PDA

View Full Version : Thought's on Apple Products and Macs.

TooMainstream
02-03-2013, 10:14 PM
As a iPhone,iPod and Macbook Owner i can say apple is pretty basic with their handhelds. There is limited customization so i switched to android XP and i love mac but only for music making and editing stuff where windows is for more play situations. Dont get me wrong im a huge fan of both

zombies
02-03-2013, 10:17 PM
i wish i could afford mac products.

however my iphone 3gs is doing great =)

Stadiums
02-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I have a bit of all (Windows Computer, iPhone, Nexus) and I like them all :P

GommeInc
02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Personally I find iProducts (iPod, iPad and iPhone) outdated these days - the only interesting items are the Macs. At first they were revolutionary, but with Android powered devices it's going to be impossible for them to do something new (and actually "new", not "new to Apple"). As for should they be used or who should use them - it's personal preference. Media editing can be done on either Windows or OS X, even Linux, and gaming is big on both to some degree now other than old, retro gaming.

GoldenMerc
03-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Really good, Worth the money? ~ Not sure, depends if you have the money to spend, In terms of reliability etc, they are a good looking piece of kit.

Catchy
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
As GoldenMerc; said, worth the money? Idk it depends how much you're willing to pay, I personally love my Mac and doubt I'll ever return to windows full time. It's all down to personal preference. I just prefer OS X, for me it gives me a better computing experience overall.

HarrySX
03-03-2013, 02:14 PM
As @GoldenMerc (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=26925); said, worth the money? Idk it depends how much you're willing to pay, I personally love my Mac and doubt I'll ever return to windows full time. It's all down to personal preference. I just prefer OS X, for me it gives me a better computing experience overall.

They're worth the money for the aftercare support you receive alone.

Catchy
03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
They're worth the money for the aftercare support you receive alone.

luckily i've never had to deal with any of that. although dunno if it's worth trying enquire about my wireless keyboard cos it keeps eating batteries soo fast and i've read online loads of other people are having the same problem, only thing is i didn't buy it directly off them :/

HarrySX
03-03-2013, 02:27 PM
luckily i've never had to deal with any of that. although dunno if it's worth trying enquire about my wireless keyboard cos it keeps eating batteries soo fast and i've read online loads of other people are having the same problem, only thing is i didn't buy it directly off them :/

Take it in anyway.

My retina MBP wasn't so... retina recently (didn't seem very crisp) and I took it into a Genius bar and they handed me a new one.

Catchy
03-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Take it in anyway.

My retina MBP wasn't so... retina recently (didn't seem very crisp) and I took it into a Genius bar and they handed me a new one.

Hmm maybe it's worth a try then. Got no box or anything, still think it's worth a try?

HarrySX
03-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Hmm maybe it's worth a try then. Got no box or anything, still think it's worth a try?

Depends how old it is. There's no harm in taking it in.

But wireless keyboards aren't too expensive, if it's an effort for you to do so just buy a new one.

Catchy
03-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Depends how old it is. There's no harm in taking it in.

But wireless keyboards aren't too expensive, if it's an effort for you to do so just buy a new one.

Well I think I'll be going for the wired one next time :P

HarrySX
03-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Well I think I'll be going for the wired one next time :P

This is wireless and very reliable, http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac

peteyt
04-03-2013, 05:51 AM
People think I hate Apple, friends and such, but I actually don't you could say it's a love/hate relationship.

The problem with Apple products I find is they are extremely overpriced. Take an iPhone for example - I'm not going to deny it's a good phone, it looks nice, it's easy to use and looks good, iOS looks good etc. it even has some nice features. The problem is there's nothing I can't do on an Android that an iPhone can. All the top end Android based phones are usually the equivalent, sometimes even higher spec than the iPhone yet Apple still charges sometimes double.

