PDA

View Full Version : Apple loses most valuable company title

Chippiewill
25-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Apple shares have fallen further, meaning that it has been overtaken by oil giant Exxon Mobil as the world's most valuable publicly-traded company.

The iPhone-maker's stock fell 2.4% to $439 a share for a market value of $413bn (£261bn). Exxon's value is currently around $418bn.

Its shares have fallen almost 40% since hitting a record $702 in September.

The tech giant has been hit by fears over its future growth, despite record profits.

The firm said late on Wednesday it had sold more iPhones (47.8 million) and iPads (22.9 million) in the final three months of last year than in any previous quarter, but investors had expected yet more.

On Thursday, about $50bn was wiped off Apple's value after the biggest daily drop in the firm's stock in four years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21205692

Hardly unexpected, their share price wasn't exactly sensible even if their profit margins are good.

peteyt
27-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm not surprised either.

When it comes to the iPhone apple has been basing their price in my opinion on the price they used when they brought out the first iPhone. Back then there was really not much competition and smartphones weren't really heard of much. The iPhone became the first real well known smart phone but apple has refused to change their prices and adapt in the wake of competition from the now popular Android os and from manufactures such as Samsung. A lot of people have realised they can get exactly the same at cheaper prices. Some people will still just buy because its apple but a lot are looking elsewhere especially when a lot have financial issues.

I also read that Apple could consider creating a cheaper model. I hope they don't do this - to me offering a lower version e.g. an iPhone slim at a cheaper price would be extremely insulting because people can get higher for better still. Having other models might work for them but they still should lower their main model price to.

The way I see it is a lot of people who fancy iPhones would probably still buy it if it was cheaper, if anything a lot more would consider it over android because while I do prefer Android, pricing is what makes a lot of people pick android over other phones.

zombies
27-01-2013, 10:50 PM
not even surprised. glad they're not #1 now :)

GommeInc
27-01-2013, 11:00 PM
The market value of Exxon Mobil has been rising for months now so it seemed inevitable they will regain the top spot. The oil and gas industries in America have respectively increased in value as these companies, particular Mobil, has found more areas to explore and add to their increasing mining portfolio.

You could argue the release of Maps, the poor decisions to take other tech companies to Court and the lack luster products they've been manufacturing as of late are the problem, but this is far from the truth. That, and Apple has always dropped in value around this time of the year so it doesn't seem that surprising.

iBlueBox
27-01-2013, 11:03 PM
To be honest,
Considering Apple only has four main product lines,
iPod , iPad , iPhone and iMac

There doing pretty decent when you compare them to other companies such as Samsung who make like everything, including fridges, freezers , and all that.

peteyt
28-01-2013, 04:47 PM
To be honest,

There doing pretty decent when you compare them to other companies such as Samsung who make like everything, including fridges, freezers , and all that.

I wonder if they will start doing more product lines though to gain more revenue

lawrawrrr
28-01-2013, 05:40 PM
To be honest,

that's because they're fads which they can charge soooooooooooooooooooooo much money for.

__

I didn't even realise Apple was top to be honest, I always assumed it would be gas/oil companies considering the current climate!

iBlueBox
28-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I wonder if they will start doing more product lines though to gain more revenue

Haha, I doubt we'll be seeing an Apple Washing Machine any time soon.

The only markets Apple could really attempt in expanding I see would be Smartwatches, Television Sets, Gaming Console or even Cameras.
But Steve was clear on never having too many product lines.

peteyt
28-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Haha, I doubt we'll be seeing an Apple Washing Machine any time soon.

The only markets Apple could really attempt in expanding I see would be Smartwatches, Television Sets, Gaming Console or even Cameras.
But Steve was clear on never having too many product lines.

Didn't Steve also hate the idea of an iPad Mini and now he's gone well look what we have.

In the phone shop at the Tesco I work for one of the guys there says he thinks they've lost their passion since Steve left and now its just all about the money. I kind of agree and disagree. I feel it was always about the money but yeah Steve did help.

The problem is competition. Also I remember when every time Apple did a release it was exciting. They brought something really new - you had the iPod then the iPhone, then the iPad. Maybe this is why they are planning the iWatch, to bring a new exciting product because all their latest updates to me have been just slight improvements nothing with big strides in my opinion. And yeah there are some smart watches out there but not loads if I'm correct.

Metric1
28-01-2013, 08:57 PM
iPhone5 sucks.

auffant1
28-01-2013, 09:57 PM
To be honest,

I have to agree with this. They way Apple markets their products and the quality of their products is unmatched.

GommeInc
28-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Didn't Steve also hate the idea of an iPad Mini and now he's gone well look what we have.

In the phone shop at the Tesco I work for one of the guys there says he thinks they've lost their passion since Steve left and now its just all about the money. I kind of agree and disagree. I feel it was always about the money but yeah Steve did help.
It was always about the money, as with any other company. If they did it to be exciting and different they wouldn't of charged so much :P

Plus smartwatches are just gimmicks. The iPod Nano was an attempt at one (back when it was a small square) and it didn't really work. Phones are more practical and useful. They would only work if people were interested in smaller phones but as it goes phones are getting larger and larger (again) and an expensive accessory which a smart watch would be just seems pointless when the phone it's bonded with is only in your pocket :P

peteyt
29-01-2013, 02:41 AM
I have to agree with this. They way Apple markets their products and the quality of their products is unmatched.

Sorry but completely disagree with this. They may be doing well considering they only sell a few items but they are easily matched although obviously that's just my opinion but one which a lot of android fans also agree with.

I remember when I was looking for a new phone just over a year ago and made a facebook status to find out what people thought. I remember one person in particular claiming their was nothing like the iphone and no other phones could compare with it yet when you do compare other phones are lot are extremely similar.

I have nothing against apple I just feel like they are just another manufacturer and their products are just the same as the competition but with different branding.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!