PDA

View Full Version : Online/Computer Games

Calvin
23-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Can somebody explain the difference between the Computer and Online games sections? I know it's console gaming, but what is the difference between computer gaming and online gaming?

Minecraft is in the computer games section yet I would class that as an online game too due to multiplayer servers?

RyRy
23-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Oh my god so happy you've brought this up, it really should be all in one forum like "Gaming Discussion" and sub-forums according to that. I've made threads where I've been like what section does this go in? And they end up getting moved despite being to do with gaming... Makes so much sense to sort this out!

Calvin
23-12-2012, 04:31 AM
Oh my god so happy you've brought this up, it really should be all in one forum like "Gaming Discussion" and sub-forums according to that. I've made threads where I've been like what section does this go in? And they end up getting moved despite being to do with gaming... Makes so much sense to sort this out!Yeah, it's like a lucky dip where you post and just hope you've got the correct forum depending on the moderator's opinion. Perhaps as you said, making it "Gaming Discussion" and having it like the following:

Gaming Discussion

Console Gaming

Console sub-forums? Most people state their console so may not be needed

PC Gaming

Minecraft
World of warcraft
etc.

And by doing this, there will be one less forum on the index. :)

Andii
23-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Lol omg Calvin I've actually wondered this but I didn't wanna say anything because last time I put a post like the same thing they all hated on it Lool :)

+rep for this

CrazyLemurs
23-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Wonderful idea, as sometimes the boundaries are just non-existent; one section provides the same discussion as another.
Precision is key, so changing this would probably make things easier to organise.
The 'Runescape' sub-forum seems really unnecessary and could probably be moved into Online Games or something

scottish
23-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Console/Computer games = as it says limited to computer games such as single player games you'd purchase on steam, or multiplayer you'd paly with a friend etc

Online = MMO games typically, runescape, LOTR, WoW etc come to mind

Runescape has been brought up several times to be merged but everyone agrees if it was merged its popularity would die down so it was always left as a forum rather than subforum.

The Don
23-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Runescape should stay as it is, wow could be merged into online and just add 'wow' tags to the forum or something since hardly anyone uses it...

IceNineKills
23-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Personally, Runescape should be merged. It's not active at all anymore.

mrwoooooooo
23-12-2012, 03:02 PM
merge compute games / online games and make runescape a sub forum

RyRy
23-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah, it's like a lucky dip where you post and just hope you've got the correct forum depending on the moderator's opinion. Perhaps as you said, making it "Gaming Discussion" and having it like the following:

Gaming Discussion

Console Gaming

PC Gaming

Minecraft
World of warcraft
etc.

Yeah that sounds good, I think Gaming Discussion should be the main forum (like Technology have it) and then PC Gaming & Console Gaming as sub-forums. Runescape should stay as it is as it isn't doing any harm there tbh.

Might even be a good idea to get rid of sub-forums in that altogether and use the tag feature for each thread like [PC] or [CONSOLE] option... I dunno.

xxMATTGxx
28-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Can somebody explain the difference between the Computer and Online games sections? I know it's console gaming, but what is the difference between computer gaming and online gaming?

Minecraft is in the computer games section yet I would class that as an online game too due to multiplayer servers?

Would make a sense. The majority of games these days have an "Online Mode" so any sort of game could specifically fit into that. I know it means just online only for the sake of games such as World of Warcraft but they could probably be combined into one nowadays.

GoldenMerc
28-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Merge online runescape and computer games or w.e it is, but please to the love of gods dont bring prefix's in they are so annoying...

xxMATTGxx
28-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Merge online runescape and computer games or w.e it is, but please to the love of gods dont bring prefix's in they are so annoying...

Everyone loves prefixes ;) Okay they don't really but yeah.

Andii
28-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Everyone loves prefixes ;) Okay they don't really but yeah.

I do :) I love the tv or film ones woop woop

xxMATTGxx
28-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I do :) I love the tv or film ones woop woop

Yeah they are ideal in the TV/Films forum for sure.

scottish
28-12-2012, 01:24 PM
if they got merged you'd still need subforums for PC, PS, Xbox, Online

Chippiewill
28-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Would it not make more sense to have subforums for genre rather than platform?

mrwoooooooo
28-12-2012, 06:35 PM
if they got merged you'd still need subforums for PC, PS, Xbox, Online

no you wouldnt, most people tend to know what platform they're for anyway

scottish
28-12-2012, 06:42 PM
no you wouldnt, most people tend to know what platform they're for anyway

you would as then you're going to have someone asking a PS3 question and people replying with xbox and pc answers (such as commands for doing something)

having PS3 PC and xbox in the 1 section would just be stupid and confusing

xxMATTGxx
28-12-2012, 06:44 PM
you would as then you're going to have someone asking a PS3 question and people replying with xbox and pc answers (such as commands for doing something)

having PS3 PC and xbox in the 1 section would just be stupid and confusing

Wouldn't they say if they are using that specific console in the first post? I can see where you are coming from also though. If it does go down the prefix way - We could even do images instead of text.

David
28-12-2012, 07:05 PM
We could even do images instead of text.

waiting for that to happen in competitions

BigtimeRyan
28-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Well I guess online games are in your browser and computer is downloaded?

