PDA

View Full Version : Cat Adoption

Cerys
23-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Haii. Ever since I lost my dog in november, I've been feeling very lonely etc, but didn't want to get another dog as I feel like I'm replacing Paddy with another dog. But then we started thinking about rehoming a cat.

http://leedscatrescue.btck.co.uk/CatsNeedingHomes thinking about getting the firrst one, claude, but I was wondering if anyones gone through rehoming etc before, and is it a quick and easy process?

Also, the house will be empty from 8am - 3pm, so is it a better idea to wait till summer holidays, so it can get to know us etc before we leave it for 7 hours? Sorry if this is in wrong sectionn

Thread moved here by Bolt660 (Forum Moderator): From 'Health life and Relationships', as its more suited here.

David
23-01-2013, 11:50 PM
yeah ive got a rescue cat, we got her home like a week or 2 after choosing her, since she had to get dressed and checked medically and stuff.
and yeah imo its not really fair if you're bringing home a new animal and then leaving it alone for 7 hours a day, although cats are very independant so it might not matter?

Cerys
23-01-2013, 11:56 PM
yeah ive got a rescue cat, we got her home like a week or 2 after choosing her, since she had to get dressed and checked medically and stuff.
and yeah imo its not really fair if you're bringing home a new animal and then leaving it alone for 7 hours a day, although cats are very independant so it might not matter?

Ahh so thats not long at all! Did they have to come check out your house orr..?
+ yeah, we were hoping the cat would be independant enough not to care, like you said. but idk D;

David
24-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Ahh so thats not long at all! Did they have to come check out your house orr..?
+ yeah, we were hoping the cat would be independant enough not to care, like you said. but idk D;

nope but id imagine different places have different checks before you take the animal home.

Empired
24-01-2013, 05:11 PM
We've adopted a few rescue cats before and have been pretty cross at the various shelters we got the cats from actually. They never ever tell you everything they know about the cat's past and we've adopted two cats which both turned out to be vicious and dangerous. We had to have one put down after it attacked my neighbour so badly she had to go down to the hospital because of a deep + infected wound on her neck.

I suppose not all cats are like that, though. Maybe we've just been particularly unlucky but I suggest you go and visit them and spend an hour or so around them in their shelter to make sure that they seem OK instead of just taking it home straight away... :/

zombies
24-01-2013, 05:17 PM
it should be fine! a friend worked loads of hours 5 days a week and has a cat, this has actually inspired me thanks!

Zelda
24-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Yea I have a rescue cat too, they didn't do any checks of anything and we got to take him home in a week. Spent a little bit looking at him before we chose tho, however like has been said they don't say everything, my one has really bad backs of his legs and is severely allergic to fleas so barely has much fur on his sides now and like none under him :(

Nikki
28-01-2013, 10:28 PM
I got my kitty from cats protection a few years ago and she is the best cat in the world!! They didn't do home checks when I adopted my cat because she was over a year old but my friend/relative adopted kittens and they both had home checks... but they aren't anything to worry about.

As far as leaving them all day it shouldnt be a problem. Cats sleep 16-18 hours a day! My cat got into the routine of going to sleep while we were at work/school so when we got home she would be awake too and even on the random day I don't go to school she sleeps in the same pattern!

Goodluck :)

Metric1
29-01-2013, 07:03 AM
I only have pure-bread cats and my main man doesn't like anything but himself and his homeboy.

Charz777
29-01-2013, 01:59 PM
My cat wasn't a 'rescue cat', but she did come from a pretty bad home. The owner wanted to quote: "get rid" of her when she was only 5 weeks and 6 days old, so we had her from really tiny.

I'd say wait until the summer if you're getting a kitten because they can be a bit mischievous, but they are great, great company and want so much love and fuss :P

Cerys
29-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Ahaa thanks guys, you've been a great help ;D +repping you all if i can c:

We went to the RSPCA in Bradford on Sunday and we've reserved two female black cats (12 months old) both saved from being drowned by a previous owner ;; we're getting them in the upcoming holiday c: gotta go through a homevisit, hopefully it'll be okay though
Currently they're called Mia and Maya, but we're changing their names to Lydia and something else haha. They look so grumpy , but trust me theyre not :P

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/148517_463845320321618_1662772976_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318941_463844830321667_284153409_n.jpg

garriet
29-01-2013, 04:26 PM
lydia is such an ugly name omg you can't name it that. but they look proper cute anyway, good luck with them!!

oh and in ur first post about not replacing your dog, i went through the exact same and stuff. like my mum said she'd never get another dog after one passed away but we ended up getting 2 and they're completely different personalities and stuff so i wouldn't class it as replacing your other dog x

Cerys
29-01-2013, 04:44 PM
lydia is such an ugly name omg you can't name it that. but they look proper cute anyway, good luck with them!!

oh and in ur first post about not replacing your dog, i went through the exact same and stuff. like my mum said she'd never get another dog after one passed away but we ended up getting 2 and they're completely different personalities and stuff so i wouldn't class it as replacing your other dog x

Omg no I love the name lydia ;o 'tis bootiful.

