PDA

View Full Version : "Local Server"

GoldenMerc
21-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi,

Think I've heard someone do this before but im fairly tempted to make some sort of "local server" where one computer will hold all the data, a login (which will work how schools work) so the whole network will run off one computer in a way? How would I do this plus what are the pro's and cons of this?
Ross

mrwoooooooo
21-12-2012, 07:36 PM
http://www.ehow.com/list_6465278_windows-home-server-advantages.html

Recursion
21-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi,

Think I've heard someone do this before but im fairly tempted to make some sort of "local server" where one computer will hold all the data, a login (which will work how schools work) so the whole network will run off one computer in a way? How would I do this plus what are the pro's and cons of this?
Ross

Logins like that require an Active Directory domain, which requires Windows Server and a whole lot of learning, good luck.

DaveTaylor
22-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Logins like that require an Active Directory domain, which requires Windows Server and a whole lot of learning, good luck.
Not a massive amount of work, as long as you set the domain server and the subnets you are laughing really. The only major issue is creating the Windows PE environment to create the computers on the domain itself.

Nige
22-12-2012, 04:42 PM
You need a very good knowledge for this and like stated above I think, you'd need a "Active Directory domain".

Recursion
22-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Not a massive amount of work, as long as you set the domain server and the subnets you are laughing really. The only major issue is creating the Windows PE environment to create the computers on the domain itself.

eh, who uses Windows PE nowadays? For one offs, just install Windows manually and join to the domain, or for larger deployments use WDS.

DaveTaylor
23-12-2012, 04:37 PM
eh, who uses Windows PE nowadays? For one offs, just install Windows manually and join to the domain, or for larger deployments use WDS.
Windows PE is used a lot, surprisingly. More so in Enterprise than you'd imagine.

Yonder
24-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Erm is this for home? Is this just for data?

If it is then get a NAS drive, to store movies etc on.

GoldenMerc
24-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Its for my home, yes

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!