PDA

View Full Version : What is your view on cannabis?

hairpins
02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
SO sum1 on habo was promotin drugs 2 me earlier n it got mi thinkin

sum pplz think tht cannabis iznt very harmful n itz good 4 u.

wot dew yew think? iz it bad? iz it a-ok? shud i call a mod?

http://i40.tinypic.com/5fiw0p.png

MKR&*42
02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Lmao

In a serious opinion, I couldn't care less if a person smokes cannabis or not. Their choice and no-one should be there to say otherwise.

Cerys
02-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Seriously, everyone who I know who smokes it says that it's not as harmful as tobacco so idk.

But it messes up your mind worse than it, instead of your lungs (even though its probs just as bad) SO IDK. Never gonna do it though. Just using a hookah made me die a little nevermind actual smoking ;l

Adam
02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Legalise it and tax it.

That said I am not a smoker at all and do not condone the use of it however it's been proven to be pretty pointless when it comes to medical problems so yeah.

LiquidLuck.
02-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Legalise it and tax it.

Amen. Same with prostitutes. More money for the State.

buttons
02-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Seriously, everyone who I know who smokes it says that it's not as harmful as tobacco so idk.

But it messes up your mind worse than it, instead of your lungs (even though its probs just as bad) SO IDK. Never gonna do it though. Just using a hookah made me die a little nevermind actual smoking ;l
isn't using a hookah equivalent to like 50 cigs or somethin CAN'T REMEMBER but it's worse than smoking im sure

umm i don't take cannabis frequently but whatever im not against people who take it or it being legalised, id rather it was and with EVERYTIHNG, it has good and bad effects

Cerys
02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
isn't using a hookah equivalent to like 50 cigs or somethin CAN'T REMEMBER but it's worse than smoking im sure

umm i don't take cannabis frequently but whatever im not against people who take it or it being legalised, id rather it was and with EVERYTIHNG, it has good and bad effects

IS IT?!?! i need to educate myself before i use stuff like that again then omg. But its too pretty to be dangerous!! look at it and its beauty.

http://i.imgur.com/GdplRSs.jpg

Aiden
02-05-2013, 06:47 PM
it doesnt bother me but i wouldnt do it

AgnesIO
02-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Would love to have this debate if the original post was worded half decently...

But personally I wouldn't smoke it, and I fail to see the need to legalise it (although anyone against any state intervention will obviously think otherwise.

Yawn
02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
dont drink and drive smoke weed and fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOLO

AgnesIO
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
dont drink and drive smoke weed and fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOLO

hahahahahahahaaaaaa

OISYOLO

No, really, what? :S

Kardan
02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I think it's bad. I think all drugs are bad... I'm not thinking of a tax perspective, so I wouldn't care less if it completely vanished from the face of the planet. I also don't think very highly of people who smoke it either, and I think the laws are a bit lax on it as well, I'm sure I've smelt people smoking weed in the streets and wonder how they get away with it?

(Or perhaps I'm just actually clueless to what weed smells like :P)

Must say, despite the post being badly worded, great topic. I'm surprised this hasn't come up before?

Also must say that I'm surprised at the outcome so far, I thought only the chavs and 'cool' kids smoked weed, obviously I'm way out of the times :P

Ardemax
02-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Nah cannabis is bad for the heart. I hear cocaine has health benefits, though.

buttons
02-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I think it's bad. I think all drugs are bad... I'm not thinking of a tax perspective, so I wouldn't care less if it completely vanished from the face of the planet. I also don't think very highly of people who smoke it either, and I think the laws are a bit lax on it as well, I'm sure I've smelt people smoking weed in the streets and wonder how they get away with it?

Must say, despite the post being badly worded, great topic. I'm surprised this hasn't come up before?

Also must say that I'm surprised at the outcome so far, I thought only the chavs and 'cool' kids smoked weed, obviously I'm way out of the times :P
don't have to smoke it to think it should be legalised or to have a positive opinion on it?

Kardan
02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
don't have to smoke it to think it should be legalised or to have a positive opinion on it?

No, you don't. But personally I prefer it not to be legalised. I wouldn't want more people going around being high in public :P Of course, I'm not thinking of the tax implications. I don't know much about it. I'd also get rid of alcohol and cigarettes, but I'm sure the country would collapse or something to that aspect :P

FlyingJesus
02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
There's massive benefit to be had through legalising cannabis, not least the reported health benefits in relation to cancer. Hemp fibre and other hemp-related products are also proven to be extremely environmentally friendly, especially with regard to "hemp plastic" which is not only biodegradable itself but would reduce the need for oil-manufactured plastics, so it has a double benefit in that sense - this however is its own downfall as the oil companies which hold so much influence as "friends" of the government battle ceaselessly to keep it out of production lest they lose out on their profits.

As a drug, it doesn't excite me. Nothing against it as such, it just doesn't have a great effect on me and most of the people I know who are into "weed culture" are utter morons

MKR&*42
02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm sure I've smelt people smoking weed in the streets and wonder how they get away with it?

It does have a very strong smell yes, I've walked through many groups of people town smoking and you can quite clearly tell they're smoking weed :P I too wonder how they get away with it.

Kardan
02-05-2013, 09:31 PM
It does have a very strong smell yes, I've walked through many groups of people town smoking and you can quite clearly tell they're smoking weed :P I too wonder how they get away with it.

I'm not being stupid, it is illegal to smoke it, isn't it? Or at least be in possession of it? I'm pretty sure if I decide to carry around a gun, something will be done. I know a gun is different to cannabis, but a law's a law.

MKR&*42
02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm not being stupid, it is illegal to smoke it, isn't it? Or at least be in possession of it? I'm pretty sure if I decide to carry around a gun, something will be done. I know a gun is different to cannabis, but a law's a law.

It is illegal yes, but police are much more lenient towards it than other drugs. I know that even if you go to court for possessing it, you can be let off with a "cannabis warning" which you wouldn't receive for any other drug :P

Kardan
02-05-2013, 09:39 PM
It is illegal yes, but police are much more lenient towards it than other drugs. I know that even if you go to court for possessing it, you can be let off with a "cannabis warning" which you wouldn't receive for any other drug :P

Well what's the point in it being made illegal then? A waste of money in court costs if you only get a warning...

MKR&*42
02-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Well what's the point in it being made illegal then? A waste of money in court costs if you only get a warning...

The warning is only given if you possess/posses (idk) a small amount of it. I believe I may have been mistaken as well, I think the police give cannabis warnings primarily :P

I've just checked and I never knew it was a class B drug? I swear it was Class C because it was never viewed as particularly dangerous.

Kardan
02-05-2013, 09:44 PM
The warning is only given if you possess/posses (idk) a small amount of it. I believe I may have been mistaken as well, I think the police give cannabis warnings primarily :P

I've just checked and I never knew it was a class B drug? I swear it was Class C because it was never viewed as particularly dangerous.

I'm pretty sure it got upgraded only a while back actually.

Yup, 2008: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7748419.stm

MKR&*42
02-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty sure it got upgraded only a while back actually.

Yup, 2008: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7748419.stm

Oh wow, I still don't understand their reasoning behind it if it isn't as degrading as alcohol. The upgrading seems to be on the basis on personal dislike of the drug than its actual dangers.

Shockwave.2CC
03-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Cannabis is OK if it's given from the doctors as a prescription. But taking without, thats a no no

Metric1
03-05-2013, 03:19 AM
I see nothing wrong with it. Canada is a lot more lenient when it comes to weed so naturally I smoke a hell of a lot more up there than I do here.

Daltron
03-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Whilst it is illegal it acts as a gateway which will in turn cost taxpayers money in the long run. It would just make sense to legalise it and tax it directly as stated. I don't care much for it.

hairpins
03-05-2013, 01:40 PM
think alot of yew need two tlk 2 frank

http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/cannabis/?&gclid=CLKM6OCH-rYCFfQZtAodh0MA0g

Zak
03-05-2013, 03:12 PM
I have nothing wrong with it - in my "youth" :P not wanting to drop myself in it but obviously a person like me has encountered it before. I wish they would just legalise it, I'm sure smoking weed is actually better for you than smoking tobacco anyway?

Kardan
03-05-2013, 03:24 PM
I have nothing wrong with it - in my "youth" :P not wanting to drop myself in it but obviously a person like me has encountered it before. I wish they would just legalise it, I'm sure smoking weed is actually better for you than smoking tobacco anyway?

Nope, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/6922379.stm

MKR&*42
03-05-2013, 03:37 PM

A study in the US said otherwise - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html

And as far as I can see after browsing online, no-one has ever solely died from smoking cannabis. But tbh, everywhere I go online I get different stories - "Cannabis isn't damaging" and "Cannabis is damaging" so I don't even know what false information people get fed anymore.

