PDA

View Full Version : Sim City Release

Chippiewill
07-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Out tomorrow, and I'm really excited for it. The level of simulation compared to previous sim city games is unprecedented. It's just a shame that their servers are still taking a pummelling from tuesday's US release. I'm doubtful (Thanks to always online DRM) that I'll be able to play the game in the next week.

dbgtz
07-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Apparently the AI is pretty poor which I hope isn't noticeable. Looks like another game ruined by EA's bad decisions :P

Chippiewill
07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Apparently the AI is pretty poor which I hope isn't noticeable.
Compared to previous Sim City games it is miles ahead.

Kardan
07-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Apparently it's failing really bad, and they've removed all non-critical features from the game so it's actually playable. Oh dear.

Judge Judy
08-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Voting with my wallet and not buying it - yet, if at all.

I know everyone is banging on about it, but seeing the whole always online thing has saved me from burning a hole in my pocket!

Adam
08-03-2013, 02:33 PM
If anyone has anything good to say about the game, say it and also add me on Origin: Casadros

Chris
08-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm was thinking about getting it but I've been put off for now. When things become more stable then I might re-think.

Ardemax
08-03-2013, 04:07 PM
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

If you thought it would be like the previous titles, think again. EA have ruined this game, sadly.

Don't take my word for it, take the word of over 1,000 people who have given this game a 1 star rating (http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-41018ted-Edition2-SimCity/dp/B007VTVRFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362758790&sr=8-1&keywords=simcity)

I wanted this new title to really work well and it's really sad to see it has not delivered at all.

dbgtz
08-03-2013, 04:32 PM
To be fair most people rated it badly because of the crappy launch, not the game itself. The problem isn't even the DRM itself anymore, it's the fact EA have done this with several other games before and still haven't realise they need more servers on release.

GommeInc
08-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Voting with my wallet and not buying it - yet, if at all.

I know everyone is banging on about it, but seeing the whole always online thing has saved me from burning a hole in my pocket!
Same. I'm not buying this or future Sims games until EA get their fingers out of their backsides like the great apes they are and actually use their common sense and ingenuity. With companies like EA you have to vote with your wallet - complaining gets you no where. It was obvious SimCity was going to flop off the starting line with this idea of having to always be connected. It's hilarious they've disabled cheetah speed - the most useful speed in the entire SimCity franchise :P

EA should just give up with this anti-piracy tirade, it's not working. £40+ for a game that doesn't work efficiently.

The problem isn't even the DRM itself anymore, it's the fact EA have done this with several other games before and still haven't realise they need more servers on release.
It sort of is the DRM itself. If they just give up with this project they wouldn't need so many servers in the first place. They might as well kill it off now rather than carry on - EA cannot release too many games with this hopeless feature because then they will need extra servers or will have to kill off some of their games and servers to make way for new games - which would be bad for customers who like the game and want it for the future. As the Origins ToS says, they have the right to remove or terminate any of the games they use. This means buying through Origin or using anything EA related is completely useless, as you do not really own the games - you're just being lent them.

It wouldn't surprised me if a new game industry crash will happen in the near future, if this is what game companies are doing. EA was thinking of putting themselves up for sale because they're hopeless as a gaming company.

Chippiewill
08-03-2013, 05:13 PM
I was playing it this morning. Worked fine, no server issues. No lags problems. It's all fine.

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 05:13 PM ----------

This means buying through Origin or using anything EA related is completely useless, as you do not really own the games - you're just being lent them.

Same with Steam.

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 05:18 PM ----------

If you thought it would be like the previous titles, think again. EA have ruined this game, sadly.

It's actually Maxis who added the online requirement not EA. EA wants DRM but they're not really interested on a persistent server connection as it costs them money. Previous EA games set this precedent. Maxis added the requirement so they can offload stuff to the server.

mrwoooooooo
08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
when its finally working does someone want to set up a habbox region?

