PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to Kill Messenger on 8th April (New Date)

xxMATTGxx
09-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Note: This is not old in terms of the previous threads about WLM being replaced by Skype. The actual WLM service is being killed and forcing users to use the Skype application instead.

I just thought this needed posted as I know a lot of people on this forum still use Windows Live Messenger (MSN) instead of Skype. Very soon you will have to move over to Skype or not use it altogether. I've bolded the key parts in this article below:

I had just heard from a source close to Microsoft that the impending death of Windows Live Messenger was perhaps a bit more serious than I had thought, and that the firm wouldn’t just be updating the software but would in fact be requiring users to stop using it. And now it’s official: Microsoft will shutter Windows Live Messenger and the Messenger service on March 15 and require customers to use Skype instead.

As bad as Windows Live Messenger is—and I was just joking about this POS on Twitter the other day—it’s also very clear that Skype simply isn’t an adequate replacement, not yet. So for those of you that do use Messenger, and that includes me, this could be a bit of a disaster.

News of the impending retirement came courtesy of an email from Microsoft, which is how the firm is alerting customers to the change, and a related FAQ on Microsoft’s web site.

“On March 15, 2013 we are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together,” the email alert reads, noting that if you “upgrade” to Skype, you can continue messaging your Messenger contacts via the Skype network.

“Messenger will continue to work as you know it today,” the FAQ notes. “If you are signed in with Messenger on your desktop you will see a banner notification to upgrade. When you click on the banner, an installer window will open with the request to upgrade. This will take you through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger.”

Oh my.

“After March 15, Messenger users on desktops will not be able to sign in and will only be able to upgrade to Skype,” the FAQ continues. “If you attempt to sign in, a notification will appear, and if you continue, you will be taken through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger at the same time.”

Skype is of course available in versions for the Windows desktop, Windows 8/RT/Metro, and various mobile platforms, including iPhone/iPad, Android, and Windows Phone 8. Some of you may be distraught to know that Skype now considers the Windows 8 (Metro) client to be its primary focus on Windows going forward.

I have to think some Skype update is on the way, and I’m curious how Microsoft’s messaging solutions—like the Messaging app in Windows 8 and Windows Phone—will be updated to handle this service retirement.

You can find out more about the move from Messenger to Skype on the Skype web site. But, again, Skype is just so lackluster at the few things Messenger did well, I’m not sure how well this is going to go.

Source: http://winsupersite.com/skype/microsoft-kill-messenger-march-15?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

GoldenMerc
09-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I'll keep my messenger program as some sort of memorial

Lee
09-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Why does China keep msn?

xxMATTGxx
09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Why does China keep msn?

Back in November it was reported that:

Microsoft's Skype and Messenger services are both offered as part of joint ventures in China, and any merger will require the restructuring of both Chinese companies.

Which would mean there is probably issues with them being merged together in that country due to their various rules/laws and god knows what else. Hence why they get to keep the service. I don't think this is the case no more but in 2010 China classed "Skype use" as illegal so yeah.

lawrawrrr
09-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Woo, been waiting for this seeing as my MSN hasn't worked for ages!! Skype has been the better messenger software for quite a while IMO, I just wonder if any features will be merged or it'll just be as it is at the moment...

Catchy
09-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I haven't used msn since I was about 13 so this doesn't make any difference to me. Quite glad it's being scrapped tbh

xxMATTGxx
09-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Woo, been waiting for this seeing as my MSN hasn't worked for ages!! Skype has been the better messenger software for quite a while IMO, I just wonder if any features will be merged or it'll just be as it is at the moment...

I do hope they will start bringing more features to Skype due to this though. Would be quite nice if they did indeed.

I haven't used msn since I was about 13 so this doesn't make any difference to me. Quite glad it's being scrapped tbh

Yeah I've been using Skype more and more for chats and so on than MSN - I haven't merged the accounts yet but I know some people still don't have a Skype account or still use MSN as their primary service.

lawrawrrr
09-01-2013, 04:03 PM
I do hope they will start bringing more features to Skype due to this though. Would be quite nice if they did indeed.

Yeah I've been using Skype more and more for chats and so on than MSN - I haven't merged the accounts yet but I know some people still don't have a Skype account or still use MSN as their primary service.

Some features really need to NOT be moved (custom emoticons for one) but some would be useful, like msn plus' colourful names and stuff. they were cute ;)

Can you merge your accounts now? How??