Kardan
03-05-2013, 03:48 PM
A study in the US said otherwise - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html

And as far as I can see after browsing online, no-one has ever solely died from smoking cannabis. But tbh, everywhere I go online I get different stories - "Cannabis isn't damaging" and "Cannabis is damaging" so I don't even know what false information people get fed anymore.

The two articles do have different conclusions, BBC says that smoking cannabis causes health issues with the lungs, but doesn't mention cancer. Yours simply says there's no correlation to lung cancer, but not health issues :P But I would agree with you that there probably is as many papers out there saying there is no correlation as there is... But even if half the papers saying it's healthier than cigarettes, does that make it right?

FlyingJesus
03-05-2013, 03:57 PM
The BBC article also manages to miss out the fact that most cannabis smokers smoke it with a pretty hefty lining of tobacco to help it burn, as having a blunt of just weed is expensive and takes a lot of re-lighting. Their "tobacco and cannabis smokers" category is just for tobacco addicts who recreationally smoke cannabis, and I severely doubt anyone smokes them in equal quantities considering prices and addiction rates :P

MKR&*42
03-05-2013, 04:04 PM
The two articles do have different conclusions, BBC says that smoking cannabis causes health issues with the lungs, but doesn't mention cancer. Yours simply says there's no correlation to lung cancer, but not health issues :P But I would agree with you that there probably is as many papers out there saying there is no correlation as there is... But even if half the papers saying it's healthier than cigarettes, does that make it right?

I wouldn't say that because it doesn't cause cancer it should be 'praised' and I would never say that it's fully good for a healthy person to smoke it constantly, but I have never understood a massive issue with it.

The study that says one cannabis joint = 5 cigarettes doesn't seem to take into account how addictive tobacco is compared to cannabis (because of the nicotine). I think it's about 32% of tobacco users will become addicted whereas the figure for cannabis is around 10% (http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/19/is-marijuana-addictive-it-depends-how-you-define-addiction/ + http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201012/is-marijuana-addictive), which leads to chain smoking. If more tobacco users chain smoke than weed users, then effectively they would make up for that 1 weed joint = 5 cigs because heavy smokers get through a lot more than 5 a day. + Yes I expect there's possibility to find a source that says otherwise :P

Essentially though, it seems to be down to whether you think the state should intervene or not (as Marketing said). I don't think the state should intervene with matters regarding your own body and that we all deserve the individual choice (when we reach a certain age) to decide whether to take drugs or not. The same applies for alcohol and cigarettes so I fail to see why not most drugs.

Catchy
03-05-2013, 04:13 PM
It stinks, but nah I don't have a problem with it. If people want the occasional smoke or whatever then it's completely their choice and no one else should really cast judgment on it. Personally not a fan of it, will have the odd drag once in a blue moon but it's not something I'd use daily as it is for some.

Zak
03-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Thank you! I never knew that, very interesting :)

The most important finding was that one joint of cannabis was similar to 2.5 to five tobacco cigarettes in terms of causing airflow obstruction.

AgnesIO
03-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Basically, the people who smoke it say it isn't damaging.

Everyone else with a brain cell acknowledges it is.

GommeInc
03-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I used to be flat out against it but I'm slowly seeing that maybe it isn't such a bad drug after all. The problem really is legislating it. Should it only be smoked privately, be given to people for medicinal reasons or made legal and taxed?

I've never used it, the only thing I ever use is alcohol and even then I'm classy and only drink wine, sherry or shandies :P But from what I've been told it's not as full on as alcohol and it can be good for medicinal reasons. The cannabis debate seems to of gone quiet lately so can't really say much else until new studies and thoughts have been chucked into the mix.

bogan
04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
At the end of the day it should be the decision of the individual on whether or not they wish to consume it. If it were up to me, I would put it on the same level as alcohol and tobacco legally. In regards to health, a lot of the risks associated with it can be countered by simply consuming it orally. Cannabinoids have been used to address a host of maladies and to be honest I really don't see a whole lot of negatives that can result from usage of the plant. Sure some people become slack whilst under the influence of it but others know how to moderate their consumption and it is beneficial to them mentally, emotionally and physically.

HarrySX
04-05-2013, 10:53 PM
I smoke cannabis regularly with friends (switch between joints and shisha) - two or three times a week and yet I don't think it should be legalised. If the drug is more freely available the user's tolerance will build up -- meaning a lot more needs to be smoked (often with tobacco too which is the danger) -- and the side effects associated with excessive smoking will start to take its toll. Generally the health problems aren't from weed, they're from tobacco. Though if it were to be legalised it'd save the government a fair amount of tax payer's money, as outlined earlier in this thread. There's no problem with smoking it IMO, it's cheaper (!) than alcohol and won't damage your liver like excessive drinking will.

However I'm a big fan of synthetic cannabis as they're just brilliant on so many levels. No comedown and a lot of people I know just get crazy giggles. A lot of it is psychological though... someone will randomly just stop talking and it has a domino effect where everybody thinks it's suddenly worn off.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 12:02 AM ----------

That's a pretty sweeping and offensive thing to say...?

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 12:03 AM ----------

At the end of the day it should be the decision of the individual on whether or not they wish to consume it. If it were up to me, I would put it on the same level as alcohol and tobacco legally. In regards to health, a lot of the risks associated with it can be countered by simply consuming it orally. Cannabinoids have been used to address a host of maladies and to be honest I really don't see a whole lot of negatives that can result from usage of the plant. Sure some people become slack whilst under the influence of it but others know how to moderate their consumption and it is beneficial to them mentally, emotionally and physically.

+1 (H)

AgnesIO
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
I smoke cannabis regularly with friends (switch between joints and shisha) - two or three times a week and yet I don't think it should be legalised. If the drug is more freely available the user's tolerance will build up -- meaning a lot more needs to be smoked (often with tobacco too which is the danger) -- and the side effects associated with excessive smoking will start to take its toll. Generally the health problems aren't from weed, they're from tobacco. Though if it were to be legalised it'd save the government a fair amount of tax payer's money, as outlined earlier in this thread. There's no problem with smoking it IMO, it's cheaper (!) than alcohol and won't damage your liver like excessive drinking will.

However I'm a big fan of synthetic cannabis as they're just brilliant on so many levels. No comedown and a lot of people I know just get crazy giggles. A lot of it is psychological though... someone will randomly just stop talking and it has a domino effect where everybody thinks it's suddenly worn off.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 12:02 AM ----------

That's a pretty sweeping and offensive thing to say...?

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 12:03 AM ----------

+1 (H)

I wouldn't call it offensive, personally though I smoke literally nothing, so obviously my stance on it is going to be against it. I have nothing against other people using it (as in, I wouldn't call the police or something ;l) - but seeing what people are like after smoking it.. could be pretty dangerous.

hairpins
08-05-2013, 02:13 PM
drugs r bad mmk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Special
08-05-2013, 02:16 PM
of course it's ok

0 deaths from it ever

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 02:23 PM
of course it's ok

0 deaths from it ever

Not sure if sarcastic..?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Special
08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Not sure if sarcastic..?

no i'm not being sarcastic

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
no i'm not being sarcastic

Evidently can result in deaths.

Special
08-05-2013, 03:00 PM

how??

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 03:03 PM
how??

I look at it like this. Smoke, get cancer, die. Ultimately it would have been the smoking that killed you.

Special
08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I look at it like this. Smoke, get cancer, die. Ultimately it would have been the smoking that killed you.

marijuana isn't tobacco and doesn't have any tobacco in it (unless you put it in the joint)

also your point 'Smoke, get cancer, die.' is ridiculous, if caught in stage one there's a 29-33% chance of surviving

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 03:18 PM
marijuana isn't tobacco and doesn't have any tobacco in it (unless you put it in the joint)

also your point 'Smoke, get cancer, die.' is ridiculous, if caught in stage one there's a 29-33% chance of surviving

Meaning 70% will die even in stage one? Damn I wouldn't be happy with those odds.

Also, unlike tobacco, it messes with people after smoking it (ie. high). Whilst this is also possible with alcohol, when the substance is alcohol you don't see people in the middle of the day posses very regularly. But smoking weed would be a "anytime goes" situation.

Special
08-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Meaning 70% will die even in stage one? Damn I wouldn't be happy with those odds.

Also, unlike tobacco, it messes with people after smoking it (ie. high). Whilst this is also possible with alcohol, when the substance is alcohol you don't see people in the middle of the day posses very regularly. But smoking weed would be a "anytime goes" situation.

Meaning 70% will die even in stage one? Damn I wouldn't be happy with those odds. meaning it's not for sure you're going to die from lung cancer which is the point you made

i have no idea what you have just wrote there but you're going off the point, marijuana hasn't killed anyone in history yet (in fact it's good for your health if used moderatley) and i'm still waiting for you to prove this

e5
08-05-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't smoke it, but I think legalizing it would cut down gang related crime massively and there is no harm in it

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 03:47 PM
meaning it's not for sure you're going to die from lung cancer which is the point you made

i have no idea what you have just wrote there but you're going off the point, marijuana hasn't killed anyone in history yet (in fact it's good for your health if used moderatley) and i'm still waiting for you to prove this

I never said it was certain.

that evidently isn't true, as not every smoker gets cancer at all, so please don't twist my words :)

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 04:50 PM ----------

I don't smoke it, but I think legalizing it would cut down gang related crime massively and there is no harm in it

Surely if you legalised all guns there would be a fall in illegal gun ownership too though. If you get what I mean?

