PDA

View Full Version : The New South Africa isn't a bed of roses

-:Undertaker:-
25-02-2013, 02:58 PM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100204085/why-did-it-take-the-killing-of-a-pretty-white-woman-for-western-liberals-to-realise-the-new-south-africa-isnt-a-bed-of-roses/

Why did it take the killing of a pretty white woman for Western liberals to realise the New South Africa isn't a bed of roses?

http://www.iaza.com/work/130226C/iaza15616533965000.jpg

Last year, 34 black striking miners were gunned down by South African police at the Lonmin mine in Marikana. Some were shot in the back as they attempted to flee. Some were killed as they surrendered. Others were killed 300 metres from where the main massacre took place, suggesting they had been chased – that is, hunted down – by the armed servants of the ANC. Yet there was no outrage in the Western liberal press. There were no fuming leaders; very few angry columns. Amnesty International, guardian of the modern liberal conscience, issued a weak, almost uninterested statement about this act of mass murder, and then went back to throwing money and staff at the campaign to have ***** Riot – prettier and way more fashionable than those dead miners – freed from jail in Russia.

This month, a pretty white woman, Reeva Steenkamp, was killed by her boyfriend, Oscar Pistorius, in a gated community in South Africa. And this time, right-thinking observers went crazy. The shock and outrage have been palpable. Feminists have popularised the Twitter hashtag #hernamewasReevaSteenkamp, to draw attention to the scourge of domestic violence in South Africa. Column after column tells us that the Steenkamp killing shows that the New South Africa is sick, that it's a fear-ruled, crime-ridden, corrupt nation. This tragic shooting and the fractured court case and debate it has given rise to have cast a "lurid light" on South Africa, commentators tell us, calling into question its image as a "Rainbow Nation". Where the massacre of 34 black workers elicited a collective shrug of the shoulder among observers over here, the killing of Steenkamp has got them tearing their hair out, demanding answers, wondering what the hell went wrong with the country they once admired (the New South Africa) and its ruling party that they once cheered (the ANC).

All of which raises a very awkward question: why is the shooting of a white woman in a domestic setting more shocking to liberal commentators than the massacre of 34 black miners at a public strike and demonstration? This isn't a complaint about how the media elevates celebrity news over all other forms of news. I can understand why there is so much media and public interest in the Pistorius/Steenkamp case: it isn't every day a global sports star shoots his famous, beautiful girlfriend in questionable circumstances. But what is striking is the fact that it took this incident – and not, say, the ANC's massacre of 34 miners – to open Western liberals' eyes to the profound problems, the moral and political decay, in modern-day South Africa.

To the critical observer, it should have been clear for years that this so-called Rainbow Nation, born of the end of Apartheid and the election of the ANC in 1994, is a dark, unpleasant place. The unhinged police assault on those striking miners last year was only the most graphic manifestation of the ANC's creation of an even more unequal, unpredictable society than that which existed under the racist rulers of the Apartheid era. As a Yale University study found recently, in the New South Africa "income inequality has probably grown". Certainly life expectancy – that basic measure of a nation's fortunes – has declined in the New South Africa, falling from 62 years in 1990 to a truly depressing 49 years in 2012. Life for most blacks in ANC-ruled South Africa (not those blacks who were on the ANC's gravy train to power, of course) is harsh, unequal, brutish and short; and as those miners learned last year, anyone who fights back against the new system risks being mown down by the cops. It is not surprising that such living conditions, that the glaringly unrealised hopes of the post-Apartheid era, have nurtured much fear and violence in the New South Africa.

..article continues via the link.

I feel this comment is pretty good, so i'll post as well;

I don't think this murder has made more of an impact because the victim was blonde Mr O'Neill.

There have been plenty of blondes murdered in South Africa since the end of Apartheid - with barely a word mentioned lest it upset the notion of some leftist world view of a multicultural nirvana.

Nearly 4,000 white farmers have been murdered since Mandela came to power. This is out of a population of some 40,000 farmers which equates to a higher mortality rate than that of a soldier in WWII.

This should be huge news, and would be huge news if majority whites were committing genocide against minority blacks, but the other way around brings with it only silence.

How, Mr O'Neill, can you write the above article without mentioning this ongoing genocide? Do you not know about it or are you merely uninterested in it?

Shameful Mr O'Neill, positively shameful.