GommeInc
08-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Same with Steam.
Indeed, but Steam have pledged they will never do this and actually know how to manage their accounts and services to always provide the services intended. EA have lousy PR, and have expressed how seriously they take their ToS in an anti-customer sort of way - they forget where the money comes from. It's very similar to how they treated their Sims 3 customers when they failed to do bug testing with one global update which rendered the game unplayable for over a week. This DRM is completely unnecessary with SimCity, and is doing them more damage than the apparent pirates they're so highly against :P

Judging by the media, a lot of the world's consumer protection agencies are going to get a lot of complaints by angry customers who are being denied refunds by EA through their digital download/Origin services (when by law they are entitled to, especially in the UK, Australia, Canada and the US).

RyRy
08-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Hahaah dbgtz; is going to be distraught right now. Not surprising how this has gone at all... even after a BETA period.

Adam
08-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I haven't had any problems today, it's a decent game. Just needs bigger cities and hopefully this isn't paid for DLC but this is EA we're talking about.

The NA launch was abysmal and it's horrendous that people are still having problems but the game is working fine for me.

Ardemax
08-03-2013, 07:12 PM
It's actually Maxis who added the online requirement not EA. EA wants DRM but they're not really interested on a persistent server connection as it costs them money. Previous EA games set this precedent. Maxis added the requirement so they can offload stuff to the server.

Because DRM is a whole ball of fun :P

With the connection to the game aside, some of the game features are ummm... lacking. 100k max cities? No thanks.

Adam
08-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Because DRM is a whole ball of fun :P

With the connection to the game aside, some of the game features are ummm... lacking. 100k max cities? No thanks.

You played it?

chemidann95
08-03-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm not buying it atm. :(

Ardemax
08-03-2013, 07:38 PM
You played it?

I've seen enough game play and read enough reviews. I don't need to waste money to give my opinion.

Adam
08-03-2013, 07:41 PM
I've seen enough game play and read enough reviews. I don't need to waste money to give my opinion.

Opinion is invalid.

Ardemax
08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Opinion is invalid.

There are easier ways of throwing money at poop for less than £65.

Adam
08-03-2013, 07:50 PM
There are easier ways of throwing money at poop for less than £65.

Who pays £65?

I paid £35, the game works fine and is a fun game.

Ardemax
08-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Who pays £65?

I paid £35, the game works fine and is a fun game.

If you wanted the European expansion pack thing, then the sum of £30 would be added to your bill.

mrwoooooooo
08-03-2013, 07:59 PM
If you wanted the European expansion pack thing, then the sum of £30 would be added to your bill.

* £20

Adam
08-03-2013, 08:04 PM

And if you wanted an RC car with a CoD release then add £100. What you're saying is ********e. The game, SIM CITY, not SIM CITY AND DLC, is £35.

I spent £35. The majority of people spent £35.

GommeInc
08-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm not convinced either by it, thanks to the reviews and Reddit seems a wash of negative opinions. Amazon.com has hilarious reviews for it too :P It's hilarious when people say that this opinion is invalid :P I do not need to be a chef to know that a fly in my soup is not a main ingredient, and I certainly do not need to pay for that soup for the dissatisfaction of eating it.

October
08-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I really want this but I don't want to be online to play it all the time. I like playing games when I can't access the Internet, and a simulation game would be great for that, but no.

Adam
08-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm not convinced either by it, thanks to the reviews and Reddit seems a wash of negative opinions. Amazon.com has hilarious reviews for it too :P It's hilarious when people say that this opinion is invalid :P I do not need to be a chef to know that a fly in my soup is not a main ingredient, and I certainly do not need to pay for that soup for the dissatisfaction of eating it.

But you've experienced that soup therefore your opinion is valid.

GommeInc
08-03-2013, 08:22 PM
But you've experienced that soup therefore your opinion is valid.
I've experienced previous SimCity games, so past soups and past games are pretty much the same thing :P

A better analogy would be - have you eaten faecal matter before? I know I haven't and wouldn't out of choice, because I know that everything about it is wrong - like SimCity :P

dbgtz
08-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Hahaah dbgtz; is going to be distraught right now. Not surprising how this has gone at all... even after a BETA period.