Mr-Trainor
28-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah I don't think subforums are needed for platforms. If people want an answer specific to a particular console, then surely they'd mention that console :P. Optional prefixes as images (which as Hulk; just reminded me, still haven't been added to the competitions forum?) would be a nice addition though, particularly as they take up less space than the actual names written out.

scottish
06-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Yeah, it's like a lucky dip where you post and just hope you've got the correct forum depending on the moderator's opinion. Perhaps as you said, making it "Gaming Discussion" and having it like the following:

Gaming Discussion

Console Gaming

PC Gaming

Minecraft
World of warcraft
etc.

Could have something like that but instead;

- Games (category)

-- Games Discussion
--- Computer Games (child forum of games disc)
---- Online games (child forum of comp games, non forced prefix such as WoW, Minecraft, RuneScape)
--- Console Game (child forum of games disc, non forced prefix such as Xbox, Wii, DS, PlayStation/PS)

-- Forum Games

would do fine?

lawrawrrr
06-01-2013, 01:10 AM
There's an obvious difference between online games and computer gaming, PCs are a strange link between the two - they enable online gaming but can also play more console-developed games. I like Scott's layout because it makes it a bit more simple, and gets rid of the redundant sub-forums that take an age to navigate.

Would there be a way to sort the threads by prefix (so if you're looking for just WoW threads you can just search for them, stops repeat questions but that's just a bit of OCD on my part...)

xxMATTGxx
06-01-2013, 10:58 AM
There's an obvious difference between online games and computer gaming, PCs are a strange link between the two - they enable online gaming but can also play more console-developed games. I like Scott's layout because it makes it a bit more simple, and gets rid of the redundant sub-forums that take an age to navigate.

Would there be a way to sort the threads by prefix (so if you're looking for just WoW threads you can just search for them, stops repeat questions but that's just a bit of OCD on my part...)

When you go into a forum you can make it so only threads with that specific prefix show, for example:

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/2013/01/06/p1Zc6.gif

Advanced search also works in a similar way.

Calvin
06-01-2013, 11:11 AM

- Games (category)

-- Games Discussion
---- Online games (child forum of comp games, non forced prefix such as WoW, Minecraft, RuneScape)
--- Console Game (child forum of games disc, non forced prefix such as Xbox, Wii, DS, PlayStation/PS)

-- Forum Games
would do fine?Yeah that would be better than the one I suggested actually. :)

When you go into a forum you can make it so only threads with that specific prefix show, for example:

Advanced search also works in a similar way.For prefixes, maybe you could look into having a little dropdown box or something near the top where they can select a prefix? I presume a lot of new members that don't know much about forums may not know to go to the bottom so it could be useful for them.

xxMATTGxx
06-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Yeah that would be better than the one I suggested actually. :)

For prefixes, maybe you could look into having a little dropdown box or something near the top where they can select a prefix? I presume a lot of new members that don't know much about forums may not know to go to the bottom so it could be useful for them.

I'll see what we can do about that, I know it was possible in vb 3 via plugins/mods/edits. I've also just added something so that you can now click on the prefixs in the forums. Example: If I clicked on "[TV]" that will then load all of the "[TV]" prefix threads. You then click it again to show all of the threads - Instead of having to use the menu at the bottom.

Hopefully this animated gif explains it better:

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/2013/01/06/B57hu.gif

dbgtz
06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Would it not make more sense to have subforums for genre rather than platform?

I suggested this when either the CoD or Minecraft subforum was added, don't think I ever got any response to it :L

Personally, in response to Scott's suggestion, I don't see the point in distinguishing computer and console games and "online games" seems vague. I assume you wouldn't want something like Call of Duty in there but Minecraft is... If anything, it should be MMOs.

lawrawrrr
06-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I'll see what we can do about that, I know it was possible in vb 3 via plugins/mods/edits. I've also just added something so that you can now click on the prefixs in the forums. Example: If I clicked on "[TV]" that will then load all of the "[TV]" prefix threads. You then click it again to show all of the threads - Instead of having to use the menu at the bottom.

Hopefully this animated gif explains it better:

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/2013/01/06/B57hu.gif

I had no idea about the dropdown at the bottom, I like this clicking on the prefix thing though, nice add!

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 12:54 PM ----------

I suggested this when either the CoD or Minecraft subforum was added, don't think I ever got any response to it :L

Personally, in response to Scott's suggestion, I don't see the point in distinguishing computer and console games and "online games" seems vague. I assume you wouldn't want something like Call of Duty in there but Minecraft is... If anything, it should be MMOs.

But what about games that aren't MMO but still online? If I wanted to discuss a game on armorgames or something...

scottish
06-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Online games rely on the internet (Runescape, WoW, Minecraft, etc or even sites like omgpop)

PC games may include a multiplayer option but don't rely on the internet to access the game (Call of duty, GTA, etc)

It's fairly obvious what the difference is, especially if the prefixes are put in then when making a thread you'd look and see and be able to notice the difference.

I think it's better to keep them seperated as they're very different and each still has an interest.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 01:14 PM ----------

- Games (category)

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

would do fine?
Chris; make this happen pls

dbgtz
06-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I had no idea about the dropdown at the bottom, I like this clicking on the prefix thing though, nice add!

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 12:54 PM ----------

But what about games that aren't MMO but still online? If I wanted to discuss a game on armorgames or something...

MMO and browser games then. The point is, to call it "online games" is far too vague.

Online games rely on the internet (Runescape, WoW, Minecraft, etc or even sites like omgpop)

PC games may include a multiplayer option but don't rely on the internet to access the game (Call of duty, GTA, etc)

It's fairly obvious what the difference is, especially if the prefixes are put in then when making a thread you'd look and see and be able to notice the difference.