Special
08-05-2013, 03:55 PM

that evidently isn't true, as not every smoker gets cancer at all, so please don't twist my words :)

yes you did and i quote

Smoke, get cancer, die.

if marijuana is so bad for you why have they recently started prescribing it as medicine?

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 03:57 PM
yes you did and i quote

if marijuana is so bad for you why have they recently started prescribing it as medicine?

Like saying the Smoking Kills advertisements are saying everyone who smokes dies because of smoking. That evidently isn't the case.

Special
08-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Like saying the Smoking Kills advertisements are saying everyone who smokes dies because of smoking. That evidently isn't the case.

you're contradicting yourself because you said 'Smoke. Get cancer. Die' and now you're saying that isn't true

you dodged my question; if marijuana is so bad for you, why have they started prescribing it as medicine?

velvet
08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
right, as someone who has smoked cannabis every day for over a year and who has done A LOT of research, i'm gunna go through some points made.

Nah cannabis is bad for the heart. I hear cocaine has health benefits, though.

no it isn't. not more so than an *REMOVED* or anything else that raises your heart rate. it would only have a real, negative effect on someone with a heart condition.
it isn't actually the cannabis that has that effect, it's the process of smoking it. if you vaporize it it's not half as bad.

when burnt from the bud, it's very tarry, which is kinda what that article is getting at.
you'll find a lot of conflicting information, i don't usually trust UK studies as we can't actually freely research in the country.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57356379-10391704/is-smoking-marijuana-bad-for-your-lungs/
there are some studies that say smoking cannabis actually improves lung function.

lol, no.
cannabis has a HELL of a lot of health benefits, hell, it's even anti-carcinogenic.
cannabis can be put into baked goods and teas and has NO negative health effects when consumed in said way.

there are zero deaths recorded caused by cannabis. fact.

it should be legalized and taxed. it would bring huge revenue and make the plant easily accessible to the people who need it.
i worry about people who buy it and don't know what they're doing, they can end up with weed sprayed with tiny glass fragments, sand, etc. amongst dodgy dealers those practices are used to increase weight.
legalizing it would mean that people have access to safe, clean cannabis.

some benefits of cannabis (i can get sources and evidence if you ask :) -

- cannabis is one of the most effective natural pain killers
- it relieves nausea
- it relaxes the muscles
- increased appetite
(these effects are why it is used for cancer, aids and MS sufferers)

- a chemical in cannabis (THC) prevent the formation of deposits in the brain that cause Alzheimer's disease, it can also help slow the disease down.

- it is proven that CBT (another chemical in cannabis) stops the spread of breast cancer to the rest of the body.

- THC promotes the death of brain cancer cells

- it can be used to get people off of harder substances, like opiates, by alleviating withdrawal symptoms .

i struggle with chronic anxiety and cannabis has absolutely revolutionized my life.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 05:20 PM ----------

my god that was a pisstake to write

Edited by Bolt660 (Acting Forum Super Moderator): Please don't avoid the filter, cheers!

e5
08-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Completely different. Guns kill people :)

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 04:50 PM ----------

Surely if you legalised all guns there would be a fall in illegal gun ownership too though. If you get what I mean?

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 04:37 PM
right, as someone who has smoked cannabis every day for over a year and who has done A LOT of research, i'm gunna go through some points made.

no it isn't. not more so than an *REMOVED* or anything else that raises your heart rate. it would only have a real, negative effect on someone with a heart condition.
it isn't actually the cannabis that has that effect, it's the process of smoking it. if you vaporize it it's not half as bad.

when burnt from the bud, it's very tarry, which is kinda what that article is getting at.
you'll find a lot of conflicting information, i don't usually trust UK studies as we can't actually freely research in the country.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57356379-10391704/is-smoking-marijuana-bad-for-your-lungs/
there are some studies that say smoking cannabis actually improves lung function.

lol, no.
cannabis has a HELL of a lot of health benefits, hell, it's even anti-carcinogenic.
cannabis can be put into baked goods and teas and has NO negative health effects when consumed in said way.

there are zero deaths recorded caused by cannabis. fact.

it should be legalized and taxed. it would bring huge revenue and make the plant easily accessible to the people who need it.
i worry about people who buy it and don't know what they're doing, they can end up with weed sprayed with tiny glass fragments, sand, etc. amongst dodgy dealers those practices are used to increase weight.
legalizing it would mean that people have access to safe, clean cannabis.

some benefits of cannabis (i can get sources and evidence if you ask :) -

- cannabis is one of the most effective natural pain killers
- it relieves nausea
- it relaxes the muscles
- increased appetite
(these effects are why it is used for cancer, aids and MS sufferers)

- a chemical in cannabis (THC) prevent the formation of deposits in the brain that cause Alzheimer's disease, it can also help slow the disease down.

- it is proven that CBT (another chemical in cannabis) stops the spread of breast cancer to the rest of the body.

- THC promotes the death of brain cancer cells

- it can be used to get people off of harder substances, like opiates, by alleviating withdrawal symptoms .

i struggle with chronic anxiety and cannabis has absolutely revolutionized my life.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 05:20 PM ----------

my god that was a pisstake to write

There are surely no deaths caused by smoking at all then? Just the illnesses it leads on to..

Completely different. Guns kill people :)

I was pointing out that if you legalise anything, then the number of crimes relating to that will fall. Legalise the downloading of paid music, and the number of illegal downloads overall will evidently fall.

Special
08-05-2013, 04:46 PM
he has avoided my question 3 times now lol

e5
08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Yes, but my point with cannabis is it actually affects no one by making it legal. Making guns legal will affect people, making music free to download will ruin the music business etc.
There is no reason why cannabis shouldn't be legalised.
There are surely no deaths caused by smoking at all then? Just the illnesses it leads on to..

I was pointing out that if you legalise anything, then the number of crimes relating to that will fall. Legalise the downloading of paid music, and the number of illegal downloads overall will evidently fall.

velvet
08-05-2013, 04:52 PM

to be fair there's so much conflicting information about the lung situation, but there's been studies going both ways so i guess at the moment you just have to go on personal belief.

i'm assuming you're talking about death caused by lung cancer? since that's the only thing really up for debate when it comes to physical health and cannabis.

a hell of a lot of studies have shown no link to lung cancer.
burning any plant matter releases carcinogens into the smoke, but many compounds in marijuana are anti-carcinogens, so the juries out.

Adam
08-05-2013, 05:18 PM
dui's for one

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 05:20 PM
he has avoided my question 3 times now lol

I'll be honest, I didn't even see your last post.

And chocolate supposedly helps certain illnesses, doesn't make it good for you?

Special
08-05-2013, 05:23 PM
I'll be honest, I didn't even see your last post.

And chocolate supposedly helps certain illnesses, doesn't make it good for you?

i'll assume you mean dark chocolate and if it helps illness then yes of course it's good for you

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 05:25 PM
i'll assume you mean dark chocolate and if it helps illness then yes of course it's good for you

Well yeah but high fattening foods may well be good for an anorexic person - doesn't mean everyone should start eating them.

High carbs are excellent for certain people - awful for others...

Special
08-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Well yeah but high fattening foods may well be good for an anorexic person - doesn't mean everyone should start eating them.

High carbs are excellent for certain people - awful for others...

i don't even know why we're onto food now but you're making a lot of strong points without backing them up with evidence, how do you know high carbs are good for some people & bad for others?

marijuana is available as medicine, chocolate isn't meaning they must have an awful lot of scientific proof that it's good for you, why should i listen to someone over the internet over years of research into the drug?

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
i don't even know why we're onto food now but you're making a lot of strong points without backing them up with evidence, how do you know high carbs are good for some people & bad for others?

marijuana is available as medicine, chocolate isn't meaning they must have an awful lot of scientific proof that it's good for you, why should i listen to someone over the internet over years of research into the drug?

The food point is simply pointing out what foods can be good for certain people, at certain times. On the carbs point, I mean if you happen to do a lot of exercise, then a lot of carbs for you is a good thing - don't do any exercise, and having the same amount of carbs would definitely be a bad thing.

Research will find what you want it to find. If you go out looking to find why marijuana is good for you, then you will find it is - likewise, people who research as to why it should be banned will certainly find reasons for this viewpoint as well. Marijuana may be available as a medicine, but only in controlled amounts - and only for certain illnesses (isn't it generally for pain related stuff? In which case it evidently does work there...)

Kardan
08-05-2013, 05:42 PM
If cannabis is used as medicine, should we give out morphine as well?