Lol I haven't experienced any problems at all, infact I'm relieved the download wasn't that big. Enjoyed the 2 hour straight session I spent on earlier and I'm sure I'll return to it later.

Adam
08-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I've experienced previous SimCity games, so past soups and past games are pretty much the same thing :P

A better analogy would be - have you eaten faecal matter before? I know I haven't and wouldn't out of choice, because I know that everything about it is wrong - like SimCity :P

Past SimCity games were incredible though.

Everything about SimCity isn't wrong, though.

I agree about the launch issues, the DRM, the lack of big cities ETC ETC I'm just saying I've had no connection problems and the game is good.

Ardemax
08-03-2013, 09:28 PM
I really want this but I don't want to be online to play it all the time. I like playing games when I can't access the Internet, and a simulation game would be great for that, but no.

What a stupid idea it was to be able to play games offline and to actually save your game on your PC. Fools....

Adam
08-03-2013, 09:35 PM
What a stupid idea it was to be able to play games offline and to actually save your game on your PC. Fools....

Dunno seems to work for WoW, Diablo, Starcraft etc...

Ardemax
08-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Dunno seems to work for WoW, Diablo, Starcraft etc...

SimCity was a franchise built for offline play. I don't see any benefits in having to have a constant internet connection to play a game, do you?

Adam
08-03-2013, 09:44 PM
SimCity was a franchise built for offline play. I don't see any benefits in having to have a constant internet connection to play a game, do you?

SimCity (5) has always been advertised as an MMO-style game.

Ardemax
08-03-2013, 09:48 PM

Wasn't advertised in a way that showed that a constant internet connection mattered.

GommeInc
08-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Advertised and design are different. Simulators do not need to be primarily a MMO. The MMO functionality is a secondary function as far as the design of the game goes. The primary purpose is to build a city and micro-manage resources.

I can see why it could be good, but it should be optional. EA and Maxis claim that it's good to have a cloud based service so you can play your city anywhere - but consumers should have that choice when the connection functionality isn't important to the gameplay. It's only important to play the game because they have this thing against piracy which is more damaging than they could possibly imagine, as it punishes loyal, honest customers.

Oleh
09-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Been on it since I got in at 6pm. Had 0 problems connecting nor had disconnections. Brilliant game!

Adam
09-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Wasn't advertised in a way that showed that a constant internet connection mattered.

Yes. It was.

SimCity – The Connection Between You and the World

Real cities don't live in bubbles, real cities are connected to each other.

People and resources flow from city to city in regional economies. Neighboring cities directly affect each other, and through markets, their actions affect other cities across the world.

Because cities are connected, they specialize and differentiate. That's possible because they're all playing roles in a larger economy. Cities look different because they make a living doing different things. Clusters of cities working together do things that no city can do in isolation.

From the beginning, we built this SimCity to deal with this stuff realistically. We're not just simulating the internal mechanics of cities, we're simulating how cities relate to each other, to resource markets and to the natural world around them.

These are things that we have to do if we're going to model real cities with integrity.

The larger environment that cities live in, and the global markets that they are participating in are all being simulated on Maxis' servers. We're running the underlying simulations that enable cities to transform their regions, to interact with each other, and to move markets. We're tracking the accomplishments of cities and their effect on each other and the larger world.

This is true whether you're playing by yourself, or if you've invited a bunch of friends to come and play with you. Your impact on the larger world matters, and the larger world in turn influences your city. This will be visible in lots of different ways, from changing commodity prices, to leaderboards to global and regional opportunities.

Here's what this means in practice - Your cities won't all look the same, they'll take on specific roles, and it's just awesome to create a region with your friends. It's magical to see Sims come from their city to yours. It's fun to make stuff and send it to a friend when they need it.

When you see the connection between your city and the larger world, your city is more real than it's ever been before.

That's why it's an online game. We'll be showing you more of this at this year’s E3 Expo in June.

