PDA

View Full Version : EXCLUSIVE: Leaked documents reveal Tory spinners in intensive anti-UKIP media briefs

-:Undertaker:-
27-04-2013, 01:07 PM
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/3371/exclusive_leaked_documents_reveal_tory_spinners_in _intensive_anti_ukip_media_briefings

EXCLUSIVE: Leaked documents reveal Tory spinners in intensive anti-UKIP media briefings

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has slammed the "shallow" Conservative Party after documents show nasty attacks emanating from Tory HQ

http://www.thecommentator.com/system/articles/inner_pictures/000/003/371/thumb/fc.png?1367064708

New documents seen by The Commentator have brought to light what appears to be a concerted dirty tricks campaign co-ordinated by the Conservative Party.

The briefings appear to have been constructed by the research department at Conservative Campaign HQ (CCHQ), with the documents bearing the names of the authors, confirmed as CCHQ staff, and the company name, "CCHQ".

Over the past week, media outlets have been quick to report negative stories about UKIP candidates standing in the upcoming local elections taking place next Thursday. The source of the stories has now come to light, as it appears that significant resources within the Conservative Party have been committed to dredging up information on UKIP candidates.

In particular, one widely reported story about Karim Ayoubi, the UKIP candidate in the Abington & Phippsville, Northamptonshire, seems to have been pulled from the CCHQ briefings. The story was the picked up by both national and local media outlets.

The Commentator has so far seen seven documents authored by CCHQ, each revealing that party researchers have spent countless hours trawling through the Facebook and Twitter feeds of UKIP candidates seeking information that might be attractive to national media outlets.

The documents draw attention to the social and political habits of UKIP candidates, claiming that many are either racist or have questionable senses of humour. Oddly, one briefing even draws attention to a young UKIP candidate's dance moves at a black tie event, claiming, "Personal photos of the undergraduate in black tie undermine his bid to become a local politician".

So far, The Daily Mail, The Daily Telegraph (£), The Times (£) and The Sun have all produced stories that appear to be based on these briefing documents.

http://www.thecommentator.com/ckeditor_assets/pictures/386/content_screen_shot_2013-04-27_at_11_53_57.pnghttp://www.thecommentator.com/ckeditor_assets/pictures/387/content_screen_shot_2013-04-27_at_12_08_37.png

When asked about the nature of the documents and their origins, a Conservative Party source told The Commentator, "This is a desperate attempt to deflect attention away from the serious questions UKIP must answer about some of their candidates. UKIP should be held to account about the candidates they want to hold public office."

The information used in the documents, however, is all public-domain, leading to concerns that the central UKIP party has neither done the requisite background checks on candidates, nor advised them of how to manage their social media accounts. Responding to questions as to whether UKIP routinely admitted extremists as members, party sources were quick to admit that they have neither the time, nor the resources to vet 1700 candidates.

Responding to the CCHQ document leak, UKIP leader Nigel Farage told The Commentator exclusively, "I am sure that Tory donors will be delighted to learn that their hard earned money is being spent on a research team whose job it is, not to come up with serious policies to get this country back working, but to research gossip, tittle tattle and the dance moves of UKIP candidates. They must be utterly terrified that their shallow approach to government is being seen through by the public.

"If this is the best they can do," Farage said, "then I ask you should we just get rid of the whole lot of them?"

The documents in question date back only as far as April 14th, hinting that the Conservative Party may have been rattled by recent polling figures, deciding at the last minute to enter into negative campaigning. The targets of the briefings include UKIP candidates Chris Scotton, Rob Fraser, Alexis Hira, Brett Lynes, Duncan Shelley, David Sprason, Gary Cart, Leslie Retford, Zoe Philipson, Barry Elliot, Karim Ayoubi, Richard Wilkins and even party youngsters including Ellis Tustin and Stuart O'Reilly.

Other noteworthy comments written by CCHQ researchers in the documents include:

"...General attitudes on Facebook might cause local voters some concern. He has liked a variety of distasteful and aggressive pages" and "...controversial comments made by Leicestershire UKIP candidates on social media include Brett Lynes dismissing Parliament as ‘full of ******s'".

