PDA

View Full Version : 747 Freighter Crash

Kieran
30-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Some of you may have seen this on the news yesterday. Someone's car happened to record the video of the crash. Pretty sad stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo51Be2jL8c

Thread moved by Bolt660 (Acting Forum Super Moderator): From 'Tourism, Holidays, Vehicles and Transport', as its more suited here.

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Planes are so safe which is why when there is a crash, it's big news.
Really sad news :(
Hopefully the investigation will get issues fixed or at least find a cause to put the families mind to rest.

Obviously by the video, you can see it stalled which is because they didnt have enough speed, but why? I'm sure we'll soon find out.

Kieran
30-04-2013, 04:57 PM
At the moment the speculation is that a load shift occurred on takeoff resulting in the plane stalling. Hence it falling out of the sky.

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 04:58 PM
At the moment the speculation is that a load shift occurred on takeoff resulting in the plane stalling. Hence it falling out of the sky.

These planes are so complex and extensively tested that it was probs human error. Whether it be pilots or the ground crew...

Mark
30-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Wow that's scary stuff! Maybe a stupid question but do planes like that not have ejector seats?

Kieran
30-04-2013, 05:07 PM
No they don't :P

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Wow that's scary stuff! Maybe a stupid question but do planes like that not have ejector seats?

Only military aircrafts.
Plus some pilots stay in their planes till it goes down to divert it away from houses - like the Red Arrows pilot.

Absently
30-04-2013, 05:18 PM
omg that is actually so horrific :(

xxMATTGxx
30-04-2013, 05:30 PM

It would cost so much money if they did. Which is why you only really see them in fighter jets and other military aircraft.

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:33 PM
It would cost so much money if they did. Which is why you only really see them in fighter jets and other military aircraft.

Plus they don't have a glass roof, or wear protective helmets...

sex
30-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Holy crap that is scary. Any news on how many on board?? And it must have had a full tank of fuel which also

xxMATTGxx
30-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Plus they don't have a glass roof, or wear protective helmets...

Well yes thanks for that but that could be changed in a design of the aircraft. But then you have to think about costs.

Holy crap that is scary. Any news on how many on board?? And it must have had a full tank of fuel which also

7 crew (4 pilots, 2 mechanics and a load master)

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:36 PM

You never know, they normally don't carry full fuel unless they have a long distance due to the weight.
With it being freight, between 2 and 4 pilots. Doubt there were any passengers. Obviously cargo will have been lost but that isn't of concern.

Edit: NO 7 CREW! I KNEW THAT, DIDNT READ MATTS POST!

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 06:39 PM ----------

Well yes thanks for that but that could be changed in a design of the aircraft. But then you have to think about costs.

For the numbers of accidents, it's not worth it. Better to invest into research and development to prevent the accidents.

xxMATTGxx
30-04-2013, 05:39 PM
You never know, they normally don't carry full fuel unless they have a long distance due to the weight.
With it being freight, between 2 and 4 pilots. Doubt there were any passengers. Obviously cargo will have been lost but that isn't of concern.

Edit: NO 7 CREW! I KNEW THAT, DIDNT READ MATTS POST!

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 06:39 PM ----------

For the numbers of accidents, it's not worth it. Better to invest into research and development to prevent the accidents.

I never said it was worth it. I understand the reasons behind why passengers and cargo aircraft don't have such systems.

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I never said it was worth it.

I know that. I was agreeing with you.

Kieran
30-04-2013, 05:40 PM
It's sad that it looks like they managed to get it under control last second. A few hundred feet higher and they might have had more chance of recovering out of it :(

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:41 PM
It's sad that it looks like they managed to get it under control last second. A few hundred feet higher and they might have had more chance of recovering out of it :(

Worst part to lose control. Just after takeoff :(

xxMATTGxx
30-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Worst part to lose control. Just after takeoff :(

Surely to lose control at any point in flight is considered bad? Not just at takeoff. :rolleyes:

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Surely to lose control at any point in flight is considered bad? Not just at takeoff. :rolleyes:
Do you have any more complaints about my posts?
Of course it is but it is the hardest part to recover from because of the low altitude and low speed.

Kieran
30-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Do you have any more complaints about my posts?
Of course it is but it is the hardest part to recover from because of the low altitude and low speed.

You actually have a lower speed at landing... and you're heading in to the ground. I'd be more concerned then ;)

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:48 PM
You actually have a lower speed at landing... and you're heading in to the ground. I'd be more concerned then ;)

Touché
Landing and takeoff. Hardest parts to recover from.

Kieran
30-04-2013, 05:53 PM
I'd also be vary wary of a high altitude stall...

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I'd also be vary wary of a high altitude stall...

Sure, but you have a fair amount of altitude to recover in. Having said that, if you're stalling at high altitude, something must have seriously messed up :/

Kieran
30-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Not really... Quite easy to stall at high altitude if you're not paying attention due to being so close to coffin corner.

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Not really... Quite easy to stall at high altitude if you're not paying attention due to being so close to coffin corner.

Quite easy. Yes. But we are talking about some seriously clever people flying these planes that have gone through years of training.

sex
30-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Intricat is am air hostess don't disagree with him Calum!! He knows his stuff lol

Kieran
30-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Does that make me seriously clever then?

Also... Air France 447 springs to mind ;)

xxMATTGxx
30-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Kieran is our very own sexy gay pilot. Don't disagree with him ;/

lemons
i didn't know you were a pilot callum

Calum0812
Does that make me seriously clever then?

Also... Air France 447 springs to mind ;)

Are you a pilot irl :o
Sure, there are *REMOVED* but they are few and far between. Flying is one of the safest modes of transport. I mean, the number of planes that successfully takeoff and land everyday far outweighs the number of accidents.