That was February last year.

Don't you feel ridiculous now.

@GommeInc I understand that the game SHOULDN'T be an always online MMO, but it is, and it has always been advertised as such.

mrwoooooooo
09-03-2013, 03:50 PM
so does anyone want to set up a hxf region?

Oleh
09-03-2013, 05:48 PM
so does anyone want to set up a hxf region?

Do it!!

mrwoooooooo
09-03-2013, 06:35 PM
add me on origin : adamwootten

i'll then invite people to the region ^^

Adam
09-03-2013, 06:48 PM
please don't call it the hxf region

mrwoooooooo
09-03-2013, 06:52 PM
please don't call it the hxf region
why not? its private

Adam
09-03-2013, 07:00 PM
why not? its private

not bothered about that, just better names for it.

Chippiewill
09-03-2013, 07:54 PM
add me on origin : adamwootten

i'll then invite people to the region ^^

Sent Request. Which server are you on?

mrwoooooooo
09-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Sent Request. Which server are you on?

didnt get it but i think i sent one to you, erm europe west 6

everyone else should post their origin name xD

http://i.imgur.com/ecagqkM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GAqVjyf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SgWlNT2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OK6aMme.jpg

some images from my first city

Chippiewill
09-03-2013, 08:06 PM
I haven't received a request either. Origin's friends servers are probably taking a bit of a hammering.

I was going to say yesterday that it'd be a bad idea to put it on a high number in case they shut the server off down the line.

Oleh
09-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Origin : Fridge_Salesman

:)

Ardemax
09-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Don't you feel ridiculous now.

Not as ridiculous as yourself who believes a constant required internet connection, without the ability to save your games on your PC, is a good thing.

dbgtz
09-03-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm elmooer, someone invite me to the hxf region xo

Meanies
09-03-2013, 09:16 PM
I still dunno whether to get it or not, seems to be more bad than good reviews but I've been waiting so long :'(

xxMATTGxx
09-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I still dunno whether to get it or not, seems to be more bad than good reviews but I've been waiting so long :'(

Probably due to the DRM and that you have to be online all the time to play it and that EA servers have been getting hammered the past couple of days.

Meanies
09-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Why can I only see the digital deluxe and limited edition versions, where is the one for £35 :( being a cheapass

Suspective
09-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Not a fan of this always-online business, I already have problems on steam when my internet isn't very fast during peak.

Might get the game though, seeing I remember when I used to play Sim City all those years ago and this one sounds like a massive improvement.

mrwoooooooo
09-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Why can I only see the digital deluxe and limited edition versions, where is the one for £35 :( being a cheapass

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/simulation/simcity-limited-edition/

20% off above price with Voucher Code: GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

Meanies
09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/simulation/simcity-limited-edition/

20% off above price with Voucher Code: GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

ooo, thanks for this :D downloading now!

Adam
09-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Not as ridiculous as yourself who believes a constant required internet connection, without the ability to save your games on your PC, is a good thing.

Please, tell me where in this thread I said it was a good thing.

My origin name is Casadros. I don't really know what I'm doing in SimCity, just playing about with my first city.

mrwoooooooo
09-03-2013, 11:06 PM
will invite people to the region tomorrow morning, got all of you that added me now.

Meanies
10-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Anyone have any idea why my screen goes black when I try to place a road? It seems only the high density street and upwards work for me, strange.

Chippiewill
10-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Graphics issue, perhaps you should change your graphics settings?

mrwoooooooo
10-03-2013, 12:26 PM
ugh ive got everyone on origin, but when i go to invite on sim city it cant find anyone but chippiewill, then it says friend request failed on simcity >.<

Chris
10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Decided to bite the bullet and buy it. Hopefully I wont have any issues with the servers.

Explorator
10-03-2013, 03:59 PM
I did enjoy SS4, but if i decide to get it, i wouldn't be sure on what to think. It's meant to be a highly graphically demanding game, as people say.

