PDA

View Full Version : Critical zero-day exploit in IE 6, 7, and 8 allows complete takeover

Chippiewill
11-01-2013, 08:49 PM
This is an old article but it's still very relevant:

Update your browser! On Saturday, Microsoft posted a security advisory that warns that Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8 are vulnerable to a remote code execution bug. It even notes that an attempt to exploit this bug in IE 8 has already been found in the wild. Luckily, IE 9 and 10 are not affected. If you can update, do so immediately.

Microsoft explains that in its default state, Internet Explorer running on Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 isn’t vulnerable. Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and Windows Mail also don’t appear to be affected, thanks to their increased restriction of JavaScript and ActiveX. If you can’t update to IE 9 or 10 for technical or business reasons, switching to Firefox or Chrome for general surfing will keep you safe from this specific vulnerability.
http://www.extremetech.com/internet/144503-critical-zero-day-exploit-in-ie-6-7-and-8-allows-complete-takeover

Now, we've just had Microsoft's patch Tuesday, however Microsoft did not manage to formulate a fix for this in time to pass the various checks to go out in the update. Hackers now knowing they've got a month to exploit this (Unless MS do an out of cycle patch) are likely to exploit this heavily, if you're running XP avoid using IE entirely if possible and on Vista/Seven if you haven't updated to IE9 yet then you should.

Catchy
11-01-2013, 09:32 PM
No sympathy for any victims of this... Will teach them for using IE tbh. It pains me to think that people in this day and age still use it, eurg.

Chippiewill
11-01-2013, 09:33 PM
No sympathy for any victims of this... Will teach them for using IE tbh. It pains me to think that people in this day and age still use it, eurg.

IE 9 and 10 are significant improvements on older versions. The IE hate isn't as warranted as it was.

Catchy
11-01-2013, 09:50 PM
IE 9 and 10 are significant improvements on older versions. The IE hate isn't as warranted as it was.

Still awful to use.

hamheyelliot
11-01-2013, 10:35 PM

It's a bit of a shame that where I am we're stuck with IE6 in the office, some people in schools/offices with a rubbish IT team genuinely have to put up with it due to software restrictions put in place.

Luckily I can just about install Chrome, but we still have the joys of XP and Office 2003 etc.

peteyt
13-01-2013, 01:15 AM

Not sure if it's just me but if i've ever had to switch to IE 9 e.g. problem with a site not working in chrome (happens but rare) IE just seems to be 10 times slower.

Chippiewill
13-01-2013, 01:44 PM
A lot of that will be the page resources being uncached.

GoldenMerc
13-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Should really keep updated with versions then.

Recursion
13-01-2013, 04:29 PM

It's a bit of a shame that where I am we're stuck with IE6 in the office, some people in schools/offices with a rubbish IT team genuinely have to put up with it due to software restrictions put in place.

Luckily I can just about install Chrome, but we still have the joys of XP and Office 2003 etc.

Corporates/Schools use it because it integrates nicely with their managed Windows domain networks, no other browser provides the level of remote management Microsoft has with Internet Explorer and it's Group Policy Objects.

xxMATTGxx
15-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Seems like they released a fix for it - http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/2013/01/14/ms13-008-released-for-security-advisory-2794220.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

peteyt
15-01-2013, 05:41 PM
A lot of that will be the page resources being uncached.

Half the time the browser just seems to freeze temporary. I avoid it as much as possible really. It's getting better don't get me wrong it just never seems to have the flow Chrome has for me, but it could be just due to the fact I'm used to chrome and prefer it.

Chippiewill
15-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Seems like they released a fix for it - http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/2013/01/14/ms13-008-released-for-security-advisory-2794220.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm surprised they didn't go straight to the out of cycle patch to be honest, it's hardly an issue you should wait out for if there are already exploits in the wild.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 08:05 PM ----------

I'm surprised they didn't go straight to the out of cycle patch to be honest, it's hardly an issue you should wait out for if there are already exploits in the wild.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!