It may not cause deaths directly, but I don't want people walking near me on the streets high as a kite, ajust as I don't want somebody blowing smoke into my face, or being pissed around me.

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 05:45 PM

It may not cause deaths directly, but I don't want people walking near me on the streets high as a kite, ajust as I don't want somebody blowing smoke into my face, or being pissed around me.

That was my point from earlier. People have tried the argument on me before about "well drunk people can walk past me" - yeah they can, but rarely happens during the time. If cannabis was legal, people would quite happily walk down the street with it.

---

I should point out here, that I wouldn't have any problems with smoking being completely banned in public. I despise getting off my train daily to masses of people blowing smoke in my face for my entire walk to town. They might want to smoke, but I don't.

Special
08-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Research will find what you want it to find. If you go out looking to find why marijuana is good for you, then you will find it is - likewise, people who research as to why it should be banned will certainly find reasons for this viewpoint as well. Marijuana may be available as a medicine, but only in controlled amounts - and only for certain illnesses (isn't it generally for pain related stuff? In which case it evidently does work there...)

i disagree, science & medicine professions aren't bias, they would have done many trials, including placebos, to determine if it's good or bad

all medicines are prescribed in controlled amounts & only for certain illness not just cannabis

and no, actually it's somewhat of a super-drug used for many things

Examples of what medical marijuana is used for include AIDS, cancer, ADHD, multiple sclerosis, nausea resulting from chemotherapy, Crohn's disease, glaucoma, epilepsy, insomnia, migraines, arthritis and lack of appetite see http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/whats-medical-marijuana-for

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 05:51 PM
i disagree, science & medicine professions aren't bias, they would have done many trials, including placebos, to determine if it's good or bad

all medicines are prescribed in controlled amounts & only for certain illness not just cannabis

see http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/whats-medical-marijuana-for

So you think we should legalise cannabis because it helps a minority of people who suffer illnesses.

Looks like someone missed Kardan's post, doesn't it?

Kardan
08-05-2013, 05:52 PM

see http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/whats-medical-marijuana-for

I don't argue that it can be used for benefit in medicine, but why does that mean it should be legalised and people can smoke it whenever they want?

Special
08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
So you think we should legalise cannabis because it helps a minority of people who suffer illnesses.

Examples of what medical marijuana is used for include AIDS, cancer, ADHD, multiple sclerosis, nausea resulting from chemotherapy, Crohn's disease, glaucoma, epilepsy, insomnia, migraines, arthritis and lack of appetite

this doesn't look like a minority to me

and if you weren't aware of how forums work i was replying to you and didn't want to refresh the page half way though typing

I don't argue that it can be used for benefit in medicine, but why does that mean it should be legalised and people can smoke it whenever they want?

because it isn't dangerous

t's been proven time and time again that cigarettes/tobacco is far more dangerous, shouldn't you be more concerned about cigarettes than cannabis?

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:02 PM

because it's their lives and people should have the freedom to do what they want.
i could walk down the street high as a kite and you wouldn't know, i do it every day. i don't agree with smoking it in crowded areas, but i don't agree with smoking anything in those circumstances.

being high makes you calm, it doesn't make you aggressive and such like alcohol. it's a completely unoffensive state.

cannabis isn't only beneficial for a minority, it could be beneficial for a majority if people weren't brainwashed, like you, into thinking a cannabis is some sort of evil, murderous gateway drug.

it's completely ignorant.

---

also y'all can shut up about skipping posts because you skipped mine.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Examples of what medical marijuana is used for include AIDS, cancer, ADHD, multiple sclerosis, nausea resulting from chemotherapy, Crohn's disease, glaucoma, epilepsy, insomnia, migraines, arthritis and lack of appetite

and if you weren't aware of how forums work i was replying to you and didn't want to refresh the page half way though typing

t's been proven time and time again that cigarettes/tobacco is far more dangerous, shouldn't you be more concerned about cigarettes than cannabis?

I would ban cigarettes if I could, don't worry :P But something about businesses collapsing, people losing jobs and the economy being destroyed or something like that :P

So if cannabis isn't dangerous, why is it illegal? And if it is legalised, does that mean kids can smoke it?

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 06:04 PM

And yet again you still haven't replied to an extremely good point by Kardan here; http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=776748&p=7897700#post7897700

Also you can quote the illnesses as frequently as you like. Now what percentage of the global population suffer from one of those illnesses? I bet the vast majority don't suffer from them. And before you try it, Cannabis SUPPOSEDLY helps brain cancer - before you try and tell me it helps every cancer sufferer. Also, as a migraine sufferer I can tell you that smoke can actually cause migraines too...

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:05 PM
because it's their lives and people should have the freedom to do what they want.
i could walk down the street high as a kite and you wouldn't know, i do it every day. i don't agree with smoking it in crowded areas, but i don't agree with smoking anything in those circumstances.

being high makes you calm, it doesn't make you aggressive and such like alcohol. it's a completely unoffensive state.

cannabis isn't only beneficial for a minority, it could be beneficial for a majority if people weren't brainwashed, like you, into thinking a cannabis is some sort of evil, murderous gateway drug.

it's completely ignorant.

---

also y'all can shut up and skipping posts because you skipped mine.

So if I want to carry a loaded AK-47 down the street, that's okay? :P We don't live in a society where people can just do whatever they please, otherwise there would be chaos...

As for being high, I can't claim I know anything about it...

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I would ban cigarettes if I could, don't worry :P But something about businesses collapsing, people losing jobs and the economy being destroyed or something like that :P

So if cannabis isn't dangerous, why is it illegal? And if it is legalised, does that mean kids can smoke it?

it's illegal because people can grow it at home, fairly easily, for free. takes money away from the big pharma companies who have a lot of influence on government.

and no, it wold be 18+, like cigarettes and alcohol.

that would be like saying "if gay marriage is right, then why was it illegal?"

MKR&*42
08-05-2013, 06:06 PM
And if it is legalised, does that mean kids can smoke it?

Gon' write this quickly.

I believe there should be an age cap if it was ever legalised and you could purchase cannabis from most locations. It's just that I believe you should be of a mature enough age to make the choice about whether take cannabis or not (just like with smoking or alcohol) - I do not support children smoking, taking drugs or consuming alcohol because they aren't fully aware of the implications at their age.

buttons
08-05-2013, 06:07 PM

a small minority of people? Uh no http://coed.com/2010/09/02/10-major-health-benefits-of-marijuana
omfg if it stops pms pain im going for it, can anyone confirm if this is true? It can help with migraines which you'd usually use paracetomal for and I'm pretty sure there are more deaths from aspirin and paracetomal than from cannabis..
also about the smell well i don't like people's perfume aftershave etc and those give me headaches and can be dangerous to oƻrselves and others but don't see that being banned Marketing; cannabis can reduce headaches...

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:08 PM
So if I want to carry a loaded AK-47 down the street, that's okay? :P We don't live in a society where people can just do whatever they please, otherwise there would be chaos...

As for being high, I can't claim I know anything about it...

that's a bit of a silly comparison.
smoking cannabis only affects the user, you can't harm someone else with cannabis... you can't draw comparisons with a gun.

being high isn't some giggly, hallucinogenic state like movies dictate.
you literally just relax and think more. a hell of a lot of people who are considered great minds are "stoners", hell, the beatles even said without weed there would have been no beatles.

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 06:08 PM
it's illegal because people can grow it at home, fairly easily, for free. takes money away from the big pharma companies who have a lot of influence on government.

If you are referring to this post; http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=776748&p=7897608#post7897608 then I didn't respond as you pretty much just stated that there are two sides to the argument - nothing as such as agree or disagree with :L

Surely pharma companies lose out from it being illegal, as they could sell more of it if it were legal?

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Gon' write this quickly.

I believe there should be an age cap if it was ever legalised and you could purchase cannabis from most locations. It's just that I believe you should be of a mature enough age to make the choice about whether take cannabis or not (just like with smoking or alcohol) - I do not support children smoking, taking drugs or consuming alcohol because they aren't fully aware of the implications at their age.

So there are implications? Obviously if it ever did get legalised, the age cap should probably be at 18. I just don't like people saying that smoking cannabis does no harm whatsoever... If that was the case, let kids smoke it, surely? :P

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
a small minority of people? Uh no http://coed.com/2010/09/02/10-major-health-benefits-of-marijuana
omfg if it stops pms pain im going for it, can anyone confirm if this is true? It can help with migraines which you'd usually use paracetomal for and I'm pretty sure there are more death son aspirin and paracetomal than from cann is..
also about the smell well i don't like people's perfume aftershave etc and those give me headaches and can be dangerous to oƻrselves and others but don't see that being banned

i can confirm it'll help with PMS and headaches, i get both and it completely alleviates the symptoms. cannabis is the only pain killer i use, heh.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:10 PM
that's a bit of a silly comparison.
smoking cannabis only affects the user, you can't harm someone else with cannabis... you can't draw comparisons with a gun.

being high isn't some giggly, hallucinogenic state like movies dictate.
you literally just relax and think more. a hell of a lot of people who are considered great minds are "stoners", hell, the beetles even said without weed there would have been no beetles.