Catchy
09-01-2013, 04:08 PM

MSN just reminds me of tack and NO for colored usernames we ain't 10 years old laura;

xxMATTGxx
09-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Some features really need to NOT be moved (custom emoticons for one) but some would be useful, like msn plus' colourful names and stuff. they were cute ;)

Can you merge your accounts now? How??

There is Messenger Plus for Skype already actually - Although it doesn't bring back "coloured names", brings back many memories haha. In terms of merging - Just open up the skype login and then it will look like this:

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/2012/12/24/qLFHe.png

RyRy
09-01-2013, 04:17 PM
I logged into my MSN last night haha nobody I know uses it anymore, it's like an ancient relic ;P oh wellllllll!

Mr-Trainor
09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
I logged into my MSN last night haha nobody I know uses it anymore, it's like an ancient relic ;P oh wellllllll!
Same lol, last time I logged on only MattG was online :P.

Inseriousity.
09-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I've registered to skype and did the log in using hotmail account but I don't really like how it's all laid out so will use MSN until its dying day.

scottish
09-01-2013, 04:34 PM
They better bring games to Skype ;l

and wish they'd do a better history so you can open up file etc rather than having to have a specific program to open up the history..

lawrawrrr
09-01-2013, 04:37 PM
MSN just reminds me of tack and NO for colored usernames we ain't 10 years old @laura (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=61966);

well there's coloured names on this forum aren't there????

There is Messenger Plus for Skype already actually - Although it doesn't bring back "coloured names", brings back many memories haha. In terms of merging - Just open up the skype login and then it will look like this:

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/2012/12/24/qLFHe.png

I figured that was just to sign in with the MSN account and disregard all of 'lawrawrrr''s skype contacts, does this keep both then?

xxMATTGxx
09-01-2013, 04:42 PM
well there's coloured names on this forum aren't there????

I figured that was just to sign in with the MSN account and disregard all of 'lawrawrrr''s skype contacts, does this keep both then?

I believe once you click on that it will merge your Microsoft Windows Live account into your Skype account and then the contacts from MSN will then start to show on your Skype.

David
09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
a few years too late imo, but glad it's being done.

lawrawrrr
09-01-2013, 04:49 PM
you have to use your microsoft account to sign in by default? **** that....

Red
09-01-2013, 04:55 PM
I stopped using msn when I got my mac. My router blocked their messenger and I always had to use ebuddy which I hated. Glad people who wouldn't move over to Skype are being forced to now (hey mike heheh) Although I won't be able to merge mine cause I think all the new Skype versions are hideous and I'm using the old 2.8.

GoldenMerc
09-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I have loads of people on msn, had to merge them, what a bad idea that was

Chris
09-01-2013, 05:28 PM
I merged my msn to skype a few months back and have been using skype ever since. Took a while to get used to at first but I prefer it now.

Grig
09-01-2013, 05:47 PM
haha I win.

I'm in China and get to keep it woo.

Although Hong Kong is kinda separate from China so might not include us.

mrwoooooooo
09-01-2013, 06:39 PM
only features i'll miss are watching youtube videos together and being able to post images directly in to the conversation

Smurfed-
09-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I've linked it but I created a new Skype for it. It didn't even let me choose a name. Is it possible to change it?

peteyt
10-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah kind of glad. I still occasionally used MSN until I merged it a month or so ago. But I did get annoyed when having multiple conversations open. Did notice that Yahoo contacts if you have any aren't brought forward with Skype. Luckily I only had 1 or 2 and didn't really talk to them any more

HC
10-01-2013, 08:15 AM
This upsets me... because I use.... >___> MSN and hate Skype.... and with msn you can save SPECIFIC chatlogs to your PC... with skype it DOESNT do that and saves ALL. and then if you clear the message history or want to reformat... you lose it all...

xxMATTGxx
10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
This upsets me... because I use.... >___> MSN and hate Skype.... and with msn you can save SPECIFIC chatlogs to your PC... with skype it DOESNT do that and saves ALL. and then if you clear the message history or want to reformat... you lose it all...

To back up all the chats you have had with Skype on that machine then all you have to do is go to:

C:\Users\*User Name Here*\AppData\Roaming\Skype and copy the folder that is named with your skype account. Then paste it in the Skype folder again if you ever reformat or change computers.

Even better that there is an addon for Skype known as "Messenger Plus for Skype" and this will also let you save chat logs of your Skype chats in your documents.

xxMATTGxx
11-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Update:

I believe it's now being said that you could technically still sign into MSN using third party clients such as Pidgin and what not. But I can see most people will just merge or move over to Skype anyway.

Jin
11-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Well there goes Habbox. We are held together by MSN.

