PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Technology Predictions [+REP for Playing!]

Chippiewill
20-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Another year, another thread. I cannot believe we're right back here already again!

The Habbox Forum Technology Predictions thread makes the rounds again this year, and as I predict every year - I'm sure we'll find out most of what's happening in the next few weeks at CES. Until then we should probably place down some bets on what technology will be on our doorsteps by this time next year!

But first I'll have a quick review of last year's predictions.

Lower SSD Prices
Matt was the first to make the call on this one and I stepped a little bolder, naming a price. 50P per Gigabyte may have been a little too bold, although were getting close!

New iPhone
Doesn't take much predicting, in fact pretty hard to resist it. But Nli. correctly predicted the iPhone 5 as being Widescreen!

New Apple Product
A few people predicted a new apple product, mostly predicting an Apple TV. Only half correct however, we only got an iPad Mini.

4G
Samm correctly predicted 4G presumably as coming to the UK.

Cheaper and Better Tablets
Eoin247 correctly predicted that tablets needed to become cheaper and better in order to take some market share from Apple.

Last year's thread: http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=731416

Stephen
20-12-2012, 03:38 AM
my prediction is that apple products will be a lot cheaper

lol joke i predict that they'll be more expensive

peteyt
20-12-2012, 06:12 AM
I predict we might be closer to augmented reality devices, maybe some working prototypes although not too sure.

A lot more places will have access to fibre optics including from what I've heard some places currently with bad speeds .e.g country based.

I think we'll also see a lot more laptop/tablet/PC hybrids with Windows 8. Windows 8 could become a big player especially with the pro tablet coming out (although pricing and lack of 3g/4g may put people off).

We may see early prototypes for next generation gaming consoles e.g. the new playstation and xbox

Mr-Trainor
20-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Lets starts with the obvious; a new iPhone and iPad :P. However, I think the iPad will have a design change, possibly being more like the new iPhone/iTouch/iPad Mini with slate/black, and white/silver. New Mac Pro (not really a prediction - they've already told us!). More devices using Windows 8, I guess you could say that's kind of obvious as well. Lower SSD prices :P. I think an updated iPad Mini, and I'm just gonna say yes, it will have a retina display. A new iMac, but it won't get retina display. Demos of a new Xbox console, and possibly a release towards the end of the year. Can't think of anything else right now!

mrwoooooooo
20-12-2012, 09:06 AM
New xbox and playstation out for Christmas

Google tvs and Google tv boxes everywhere

Cheaper oled tvs

Cheaper higher res pc monitors (2560 x 1600)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

-Nick
20-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Props iPad with phone ?

Kieran
20-12-2012, 10:43 AM
I predict more successful wireless charging.

scottish
20-12-2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2013.htm
http://www.imgrind.com/10-technology-predictions-for-2013-and-beyond/
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac79/docs/Top_25_Predictions_121409rev.pdf

them :P

Richie
20-12-2012, 02:47 PM
A screen that you can touch instead of using actual buttons.

mrwoooooooo
20-12-2012, 02:55 PM
A screen that you can touch instead of using actual buttons.

What? :s

Title says 2013 not 2007

xxMATTGxx
20-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Blackberry will go bust / be bought out by another company if their new OS is deemed a failure. Their market share will also decrease even further in the mobile OS world.

peteyt
21-12-2012, 01:44 AM
Props iPad with phone ?

That would be awkward as a main phone. Reminds me of the iPhone 5 spoof where the iPhone is extremely long

Mr-Trainor
21-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Props iPad with phone ?
I think having iMessage and FaceTime is the closest you'll get to having phone functionality on an iPad :P.

mrwoooooooo
21-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Eventually phones will stop using phone signals and all calls/messages will be done via the Internet

iBlueBox
21-12-2012, 10:10 AM
iPhone 5S - Same design, better CPU, improved camera, maybe NFC.

iPad 5 - New hardware, improved camera, better CPU

iPad Mini - Retina Display, better CPU.

Retina iMac - All other Macs have had the option of an upgrade, sure the iMac will.

Apple TV - Not 100% but could be true.

scottish
21-12-2012, 10:24 AM
http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/

Apple TV is already out... what am I missing?

mrwoooooooo
21-12-2012, 10:56 AM

People think they're going to release an actual tv with Apple tv?? Built in

Mark
21-12-2012, 11:01 AM
NFC will take off I think

dbgtz
21-12-2012, 12:05 PM
PS4 in Japan
XBOX 3 worldwide
new iDevices as per uusal
idk much apart from that.

Munex
21-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Cheaper, improved 3D technologies; more and more people buying 3D televisions and what not, making more 3D media available.

Jutnux
21-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I predict Google Fiber will be even more of a huge success and it will move to major cities around the world.

Self driving cars will be developed further and might even be ready for release.

Windows will announce the development of Windows 9 due to the ****-up of Windows 8.

Oleh
21-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Xbox 8

PS4

4G in 97% of England

LCD TV's phased out in favor of LED TVs.