I understood this pricing originally as when the iPhone first came out there wasn't really any competition. But the last few years others have been trying to take a slice of the smartphone market and many succeeding because they offered the same for less. It seems to me the reality has just hit Apple as the iPhone 5 has done poor and Apple's shares have fell drastically. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone 5 has sold just not as good as it was predicted to with many people buying earlier versions of the iPhone. This has brought rumors of a cheaper model to sell alongside it's main model but I think this is the wrong move - the problem isn't lack of models, its price vs features (at least for some). Why offer a cheaper version and an expensive version when the expensive version when you can buy another phone similar price to the cheaper version but with the features of the expensive version (you get my drift).

If anything, it's the fans that annoy me about Apple most. By fans, I mean the sheep ones who just love anything Apple because well it's Apple. Someone actually started debating to me the other day how great apple was and how crap android was because Apple could be Jailbroken. He even stuck to this when I explained that Android didn't need to be Jailbroken because it was open sourced so you can do what the hell you want to with it. Someone even told me Android phones usually had higher specs than iPhone phones because they needed more power being open sourced and this was their argument at why Apple phones where better.

On a final note (went on a bit ha) Apple has interestingly went from an innovator to simply someone dragging themselves along. Apple sheep will tell you there where no smartphones before the iPhone which isn't true, but I will never deny the iPhone was the first main popular one, and the phone that really made the difference. Apple revolutionised the phone and then did the same to computing with the iPad. But they have left themselves fall. They remind me a bit of Microsoft - take internet explorer 6, many peoples first browser and sadly still used by some today. It took years for version 7 which included features like tabbed browsing which other browsers had for years. Microsoft has been speeding up a lot lately and I wonder if Apple will do the same. But to do so I think it will need to change a few things, pricing being key. But it's apple so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

samsaBEAR
05-03-2013, 01:03 AM
I'm in two minds on Apple and their products. I think the iPhone is a nasty looking phone, and so slow and clumsy compared to the top of the line Android phones, my friend's iPhone 5 just doesn't compare to my One X. On the other hand, I don't think I could ever buy an MP3 player that wasn't an iPod, although that said I would much prefer to find a second hand iPod Nano 3rd Gen should mine ever break, as opposed to getting one of the new ones. The iPod touch doesn't interest me, and the newer Nano's UI just looks dreadful.

Calvin
05-03-2013, 01:46 AM
I currently have the iPhone 4S and it's great (apart from the battery life which isn't that good). I find it really easy to use and I like the amount of applications that are available for it.

Perhaps a little bit overpriced but I don't mind really.

Stephen
05-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Only apple product I've had are ipods. When I first got my ipod touch 4g i thought it was great (after jailbreaking) but now I own a nexus 7, it's amazing how customisable everything is that I don't think I could ever go back to a device that runs ios

mrwoooooooo
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
apple products are overpriced,

ios is boring and needs a major revamp, change the os not the hardware this year if you want to stop your stock falling.

GommeInc
05-03-2013, 06:34 PM
ios is boring and needs a major revamp, change the os not the hardware this year if you want to stop your stock falling.
What would you change or like to see? It's interesting how iOS seems to be considered the problem with the iPhone line these days. Windows Phone and Android both have "pretty" interfaces. Perhaps iOS is too grey and dull these days - maybe consumers are getting bored of greys and blacks, and want to see some more colour in the mix.

chemidann95
06-03-2013, 12:46 AM
I'm not a fan or Apple or Mac or Apple products. You see, apple products are little expensive. E.G MacBooks start from $999 if bought directly from the Apple store. In contrast, it's possible to pick up a laptop running Windows for around $400, as of October 2010. Apple computers are at a disadvantage when it comes to choice of computer hardware. PC users can choose from a wide number of Windows-based laptops, desktop models or netbooks from many different companies. This affords competition, which results in a much wider choice of models to buy with a wider choice of available features, too.