Recursion
11-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Well there goes Habbox. We are held together by MSN.

*Skype.

Get with the times old man xoxo

HC
12-01-2013, 05:54 PM
To back up all the chats you have had with Skype on that machine then all you have to do is go to:

C:\Users\*User Name Here*\AppData\Roaming\Skype and copy the folder that is named with your skype account. Then paste it in the Skype folder again if you ever reformat or change computers.

Even better that there is an addon for Skype known as "Messenger Plus for Skype" and this will also let you save chat logs of your Skype chats in your documents.

That does not help me tbh. It still does not let me save conversations from a specific users. Really makes me so mad that they are getting rid of a service i have used over 10 years >___< If I wanted to use Skype... I would use it as my main messenger already. But I barely use it... because I dislike it very much. I wish they'd add a layout option to it so we can choose between the Skype or MSN look.

xxMATTGxx
12-01-2013, 05:56 PM
That does not help me tbh. It still does not let me save conversations from a specific user. If I wanted to use Skype... I would use it as my main messenger already. But I barely use it... Only to call abroad.

It will save all of your chats in separate documents. Have them all instead of a specific one :P

HC
12-01-2013, 05:59 PM
It will save all of your chats in separate documents. Have them all instead of a specific one :PSo if I choose clear history in the Skype options does that erase all the conversations I have saved on the PC? Cause that's one thing I hate about skype - It shows all your previous conversations that day if you talk to that person again so I always click clear history.

xxMATTGxx
12-01-2013, 06:01 PM
So if I choose clear history in the Skype options does that erase all the conversations I have saved on the PC? Cause that's one thing I hate about skype - It shows all your previous conversations that day if you talk to that person again so I always click clear history.

I don't believe it gets rid of the HTML file. Once the messages have been said, it saves them. You could "test" it out and see if it actually does get rid of them. I personally like seeing what I have said previous in the Skype chats.

MotorStefan95
12-01-2013, 06:06 PM
It'll be sad to see WLM go but I find Skype to be superior to it in all ways.

Cassiieee
12-01-2013, 11:40 PM
I haven't bothered with MSN for about 3 to 4 years. I refuse to even download it, for my friends when they come round. It never works anyway.

David
03-03-2013, 07:58 PM
apparently not march 15th anymore

Hello,

Starting April 8th, we will begin upgrading customers from Messenger to Skype. The process will take a few weeks to complete. April 8th is the first day you may be required to upgrade. This is a bit later than the March 15th date we previously mentioned to some of you as we wanted to give you more time to make the transition.

To keep chatting with your Messenger contacts, simply upgrade to the latest version of Skype using the instructions below and sign in using a Microsoft account (this is the same ID you use to sign into Messenger). Once signed in, your contacts will already be there. You'll be able to instant message and make video calls with them just like before, and start discovering new ways of staying in touch, including Skype on your mobile or tablet.

Upgrade now

Yours sincerely,
The Messenger and Skype Teams

MKR&*42
03-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Oh I was getting ready for March 15th (not rlly), I suppose I'm glad it's been extended 'cause I still use MSN instead of Skype :P

Zelda
03-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Glad it was extended definitely as I do despise skype and would love to be using messenger tbh as long as possible :(

dno what im gonna do when it merges though/;l

Firehorse
06-03-2013, 10:07 PM
What annoys me is that I already have a skype account separate to my msn, and from now on i'll have to manually go to outlook.com to check emails rather than via a handy button.

It would be handy if they actually invested some resources in speeding up skype a bit, it still feels like a very resource-heavy program when it doesn't really need to be.

xxMATTGxx
06-03-2013, 10:38 PM
What annoys me is that I already have a skype account separate to my msn, and from now on i'll have to manually go to outlook.com to check emails rather than via a handy button.

It would be handy if they actually invested some resources in speeding up skype a bit, it still feels like a very resource-heavy program when it doesn't really need to be.

Because it really is so hard to just go to outlook.com, never heard of bookmarks?

Firehorse
08-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Because it really is so hard to just go to outlook.com, never heard of bookmarks?

Still, I am a creature of habit, and bookmarks are things I rarely use.

xxMATTGxx
08-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Still, I am a creature of habit, and bookmarks are things I rarely use.

Then maybe you should or even typing out "outlook.com" is just as easier like clicking a button.

chemidann95
08-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I don't use MSN anymore but hey I used skype more often now!

Aaron
08-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Like others have said, a few years too late. MSN was good back a few years ago, it was were everyone used to be online.

I don't use it anymore, just sign into outlook to view e-mails and such. Nobody that I know uses it much anymore. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!