So you are saying that inhaling passive cannabis smoke does no harm whatsoever?

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
If you are referring to this post; http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=776748&p=7897608#post7897608 then I didn't respond as you pretty much just stated that there are two sides to the argument - nothing as such as agree or disagree with :L

Surely pharma companies lose out from it being illegal, as they could sell more of it if it were legal?

pharma companies can't patent an organic material and they couldn't stop people growing it themselves / buying it from other peopel for cheaper.

also if it was legalized hemp would be too, which could revolutionize paper, plastics, clothing etc.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Kudos to the gay marriage point, very correct :P

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
So you are saying that inhaling passive cannabis smoke does no harm whatsoever?

i was speaking more about if it was regulated the way cigarettes are today, i.e no smoking in public buildings (i'd ban it from all busy public places, personally)

the amounts of carcinogens that would be exhaled would be minimal from cannabis smoke, so yeah, i'm not saying it's completely harmless, but a LOT less than cigarette smoke.

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 06:14 PM
omfg if it stops pms pain im going for it, can anyone confirm if this is true? It can help with migraines which you'd usually use paracetomal for and I'm pretty sure there are more deaths from aspirin and paracetomal than from cannabis..
also about the smell well i don't like people's perfume aftershave etc and those give me headaches and can be dangerous to oƻrselves and others but don't see that being banned @Marketing (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=36885); cannabis can reduce headaches...

Cannot believe coed is being used as a source - surely even worse than quoting the Daily Mail...

Also, it may be able to reduce headaches - but according to the NHS it can also cause them (and from experience of questions asked whilst at hospital appointments, this certainly seems to be the case). I know who I would listen to - NHS or COED lol.

---

But once again, I shall go back to Kardan's point. Shall we start selling morphine in shops too?

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:17 PM
i was speaking more about if it was regulated the way cigarettes are today, i.e no smoking in public buildings (i'd ban it from all busy public places, personally)

the amounts of carcinogens that would be exhaled would be minimal from cannabis smoke, so yeah, i'm not saying it's completely harmless, but a LOT less than cigarette smoke.

This is a debateable point as previously said, there's just as many studies, articles and reports on your point of view as there is on my point of view, that cannabis smoke is more damaging than cigarette smoke.

(Le example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7150274.stm)

So basically, neither of us can use that point, since scientists agree and disagree on it constantly, which probably means they're both just as bad as each other if anything.

Thing is, it probably would be banned from public places (but alas, what do you defy as a public place, smoking is currently banned from public places, but it's okay to smoke on the streets), but with the amount of people I smell smoking it on the streets anyway, when it's illegal, surely this number will only rise when people can get hold of it, legally?

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Cannot believe coed is being used as a source - surely even worse than quoting the Daily Mail...

Also, it may be able to reduce headaches - but according to the NHS it can also cause them (and from experience of questions asked whilst at hospital appointments, this certainly seems to be the case). I know who I would listen to - NHS or COED lol.

---

But once again, I shall go back to Kardan's point. Shall we start selling morphine in shops too?

the NHS doesn't have any controlled research on cannabis as you're not allowed to do it in the UK, so i wouldn't trust their source.
they can only go by what people have said, and as cannabis is illegal it's often sold by shady people who cut it with other things to push the weight up, the headaches could have been caused by that.

i personally haven't had a headache in months and i smoke about 2 ounces of cannabis a month.

as for the morphine point, again, you can't compare the two.
morphine is a concentrated extraction from the opiate poppy, weed is the WHOLE plant, the psychoactive component, THC, is only a fraction of the cannabinoids in marijuana.

you can grow AS MANY opiate poppies as you like in the UK, as soon as you germinate a seed of cannabis, you risk prison time.

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 06:23 PM
the NHS doesn't have any controlled research on cannabis as you're not allowed to do it in the UK, so i wouldn't trust their source.
they can only go by what people have said, and as cannabis is illegal it's often sold by shady people who cut it with other things to push the weight up, the headaches could have been caused by that.

i personally haven't had a headache in months and i smoke about 2 ounces of cannabis a month.

as for the morphine point, again, you can't compare the two.
morphine is a concentrated extraction from the opiate poppy, weed is the WHOLE plant, the psychoactive component, THC, is only a fraction of the cannabinoids in marijuana.

you can grow AS MANY opiate poppies as you like, as soon as you germinate a seed of cannabis, you risk prison time.

You can compare the two...

If you are talking about medical substances that stop certain things, then they can be compared. It is ridiculous to suggest that you can't - just seems to be a way to get out of a very fair point.

How the two are made doesn't matter - they are both used for medical reasons, but neither should really be consumed otherwise.

Special
08-05-2013, 06:23 PM

good question, personally i believe it's because anyone can grow it and it would cost the government a lot of money to monitor people growing it themselfs for cheaper, if it were to be legalized i'm sure they'd write up laws to consider minors

And yet again you still haven't replied to an extremely good point by Kardan here; http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=776748&p=7897700#post7897700

yet again? it's the only one i've missed and it's because i was replying elsewhere mr. hypocrite

and no, we shouldn't give out morphine freely, it's much stronger than cannabis and is used for totally different illness

cannabis uses: Examples of what medical marijuana is used for include AIDS, cancer, ADHD, multiple sclerosis, nausea resulting from chemotherapy, Crohn's disease, glaucoma, epilepsy, insomnia, migraines, arthritis and lack of appetite

morphone uses: Besides relieving pain, it impairs mental and physical performance, relieves fear and anxiety, and produces euphoria. It also decreases hunger, inhibits the cough reflex, produces constipation, and usually reduces the sex drive; in women it may interfere with the menstrual cycle.

see http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/science/morphine-effects-uses.html

Also you can quote the illnesses as frequently as you like. Now what percentage of the global population suffer from one of those illnesses? I bet the vast majority don't suffer from them. And before you try it, Cannabis SUPPOSEDLY helps brain cancer - before you try and tell me it helps every cancer sufferer. Also, as a migraine sufferer I can tell you that smoke can actually cause migraines too...

it's irrelevant what the exact percentage is, it's general knowledge that most of the illness treated by cannabis are common, or didn't you know that?

ohhh so now you've changed your mind to that it helps cancer and not causes it? lol!

are you kidding me? it's the THC in cannabis that cures migraines not the smoke, you're mistaking cannabis smoke for other types of smoke (indicate which?)

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:26 PM
You can compare the two...

If you are talking about medical substances that stop certain things, then they can be compared. It is ridiculous to suggest that you can't - just seems to be a way to get out of a very fair point.

How the two are made doesn't matter - they are both used for medical reasons, but neither should really be consumed otherwise.

sorry but you're impossible lol. read my post again.

MORPHINE IS A CONCENTRATED SUBSTANCE, WEED IS THE WHOLE PLANT

OPIATE POPPY = / = WEED
LEGAL TO GROW - ILLEGAL TO GROW

there you go. :)

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 07:28 PM ----------

gunna need a joint if marketing replies to another one of my posts with something i've already explained lmao

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 07:30 PM ----------

This is a debateable point as previously said, there's just as many studies, articles and reports on your point of view as there is on my point of view, that cannabis smoke is more damaging than cigarette smoke.

(Le example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7150274.stm)

So basically, neither of us can use that point, since scientists agree and disagree on it constantly, which probably means they're both just as bad as each other if anything.

Thing is, it probably would be banned from public places (but alas, what do you defy as a public place, smoking is currently banned from public places, but it's okay to smoke on the streets), but with the amount of people I smell smoking it on the streets anyway, when it's illegal, surely this number will only rise when people can get hold of it, legally?

i know what you mean, the point is with it being illegal it can't be properly studied >___>

i don't think it'd rise, really. if people want it, it's fairly easy to get hold of.

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 06:31 PM
good question, personally i believe it's because anyone can grow it and it would cost the government a lot of money to monitor people growing it themselfs for cheaper, if it were to be legalized i'm sure they'd write up laws to consider minors

it's irrelevant what the exact percentage is, it's general knowledge that most of the illness treated by cannabis are common, or didn't you know that?

ohhh so now you've changed your mind to that it helps cancer and not causes it? lol!

are you kidding me? it's the THC in cannabis that cures migraines not the smoke, you're mistaking cannabis smoke for other types of smoke (indicate which?)

And no, once again an excellent twisting of my words. "Cannabis SUPPOSEDLY helps brain cancer - before you try and tell me it helps every cancer sufferer."

I think even a coke taking fool can work out that supposedly means that it may/may not, and that I also evidently deny any belief in it helping cancer sufferers.

Absolutely idiotic, there are so many types of cancer it is untrue - would you go into a Teenage Cancer Trust ward and tell everyone there that they will beat cancer if they start smoking weed? Really?

