PDA

View Full Version : iWatch

Jordan
31-12-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH giant Apple is set to create the iWatch — a smartphone that you wear on your wrist.
The James Bond-style gadget is said to have a 1.5in LED screen.

It will let users text, email and access Facebook — and communicate with the owner’s iPhone and other devices via Bluetooth. The iWatch will go on sale in 2013 according to reports from China, where most Apple products are made.

Other companies have tried to market similar smart watches in the past, but so far none has been a commercial success.

Microsoft gave up on its version in 2008, while Sony also produced a design that connected to mobile phones.

But inventors hope to begin production of a similar gadget to the iWatch called Pebble within months. Its creators turned to website Kickstarter hoping to raise about £60,000 to develop the device, and ending up getting £6million.

One reviewer said: “Pebble is a hands-free solution to determine why your phone is vibrating, without having to dig it out of your pocket.”

Apple is seen by Brits as the coolest brand around thanks to innovative products like the iPhone and iPad. The iPhone 5 chalked up five million sales within three days of its launch in September despite complaints about the phone’s maps.

Just saw this and I don't know what to think really.

zombies
31-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I thought this was a joke at first but wow...

-Nick
31-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Wow this llooks good!

mrwoooooooo
31-12-2012, 12:52 PM
it'll just be an ipod suffle with a strap on it, doubt it'll be able to text though.

Recursion
31-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I'll eat my shoe if this happens.

Samantha
31-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Easier to cheat in exams then if they have one on, stricter rules to come and probably a large price tag.

iBlueBox
31-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I think it's a good idea if its not necessarily a main product in itself.

But branded more as a companion such as an accessory with iOS devices.

GommeInc
31-12-2012, 02:25 PM
These sorts of gadgets just seem like gimmicks these days. The Nano was intended to be something you could wear on your wrist like a watch and that plan didn't really go anywhere, with the new Nano now being longer. New phones seem to be doing quite well in their own respect, I can't imagine there being much demand to have something on your wrist to interact with your phone when quite a lot of people seem happy to get their phones out of their pocket and use the large screens that were probably a huge selling point of the phone to begin with (iPhone 5, SIII, Nexus 4 etc). People like holding their phones in their hands - it's a statement like most handheld items these days. Plus using it for e-mail, Facebook and texts suggests that somewhere a marketing manager doesn't realise that smart phones do so much more than that.

Also the last sentence of that source less report is about 6 years out of date. They're just another brand these days, or that's the impression I'm getting :/

mrwoooooooo
31-12-2012, 05:09 PM
and btw, you wouldnt be able to type on a watch.

Jack!
31-12-2012, 06:11 PM
and btw, you wouldnt be able to type on a watch.

Apparently it will have Siri for everything like that..

xxMATTGxx
31-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Is this a thing where people find it to be a stupid device but will sell loads just for the sake of Apple? I can't see it happening but I won't be surprised if it actually does. Don't most people just look at their phones for the time anyway? :P

Mr-Trainor
01-01-2013, 03:02 PM
I think it's a good idea if its not necessarily a main product in itself.

But branded more as a companion such as an accessory with iOS devices.
Yeah I don't think it'll be anything more than an accessory, but we'll see :P.

peteyt
01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I think a year ago I suggested this in a post. I think it will be quite a neat idea actually and one I hope other manufactures do if it's a success e.g. Samsung. Sometimes I will get a text when walking home but my hands are full. It would be great if I could just tell my watch to open it and read it there and then without having to put everything down to then fish my phone out of my pocket

Mark
01-01-2013, 05:08 PM
How the hell can you text, email and go on Facebook on a 1.5 inch display?! Unless you use the keyboard on another iDevice?

Recursion
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
How the hell can you text, email and go on Facebook on a 1.5 inch display?! Unless you use the keyboard on another iDevice?

Even that'd be pointless though

Mark
01-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Suppose they could have Siri/Dictation to read it out and type it.

iBlueBox
01-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Suppose they could have Siri/Dictation to read it out and type it.

Siri would be the main input method for the device,

Some people created a few concepts a while ago:

http://www.siritricks.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/siri-watch.jpg\\
http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iSiri-08.jpg

peteyt
02-01-2013, 03:15 AM
didn't know sony had a kind of smart watch notification wise - don't think you can reply to stuff http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/smartwatch/features/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!