+ Yess, but no haha. I see what you mean, but I just would feel like I was replacing him etc and betraying him. Like, each time I see a dog in the street which is really qt, I end up saying 'aww mum thats the cutest dog in the world' then I kick myself because Paddy was, not that one, if you see what I mean haha. It's quite hard explaining how I think, as I do it so badly xP

Zelda
29-01-2013, 04:55 PM

We went to the RSPCA in Bradford on Sunday and we've reserved two female black cats (12 months old) both saved from being drowned by a previous owner ;; we're getting them in the upcoming holiday c: gotta go through a homevisit, hopefully it'll be okay though
Currently they're called Mia and Maya, but we're changing their names to Lydia and something else haha. They look so grumpy , but trust me theyre not :P

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/148517_463845320321618_1662772976_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318941_463844830321667_284153409_n.jpg

oo gl with house check, and really good choices there they are absolutely beautiful cats and they don't look grumpy at all ;o

Cerys
29-01-2013, 05:19 PM
oo gl with house check, and really good choices there they are absolutely beautiful cats and they don't look grumpy at all ;o

Ikr, they're amazing c: The woman who was showing us the cats said that most people go for anything but black cats as they think black is ugly, but I really prefer black cats!

Sorry to hear about your cat ;_; do you think s/he'll ever regain the hair? D;

Zelda
29-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Ikr, they're amazing c: The woman who was showing us the cats said that most people go for anything but black cats as they think black is ugly, but I really prefer black cats!

Sorry to hear about your cat ;_; do you think s/he'll ever regain the hair? D;

urm he does regain hair once he's been flee sprayed but often looses it again :( did go back to full hair at one point but not much atm. And yea I love black cats tbh, my one is black and white but its really nice how it's layed out, with stomach being white and front side of neck and chin, with everything else being black looks quite good :P

Cerys
29-01-2013, 06:09 PM
urm he does regain hair once he's been flee sprayed but often looses it again :( did go back to full hair at one point but not much atm. And yea I love black cats tbh, my one is black and white but its really nice how it's layed out, with stomach being white and front side of neck and chin, with everything else being black looks quite good :P

N'aww he sounds adorable!

Nikki
29-01-2013, 08:14 PM
My Cat is black too! They look cute and kudos on you picking rescue cats/not kittens they will have happy lives :)

Paige.
30-01-2013, 08:12 PM

AWWW they're beautiful! they look similar to my two black cats :P

Absently
01-02-2013, 02:32 AM

Aw, those cats look so cute! I used to have two black cats too, sadly one passed away though, the other one is still alive and FAT though!! I don't see why anyone wouldn't want a cat, when I was younger I really wanted black cats but that might have been because I wanted to be a witch... Good luck with your new cats btw :)

I looked through that website and I loved all those cats omg, want them all! Love animals so much

Cerys
01-02-2013, 04:53 PM
My Cat is black too! They look cute and kudos on you picking rescue cats/not kittens they will have happy lives :)
We didn't want kittens as you don't know what sort of cat personality they'll have when they're older. + Cats are way cuter haha c:

AWWW they're beautiful! they look similar to my two black cats :P
Aww black cats are the best c:

Aw, those cats look so cute! I used to have two black cats too, sadly one passed away though, the other one is still alive and FAT though!! I don't see why anyone wouldn't want a cat, when I was younger I really wanted black cats but that might have been because I wanted to be a witch... Good luck with your new cats btw :)

I looked through that website and I loved all those cats omg, want them all! Love animals so much
Aww sorry to hear about your cat ;_; + the fatter the better, I think hehe ;) ;)
tbh.. I think you'd make a great witch! ;3

We're picking them up at 11am tomorrow! Haha excited ;3

Zelda
01-02-2013, 04:57 PM
lmao kelly i love chubby cats they so nice to cuddle!

I'm not sure that i'd agree that adults are cuter than kittens tho cerys :P they still lovely and wonderful tho

Cerys
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
But but but they are ;;

kittens are all scratchy and bitey and their heads are like.. huge haha c:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!