Chippiewill
10-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Now started building a city in the hxf region upto 20k citizens as well. I can't seem to get the population density up for some reason though.

xxMATTGxx
10-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Watched InTheLittleWood stream this for quite bit and it does look good. Not sure if it would be worth getting though.

Kardan
10-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm also debating whether to get it or not... Aside from the server issues, which I'm guessing will be sorted eventually, is it worth it?

Chris
10-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm also debating whether to get it or not... Aside from the server issues, which I'm guessing will be sorted eventually, is it worth it?

I think so personally. It's actually really addictive.

Adam
10-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Adam, invite me into private region when you can.

KyleSmith
10-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Redemption-CNR

That's my user! Add me!

Martin
11-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Bought the game earlier and me and Chris; are working on a region :D Been on it for the past 3 hours and its actually really addictive haha! I LOVE IT SO MUCH! :D

zombies
11-03-2013, 12:10 AM
seems interesting! maybe a future purchase :)

Neil
11-03-2013, 12:50 PM
I got it on Saturday, I've logged about 10 hours so far and I have to say, it's far better than previous SimCity games as far as I'm concerned, although there is no apparent need for always on DRM, the online features are really cool and I feel it was the point that the game was to be played online with other people rather than solo, not really enough to justify forcing always online but either way, it's a great game and certainly worth the money I paid for it

Paige.
11-03-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm going to buy it when I have enough spare money

GommeInc
11-03-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm refusing to buy it until they have removed the always on DRM - which seems unlikely given the recent news from EA/Maxis hints that they are just going to get more servers to handle the game, when they could just do themselves and everyone else a favour and disable this feature altogether.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21741528

EDIT: Quite an interesting article about how always on DRM shouldn't be allowed in gaming, whether or not it works.

Link: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/11/simcity-is-inherently-broken-lets-not-let-this-go/

xxMATTGxx
11-03-2013, 09:51 PM
We're being sold this lie that SimCity is 100% dependent on "online" for play, which is crap. After logging in (authenticating that you own the game), selecting a regional server and game to play (so it knows which "city" data to send you) and entering your city, you can disconnect your computer from the internet and play perfectly for 10 minutes.

At the 10 minute mark the game gives you an error about being offline, and closes. This is enforced in the game's code as, literally, an "always on DRM". Ironically, or coincidentally, your city with all changes that you made in this time will be synced to their servers the next time you are online (so it's basically saved offline anyway), and can then be resumed.

If it weren't for the (forced) disconnection after 10 minutes, and the loss of "multiplayer" features (like viewing other cities and trading with them), this game would run just fine singleplayer/offline.

Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw said to Polygon that "we've identified that many of our issues were related to how [SimCity's] GlassBox [engine] managed the vast amount of simulation data through its database" (http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/9/4081464/simcity-interview-ea-maxis-lucy-bradshaw) - the problem with this, apart from everything I've mentioned above, is that if you run a traffic sniffer on your computer hardly any data is sent back to EA at all... where are these "vast amounts of simulation data"? All this GlassBox simulation happens locally, on your machine, as it could/would if you were playing offline.

Don't let EA get away with this. They're screwing us on purpose, and they can easily give us what we want.

/rant

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19yoxk/simcity5_does_not_have_to_be_online/
GommeInc;

Meanies
12-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know where to find the Heroes and Villains buildings to place, looked in every section and cannot find them :(

Oleh
12-03-2013, 07:38 PM
MaxisMan HQ is in the Police section as well as VU HQ

GommeInc
12-03-2013, 10:54 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19yoxk/simcity5_does_not_have_to_be_online/
GommeInc;
There seems to be a lot of articles about how the always-online isn't necessary, with confirmation from a Maxis employee coming from one source (rockpapershotgun?)

It does make you wonder what they have done to code it so weirdly. It can last for 20 minutes without a connection, and then terminate the game automatically on the client side. It's as if they thought half way through development that always-online should be the key ingredient, resulting in a game that has a background that doesn't quite know what it is.