I think it's better to keep them seperated as they're very different and each still has an interest.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 01:14 PM ----------

Chris; make this happen pls

Minecraft doesn't require an internet connection that's my point.

lawrawrrr
06-01-2013, 01:37 PM
MMO and browser games then. The point is, to call it "online games" is far too vague.

Minecraft doesn't require an internet connection that's my point.

You do have to be connected to the internet to play minecraft, even single player. If they were to separate out like Scott is suggesting the description of the forum could be as you're suggesting I suppose, call the forum Online Games and the description 'for discussions about MMO, RPG and in-browser games'?

dbgtz
06-01-2013, 01:56 PM
You do have to be connected to the internet to play minecraft, even single player. If they were to separate out like Scott is suggesting the description of the forum could be as you're suggesting I suppose, call the forum Online Games and the description 'for discussions about MMO, RPG and in-browser games'?

http://i48.tinypic.com/6jovx2.png

And there's also the mobile & X360 Minecraft.

lawrawrrr
06-01-2013, 02:01 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/6jovx2.png

And there's also the mobile & X360 Minecraft.

Well I can never see that when I try :s

Okay but if that's your point then there's lots of games which are multi-platform... you just have to use discretion as to which forum.

Personally, I'd call online games the ones in-browser and MMO and RPG games, whilst anything else is PC gaming (which functions as another kind of console), so anything on Steam or on discs such as Sims, RCT, Age of Empires etc. There's always going to be crossovers but it shouldn't be a problem as long as the forums are properly labelled.

Chris
06-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Does this REALLY need changing because its fine as it is to me. It's been like that for a long time and it's not been an issue before.

scottish
06-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Does this REALLY need changing because its fine as it is to me. It's been like that for a long time and it's not been an issue before.

yes it would be better as there wouldnt be a web of sub forums that aren't even used and just most sensible in general

do it

Kardan
06-01-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm not entirely sure of 'Online games' at all really, because the majority of games these days can be played online... I don't see any issue with having RuneScape/Minecraft/Computer Games/Console Games personally.

scottish
10-01-2013, 09:45 PM
can we get this done now?

RyRy
10-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Innit we seriously want this done, the people who post in gaming discussion want this done so pls!!!!! Do it

scottish
10-01-2013, 10:01 PM
init Chris; do it!!!!!!!

Chris
10-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm reading it, you do not need to keep tagging me every 5 minutes.

scottish
10-01-2013, 10:03 PM
well you've had weeks to read it!!!

- Games (category)

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

is what we want pls

RyRy
10-01-2013, 10:08 PM
I didn't know anybody was tagging Chris;

(Yes I'm doing that on purpose)

Chris
10-01-2013, 10:10 PM
well you've had weeks to read it!!!

- Games (category)

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

is what we want pls

Well I think we've all learnt that making snap decisions isn't a good idea, so yes I've left it a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure about changing the runescape forum. If that was to be changed then where would all the trading threads go? Unless there was a trading subforum for all online games in general.

scottish
10-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Would just prefix them with RS/Runescape, i don't believe theres that much trading done anyway?

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 10:15 PM ----------

from looking at it, theres been 1 post this month so yeah not that much trading, if a thread is made with the "RS" or "Runescape" prefix stating Selling 50M I think it's fairly obvious it's a trading thread :P

Could also include a "RS-G&A" prefix or something along those lines for the Goals & Achievements forum as it seems to be the only (somewhat) active one :P

Chris
10-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Would just prefix them with RS/Runescape, i don't believe theres that much trading done anyway?

Doesn't seem to be too much so it shouldn't have much of an effect.

scottish
10-01-2013, 10:17 PM
edited the post above yours

even G&A theres been 2 posts this month so not even that necessary for a G&A prefix, RS/Runescape will do.

Chris
10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Is it really necessary to have separate subforums for computer gaming and console gaming? Why can they not just be one subforum with prefixes if needed?

scottish
10-01-2013, 10:29 PM
It's necessary as then steam is gonna get mixed with PS3 etc

Better keeping PC seperate (with the online subforum for rs etc) and Console on its own with prefix for the console they're on

Chris
10-01-2013, 10:32 PM
It's necessary as then steam is gonna get mixed with PS3 etc

Better keeping PC seperate (with the online subforum for rs etc) and Console on its own with prefix for the console they're on

But whats the harm in having them together? I can't see the point in having them as separate subforums when there isn't much discussion to go into them. Prefixes will separate them and make it clear if they are done together.

scottish
10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
It allows the onlines game to be betterly (not even a word but do i care?!?!) placed as online games go with PC.

I think it'd be better to seperate them to prevent confusion etc (atm they have the subforums for each) and would hopefully try to create a community (like rs used to have) with PC players and another with Console gamers?

Chris
10-01-2013, 10:39 PM
It allows the onlines game to be betterly (not even a word but do i care?!?!) placed as online games go with PC.

I think it'd be better to seperate them to prevent confusion etc (atm they have the subforums for each) and would hopefully try to create a community (like rs used to have) with PC players and another with Console gamers?

But online games can stand on it's own, it doesn't need to go under the computer gaming section.

What I'm saying is, there isn't enough discussion on both console games and computer games to warrant having separate sub-forums for each. You're wanting to limit the amount of sub forums we have but by doing this you're just making more when there isn't really a need for it.

scottish
10-01-2013, 10:43 PM
It's not making more subforums as it would contain what,

2 forums named 'game discussion' and 'forum games'
2 subforums of game discussion called 'computer games' and 'console games'
1 child forum of computer games called 'online games'

Currently there is what, 4 main forums, of which 1 has 2 subforums, another has 5 subforums, another has 1 subforum.