And it may well be the THC, but SMOKE can cause migraines - so we are going to combat the migraines in one way, then cause them in another. Fantastic.

sorry but you're impossible lol. read my post again.

MORPHINE IS A CONCENTRATED SUBSTANCE, WEED IS THE WHOLE PLANT

OPIATE POPPY = / = WEED
LEGAL TO GROW ILLIGAL TO GROW

there you go. :)

But they are both used in medical practices, and have no other need to be used.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:32 PM
On the subject of curing/causing cancer, doesn't everything cause/help prevent cancer? There's so many variables in life, that you could find an article for/against anything really.

For example:
Tomatos cause cancer: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/15542/are-tomatoes-associated-with-increased-risk-of-cancer
Tomatos cures cancer: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9051215/Cancer-slowed-by-cooked-tomatoes.html

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
also, i wouldn't source BBC articles, they're extremely biased considering they're the main UK news broadcaster. they wouldn't be shouting about the great benefits of something that is illegal.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 07:34 PM ----------

On the subject of curing/causing cancer, doesn't everything cause/help prevent cancer? There's so many variables in life, that you could find an article for/against anything really.

For example:
Tomatos cause cancer: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/15542/are-tomatoes-associated-with-increased-risk-of-cancer
Tomatos cures cancer: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9051215/Cancer-slowed-by-cooked-tomatoes.html

agree with this for the most part, but there's a hell of a lot in it with cannabis...

http://www.alternet.org/story/9257/pot_shrinks_tumors%3B_government_knew_in_'74

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:37 PM
i know what you mean, the point is with it being illegal it can't be properly studied >___>

i don't think it'd rise, really. if people want it, it's fairly easy to get hold of.

This part of the debate reminds me about the gun debate a few months back...

I don't mind people have a gun in their own home if they want to protect their land, just like I don't mind if people want to smoke cannabis in the privacy of their own homes. But what worries me is if you legalise these things, people will get hold of these things, and surely there will be more people that do things outside of their own homes?

Then again, maybe if it was legalised, the police would be more aware of people smoking cannabis on the streets...

velvet
08-05-2013, 06:38 PM
smacks head on desk lol

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 07:39 PM ----------

This part of the debate reminds me about the gun debate a few months back...

I don't mind people have a gun in their own home if they want to protect their land, just like I don't mind if people want to smoke cannabis in the privacy of their own homes. But what worries me is if you legalise these things, people will get hold of these things, and surely there will be more people that do things outside of their own homes?

Then again, maybe if it was legalised, the police would be more aware of people smoking cannabis on the streets...

i think that'd have to be something to be ironed out.
personally, i'd make it so people can only smoke it on private properties or in their own cars.

Special
08-05-2013, 06:45 PM
And no, once again an excellent twisting of my words. "Cannabis SUPPOSEDLY helps brain cancer - before you try and tell me it helps every cancer sufferer."

I think even a coke taking fool can work out that supposedly means that it may/may not, and that I also evidently deny any belief in it helping cancer sufferers.

Absolutely idiotic, there are so many types of cancer it is untrue - would you go into a Teenage Cancer Trust ward and tell everyone there that they will beat cancer if they start smoking weed? Really?

And it may well be the THC, but SMOKE can cause migraines - so we are going to combat the migraines in one way, then cause them in another. Fantastic.

can't believe i'm still replying to a media brainwash victim, 3 hours ago you thought that smoking cannabis could result in death lol, glad i've taught you something

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 06:51 PM
can't believe i'm still replying to a media brainwash victim, 3 hours ago you thought that smoking cannabis could result in death lol, glad i've taught you something

Sorry but you haven't.

You simply twisted what I was saying, and then went on to ignore my reasoning behind the comment. Technically smoking cigarettes has never killed anyone either.

To be honest, the fact is fairly obvious here. Anyone who smokes cannabis (like yourself) is evidently going to say it should be legalised.

velvet
08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
*+*+*marketing, killing debates with crap points 2k13*+*+*

Edited by Bolt660 (Acting Forum Super Moderator) Please don't post pointlessly/please follow the debates forum rules!

Ardemax
08-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Why doesn't this forum get sarcasm

Edited by Bolt660 (Acting Forum Super Moderator) Please don't post pointlessly/please follow the debates forum rules!

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 07:13 PM
*+*+*marketing, killing debates with crap points 2k13*+*+*

I would have thought staying on topic does more for debates than simply deciding to no longer reply.

Is it not a totally valid point, that if you smoke cannabis you will obviously vote for it to be legalised...

MKR&*42
08-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Those who don't smoke it may also campaign for it to be legalised? I'm confused what you're saying about "smoke it = you want it legalised".

I only believe it should be legalised (alongside other drugs) because I don't think the government should restrict what you consume yourself. It's your body, if you're going to harm it by taking drugs then no-one has the right to ban you from doing so. You may find it distasteful, a stupid decision etc. but it is an individual's free choice and the only person it would directly affect is themselves. Once you start controlling drugs or other items (like alcohol in the US in the 19...20s?) you remove free choice which isn't "fair".

Oh and yes Kardan I agree it's a bit stupid to say there are no health risks associated with smoking cannabis. There's bound to be one at least.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Those who don't smoke it may also campaign for it to be legalised? I'm confused what you're saying about "smoke it = you want it legalised".

I only believe it should be legalised (alongside other drugs) because I don't think the government should restrict what you consume yourself. It's your body, if you're going to harm it by taking drugs then no-one has the right to ban you from doing so. You may find it distasteful, a stupid decision etc. but it is an individual's free choice and the only person it would directly affect is themselves. Once you start controlling drugs or other items (like alcohol in the US in the 19...20s?) you remove free choice which isn't "fair".

Oh and yes Kardan I agree it's a bit stupid to say there are no health risks associated with smoking cannabis. There's bound to be one at least.

I agree with "Smoke it = Legalise it", since obviously the people who do smoke it are breaking the law, and unless they don't mind getting in trouble, then they would want to legalise it. People that don't want to smoke it and want it legalised is a different point, and I'm sure there are people out there that fall under that :)

I'd still like someone to tell me why kids wouldn't be allowed to smoke it if there are no ill effects...

MKR&*42
08-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I agree with "Smoke it = Legalise it", since obviously the people who do smoke it are breaking the law, and unless they don't mind getting in trouble, then they would want to legalise it. People that don't want to smoke it and want it legalised is a different point, and I'm sure there are people out there that fall under that :)

I'd still like someone to tell me why kids wouldn't be allowed to smoke it if there are no ill effects...

Who has said that because I don't agree with that xD. I agree there are health risks and that you should have a decent level of maturity to decide if you'd like to take it.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Who has said that because I don't agree with that xD. I agree there are health risks and that you should have a decent level of maturity to decide if you'd like to take it.

People have said that there are no health issues, and it essentially just makes you calm... So if that's the case, surely they would be okay with giving cannabis to children? For example to calm kids down when they're on a multiple-hour flight to the other side of the world...

Personally I think that's wrong, as I think there are health issues...

MKR&*42
08-05-2013, 07:41 PM
People have said that there are no health issues, and it essentially just makes you calm... So if that's the case, surely they would be okay with giving cannabis to children? For example to calm kids down when they're on a multiple-hour flight to the other side of the world...

Oh well then I believe that's utterly wrong, no-one can try and make cannabis seem like a saint. With any drug you take there are bound to be some issues otherwise it never would have been banned in the first place. If there are studies that say it's fine and others which say it's horrific, it's best to adopt the middle ground and just assume it's ok but not all good. 'Cause yes, if it did have no health issues then it wouldn't make sense to ban it for children.

I would like an explanation for that as well :P

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Oh well then I believe that's utterly wrong, no-one can try and make cannabis seem like a saint. With any drug you take there are bound to be some issues otherwise it never would have been banned in the first place. If there are studies that say it's fine and others which say it's horrific, it's best to adopt the middle ground and just assume it's ok but not all good. 'Cause yes, if it did have no health issues then it wouldn't make sense to ban it for children.

Special and velvet are the ones who can answer that for you, if they reply.

velvet
08-05-2013, 08:13 PM

of course there are health implications with smoking anything, but i'm not just talking about smoking cannabis, i'm talking about the other ways it can be taken, such as a vaporizer or via edibles.

the whole "if it was so gr8 why iz it band" argument isn't really valid, i've already posted why. read my posts in this thread if you want your questions answered, because i've already covered why it's illegal and such. :}

*catches up on thread*...

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

i don't agree with giving cannabis to kids, just because it has a calming effect doesn't mean that it should be used to sedate rowdy children.
i think, generally, that these days EVERYTHING is over-medicated, we take a pill or remedy for virtually everything. children are meant to be boisterous.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 09:17 PM ----------

also the whole "ONLY PEOPLE WHO SMOKE IT WANT IT LEGAL" argument is crap.