They should just update the game with a patch to make it work offline, then after 10 or 20 minutes send off a connection request to update surrounding regions with it's multiplayer functionality OR the city itself for the cloud based functionality, if the player wants it or allows it.

Does the game save anything of the city to the computer? Because it ought to, it's your game afterall, not a EA based city development project.

dbgtz
12-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Just thought I'd post my most successful city so far.

http://i.imgur.com/3KAzVit.jpg

Paige.
13-03-2013, 07:15 PM
went to town and got it today because i couldn't resist, i'll just replace the money i took from my savings lol
i paid for the normal one and when i got home i realized he gave me the limited edition one with the heroes and villians set haha bonus
the guy who served me said something about the servers playing up?

Adam
13-03-2013, 10:48 PM
went to town and got it today because i couldn't resist, i'll just replace the money i took from my savings lol
i paid for the normal one and when i got home i realized he gave me the limited edition one with the heroes and villians set haha bonus
the guy who served me said something about the servers playing up?

Don't listen to him, they're fine.

AgnesIO
13-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I am definitely interested in this. If I bought it, could I join the HxF region?

I can get the Limited Edition version for £33.84 - so would be relatively reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance :)

Adam
14-03-2013, 01:06 AM
I am definitely interested in this. If I bought it, could I join the HxF region?

I can get the Limited Edition version for £33.84 - so would be relatively reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance :)

I don't think there is a region, unless nobody likes me and I haven't been invited.

Oleh
14-03-2013, 02:44 AM
I don't think there is a region, unless nobody likes me and I haven't been invited.

I never got invited either :(

mrwoooooooo
14-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I'll try again tonight, I could never find people on the simcity part even though I have you on origin

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AgnesIO
14-03-2013, 10:35 AM
I'll try again tonight, I could never find people on the simcity part even though I have you on origin

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome - I obviously don't have the game yet (although have added you).

Is there not a maximum number of cities in a region?

Adam
14-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Awesome - I obviously don't have the game yet (although have added you).

Is there not a maximum number of cities in a region?

Maximum is 16 so it shouldn't be a problem.

AgnesIO
14-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Maximum is 16 so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ah that isn't top bad. Depends how many of us there are, I guess. I heard one city can be filled up in a matter of hours (I have filled mine in the BETA).

Would be cool if we could get a true region where cities help each other and stuff. Just wish they had a maximum size of 4x what they are!

Paige.
14-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Don't listen to him, they're fine.

yeah when i went on it last night it was fine haha :P

omg a hxf region would be good! my origin is Ailur0phile if anyone wants to add me because i don't have any friends yet :(

Chris
14-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Someone has modded the game to allow offline play: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a465646/simcity-modded-to-work-offline-building-possible-outside-city.html

EA said it was impossible. lol

Paige.
14-03-2013, 05:01 PM
My graphics are literally so bad even though I have animation detail and everything on high

http://oi49.tinypic.com/zkohv6.jpg

I went on http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri to try and find out why and I realized this is why:

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2j1opaa.jpg

:( so annoying
I clicked on the upgrade suggested button and all of the video cards were so expensive

mrwoooooooo
14-03-2013, 05:35 PM
right i know why i havent found anyone

you all need to log on to europe west 2 and do summet on there before i can find you on there

AgnesIO
14-03-2013, 05:42 PM

you all need to log on to europe west 2 and do summet on there before i can find you on there

Will do if I buy it. Cheers

My graphics are literally so bad even though I have animation detail and everything on high

I went on http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri to try and find out why and I realized this is why:

I clicked on the upgrade suggested button and all of the video cards were so expensive

How much are you looking to spend? :)

Paige.
14-03-2013, 05:44 PM
realized why my graphics were so so bad, like my graphics/video card isn't that bad and i just noticed that i had lighting on the lowest possible and i put it up to ultra and it made the graphics so good but then my computer crashed lol so i defo won't be having it on ultra

mrwoooooooo
14-03-2013, 05:44 PM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-183-MS&groupid=701&catid=56