That's;

From 4 main forums down to 2
From 8 subforums down to 3

while at the same time allowing hopefully a sense of community being developed between PC gamers and between Console gamers. It also allows complete distinction between the different types without forcing Prefix's on the users.

Chris
10-01-2013, 11:00 PM
It's not making more subforums as it would contain what,

2 forums named 'game discussion' and 'forum games'
2 subforums of game discussion called 'computer games' and 'console games'
1 child forum of computer games called 'online games'

Currently there is what, 4 main forums, of which 1 has 2 subforums, another has 5 subforums, another has 1 subforum.

That's;

From 4 main forums down to 2
From 8 subforums down to 3

while at the same time allowing hopefully a sense of community being developed between PC gamers and between Console gamers. It also allows complete distinction between the different types without forcing Prefix's on the users.

Right I have it setup as you listed above but I'm not going to make it active until it's all final.

You mention that you're hoping this will build a community amongst all gamers, however if there's little discussion in the first place then I fail to see how it's going to change just because we reshuffled the forums. Remember that the forum as a whole is a hell of a lot quieter than it used to be so that isn't going to help in building up any sort of gaming community.

Also, the online games section seems a little bit buried inside computer gaming. You said it was already an effort to find things so having online games in there isn't going to help.

scottish
10-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Yeah but there is still a lot of people who enjoy games but because of it being such a messed up forum just no-one bothers with it I think so if it's reshuffled maybe theres hope.

I was rethinking could we do

-- Games Discussion
--- Online games (child forum of games disc, non forced prefix such as WoW, Minecraft, RuneScape)
-- Forum Games

So PC gaming would go directly in the 'Games discussion' forum, but within that theres a subforum for console and online. Still keeps PC/console separated and keeps online games from being burried as well as 1 less subforum?

Chris
10-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Yeah but there is still a lot of people who enjoy games but because of it being such a messed up forum just no-one bothers with it I think so if it's reshuffled maybe theres hope.

I was rethinking could we do

-- Games Discussion
--- Online games (child forum of games disc, non forced prefix such as WoW, Minecraft, RuneScape)
-- Forum Games

So PC gaming would go directly in the 'Games discussion' forum, but within that theres a subforum for console and online. Still keeps PC/console separated and keeps online games from being burried as well as 1 less subforum?

You reckon thats the reason? I somehow doubt that but I'll take your word for it. :P

There might as well just be a subforum for each one if thats how we're going to do it.

-- Games Discussion
-- Forum Games

I'm still not seeing why console games and computer games need to be separated though. If we think about it there really isn't enough of each to warrant them being made.

dbgtz
10-01-2013, 11:13 PM
I disagree with Scott's proposal, half the reason being that it's wrong in parts.

Personally, if it's changed, I think it should be more like:

-- Games Discussion
--- MMO (excluding Habbo) & Browser games (child forum of games disc, non forced prefix such as WoW, RuneScape)
--- Other Games (child forum of games disc, non forced prefix such as PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo)
-- Forum Games

Well I don't really like "other games" but it's better to be honest.

EDIT: The above proposal is better but it still shouldn't be called online games and should not include Minecraft. Really, calling it "online games" just merges with the other two sub forums.

Or

-- Games Discussion (non forced prefix such as PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC)
--- MMO (excluding Habbo) & Browser games (child forum of games disc, non forced prefix such as WoW, RuneScape)
-- Forum Games

scottish
10-01-2013, 11:22 PM
You reckon thats the reason? I somehow doubt that but I'll take your word for it. :P

There might as well just be a subforum for each one if thats how we're going to do it.

-- Games Discussion
-- Forum Games

I'm still not seeing why console games and computer games need to be separated though. If we think about it there really isn't enough of each to warrant them being made.

Then theres not much to go in games/gaming discussion :P that what i was just thinking what'd go in there, so would be better off having Gaming/games disc as main forum for computer games and the like then a console and online subforum. Well I know personally I avoid the forum as much as possible as it's just a web of sub forums. so hopefully this brings people together and say 5 people playing the same steam game will notice they have similar interests etc etc rather than those 5 steam members with 10 different xbox people :P It's possible!!

I disagree with Scott's proposal, half the reason being that it's wrong in parts. Also where would a game like The Sims (pc) go? It wouldn't fit anywhere in Scott's proposal.

Personally, if it's changed, I think it should be more like:

-- Games Discussion
--- Other Games (child forum of games disc, non forced prefix such as PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo)
-- Forum Games

Well I don't really like "other games" but it's better to be honest.

EDIT: The above proposal is better but it still shouldn't be called online games and should not include Minecraft. Really, calling it "online games" just merges with the other two sub forums.

PC games would fit into Games discussion, having MMO and 'Other games' isn't exactly creating less confusion, and then you're mixing online games (browser for example) with console gaming etc. It's not better :P

Minecraft could be removed from the description and just removed the subforum, with users who play it on the computer making a thread in computer (or staff could make a "Minecraft thread" in both PC and which ever console they have a version for)

dbgtz
10-01-2013, 11:29 PM
PC games would fit into Games discussion, having MMO and 'Other games' isn't exactly creating less confusion, and then you're mixing online games (browser for example) with console gaming etc. It's not better :P

Minecraft could be removed from the description and just removed the subforum, with users who play it on the computer making a thread in computer (or staff could make a "Minecraft thread" in both PC and which ever console they have a version for)

I didn't merge browser games with console games and I didn't say it was online games, I just called it browser games :P. Also we shouldn't ignore mobile gaming in this when creating anything new.

