was brought up in June and this is what was concluded..

You do realise with the 'poll that they ignored', the poll ran and closed and it was outcome A. They then reopened the poll a week later and it turned to outcome B. Then after a few weeks, they went for outcome A. If you say they 'went against the result of the poll', that also means they 'ignored the results of the first poll and reopened it to get a different outcome' :P

David
20-12-2012, 03:27 PM

wheres that mattg post? I brought up the time between rep was too long like 2 months ago and it was denied.......

The Don
20-12-2012, 03:27 PM
You do realise with the 'poll that they ignored', the poll ran and closed and it was outcome A. They then reopened the poll a week later and it turned to outcome B. Then after a few weeks, they went for outcome A. If you say they 'went against the result of the poll', that also means they 'ignored the results of the first poll and reopened it to get a different outcome' :P

Yeh but they made a new poll as not many users were aware of the debate. Everyone who voted in poll A would have still voted in poll B, and Poll B had a larger sample size yet they ignored the majority and went for poll A...

Anyway, i've just looked through feedback and this like system has came up quite a bit and each time the majority have said that they prefer rep..

http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=752804
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=731054
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=676892
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=657653

Chris
20-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Some interesting points! I won't be doing a poll because we all know how that ended last time, but I might make some changes in that I stop removing rep completely and just closely moderate people who use it to bully people and work from there. What are peoples thoughts on that?

scottish
20-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Some interesting points! I won't be doing a poll because we all know how that ended last time, but I might make some changes in that I stop removing rep completely and just closely moderate people who use it to bully people and work from there. What are peoples thoughts on that?

then you're basically allowing pointless rep because you want to do less work.

Either have the old rules (so obvious revenge rep is removed, if I rep you then you rep me back it's fairly obvious 99% of time its going to be revenge and not a complete coincidence that you went to rep me just after I repped you unless it's seconds apart) or remove -rep as that seems to be the issue with every feedback thread thats made regarding reputation.

FlyingJesus
20-12-2012, 04:58 PM

That makes absolute sense - as I said earlier in the thread, if people are using rep to bully people then it's a bullying issue not a rep issue. To go about it any other way would be like saying verbal abuse is a language problem and no-one should use words :P

Chris
20-12-2012, 05:06 PM
then you're basically allowing pointless rep because you want to do less work.

Either have the old rules (so obvious revenge rep is removed, if I rep you then you rep me back it's fairly obvious 99% of time its going to be revenge and not a complete coincidence that you went to rep me just after I repped you unless it's seconds apart) or remove -rep as that seems to be the issue with every feedback thread thats made regarding reputation.

It's not that I want to do less work, its the fact that the reputation system is flawed. I shouldn't have to sit here wasting time removing immature rep comments when I have more important things to be doing.

That makes absolute sense - as I said earlier in the thread, if people are using rep to bully people then it's a bullying issue not a rep issue. To go about it any other way would be like saying verbal abuse is a language problem and no-one should use words :P

Exactly! I'll probably trial it although it will probably be after Christmas.

scottish
20-12-2012, 05:10 PM
It's not that I want to do less work, its the fact that the reputation system is flawed. I shouldn't have to sit here wasting time removing immature rep comments when I have more important things to be doing.

You don't have to, resign

You took voluntarily took the job, give it back to bolt660 if its that bad.

or remove ability to -rep from everyone

dirrty
20-12-2012, 05:11 PM
makes sense. the rep system will never be a fair one (neither will a like system). so if people feel the need to abuse it, it should be made quite evident to those at the receiving end (and then they can contact moderators if needed be). i personally never report rep or dish out -reps, so any changes don't remotely affect myself :P

@scottish (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=53890); removing -rep defeats the purpose of a rep system and makes it even more biased imo. if someone posts something which another user doesn't agree with, they should have the right to -rep in the same vein as having the ability to +rep for a good post.

and at the end of the day, it's only rep. yes, a few feel quite strongly about it, but come on. nothing will please everyone, and there's only so much one can do to please the majority. just +/- rep and move on...

scottish
20-12-2012, 05:15 PM
makes sense. the rep system will never be a fair one (neither will a like system). so if people feel the need to abuse it, it should be made quite evident to those at the receiving end (and then they can contact moderators if needed be). i personally never report rep or dish out -reps, so any changes don't remotely affect myself :P

@scottish (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=53890); removing -rep defeats the purpose of a rep system and makes it even more biased imo. if someone posts something which another user doesn't agree with, they should have the right to -rep in the same vein as having the ability to +rep for a good post.

and at the end of the day, it's only rep. yes, a few feel quite strongly about it, but come on. nothing will please everyone, and there's only so much one can do to please the majority. just +/- rep and move on...