Paige.
14-03-2013, 05:45 PM

i'll do it now :)

Will do if I buy it. Cheers

How much are you looking to spend? :)

i think i've fixed it, can't have the best graphics ever like i can't have my lighting on ultra but i realized i had it on the lowest possible haha that's why it was so bad :P

---------- Post added 14-03-2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

...what the hell
my simcity has like started again? the only thing i can do is do the tutorial which i have already done
is it because i have gone into a different server or because my computer crashed whilst i was on simcity?

mrwoooooooo
14-03-2013, 06:08 PM
i'll do it now :)

i think i've fixed it, can't have the best graphics ever like i can't have my lighting on ultra but i realized i had it on the lowest possible haha that's why it was so bad :P

---------- Post added 14-03-2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

...what the hell
my simcity has like started again? the only thing i can do is do the tutorial which i have already done
is it because i have gone into a different server or because my computer crashed whilst i was on simcity?
because its a different server :P

AgnesIO
14-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Was unbelievably close to ordering a copy of LTD For £33.84, then decided I wouldn't so as not to **** up my A Levels :/

Difficult - been excited for this since it was announced! I would buy if they made cities bigger.

Paige.
14-03-2013, 06:49 PM
because its a different server :P

do you have a public region? if you do, what's it called because i'll join it :)

Meanies
14-03-2013, 06:51 PM
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-183-MS&groupid=701&catid=56

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-265-SP
Would that also be enough to run the game well, can't afford to get a pricey one

xxMATTGxx
14-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Someone has modded the game to allow offline play: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a465646/simcity-modded-to-work-offline-building-possible-outside-city.html

EA said it was impossible. lol

Yeah the reddit link I posted the other day pretty much said it was all lies anyway and now this just confirms it even further.

Re-Call
14-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know if the game is compatible with iMacs??

Chris
14-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know if the game is compatible with iMacs??

It will be later in the year

Re-Call
14-03-2013, 08:14 PM
It will be later in the year Well that is just stupid I want to play simcity now :( DAMN EA!

mrwoooooooo
14-03-2013, 08:52 PM
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-265-SP
Would that also be enough to run the game well, can't afford to get a pricey one

dunno about 'well' but it will run it

minimum spec is "Video:
Players will need at least a 512 MB video card featuring either an NVidia 7800 or better, an AMD chipset of at least an ATI Radeon HD 2x00 or better, or an Intel Series 4 integrated graphics or better."

GommeInc
14-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Yeah the reddit link I posted the other day pretty much said it was all lies anyway and now this just confirms it even further.
Redditors are not happy about that :P Apparently there was an AMA by Maxis or EA and they pretty much lied about every aspect of the game. Pathfinding is apparently hilarious too. If they ever bring out a toll road feature you could easily make up a lot of money through that, because Sims aren't smart enough to know any other route. Then there's the fact Sims do not have any permanence - they do not live in one place, they go to where is closer AND they do not hold the same job :P One day a doctor, the next a fast food clerk. At least SimCity Societies and SimCity 4 Sims held the same job and residence :P

Adam
15-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Well, joined that server and then did the tutorial again (fsake)

dbgtz
18-03-2013, 06:12 PM
It feels too easy to get skyscrapers and what not in the new Sim City, and I keep getting moaned at to zone more residential when I literally have no space left. The game would be so much better with bigger cities (and less ******ed traffic).

On a somewhat related point, what free game is everyone getting (when we can)? Here's a list:

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

http://www.ea.com/news/for-our-patient-and-amazing-mayors---a-free-pc-download-from-origin-

Pretty annoyed that I just bought BF3 on origin, so probably MoH:Warfighter for me.

Chris
18-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I think I may go for dead space 3

mrwoooooooo
18-03-2013, 06:52 PM
It feels too easy to get skyscrapers and what not in the new Sim City, and I keep getting moaned at to zone more residential when I literally have no space left. The game would be so much better with bigger cities (and less ******ed traffic).