Also on Habbo you were on about PC community, well why is console gaming being merged? Surely that just deters from any potential PS/XBOX/NINTY community ;)

scottish
10-01-2013, 11:33 PM
I didn't merge browser games with console games and I didn't say it was online games, I just called it browser games :P. Also we shouldn't ignore mobile gaming in this when creating anything new.

Also on Habbo you were on about PC community, well why is console gaming being merged? Surely that just deters from any potential PS/XBOX/NINTY community ;)

Don't be silly (mobile gaming), I don't believe theres been even a thread related to this? is so they could stick it in the main forum with Computer games

It wouldn't, there'd still be Prefix's for the appropriate consoles which would be used.

Realistically I believe theres more hope for a community based on steam etc rather than xbox (also adding to the fact most people console game with their irl friends, where as from what I've seen over the past few years steam is mainly with online friends)

dbgtz
10-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Don't be silly (mobile gaming), I don't believe theres been even a thread related to this? is so they could stick it in the main forum with Computer games

It wouldn't, there'd still be Prefix's for the appropriate consoles which would be used.

Realistically I believe theres more hope for a community based on steam etc rather than xbox (also adding to the fact most people console game with their irl friends, where as from what I've seen over the past few years steam is mainly with online friends)

You may or may not believe that. The main point I want to emphasise with the division of PC and console gaming is that they share 99% of their libraries so what's the point of dividing it, really?

scottish
10-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Same thing I've said in the last 10 replies, creating a community

and each differs, a lot of the games are specific as well, also if asking about something specific in a game such as commands.

Also users differ as you may wish to find people to play a specific game with, separation makes this easy and can find a few friends and play similar games.

I wish for habbox to create a better community within this and I believe it wasn't possible due to no interest in the forum that was a web of subforums, changing this to 2 subforums would clear up any previous confusion and maybe even bring people together (hey you just posted a game similar to mine we share the same game preferences lets b friendz) and stuff like this. Idk if many other people agree (Well obv do as some quoted me saying they'd like to see it?)

only change I made to the original idea (Which you even posted saying you'd like to see i'm sure?) was to change Computer gaming and include it in the main forum

Originally, what did you think would go into gaming disc? :S

JerseySafety
11-01-2013, 12:15 AM

- Games (category)

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

would do fine?

This is good;

I think this would only benefit the forum really, easier to navigate, not as cluttered.

Would be a lot easier to moderate without all the subforums too.

Everyone loves prefixes and I feel an idea similar to this could possibly increase the activity. Please do it! <3

scottish
11-01-2013, 12:16 AM
This is good;

I think this would only benefit the forum really, easier to navigate, not as cluttered.

Everyone loves prefixes and I feel an idea similar to this could possibly increase the activity. Please do it! <3

would be a lot easier to moderate as well as i'm sure you're the only moderator for that section :P

Chris
11-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Here we go again!

Your suggestion:

- Games (category)

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

Good idea but I don't think the main games discussion area should be exclusively for pc gaming. It might as well be done like this:

Games
- - Forum Games
- - - - OLD Forum Games
- - Console and Computer Gaming
- - Online Games

The above is how it is at the moment but minus all those subforums. Anything from the subforums can go into the relevant forum and can have prefixes added to them. I've put Console & Computer games together because there isn't enough discussion on each platform for them to be separate forums.

Yay or nay?

scottish
11-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Here we go again!

Your suggestion:

Good idea but I don't think the main games discussion area should be exclusively for pc gaming. It might as well be done like this:

Games
- - Forum Games
- - - - OLD Forum Games
- - Online Games

The above is how it is at the moment but minus all those subforums. Anything from the subforums can go into the relevant forum and can have prefixes added to them. I've put Console & Computer games together because there isn't enough discussion on each platform for them to be separate forums.

Yay or nay?

I still think my idea is better obviously, doing that would create less clutter etc but would kill out hopes of making a community of console gamers and PC gamers in my opinion.

Trial the PC/Console separated for a month or something, if theres no discussion/no sense of community after a month merge them?

Better to try and fail than fail to try :P

Chris
11-01-2013, 04:12 PM
I still think my idea is better obviously, doing that would create less clutter etc but would kill out hopes of making a community of console gamers and PC gamers in my opinion.

Trial the PC/Console separated for a month or something, if theres no discussion/no sense of community after a month merge them?

Better to try and fail than fail to try :P

A trial then, we'll give it a month or two and see how it goes. If not we'll merge consoles & computer games.

IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THIS? ( RyRy; dbgtz;)

scottish
11-01-2013, 04:16 PM
A trial then, we'll give it a month or two and see how it goes. If not we'll merge consoles & computer games.

IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THIS? ( RyRy; dbgtz;)
dbgtz; is never happy with anything if minecraft doesn't have a place to go :P

and yeah that would be better, i know a fair few people play steam but typically no-one talks to each other really so to get this going would be good and using my original idea prevents dbgtz; from being unhappy about shared libraries.

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

Chris
11-01-2013, 04:18 PM
dbgtz; is never happy with anything if minecraft doesn't have a place to go :P

and yeah that would be better, i know a fair few people play steam but typically no-one talks to each other really so to get this going would be good and using my original idea prevents dbgtz; from being unhappy about shared libraries.

