PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Catchy
26-12-2012, 10:24 PM
£129 for a refurbished iMac G5, specs obviously aren't great and you can only run up to Leopard but I can upgrade the ram can't I? And could I install an SSD?

Like I said I know it's pretty dated but it seems like a good price and I miss OS X, when I used Leopard that was good enough for me. This obviously wont be my main machine more of something to toy with?

What do you think?

mrwoooooooo
26-12-2012, 10:27 PM
if you've got money to burn then sure?

Zak
26-12-2012, 11:07 PM
£129 for an iMac is a good price. I'd go for it - and if you don't like it, it's not like you're throwing a £1000 down the drain.

Anything to get away from Microsoft - I have a Macbook Pro myself (Laptop but still). I'd never go back to a Windows PC now.

P.S. I replied because you said no-one replied in help desk so feel special I came on for you :P

Amberr
26-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I know nothing about imac's but you were depressed that noone replied so hiya.

I say you should buy it because I have no idea.

Catchy
26-12-2012, 11:09 PM
£129 for an iMac is a good price. I'd go for it - and if you don't like it, it's not like you're throwing a £1000 down the drain.

Anything to get away from Microsoft - I have a Macbook Pro myself (Laptop but still). I'd never go back to a Windows PC now.

P.S. I replied because you said no-one replied in help desk so feel special I came on for you :P

You're so cute thank you! And yes I might as well, it also comes with a 3 month warranty which I guess is good. Do you know anything about the ssd question, could I put one in? Would it make a dramatic difference?

Zak
26-12-2012, 11:17 PM
You're so cute thank you! And yes I might as well, it also comes with a 3 month warranty which I guess is good. Do you know anything about the ssd question, could I put one in? Would it make a dramatic difference?

I virtually know nothing about SSDs, I'm not a hardware man myself. Though I shouldn't see why you couldn't install one, just make sure it's SATA II

Recursion
27-12-2012, 10:10 AM
You'll be stuck on Leopard for enternity and most applications will be dropping Leopard support if they haven't already in favour of Lion and uo.

Mr-Trainor
27-12-2012, 12:49 PM
You'll be stuck on Leopard for enternity and most applications will be dropping Leopard support if they haven't already in favour of Lion and uo.
This is the only problem I can think of, but £129 isn't much and if you have money to spare then you may as well go for it :P. Plus you could always sell it on if you decide you don't want it, and possibly get more than £129 because of the SSD.

xxMATTGxx
27-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Would you use it that much and do you have room for it? You could just save the money or use the money to buy something else for the current setup you already have or on something completely unrelated.

Catchy
27-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Would you use it that much and do you have room for it? You could just save the money or use the money to buy something else for the current setup you already have or on something completely unrelated.

I would just use the same monitor and put e box besides my other one I'd use it a fair bit I reckon, like I always say I hardly use my computer for hardly anything just casual use!!! For 129 I think it's worth it so I might go for it or like you said I could upgrade my current system hmmmm decisions decisions!!

Red
27-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Don't really think you need it or will use it. Also your room is tiny and you won't even have room for it.

Jack!
27-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Hackintosh.

Recursion
27-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Hackintosh.

This. Or save your money to get a MacMini.

Catchy
27-12-2012, 07:53 PM
This. Or save your money to get a MacMini.

Anyone who knows me knows that the words saving and Jacob just do not go together :p I might look into another hackintosh it was just such a ball ache last time!

Jack!
28-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Anyone who knows me knows that the words saving and Jacob just do not go together :p I might look into another hackintosh it was just such a ball ache last time!

Hackintosh is so much easier to do now, its unreal, there is a tool called MyHack, its awesome.

Catchy
28-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Hackintosh is so much easier to do now, its unreal, there is a tool called MyHack, its awesome.

Yeah I have an amd system at the moment though so:(

Jack!
28-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah I have an amd system at the moment though so:(

Ah I see, Probably would work out better though for you to spent say, the £200 you might on that to get some Intel parts, Maybe an i3, A new mobo and some ram would only cost around £200, And its a better PC you are getting, and the ability to run Mac.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!