Now its true that some UKIP candidates have said way out there things (bizzare) - but so have Conservatives candidates (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=conservative+candidate+suspended&oq=conservative+candidate+suspended&gs_l=hp.3..33i21l2.260674.265518.0.265585.34.23.1. 8.8.4.2139.7020.5j5j4j4j7-1j0j1.20.0...0.0...1c.1.11.psy-ab.NmWGLjQsdHs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.d2k&fp=a43532b6a92456ab&biw=1280&bih=640), Labour candidates (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=labour+candidate+suspended&oq=labour+candidate+suspended&gs_l=hp.3..0i30.20173.22875.1.23004.18.14.3.0.0.7. 717.2917.7j2j1j2j1j0j1.14.0...0.0...1c.1.11.psy-ab.TZsbJNJAjyc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.d2k&fp=a43532b6a92456ab&biw=1280&bih=640) and Liberal Democrat candidates (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=liberal+democrat+candidate+suspended&oq=liberal+democrat+candidate+suspended&gs_l=hp.3...17819.19390.2.19648.16.14.0.0.0.13.401 .3348.0j4j6j2j1.13.0...0.0...1c.1.11.psy-ab.RC7B_LfkJxQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.d2k&fp=a43532b6a92456ab&biw=1280&bih=640)... anybody who follows local politics knows that is the nature of local politics. And of course the press has a right to (and should) report these stories.

But whats startling is, there has been a campaign launched by Conservative Central Office aimed at UKIP rather than Labour - whereby all the Tory papers (the Mail, Telegraph, Times and the Sun) are reporting heavily on the UKIP candidate stories and making it out as though its the one party that has problem with candidate selections. I saw two articles in the Telegraph where one was a anti-UKIP article with the comments closed whereas a pro-Tory article had the comments open... as all the commentators remarked upon.

Interestingly though they're attacking on personality/political *** for tat rather than policy - probably seeing as the Tory Party no longer have any real policy differences to Labour other than 'vote for us to keep Labour out'. UKIP appears to have rattled the cage big time.

I have to say, when it comes to finding dirt on UKIP candidate dance moves - Brett Lynes was right on what parliament & politics is full of.

Thoughts?

Inseriousity.
27-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Negative campaigning is the norm, it's always annoyed me. A local councillor round here (independent) released a leaflet at the last general election: a 2-sided attack on the labour MP while offering no policies of her own. When I commented on a local forum about it, her supporters argued that it was just the way it is. Regardless of whether you're left or right, if you want to run this country, you should be mature enough to be able to debate the policy rather than the person.

-:Undertaker:-
28-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Negative campaigning is the norm, it's always annoyed me. A local councillor round here (independent) released a leaflet at the last general election: a 2-sided attack on the labour MP while offering no policies of her own. When I commented on a local forum about it, her supporters argued that it was just the way it is. Regardless of whether you're left or right, if you want to run this country, you should be mature enough to be able to debate the policy rather than the person.

I quite like negative campaigning - provided its done on policy. Not one of the attacks in any of the newspapers this weekend has been attacking UKIP policy, rather the Telegraph has criticised everything from Nigel Farages trousers to his lack of dyed black hair. I think politicians on all sides should passionately dislike and distrust eachother - it's good for democracy. But this isn't anything like it.

I've just seen now that the Tories have wheeled out Lord Ashcroft in the Mail on Sunday and old Kenneth Clarke in 'Independent' to go on the attack - not attacking policy or anything, just the usual along the lines of 'stop stealing our vote' and 'UKIP are waycists and loons'. Desperate stuff from the Conservative Party, and only making the situation worse judging from the comments on the articles. The first YouGov leadership rating featuring Farage out today is also interesting..

YouGov leader approval ratings:- Cameron (-21) Miliband (-27) Clegg (-48) Farage (+24)

This is why I love the internet because like the Ron Paul movement in the US, we can now check the facts/policies & records ourselves.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!