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

Hows that any different from what I suggested? Same forums but in different places!!

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 04:20 PM
No Scott if you read what I put, it is that Minecraft isn't an online game and you can play it offline should you wish. Therefore what I don't want is Minecraft under online games nor would I suggest it being called online games altogether, it is far too vague in my opinion. And stop trying to bloody separate computer and console, it makes no sense.

scottish
11-01-2013, 04:20 PM
What? if you trial the separated forums surely it'd be like;

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

? how were you planning on having it separated?

---------- Post added 11-01-2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

No Scott if you read what I put, it is that Minecraft isn't an online game and you can play it offline should you wish. Therefore what I don't want is Minecraft under online games nor would I suggest it being called online games altogether, it is far too vague in my opinion.

It's not vague its common sense when you see the description, and if using my suggestion of what is ^ minecraft would go in 'games discussion'

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 04:24 PM
It's not vague its common sense when you see the description, and if using my suggestion of what is ^ minecraft would go in 'games discussion'

No it's not. Also what's to stop consoles having what you would put under "online games"? Infact there are a fair few I could name... Also if you think Minecraft would then stop putting it under online games when you suggest structures.

scottish
11-01-2013, 04:26 PM
No it's not. Also what's to stop consoles having what you would put under "online games"? Infact there are a fair few I could name... Also if you think Minecraft would then stop putting it under online games when you suggest structures.

Because console games are generally single palyer or multiplayer allowing online and offline, not online only.

and as I said, again, minecraft would go in 'Games Discussion' using the original idea.

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Because console games are generally single palyer or multiplayer allowing online and offline, not online only.

and as I said, again, minecraft would go in 'Games Discussion' using the original idea.

Dust 514 (EVE Online for PS basically), MAG, FFXIV and probably a good few more that are on console, though I don't really know a lot of MMO/online only games. You can't really just go and assume considering you pretty much only use your PC :P Also in two of the games I've listed they're also linked to PC so putting "online games" under anything else but the gaming discussion forum would be stupid really.

scottish
11-01-2013, 04:37 PM

I said, again, minecraft would go in 'Games Discussion' using the original idea.

again, minecraft would go in 'Games Discussion' using the original idea.

minecraft would go in 'Games Discussion' using the original idea.

minecraft would go in 'Games Discussion'

would go in 'Games Discussion'

'Games Discussion'

dot

Chris
11-01-2013, 04:39 PM
No Scott if you read what I put, it is that Minecraft isn't an online game and you can play it offline should you wish. Therefore what I don't want is Minecraft under online games nor would I suggest it being called online games altogether, it is far too vague in my opinion. And stop trying to bloody separate computer and console, it makes no sense.

Why can't minecraft go under PC games if you're talking about the pc version and console games if you're talking about another version? A lot of games have online aspects to them but that doesn't mean they belong in the online games forum.

What? if you trial the separated forums surely it'd be like;

-- Games Discussion

-- Forum Games

? how were you planning on having it separated?

---------- Post added 11-01-2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

Games (Category)
- - Forum Games
- - - - OLD Forum Games
- - Online Games

They're all main forums except old forum games which is a subforum.

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 04:39 PM
dot

Didn't once mention Minecraft in my reply lol.

Why can't minecraft go under PC games if you're talking about the pc version and console games if you're talking about another version? A lot of games have online aspects to them but that doesn't mean they belong in the online games forum.

You could, it would be far better than shoving it in "online games", but I still don't see the need to split computer and console gaming :P

scottish
11-01-2013, 04:42 PM

You could, it would be far better than shoving it in online games, but I still don't see the need to split computer and console gaming :P

the highlight was games disc.

and Chris; if we trialed the seperated forums surely my idea would be better

where games in general can go under games discussion (so minecraft, black ops, etc), games specific to console or queries about consoles under the console subforum and same for PC.

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 04:43 PM

where games in general can go under games discussion (so minecraft, black ops, etc), games specific to console or queries about consoles under the console subforum and same for PC.

Or just abolish specific areas because they're pretty ******* dead as it is.

scottish
11-01-2013, 04:45 PM
and if you could read you'd see my wish to trial it.

saying oh screw it no point it's dead is stupid if theres a hope to revive it, HENCE TRIAL. If it doesn't work "oh well we tried" rather than not even attempting to do something...

Chris
11-01-2013, 04:48 PM

You could, it would be far better than shoving it in "online games", but I still don't see the need to split computer and console gaming :P

I agree that they don't need to be split. :P

You're making things more complicated than they need to be tbh. :P

scottish
11-01-2013, 04:50 PM
How is it?

It's fairly straight forward, and allows for a trial of the separation to actually attempt to bring people together. I don't see any harm in giving it a trial..

Mr-Trainor
11-01-2013, 04:56 PM
@Chris (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55895);' idea seems like the most straight forward and easiest to understand, and personally I think that would work fine :P. I rarely use the Games forums, but I'm glad the subforums are going :P.

Chippiewill
11-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Separating Console and PC games is a stupid idea because of multi-platform games, with the addition of the steam-box console into the mix we're going to start seeing massive line blurring.

If anything I'd do:

- Forum Games
-- OLD Forum Games
- Console and PC Gaming
- Casual Gaming

Casual Gaming encompasses browser based games and games on smart phones.

Chris
11-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Separating Console and PC games is a stupid idea because of multi-platform games, with the addition of the steam-box console into the mix we're going to start seeing massive line blurring.

