PDA

View Full Version : How can I turn on a computer completely remotely?

Jin
14-01-2013, 10:05 PM
and before you say it WOL wouldn't work as I would be outside the network and I don't want to go to the effort of redesigning my network to make it possible.

I was thinking maybe something like using a phone to start the machine by sending a text or calling the phone.

Kieran
14-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Could purchase a GSM socket allowing you to text it to turn power on or off. Then just set in your BIOS to turn the computer on when external power is applied. Probably fairly expensive though. Or if you're any good with Arduino you could make one yourself. May work out cheaper.

Yeah, fairly expensive:

http://www.adaptivemodules.co.uk/index.cfm/fa/shopdetails/Product_ID/859

http://www.isocket.eu/buy/

mrwoooooooo
14-01-2013, 10:26 PM
virtualise the machine

HC
14-01-2013, 11:11 PM
No offense but wouldn't texting/calling your PC take more effort than just pressing the power button? ;o

Kieran
14-01-2013, 11:13 PM
No offense but wouldn't texting/calling your PC take more effort than just pressing the power button? ;o

I get the feeling he wants to do it from somewhere other than next to the computer...

FlyingJesus
14-01-2013, 11:18 PM
A REALLY LONG STICK or an elaborate rewiring of the power supply to allow it to connect only when you ring a phone that's hooked up to it and it vibrates far enough away for the appropriate wires to fall together and connect or hire a secretary whose sole job is turning computers on or a remote-controlled car with a finger on the front at the right height

You can thank me later

HC
14-01-2013, 11:27 PM
I get the feeling he wants to do it from somewhere other than next to the computer...

I realize this, but if it's freshly turned on how will he be able to access his computer from a different location :D You'd need something such as teamviewer :O running, Well unless he means from laying on the bed. Then I really match my username for thinking out of the box on my reply lol

Kieran
14-01-2013, 11:34 PM
I realize this, but if it's freshly turned on how will he be able to access his computer from a different location :D You'd need something such as teamviewer :O running, Well unless he means from laying on the bed. Then I really match my username for thinking out of the box on my reply lol

Just have something like VNC server in the startup programs...

RyRy
14-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Just an idea but you may be able to use a utility like LogMeIn and use the shutdown function on that maybe from a iPhone? I'm sure there's some kind of app which would grant you means to shut down a machine remotely via phone, using a magic packet kinda thing. Honestly dunno though, just giving ideas on what you could look for.

Stephen
15-01-2013, 01:19 AM
http://i.imgur.com/TFwD3.png

:hmm:

and ryan he wants to turn it on not shut it down you penis

peteyt
15-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Could purchase a GSM socket allowing you to text it to turn power on or off. Then just set in your BIOS to turn the computer on when external power is applied. Probably fairly expensive though. Or if you're any good with Arduino you could make one yourself. May work out cheaper.

Yeah, fairly expensive:

http://www.adaptivemodules.co.uk/index.cfm/fa/shopdetails/Product_ID/859

http://www.isocket.eu/buy/

How do these work? I gather they have to be on but in some kind of standby mode as they would need to be checking for the signal to turn on, wouldn't they?

X-Tom
15-01-2013, 03:06 AM
Paying for that? Lol
You could either have a phone on the other side, call it, and since its in vibrate mode it will move and u could easily triger something so it presses the button of the computer to turn it on.

If phone falls over a wood stick and that stick turned the computer on.
Far cheaper than those sockets things they told you :p

FlyingJesus
15-01-2013, 10:55 AM
OMF THAT WAS ACTUALLY ONE OF MY SUGGESTIONS I AM A GENIUS YESSSSSSSSS I KNEW IT

scottish
15-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Paying for that? Lol
You could either have a phone on the other side, call it, and since its in vibrate mode it will move and u could easily triger something so it presses the button of the computer to turn it on.

Stuff like that is stupid though, theres always a massive chance of it failing, once it's done you can't turn it off then back on etc.

So yeah only reliable solution I can see if you can't use WoL is Kierans post.

Kieran
15-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I reckon building one yourself as a project would be more fun. Could quite easily I reckon build something that is triggered with say a tweet.

Just looking in to it briefly it seems someone has pretty much already covered what you need using arduino.

http://www.twilio.com/blog/2012/08/diy-home-automation-using-twilio-powerswitch-arduino-and-pusher.html

Certainly sounds like a fun project to me!

Recursion
15-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Can your router not forward WOL packets? Even out ol' BT Home Hub 2.0 can do that and it works a treat.

Atlernatively, a new router with DD-WRT support for this.

Chippiewill
15-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Can your router not forward WOL packets? Even out ol' BT Home Hub 2.0 can do that and it works a treat.
You should not be using Habbox has a platform for advertising the business you work for.

DD-WRT for WOL is probably the best idea as Recursion said.

Kieran
15-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Where's the fun in that? Build the system yourself!

Jin
20-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Or if you're any good with Arduino you could make one yourself. May work out cheaper.

Yeah, fairly expensive:

Not happy to use my only spare arduino for that, it is currently got plans to be used as a timelapse dolly.

virtualise the machine

That just doesn't help at all.

If my arm was 60 miles long then yes it would be. :P

Just an idea but you may be able to use a utility like LogMeIn and use the shutdown function on that maybe from a iPhone? I'm sure there's some kind of app which would grant you means to shut down a machine remotely via phone, using a magic packet kinda thing. Honestly dunno though, just giving ideas on what you could look for.
LMI relies on a machine on the localhost being online in order to send the MagicPacket.

Paying for that? Lol

Well I am thinking I could use an old nokia phone, disconnect the ringer attach that to a relay with the on switch wired to the other side, power the phone from the telephone socket (free electricity) and then if I ring the phone the relay would trigger turning the machine on. If I used a continuous ringtone I could also hard shutdown the machine if I needed to.

Atlernatively, a new router with DD-WRT support for this.

Well yes but in the past I have done this except it caused my pc to come alive when I didn't request it to as some sad twerp must be sending magic packets out across the internet on a bot. Similar to the ones that constantly poke at our server.

I could of course use a VPN to send my packet but no, just no.

iLogan
20-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Not sure if this would work but maybe worth looking into...

Set BIOS so computer turns on with power then use:

https://ifttt.com
If: SMS or Phone Call
Trigger: Send IFTTT an SMS
Effect: Activate WeMo switch (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Automation-Switch-Apple-iPhone/dp/B0089WFPRO/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1339797617&sr=8-13&keywords=WeMo)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!