"Over half of people in Britain want cannabis legalised or its possession decriminalised, according to the results of a poll.According to an Ipsos Mori survey, 53 percent of Britons say they want the drug downgraded and 67 percent say they want a comprehensive overview of the country's approach to drugs.
The survey, published by the Transform Drug Policy Foundation, also found support for cannabis legalisation was high among Conservative voters.
It showed that 50 percent of Conservatives and 55 percent of Labour voters say cannabis should be legally regulated or decriminalised.
The survey found that many tabloid readers also support the findings - 46 perent of Daily Mail readers want the drug made legal.
Just 14 percent of the public and 17 percent of Daily Mail readers support tougher enforcement and heavier penalties for cannabis offences."

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 09:18 PM ----------

there you go, everything covered.

FlyingJesus
08-05-2013, 11:10 PM

It doesn't mean that :P considering the inherent dangers of being under the influence at work or while operating machinery it would have to be banned from all public areas including the streets, as despite the potential for getting high off a few fumes as someone walks being small it would still be a worry. All smoking ought to be confined to private areas really in my view but yeah... also I imagine being publicly intoxicated would be legally and societally treated the same way as it currently is with alcohol

pharma companies can't patent an organic material and they couldn't stop people growing it themselves / buying it from other peopel for cheaper.

also if it was legalized hemp would be too, which could revolutionize paper, plastics, clothing etc.

This is pretty much the reply I was going to give when I saw that post lol, also important to note that Big Pharma don't want real cures for cancer as it would cost them far too much, and especially if those treatments could be grown easily at home. Brought up the plastics industry earlier but no-one seemed to want to talk about that cries

they are both used in medical practices, and have no other need to be used.

There are plenty of things that don't NEED to be used in the way they are. The internet and books are both used for research purposes, so anyone caught chatting online or reading books for pleasure should clearly be locked away

Is it not a totally valid point, that if you smoke cannabis you will obviously vote for it to be legalised...

No since it's not a two-way correlation. If it were true that all cannabis smokers wanted it to be legalised AND all persons who want it legalised were cannabis smokers then you might be able to draw up some conclusions about demographics, but unfortunately for you there are people like myself who can see sense and yet don't fit into your make-believe bubble of protesting hippies with blunts hanging out of their mouths

AgnesIO
09-05-2013, 08:27 AM
It doesn't mean that :P considering the inherent dangers of being under the influence at work or while operating machinery it would have to be banned from all public areas including the streets, as despite the potential for getting high off a few fumes as someone walks being small it would still be a worry. All smoking ought to be confined to private areas really in my view but yeah... also I imagine being publicly intoxicated would be legally and societally treated the same way as it currently is with alcohol

This is pretty much the reply I was going to give when I saw that post lol, also important to note that Big Pharma don't want real cures for cancer as it would cost them far too much, and especially if those treatments could be grown easily at home. Brought up the plastics industry earlier but no-one seemed to want to talk about that cries

There are plenty of things that don't NEED to be used in the way they are. The internet and books are both used for research purposes, so anyone caught chatting online or reading books for pleasure should clearly be locked away

No since it's not a two-way correlation. If it were true that all cannabis smokers wanted it to be legalised AND all persons who want it legalised were cannabis smokers then you might be able to draw up some conclusions about demographics, but unfortunately for you there are people like myself who can see sense and yet don't fit into your make-believe bubble of protesting hippies with blunts hanging out of their mouths

I didn't mention what non-smokers would say. I am simply stating that every who smokes it will almost certainly want it legalised - if they don't they are pretty dumb.

Adam
09-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Not particularly, legalising would mean to the average smoker it would probably cost more.

I am a non smoker and want it legalised, by the way. However, I would like any health problems caused by this to be subsidised by the smokers themselves (same with alcohol/fatties etc).

velvet
09-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Not particularly, legalising would mean to the average smoker it would probably cost more.

I am a non smoker and want it legalised, by the way. However, I would like any health problems caused by this to be subsidised by the smokers themselves (same with alcohol/fatties etc).

lol, trust me. legal weed would be MUCH cheaper than the street values cannabis smokers pay at the moment. since it's not regulated, people get more and more greedy. the price had inflated by 200% in the last 3 years.

Adam
09-05-2013, 02:35 PM
lol, trust me. legal weed would be MUCH cheaper than the street values cannabis smokers pay at the moment. since it's not regulated, people get more and more greedy. the price had inflated by 200% in the last 3 years.
It's one that could go either way, I believe if it was made legal the tax would be astronomical.

velvet
09-05-2013, 02:37 PM
It's one that could go either way, I believe if it was made legal the tax would be astronomical.

even with crazy tax, the prices at the moment are absolutely absurd.
all you have to do is look at the models of other countries to see how prices would translate.

not to mention the fact that most "hardcore" smokers would grow their own any way.

edit: agree with your earlier point about self inflicted conditions, by the way.

AgnesIO
09-05-2013, 02:54 PM
even with crazy tax, the prices at the moment are absolutely absurd.
all you have to do is look at the models of other countries to see how prices would translate.

not to mention the fact that most "hardcore" smokers would grow their own any way.

edit: agree with your earlier point about self inflicted conditions, by the way.

Surely they would make growing your own illegal...

Adam
09-05-2013, 02:59 PM
As much as brewing your own alcohol is illegal, Marketing?

i.e it's not.

velvet
09-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Surely they would make growing your own illegal...

maybe, depends.

even so, it would be a LOT easier to grow your own if it were legal to consume.

Andeeh
09-05-2013, 03:05 PM
I havent read all of this but I used to smoke it everyday up until a few months ago and now I just do it on weekends as it was making me a lazy ****. I have been to Amsterdam and feel that we could take an approach like they have seperating the harder drugs and softer drugs and allowing people that smoke to go in to coffeshops and get clean and decent weed that isn't off a 15 year old wasteman therefore getting rid of the dealers whilst making money on taxing it for people. It's a waste of money the police are spending on treating drug crime as ultimately they are always losing. Weed can **** with your head no question about that but as long as it is in moderation then there is no problem in it at all, if you want a sure fire way of been able to smoke it risk free then use a vaporizer.

peteyt
13-05-2013, 05:57 PM
I haven't read all the posts. I'm not sure if I'm against for for weed but one of the reasons it can be currently dangerous is because unlike let's say alcohol which some claim is worse, weed isn't manufactured in the same type of environment with all the safety controls a big brewery would have. This means that something you bought from one person one time might be different quality wise to the last time. Sometimes cheap/dodgy dealers have even put glass in weed.

Legalising it might fix this there would be better quality laws brought into practise and we'd see a lot less weed dealers. However there's also problems if this happened. Dealers will probably find something else to deal, probably something harder and if we legalise one drugs people will then try and get others legalised which are much more dangerous.

Interestingly I read in a paper at work the other day someone was campaigning to get Amazon to remove legal drugs that people where using for legal highs. It mentioned the dangerous and how people had died from legal drugs but it seemed to focus too much on the sellers for me e.g. Amazon and the people selling via Amazon. At the end of the day its legal but people will know the dangerous. It seems people blame the tool these days rather than the person.

kasi
13-05-2013, 06:15 PM
this thread is full of so much bs. people know nothing lol

i used to smoke, haven't in a couple years. it should be legalized, which is slowly happening now in the us :) it poses no harm or threat to the people who choose to smoke or people who don't smoke, and it is not a 'gateway drug'.

Kardan
13-05-2013, 06:24 PM
this thread is full of so much bs. people know nothing lol

i used to smoke, haven't in a couple years. it should be legalized, which is slowly happening now in the us :) it poses no harm or threat to the people who choose to smoke or people who don't smoke, and it is not a 'gateway drug'.

If it poses no harm, should children be allowed to smoke it?

velvet
13-05-2013, 06:26 PM

.................................................. .................head on desk

Kardan
13-05-2013, 06:32 PM
.................................................. .................head on desk

Is it not a valid point? Cigarettes can cause harm, age restricted. Alcohol can cause harm, age restricted. Knives can cause harm, age restricted. Fireworks can cause harm, age restricted.

So, to all the people that say cannabis is harmless, surely there's no issue for kids having it?

Clearly, I'm against kids having it, it just annoys me when people say cannabis is 100% harmless :P

velvet
13-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Is it not a valid point? Cigarettes can cause harm, age restricted. Alcohol can cause harm, age restricted. Knives can cause harm, age restricted. Fireworks can cause harm, age restricted.

So, to all the people that say cannabis is harmless, surely there's no issue for kids having it?

Clearly, I'm against kids having it, it just annoys me when people say cannabis is 100% harmless :P

you asked if children should be able to SMOKE it, i've already said in this thread several times, that when you burn any plant material it releases carcinogens.

if you're posing the question about children consuming cannabis, then i've given my views. there's no possible reason that children would need / want to consume it... they're children.

Kardan
13-05-2013, 06:48 PM
you asked if children should be able to SMOKE it, i've already said in this thread several times, that when you burn any plant material it releases carcinogens.

if you're posing the question about children consuming cannabis, then i've given my views. there's no possible reason that children would need / want to consume it... they're children.