Stephen!
21-12-2012, 03:03 PM
A feature pack / update / service pack will be released for Windows 8 by the end of the year.

Mr-Trainor
21-12-2012, 06:12 PM

An actual Apple television set, and not just a little box :P. However, I'm going to predict that it will not be released in 2013 and that people will not be able to buy them until 2014.

Jack!
21-12-2012, 10:38 PM
iPad Mini 2, Current 3rd or 4th Gen specs?
iPad 5th Gen. A6X or A7 Core?

iBlueBox
21-12-2012, 10:50 PM
More 3D programming on main TV.

BBC are already moving into this such as showing Mr.Stink in 3D on BBC HD at Christmas.

mrwoooooooo
21-12-2012, 10:52 PM
3d is a fa.d and wont take off until all tvs dont require glasses

Recursion
21-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Eventually phones will stop using phone signals and all calls/messages will be done via the Internet

You need "phone signals" to carry data, not gonna happen.

Chippiewill
22-12-2012, 01:11 AM
You need "phone signals" to carry data, not gonna happen.

Not necessarily, you could use a different part of the spectrum.

Recursion
22-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Not necessarily, you could use a different part of the spectrum.

It'd still be cellular data, just bumped around the spectrum, no other method of mobile communication could take the load GSM/CDMA based networks do.

mrwoooooooo
22-12-2012, 10:58 AM
It'd still be cellular data, just bumped around the spectrum, no other method of mobile communication could take the load GSM/CDMA based networks do.
well eventually you wont get minutes or texts on contracts, just data :P

GommeInc
22-12-2012, 12:18 PM

Isn't the name anticipated to be called iTV? It will not have that name in the UK, for obvious reasons :P

Predicting anything for next year seems harder than it was for this year :/ The only thing that springs to mind is the possibility of a prototype/early version of a self-creating 3D image (one without glasses). Other than that, it seems the same old usual iPad 4, iPhone 5S/6, Samsung Galaxy IV etc :P Just an upgrade of names than anything extraordinary,

-Nick
22-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Hovercraft

Edited by Matts (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly!

Jack!
22-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Hovercraft

Hovercrafts have been around for a long time, there used to be a France to UK and visa versa Hovercraft Ferry, it was awesome.

EDIT: here it is:

http://www.photo-transport.co.uk/ferries/hovercraft/hover-margaret.JPG

http://www.photo-transport.co.uk/ferries/hovercraft/hovercraft.htm

-Nick
22-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Hovercrafts have been around for a long time, there used to be a France to UK and visa versa Hovercraft Ferry, it was awesome.

EDIT: here it is:

http://www.photo-transport.co.uk/ferries/hovercraft/hover-margaret.JPG

http://www.photo-transport.co.uk/ferries/hovercraft/hovercraft.htm

Not them ones small ones what you can use in town etc!

Jack!
22-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Not them ones small ones what you can use in town etc!

Again, been around for a while, just expensive, and the tech that powers them is around, just not in the small sizes, you can get small one person ones, but you are looking at like, 10k, and even then its not that small.

-Nick
22-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Again, been around for a while, just expensive, and the tech that powers them is around, just not in the small sizes, you can get small one person ones, but you are looking at like, 10k, and even then its not that small.

Really :O i heard of them before, can you use them in london?

triston220
23-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I predict that the Nexus line of devices will be upgraded to support 4G.

Chippiewill
15-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Bit late now that it's been announced at CES but I should have said widespread release of 802.11ac Wifi products allowing Gigabit Wifi. I'm personally very excited for it.

On the topic of SSDs it appears I was wrong about SSD speeds going up, no manufacturers made claims about substantial improvements during CES. However there was a lot of information on smaller, thinner, higher capacity and cheaper SSDs which is equally good in my opinion.

There was also a lot of Buzz around the 10 Watt version of the Haswell Intel CPUs which show a significant reduction on the previous 17 Watts adding significant time to Laptop battery life.

Tactus also showed off their tactile feedback touchscreens, morphing the 3d shape of the screen to make 'physical' buttons, allowing for more precise keyboard use for example.

samsaBEAR
19-01-2013, 12:33 PM
I predict that the Nexus line of devices will be upgraded to support 4G.

I predict that Google will go with Motorola for the next Nexus so they can avoid the current catastrophe that is LG and the Nexus 4. I'm patiently waiting to give them my money but they won't let me!

Chippiewill
20-01-2013, 12:24 AM
that is LG and the Nexus 4.

It's Google's fault, they significantly underestimated demand and only ordered a limited amount from LG.

xxMATTGxx
20-01-2013, 01:45 PM
It's Google's fault, they significantly underestimated demand and only ordered a limited amount from LG.

Seems to be the case, I actually would buy one right now if they had them in stock but hey ho.

triston220
24-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Seems to be the case, I actually would buy one right now if they had them in stock but hey ho.

Yeah. I did have the chance to buy one but foolishly decided not to.

I predict that Google will go with Motorola for the next Nexus so they can avoid the current catastrophe that is LG and the Nexus 4. I'm patiently waiting to give them my money but they won't let me!

Same here. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!