If anything I'd do:

- Forum Games
-- OLD Forum Games
- Console and PC Gaming
- Casual Gaming

I like that idea.

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 05:35 PM

If anything I'd do:

- Forum Games
-- OLD Forum Games
- Console and PC Gaming
- Casual Gaming

Casual gaming is more of a play style though so doesn't really fit...

scottish
11-01-2013, 05:37 PM
exactly casual gaming is worse than online gaming..

---------- Post added 11-01-2013 at 05:44 PM ----------

Again

-- Games Discussion

allows discussion about any games generally, whether it's black ops 2, minecraft, a mobile game, etc

allows discussion about games specific to the PC or discussion about services such as steam, origin, etc.
---- Online games (child forum of comp games, non forced prefix such as WoW, RuneScape)

allows discussion about games based online (browser) or MMO type games (rs etc)

allows discussion about games specific to a console or services available to xbox live, ps network or queries about the consoles in question
-- Forum Games

still not seeing why people don't get that, couldn't be simpler really

Chris
11-01-2013, 05:45 PM
How about calling it other gaming? That will cover anything including online and games for phones/tablets.

Chippiewill
11-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Casual gaming is more of a play style though so doesn't really fit...

Actually it's not:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game

---------- Post added 11-01-2013 at 05:56 PM ----------

exactly casual gaming is worse than online gaming..

---------- Post added 11-01-2013 at 05:44 PM ----------

Again

-- Games Discussion

allows discussion about any games generally, whether it's black ops 2, minecraft, a mobile game, etc

allows discussion about games specific to the PC or discussion about services such as steam, origin, etc.
---- Online games (child forum of comp games, non forced prefix such as WoW, RuneScape)

allows discussion about games based online (browser) or MMO type games (rs etc)

allows discussion about games specific to a console or services available to xbox live, ps network or queries about the consoles in question
-- Forum Games

still not seeing why people don't get that, couldn't be simpler really

There's no point in segregating console and PC games

GoldenMerc
11-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Personally think sony, wii, xbox should be merged

scottish
11-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Actually it's not:

---------- Post added 11-01-2013 at 05:56 PM ----------

There's no point in segregating console and PC games

There is if theres any hope at even attempting to make some sort of community between gamers, imho. but as evidently no-one has an interest in creating that..

Most gamers would refer to casual as different and a way to describe a specific type of gamer or play style

Chippiewill
11-01-2013, 06:14 PM
There is if theres any hope at even attempting to make some sort of community between gamers, imho. but as evidently no-one has an interest in creating that..Well that's why my one makes sense then, you have the hardcore gamers in one forum, together, and the less serious Angry Birds gamers in the other forum.

Most gamers would refer to casual as different and a way to describe a specific type of gamer or play style"Other games" it is then. Should let us talk about board games again anyway.

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Actually it's not:

That's a casual game not casual gaming. Either way it still backs up the fact casual gaming is not just mobile and browser games.

scottish
11-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Well that's why my one makes sense then, you have the hardcore gamers in one forum, together, and the less serious Angry Birds gamers in the other forum.

"Other games" it is then. Should let us talk about board games again anyway.

while combining every gamer to the forum (different platforms)

idk my main motivation was obviously to attempt to create a community for the PC gamers who share interests etc, as I know like 5 of us who play a game and never post in the games forum really... so wished to change that so it would feel more community like or whatever.

the suggested change might make it a little more active as theres no nests of subforums.

Chippiewill
11-01-2013, 06:29 PM
while combining every gamer to the forum (different platforms)
It makes no sense with cross-platform games in the mix, people aren't suddenly going to be jarred by the odd thread for a PC only game or Wii only game and it should be obvious which of those are which.

idk my main motivation was obviously to attempt to create a community for the PC gamers who share interests etc, as I know like 5 of us who play a game and never post in the games forum really... so wished to change that so it would feel more community like or whatever.

the suggested change might make it a little more active as theres no nests of subforums.
You've confused community and clique

scottish
11-01-2013, 06:33 PM
cross-platform would go into the games disc forum as I mentioned 20 odd times previously :P

and I wish for everyone to be more active etc in the forum, I want a community to form within it, like runescape used to have a community.

Hell even myself I post more about games in spam than I do in the games forum..

scottish
11-01-2013, 06:55 PM
what's going on then Chris; ? :P trial or no? :P

Chris
11-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Well I was against the idea to start with. :P I think it makes more sense to have console gaming and computer gaming together. There can be prefixes anyway so it won't be difficult to tell them apart.

scottish
11-01-2013, 07:05 PM
okay when will it be done then? :P

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 07:07 PM
cross-platform would go into the games disc forum as I mentioned 20 odd times previously :P

and I wish for everyone to be more active etc in the forum, I want a community to form within it, like runescape used to have a community.

Hell even myself I post more about games in spam than I do in the games forum..

Then why bother at all with the sub forums when they'll end up getting virtually no posts as seen with the current ones.

Chris
11-01-2013, 07:08 PM
okay when will it be done then? :P

As soon as I've had my tea, I'm starving :( Will be done by 8pm at the latest.

scottish
11-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Then why bother at all with the sub forums when they'll end up getting virtually no posts as seen with the current ones.

There was 3 subforums compared to the current 8.

scottish
11-01-2013, 07:41 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/1c5f5c89d7472d8f26f8c347d8ca6fb4/tumblr_meut3nYCBg1rlynb8o1_500.gif

can it go in

- Console and PC Gaming
- Casual Gaming
- Forum Games
-- OLD Forum Games

that order?