Edit: I may not be a pilot and Kieran is a clever chap to be a pilot but just putting what I *think* I know out there :P

Edited by Bolt660 (Acting Forum Super Moderator): Please do not avoid the filter!

Kieran
30-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Are you a pilot irl :o
Sure, there are *REMOVED*, but they are few and far between. Flying is one of the safest modes of transport. I mean, the number of planes that successfully takeoff and land everyday far outweighs the number of accidents.

I may well be ;)

I have been known to take a number of large aircraft to the skies on a regular basis.

Calum0812
30-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I may well be ;)

I have been known to take a number of large aircraft to the skies on a regular basis.

Oooooooooooo!
-hides in corner-

Cerys
30-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Oh my god.

My mouth is actually hanging open.

It just... falls...
this is scary and shocking dfgjdsfkgi

Ardemax
30-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Such a tragic accident. RIP.

Succubus
01-05-2013, 05:52 AM
That's so scary, and very tragic. RIP to all those.

Narnat,
01-05-2013, 11:31 AM
That's is really sad, it's also extremely scary to see the way that it just suddenly falls :(

Typoh
01-05-2013, 12:13 PM
RIP, would of loved to of been the truck driver :P what an experience!

scottish
01-05-2013, 02:19 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/video-horrific-plane-crash-in-afghanistan-8598544.html

holy ****

Threads merged by Bolt660 (Acting Forum Super Moderator): As there is already a topic about this.

Calum0812
01-05-2013, 02:21 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=776578
Is that the same crash?

Cerys
01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah it is ^_^

Pretty scary stuff..!

Adam
01-05-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm going on a plane on Friday. I want something exciting like to happen.

GommeInc
01-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I may well be ;)

Enough of your smut ;)

That was a bit awful to watch, something about it going up and then just falling seemed to churn the stomach :/ It could of been far worse as a passenger plane or taking off from an airport in the middle of a busy metropolitan area, but quite alarming.

Isn't that quite an old aircraft now a days?

EDIT: Apparently the Taliban might of claimed shooting it down (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nato-denies-taliban-involvement-as-cargo-plane-crashes-after-takeoff-from-bagram-airbase-in-afghanistan-killing-all-seven-crew-members-8595614.html) - although anyone with eyes can see it must of stalled due to an error on board (either human or mechanical).

xxMATTGxx
01-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Enough of your smut ;)

That was a bit awful to watch, something about it going up and then just falling seemed to churn the stomach :/ It could of been far worse as a passenger plane or taking off from an airport in the middle of a busy metropolitan area, but quite alarming.

Isn't that quite an old aircraft now a days?

EDIT: Apparently the Taliban might of claimed shooting it down (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nato-denies-taliban-involvement-as-cargo-plane-crashes-after-takeoff-from-bagram-airbase-in-afghanistan-killing-all-seven-crew-members-8595614.html) - although anyone with eyes can see it must of stalled due to an error on board (either human or mechanical).

The specific aircraft in question was around 20 years old which isn't that old really. The 747-400 model could be considered old but not "old old" if that makes sense? :P

Chippiewill
01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Thank god it was a freighter and not a passenger jet. Obviously it's still bad but it could have been much, much worse.

Literally the first thing I thought when I saw the video.

xxMATTGxx
01-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Although not 100% the same, an interesting read when things mistakes occur when you are loading a cargo aircraft:

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/B744,_Gardermoen_Norway,_2004_%28GND_LOC%29

Catchy
01-05-2013, 08:22 PM
this is why i don't like flying and i hate it when people say you're more likely to die in a car crash or get hit by a bus. statistically yeah but at least it'll be over quick and you wouldn't know "we're goin down..." the whole thing would be so traumatic and if it was something like that, well u wouldn't really have a chance in hell

oh and i'll probably be the tiny statistic who does die in a plane crash, it will be just my luck!

Kieran
01-05-2013, 08:31 PM
this is why i don't like flying and i hate it when people say you're more likely to die in a car crash or get hit by a bus. statistically yeah but at least it'll be over quick and you wouldn't know "we're goin down..." the whole thing would be so traumatic and if it was something like that, well u wouldn't really have a chance in hell

oh and i'll probably be the tiny statistic who does die in a plane crash, it will be just my luck!

Pretty sure that would have been over within seconds... I'd rather that than die in agony from a car crash that doesn't quite finish you off.

Catchy
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Pretty sure that would have been over within seconds... I'd rather that than die in agony from a car crash that doesn't quite finish you off.

jus don't like the whole idea of a plane crash, the oxygen masks etc just the thought of it. guess i'm just an anxious flyer

xxMATTGxx
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
jus don't like the whole idea of a plane crash, the oxygen masks etc just the thought of it. guess i'm just an anxious flyer

So what about when your in a car crash and then you are given Oxygen by the emg. services and then you later die?

e5
01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Saw this in the paper today, that video is mad :/ the guy doesn't seem very shocked...

Catchy
01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
So what about when your in a car crash and then you are given Oxygen by the emg. services and then you later die?

its jus diff!!! think my fear comes from i just feel being that high up is so unnatural

Kieran
01-05-2013, 09:33 PM
its jus diff!!! think my fear comes from i just feel being that high up is so unnatural

So's being gay...

Cerys
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Exactly my train of thought.

I think the whole atmosphere of it... the oxygen masks dropping, people panicing and saying goodbye.. I think that it would end like it does in the movies. Everything kind of slows down and you can see all little details which you wouldn't normally notice, if you see what I mean?
I dunno, it just scares me. But atleast it's hopefully over quickly when the impact actually occurs.

I am scared to death of planes. Probably my worst fears

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!