So yeah, not a fan of Apple products. :(

HarrySX
06-03-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm not a fan or Apple or Mac or Apple products. You see, apple products are little expensive. E.G MacBooks start from $999 if bought directly from the Apple store. In contrast, it's possible to pick up a laptop running Windows for around $400, as of October 2010. Apple computers are at a disadvantage when it comes to choice of computer hardware. PC users can choose from a wide number of Windows-based laptops, desktop models or netbooks from many different companies. This affords competition, which results in a much wider choice of models to buy with a wider choice of available features, too.

So yeah, not a fan of Apple products. :(

I think you don't understand the way Apple works. While the products are indeed expensive, you're paying for quality (inc. durability - MBPs for example are extremely well built), unrivalled customer support and superior hardware. I bought the retina MBP for £1,800 at the start of the year... I could have picked up a cheaper computer for a fraction of the price but the product is a steal for that price -- the hardware and customer support alone is worth the price. If my MBP (or any other product at that) breaks down tomorrow I know I can take it into a Genius bar and it'll either be fixed there and then, or replaced. I never got that with any of my previous laptops, inc. HP and Dell (albeit Dell do have very good customer support too!).

GommeInc
06-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Quality is in the eye of the beholder. The hardware isn't superior, it just works well with the operating system because Apple make very few products and design their computers around the hardware they are given. Also, clearly the hardware isn't superior if it "breaks down" and requires a Genius bar to give you a new one or fix the faulty product. You've fallen into the Reality Distortion field by thinking Apple products are faultless, when the support that is also advertised contradicts the former statement.

Alternatives can be replaced with ease provided you know the right steps to take - Apple breast feed their customers to make it easy for when things go wrong, but the joy of warranties means you could replace an HP laptop with ease and be either given a new laptop or a fixed one under the similar guidelines that Apple follow. It's the same outcome, but with different actions. It's good that you like your MacBook Pro and have the money to buy one, but the alternatives are no worse.

Sharon
06-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Have an iPhone 5, would never go off it out of choice. Though when I NEXT but a new phone in like 2 years I might go Samsung, quite attracted to the S3. Love my iPhone though!

chemidann95
07-03-2013, 05:33 AM
I mean I do know how the Apple product works. Just not a fan of them. :(

xxMATTGxx
07-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Quality is in the eye of the beholder. The hardware isn't superior, it just works well with the operating system because Apple make very few products and design their computers around the hardware they are given. Also, clearly the hardware isn't superior if it "breaks down" and requires a Genius bar to give you a new one or fix the faulty product. You've fallen into the Reality Distortion field by thinking Apple products are faultless, when the support that is also advertised contradicts the former statement.

Alternatives can be replaced with ease provided you know the right steps to take - Apple breast feed their customers to make it easy for when things go wrong, but the joy of warranties means you could replace an HP laptop with ease and be either given a new laptop or a fixed one under the similar guidelines that Apple follow. It's the same outcome, but with different actions. It's good that you like your MacBook Pro and have the money to buy one, but the alternatives are no worse.

If the hardware works well with the OS then they are doing something right. Anyway, I recently got an iPhone and it's pretty awesome.

Android > Windows Phone > iPhone (This is the path I've taken in terms of using different platforms)

samsaBEAR
07-03-2013, 08:50 AM
What would you change or like to see? It's interesting how iOS seems to be considered the problem with the iPhone line these days. Windows Phone and Android both have "pretty" interfaces. Perhaps iOS is too grey and dull these days - maybe consumers are getting bored of greys and blacks, and want to see some more colour in the mix.

That is a factor for me, but then I run CyangenMod so it's all black and blue for me. The thing I really don't like, in terms of design, is the fact that you unlock your screen and all of your apps are right there. It's the mobile equivalent of having a cluttered desktop on my computer, I much prefer that extra button press that Android has to get to your apps.

GommeInc
07-03-2013, 04:08 PM
If the hardware works well with the OS then they are doing something right. Anyway, I recently got an iPhone and it's pretty awesome.