Removing -reps essentially turns it into a 'like' system which a few people said they'd prefer. I'd personally prefer chris just left it the way it was before the criteria whenever it was put into place.

dirrty
20-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Removing -reps essentially turns it into a 'like' system which a few people said they'd prefer. I'd personally prefer chris just left it the way it was before the criteria whenever it was put into place.
well not really, as rep system builds a users 'power' in a sense that the more reps they receive = the greater amount they can dish out. whereas a like system is quite literally liking a post and that's it. the recipient can't use that upon other users.

and even so, if there is a like button, there should be a dislike button also. i'm all for EQUALITY yh

scottish
20-12-2012, 05:23 PM
well not really, as rep system builds a users 'power' in a sense that the more reps they receive = the greater amount they can dish out. whereas a like system is quite literally liking a post and that's it. the recipient can't use that upon other users.

and even so, if there is a like button, there should be a dislike button also. i'm all for EQUALITY yh

exactly so it's be more open for users than a like system (pretty sure most people would rather -reps removed than a new system where they all start on 0 thanks, and have no ability to increase their power only the count of thanks)

if they brought in likes then I highly doubt dislikes would be brought in as it creates the exact same issue with people abusing it/pointlessly disliking because their dislike the user etc.

but yeah, i'd prefer chris just changed the criteria back to what has been used for countless years rather than disabling -reps or a like system.

GoldenMerc
20-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Don't get it, why do a poll then not follow the results of what the members want?

FlyingJesus
20-12-2012, 05:39 PM
There isn't a poll lol, and polls are a stupid way to make decisions like these because the "majority" isn't always right. The idea that any rep should be removed at all is wrong, positive or negative, which is why it makes sense to not do so and as Chris has said simply deal with bullying cases as they come up rather than people moaning that someone doesn't like them

Chippiewill
20-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Don't get it, why do a poll then not follow the results of what the members want?
Democracy is a broken system.

Chris
20-12-2012, 05:42 PM

There is no poll. The last time we ran a poll for a big decision ended badly and I don't want a repeat of that. :P

GommeInc
20-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Sounds like a good idea. If people are sending rep out ("pointless" or not) then it must show how they feel about that particular person. It's sort of the point of reputation :P Not forgetting that rep really isn't all it is cracked up to be - it's useless as far as gloating goes.

There is no poll. The last time we ran a poll for a big decision ended badly and I don't want a repeat of that. :P
When are you reverting that decision? :P The wise members amongst us completely tore apart the arguments of the loud few who have nothing better to do with their time and make changes for the sake of change ;)

Grig
21-12-2012, 05:34 AM
There's no system that needs implementing in terms of 'bullying' rep. It's simply common sense of the manager. The majority of past forum managers took action and warned people over such things.

Chris
21-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a good idea. If people are sending rep out ("pointless" or not) then it must show how they feel about that particular person. It's sort of the point of reputation :P Not forgetting that rep really isn't all it is cracked up to be - it's useless as far as gloating goes.

When are you reverting that decision? :P The wise members amongst us completely tore apart the arguments of the loud few who have nothing better to do with their time and make changes for the sake of change ;)

Well since its had no benefit to the forum whatsoever I'll probably switch it back at the same time as the rep trial. *Waits for people to moan*

scottish
21-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Well since its had no benefit to the forum whatsoever I'll probably switch it back at the same time as the rep trial. *Waits for people to moan*

reverting what?

Chris
21-12-2012, 12:51 PM
reverting what?

Misc forum.

scottish
21-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Misc forum.

so revert the decision and let everyone spam post count again?

Chris
21-12-2012, 01:00 PM
The way the forums going at the moment I don't think post counts really going to be an issue.

scottish
21-12-2012, 01:09 PM
as long as post any image is put back im gd

Zak
21-12-2012, 05:32 PM

agree with this, people would voice their opinion more too

GommeInc
22-12-2012, 12:06 PM
so revert the decision and let everyone spam post count again?
They weren't, seeing as there is no evidence of these people whatsoever ranking high in the Member List so their efforts are/were all for nought. It was and is a non-problem (it's rare for a forum to have a random problem with these threads, very few forums seem to bother obsessing over worthless post count), but as we know these days - people seem to make mountains out of mole hills and find a problem with every minute detail :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!