On a somewhat related point, what free game is everyone getting (when we can)? Here's a list:

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

http://www.ea.com/news/for-our-patient-and-amazing-mayors---a-free-pc-download-from-origin-

Pretty annoyed that I just bought BF3 on origin, so probably MoH:Warfighter for me.
ignore the zone instructions

Chippiewill
18-03-2013, 07:35 PM
At least SimCity Societies and SimCity 4 Sims held the same job and residence :P
Except they didn't really exist. They existed only as algorithms. In the new sim city you have actual agents who move around and you can follow.

It feels too easy to get skyscrapers and what not in the new Sim City, and I keep getting moaned at to zone more residential when I literally have no space left.

Increase your population density by making your sims happier via:

Parks
Shopping
Low Taxes

Kardan
18-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Pah, I wish I bought it when someone posted that 20% off code, now all I can get it for is £40 :P

dbgtz
18-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Increase your population density by making your sims happier via:

Parks
Shopping
Low Taxes

Pretty sure that increases wealth not density, otherwise everything would be maximum density :P

GommeInc
18-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Except they didn't really exist. They existed only as algorithms. In the new sim city you have actual agents who move around and you can follow.
Societies had it so you could follow any random Sim on the street - you could see if they take a bus when they commute, or a car or simply walk. It was basic but along the right steps. This new version seems to have abit of SimCity 4 and Societies, except now they do not hold a job for more than a day... or a house... or a routine :P A handful of agents is nothing, seeing as the point of SimCity 4 is to look at ways of lowering congestion and looking at the general activities of the populace. it's been that way since SimCity 3,000 - possibly longer. No idea why they've taken this approach (well, it's obvious - typical EA and their shoddy workmanship, but you know what I mean)

For a City Simulator, it's a key component to be able to plan for commutes, residential and enterprise areas. It's unfortunate that Maxis/EA took two good things about Societies and SimCity 4, and slammed them together hoping they could work, but all they ended up with was one broken product made by two previously unbroken products that some silly fool slammed together, forgetting you're meant to take them to pieces and combine them that way :P

Neil
18-03-2013, 11:22 PM

Do not get Warfighter, that game is so bad it's unbelievable, the only reason I even still own that game is for the BF4 beta, I would suggest any of the other games over that, even Plants vs. Zombies.

I just got Dead Space 3 from it, installing it now, it's the only game on the list I don't already own

Nli.
19-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Well that is just stupid I want to play simcity now :( DAMN EA!

If you want to platy it now - you could always Bootcamp (http://www.apple.com/uk/support/bootcamp/)!

KyleSmith
19-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Selling my origin account with SimCity 2013 and Battlefield 3! PM Me

Paige.
19-03-2013, 04:21 PM
one of my cities is literally full and i need more residential areas apparently lol

Mr.L.Darragh
19-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Kinda thinking about buying this but for £45 seems so overpriced..

I can kinda justify it if I can get DS3 with it for 'free'..

AgnesIO
19-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Pah, I wish I bought it when someone posted that 20% off code, now all I can get it for is £40 :P

Can still get 6% cashback with greenmangaming if you use Quidco :)

Chippiewill
19-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Pretty sure that increases wealth not density, otherwise everything would be maximum density :P

Those things increase happiness, density increases are directly related to increases in happiness. Wealth is increased by raising the land value, this occurs by placing high value parks (Either $$ for Med Wealth or $$$ for high), mayor's mansion/house/city hall nearby (Also increases happiness), placing a school (/ gym on the high school) and various other factors.

Yes a lot of stuff which raises land value raises happiness but they're not the same.

Kardan
20-03-2013, 05:45 PM
What free game shall I pick, I have no interest in shooting games...

AgnesIO
20-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Wait if you buy it now, do you still get a free game? :S

Chippiewill
20-03-2013, 06:24 PM
What free game shall I pick, I have no interest in shooting games...

Sim city 4

Meanies
22-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I was sorting through my emails earlier and it turns out I was selected for the beta just I never read the email oopsy.

I'm giving the game a break now so as to not get bored of it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!