Chris
11-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Don't rush me or I'll leave it and do it tomorrow. :noway:

I've made a start anyway and yes that order will be done

scottish
11-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Don't rush me or I'll leave it and do it tomorrow. :noway:

I've made a start anyway and yes that order will be done

well

Will be done by 8pm at the latest.

:@

and i've got something else to ask once it's done to piss off a few people no doubt :P

Chris
11-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Nearly done, just got to move all the threads over from the subforums. I'm thinking of adding a sub-forum inside other games to include all the currently stuck threads from wow, rs, etc.

dbgtz
11-01-2013, 07:56 PM
If you call it casual gaming I will punch you.

scottish
11-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Theres no point having another subforum within other games as theres nowhere near enough discussion in those subforums to warrant another subforum to be created :P

also, http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=768553&p=7803240#post7803240

ALSO can we change 'Console and Computer gaming' to 'PC and Console gaming'

Chris
11-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Theres no point having another subforum within other games as theres nowhere near enough discussion in those subforums to warrant another subforum to be created :P

also, http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=768553&p=7803240#post7803240

ALSO can we change 'Console and Computer gaming' to 'PC and Console gaming'

This forum wouldn't be open for posting, it would be for information purposes only. We have a lot of stuck threads and it is going to look stupid when they are moved over.

I'll have a look at that in a minute

No it isn't being renamed its fine as it is.

scottish
11-01-2013, 08:11 PM
It's another subforum though, which you're all for not doing :P

Just stick them in the current forum, or ignore them if they're not that important, which ones are there?

ones like the HxF server for minecraft, post your completed quests etc do not need to be stickied imho, they can be kept on front page by users if not then they're not that active :P

Chris
11-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Ok I got a bit sidetracked and that took longer than I expected. Anyway it should all be sorted now, let me know if you find anything I've missed.

scottish
11-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Are all the prefix's in place? Made a thread like 10 min ago only nintendo was there but assuming you were just putting them in at the time.

Chris
11-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Are all the prefix's in place? Made a thread like 10 min ago only nintendo was there but assuming you were just putting them in at the time.

They're all in now!

scottish
11-01-2013, 09:41 PM
can you change order so its comp/console > other > forum games

atm forum games is top :P

Chris
11-01-2013, 09:44 PM
can you change order so its comp/console > other > forum games

atm forum games is top :P

Knew there was something I forgot! Done.

RyRy
12-01-2013, 11:41 AM

IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THIS? ( @RyRy (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=81175); @dbgtz (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=28789);)

NO I DEMAND A RECOUNT

dbgtz
12-01-2013, 11:47 AM
I don't get why there is a subforum called "Other Games" but has PC games in there...

GoldenMerc
12-01-2013, 11:51 AM
I hate prefixs....
also hate that runescape is now most likely going to take over

scottish
12-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I hate prefixs....
also hate that runescape is now most likely going to take over

did you see how dead RS was? and it's in other games (where other MMOs like WoW are, not console games which you mostly play)

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 12:40 PM ----------

I don't get why there is a subforum called "Other Games" but has PC games in there...

PC games like what?

dbgtz
12-01-2013, 03:15 PM
PC games like what?

WoW, RS, DayZ, War Z, Plantside 2 etc.

scottish
12-01-2013, 03:18 PM
WoW, RS, DayZ, War Z

and they're online games, hence were previously in the 'Online games' section, which is what is included in the 'Other games' section..

I think theres 1 post about DayZ which was obviously put in the 'Online games' section before the changes.

War Z, WoW and RS are only available online.

dbgtz
12-01-2013, 03:19 PM
and they're online games, hence were previously in the 'Online games' section, which is what is included in the 'Other games' section..

I think theres 1 post about DayZ which was obviously put in the 'Online games' section before the changes.

War Z, WoW and RS are only available online.

Doesn't stop it being a PC game LOL.

Chippiewill
12-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Whilst I think War Z could belong in Computer + Console gaming, due to the way the split went I think it's fairly hard to put all the threads where they belong.

scottish
12-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Doesn't stop it being a PC game LOL.

not sure if you're playing stupid or what

'Other games' is 'Online games' just re-named...........................................

so them being in the 'online games' thread before this is the suitable section.......................................

yes they are PC games but they're online so belong in this section...........................................

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 03:23 PM ----------

Whilst I think War Z could belong in Computer + Console gaming, due to the way the split went I think it's fairly hard to put all the threads where they belong.

War Z is similar to WoW and RS in that they're only available online, the likes of Day Z has a single player mode/mod so that would belong in computer/console where as strictly online games, browser, mobile etc belong in 'other games'

dbgtz
12-01-2013, 03:26 PM
not sure if you're playing stupid or what

'Other games' is 'Online games' just re-named...........................................

so them being in the 'online games' thread before this is the suitable section.......................................

yes they are PC games but they're online so belong in this section...........................................

I'm not playing stupid, it's just a stupid name and any new user would post RS and all that in Console and Computer Gaming. Either the names need to be changed or the descriptions do.

Also just to be picky in the description for Console and Computer Gaming, console games falls under console software.

Kardan
12-01-2013, 03:27 PM
So games that are only available online have to go in other games, but games that can be played both offline and online go in computer gaming? The forum descriptions should highlight this then really, since it's guess work at where online only games go, since I'd class them as computer games myself.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!