I always find this an interesting topic to debate because the majority of people who you talk to about this subject have only ever heard the one side of the argument that apartheid was terrible as it denied the vote to black citizens (true, of course) and that when Mandela and the ANC took over it was all amazing. The other side of the argument is never given;- that Mandela himself was head of the armed ANC terrorist wing that targeted innocent people, that his wife Winnie Mandela was a fan of necklacing (look up on Google for what that is) and that since the ANC took charge back in the early 1990s society in South Africa has broken down (both white and black areas) and it's to-the-left economic policies have left blacks worse off than they were in the apartheid days. None of this is popular or politically correct to say, but the truth is there if you look for it.

A lot in South Africa feel (amongst the British and Dutch South Africans) that has conditions decay, somebody like Mugabe will be voted in as an act of desperation by the majority-poor black population... and we know how that turned out. What's always interesting though, is that those in the west who couldn't shut up about South Africa back in the 1970s and 1980s ... now have nothing to say on the matter, all is well to them. The truth is that both black and white South Africans are worse off.

What do you think of the situation in South Africa? if taught at school, were you taught the 'other side' of the debate or not?

Thoughts?

The Don
25-02-2013, 06:12 PM
There was an increase in crime after the abolition of slavery in the USA, I would still argue that people were better off after, even with the higher crime rates, than before...

This is going to sound harsh, but celebrities will attract more attention in the press as they are already in the public eye. I'm not justifying this, i'm simply saying that this is the case, it has nothing to do with his wife being 'pretty' but its simply because people here know who Oscar Pistorius is and don't know those 300 or so people who were killed. If the massacre happened in this country then obviously it would be more famous that a celebrity shooting his wife, but local news from a foreign country isn't as interesting to the general public when compared to news about a celebrity.

FlyingJesus
25-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah the increased media on this case was because it was Oscar Piss, not because his girlfriend was hot. Also no-one who has any knowledge of South Africa has ever thought it was a bed of roses so the entire article title is misleading and pointless. The differences that matter in terms of Western view between the Pistorius case and the miners is that Pistorius has recently become a worldwide icon of hope, and that his victim was female. Look at the difference between any female victim and male victim in the news and the disparity is blatantly apparent, and the media is there to show what people want to see.

Regardless of how stupid it is that these prejudices exist, surely the outcome of the media attention (ie: people actually starting to look at South Africa) is in some sense a victory. Before this I doubt that anyone other than world news buffs and people with family out there knew anything at all about South Africa

Rozi
25-02-2013, 07:17 PM
As Tom said, I don't think anyone who knows anything about South Africa thinks that the end of Apartheid magically solved everything overnight. Or anyone with a brain for that matter.

Also this article magically forgets that Oscar P was not only an internationally known athlete, but a figurehead for disabled ability. It is also wrong about the twitter hashtag, it wasn't "to draw attention to the scourge of domestic violence in South Africa", it was to protest against newspapers paying thousands of pounds for photos of her posing in a bikini to use on the front covers less than 24 hours after her death.

I agree with your point about the glorification of Mandela both in the past and the present. He most certainly does have blood on his hands, but I would argue that it is a HELL of a lot less than others in the organisation, and a minuscule percentage of that of the white governement in Apartheid times. Of course anyone complicit in the death of innocent civilians should not be allowed to forget it, but complete peaceful revolution in these circumstances (see; India) is near impossible, and it is impressive that an out-and-out civil war was not entered into. The main problem was that the ANC had very little vision of the future for South Africa after gaining government. We forget that South Africa is a fairly unique country in the sense that it shares areas that a very 'first-world', alongside huge areas of 'third-world' living with huge amounts of history plaguing it. There has been no technological revolution, and any wealth that has arisen from this has predominantly remained in white hands due to the mass uneducation of black people resulting from apartheid.

However, I think you are missing the point of the issues that are in South Africa nowadays. It is not some sort of revenge racism that plagues the country, but an inequality of wealth and quality of life post-apartheid. Personally I was horrified when I read about the shooting of the miners, but equally shocked that the world didn't seem to care. I think the west has brushed South Africa off our hands. Post-boycotting we seem to have assumed that our input was enough to solve lots of problems, (personally I am hugely against boycotting trade (except for that which benefits no-one but the rich/governments). I also think there is a view in the west that South Africa is some sort of honorary western nation and so can be relied upon to sort through its issues fairly and logically, in the same way that we assume we would, which just isn't the case. They don't have the blueprint for it and corruption and un-escapable poverty is just too widespread for it.

peteyt
25-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Bad things happen all over the world but if its not someone famous, someone young etc. it often gets ignored, overshadowed etc. It's how the media have worked for years and I can't see anything changing. There are obviously some that will publish stuff that others won't but a lot aren't that interested in it.

AgnesIO
26-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Yeah who called South Africa a bed of roses.

Looking forward to going there next year, but clearly know that it isn't so sweet.. eg. their train network at night...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!