Android > Windows Phone > iPhone (This is the path I've taken in terms of using different platforms)
Indeed, it's certainly better than the alternative :P The hardware only goes so far. The good thing is that you have a large choice with an Android based platform, and Google with their Nexus brand offer some stability in the same sort of way as an iPhone as those phones are designed to work with the hardware they are built on with talented tech companies (ASUS, Samsung, HTC, LG).

Windows Phone seems to be doing rather well recently. I seem to be in my local O2 store a lot lately and quite a few people are going for the HTC and Nokia Windows Phone 8 devices. It's got a long way to go, but it's serious competition.

That is a factor for me, but then I run CyangenMod so it's all black and blue for me. The thing I really don't like, in terms of design, is the fact that you unlock your screen and all of your apps are right there. It's the mobile equivalent of having a cluttered desktop on my computer, I much prefer that extra button press that Android has to get to your apps.
Never understood why they designed iOS to have all Apps immediately when you unlock it. It contrasts OS X which is clean and uncluttered. It's strange that iOS doesn't have a dashboard at the bottom with key apps that you can swipe through, which is possibly one of the understated but most desired features in OS X. It would be impressive if they redesign the OS to become a little bit more elegant and implement an iOS dashboard :P

Recursion
11-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Never understood why they designed iOS to have all Apps immediately when you unlock it. It contrasts OS X which is clean and uncluttered. It's strange that iOS doesn't have a dashboard at the bottom with key apps that you can swipe through, which is possibly one of the understated but most desired features in OS X. It would be impressive if they redesign the OS to become a little bit more elegant and implement an iOS dashboard :P

It's called launchpad.

http://mattgarner.net/upload/images/2013/03/11/jFKvGL97.png

GommeInc
11-03-2013, 06:20 PM
It's called launchpad.
Looks interesting, but still a complete mess.

Sian
12-03-2013, 08:58 AM
not a particular fan, I don't mind the ipods (not the last 2 generations though) but that may be because there isn't really a decent enough competitor mp3 player on the market.

Do not see the point, or like macs as they are overpriced, I'm not the kind of person to spend more money on something to pay for the brand name. I love my laptop and I like windows 7 (not tried 8).

As for the phone, overpriced by miles and just love android.

Cerys
12-03-2013, 04:31 PM
I honestly think the whole iSomething product line is a bit of a rip off. People only buy them/they're only that expensive for the title, I think.
Imo there's lots more better products out there than those, but because of the name people will think that they are amazing if they buy one etc

Don't mind iPods though

xxMATTGxx
12-03-2013, 07:42 PM
After owning an iPhone for a few weeks now I can see why people buy them and keep upgrading to the next models. Mainly because all of it actually works quite well: hardware, OS and the apps as well. Where on other platforms some of those key points could make it a bit poor. This is also coming from someone who has used Android and Windows Phone and has only just moved over to iOS.

Jack!
12-03-2013, 09:02 PM
After owning an iPhone for a few weeks now I can see why people buy them and keep upgrading to the next models. Mainly because all of it actually works quite well: hardware, OS and the apps as well. Where on other platforms some of those key points could make it a bit poor. This is also coming from someone who has used Android and Windows Phone and has only just moved over to iOS.

Couldn't agree more, there are so many pro's and cons of each OS, I have used them all, iOS, Android, Windows, Blackberry, The "Smart" Nokia OS (Forget the name)
Out of them all, I do like apple the best, as it just.. works.. not messing about, not fiddling, it does what you need when you need.

GommeInc
12-03-2013, 09:18 PM
not a particular fan, I don't mind the ipods (not the last 2 generations though) but that may be because there isn't really a decent enough competitor mp3 player on the market.
Agreed. There were loads in the past - Sony Walkmans, Creative Zens... Now they're all hopeless, particularly Creative products. MP3 players seem to be disappearing, but where I'm not sure. Not many people I know use their phones as MP3 players these days.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!