So we both agree that there is some harm then? :)

buttons
13-05-2013, 06:49 PM
when people say it's harmless im sure they're meaning you're not going to take it and end up killing someone on it or going on a rampage lol not saying that it's not going to harm your body. kids can smoke it if they want and im sure they do in other countries ie countries where it's perfectly legal for kids to smoke tobacco too. reason we wouldn't want kids smoking it here is because it's our integrated morals, just like kids not being allowed to smoke cigarettes and alcohol, and anyone who would suggest they were to be allowed in this country would be called immoral.

Kardan
13-05-2013, 06:51 PM
when people say it's harmless im sure they're meaning you're not going to take it and end up killing someone on it or going on a rampage lol not saying that it's not going to harm your body. kids can smoke it if they want and im sure they do in other countries ie countries where it's perfectly legal for kids to smoke tobacco too. reason we wouldn't want kids smoking it here is because it's our integrated morals, just like kids not being allowed to smoke cigarettes and alcohol, and anyone who would suggest they were to be allowed in this country would be called immoral.

I pretty much agree, just that people who say it's completely harmless should perhaps use different words then :P

velvet
13-05-2013, 06:52 PM
So we both agree that there is some harm then? :)

.... :S i never said it was 100% harm free when smoked.
when put into edibles i can safely say it is 100% harm free.

you're basing you argument on the assumption that i've said smoking weed doesn't harm you in any way, which i haven't. :S

Kardan
13-05-2013, 07:01 PM
.... :S i never said it was 100% harm free when smoked.
when put into edibles i can safely say it is 100% harm free.

you're basing you argument on the assumption that i've said smoking weed doesn't harm you in any way, which i haven't. :S

You didn't say that, someone else did and I was questioning them saying it was completely harm free :P

velvet
13-05-2013, 07:04 PM
You didn't say that, someone else did and I was questioning them saying it was completely harm free :P

alcohol in moderation is harm free, it doesn't mean kids should have a glass of wine every week.

Kardan
13-05-2013, 07:09 PM
alcohol in moderation is harm free, it doesn't mean kids should have a glass of wine every week.

I'm not saying if it was harm free, kids should have cannabis, I'm saying if it was harm free, could kids have cannabis? And I'm pretty sure there's no age limit on actually drinking alcohol in your own home if you're under parental supervision... Plus I'm sure any amount of alcohol does some harm, just not enough for the body to suffer any damage :)

My part of this debate isn't really so much on legalising it, it's just me being astounded that people are saying that cannabis is absolutely harmless. To be fair, there's not that many things at all that could be considered absolutely harmless :P

velvet
13-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm not saying if it was harm free, kids should have cannabis, I'm saying if it was harm free, could kids have cannabis? And I'm pretty sure there's no age limit on actually drinking alcohol in your own home if you're under parental supervision... Plus I'm sure any amount of alcohol does some harm, just not enough for the body to suffer any damage :)

My part of this debate isn't really so much on legalising it, it's just me being astounded that people are saying that cannabis is absolutely harmless. To be fair, there's not that many things at all that could be considered absolutely harmless :P

cannabis is completely harmless, it's just smoking that isn't.

Explorator
13-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Personally, i don't think it's ok. People say it doesn't harm you, it will boost the economy, ect. But if it's illegal, it's most likely illegal for a reason. If that reason wasn't good enough, the government would have terminated the law on cannabis and it would be legal. Some countries choose to legalize it, and some don't. On the other hand, you can see the effects of it in The Netherlands because i think it's completely legal there.

velvet
13-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Personally, i don't think it's ok. People say it doesn't harm you, it will boost the economy, ect. But if it's illegal, it's most likely illegal for a reason. If that reason wasn't good enough, the government would have terminated the law on cannabis and it would be legal. Some countries choose to legalize it, and some don't. On the other hand, you can see the effects of it in The Netherlands because i think it's completely legal there.

gay marriage was illegal until recently, does that mean that it's wrong? the government isn't always right.

AgnesIO
13-05-2013, 07:24 PM
gay marriage was illegal until recently, does that mean that it's wrong? the government isn't always right.

That was a religious thing though, different case imo

MKR&*42
13-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Still not effectively legal till it completes another voting stage :P

and yes just because the government says something is wrong, does not mean it is. If they made a law saying that going to work on a tuesday is immoral, would you change your values to believe that? :S

AgnesIO
13-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Still not effectively legal till it completes another voting stage :P

and yes just because the government says something is wrong, does not mean it is. If they made a law saying that going to work on a tuesday is immoral, would you change your values to believe that? :S

Of course I would! I would be having a party, no work on Tuesday! That would be a result, and I would personally kiss Clegg and Cameron.

(I get your point, just not the best example :L)

velvet
13-05-2013, 07:29 PM
That was a religious thing though, different case imo

okay then, alcohol was only made legal in the US in 1933. (though i'm not a believer of the merits of alcohol)

my point still stands that just because the government is against something, doesn't mean it's evil. the government is corrupt as hell and the big pharma companies have a fair amount of control over them, which is why, in my opinion, it won't be legal for a long time.
big pharma can't patent a natural substance = massive downturn of profits

AgnesIO
13-05-2013, 07:30 PM
okay then, alcohol was only made legal in the US in 1933. (though i'm not a believer of the merits of alcohol)

my point still stands that just because the government is against something, doesn't mean it's evil. the government is corrupt as hell and the big pharma companies have a fair amount of control over them, which is why, in my opinion, it won't be legal for a long time.
big pharma can't patent a natural substance.

Big pharma can't patent anything they don't create!

Totally see your argument against the big pharmaceuticals though - we all know what an unethical bunch of *******s they are.

velvet
13-05-2013, 07:30 PM
y'all should try and open your minds a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle be for me. i'm an intelligent and well-informed lady. :p

Adam
13-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Do you believe that smoking cannabis can lead to users progressing onto harder drugs? I ask this as friends of mine have certainly taken the same route cigarettes>cannabis>mkat>coke. I was wondering if that's a popular thing to sort of 'up the level' of drugs once you tried one?

Not having a go, just curious.

velvet
13-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Do you believe that smoking cannabis can lead to users progressing onto harder drugs? I ask this as friends of mine have certainly taken the same route cigarettes>cannabis>mkat>coke. I was wondering if that's a popular thing to sort of 'up the level' of drugs once you tried one?

i wrote no, but then thought about it a bit and i think this is the reason:

if people start smoking weed, they have to go to a dealer. there is hardly any money in weed since you can't cut it with other stuff and such, so most dealers also sell other drugs. by buying weed, people then have easy access to harder drugs (dealers will often text their phonebook with what they have coming in).

so the problem isn't cannabis as such, it's the access cannabis gives to dealers.

i think people who take harder drugs will have always have taken them, whether they smoked weed or not.
i know personally that my choice to try harder drugs in the past was not influenced by the fact that i'd tried weed at all, as weed isn't really comparable to other substances.

Explorator
13-05-2013, 07:49 PM

The government isn't always wrong either. Hemp is very easy to cultivate and grow. Illegal growers and dealers can make a lot of money off a little bit of Marijuana. It would put a lot of businesses out of business. The reason why it's illegal doesn't have anything to do with the effects on the body, ect. All the laws in the US, UK, ect are there to mainly protect businesses. It would take billions of dollars off corporations.

velvet
13-05-2013, 07:51 PM
The government isn't always wrong either. Hemp is very easy to cultivate and grow. Illegal growers and dealers can make a lot of money off a little bit of Marijuana. It would put a lot of businesses out of business. The reason why it's illegal doesn't have anything to do with the effects on the body, ect. All the laws in the US, UK, ect are there to mainly protect businesses. It would take billions of dollars off corporations.

....... i know, that's the point i've been making allllllllllllllllllllllll thread lol :<

but, not for the reason you're saying.
one, there's no money in hemp, hemp and cannabis are different.
two, it's because of the big pharma businesses, not the illegal growers, there's very little money in weed, trust me, i should know.

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 08:55 PM ----------

forever replying to every point in this thread lol

Explorator
13-05-2013, 07:58 PM
....... i know, that's the point i've been making allllllllllllllllllllllll thread lol :<

but, not for the reason you're saying.
one, there's no money in hemp, hemp and cannabis are different.
two, it's because of the big pharma businesses, not the illegal growers, there's very little money in weed, trust me, i should know.

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 08:55 PM ----------

forever replying to every point in this thread lol

I understand where you are coming from. They are the same plant but are cultivated in different ways. If the legalization of cannabis happens, hemp would have to be legalized as a whole. It's like saying 'I am going to legalize Bulldogs in the US but not Labradors'. That is the reason why.

velvet
13-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I understand where you are coming from. They are the same plant but are cultivated in different ways. If the legalization of cannabis happens, hemp would have to be legalized as a whole. It's like saying 'I am going to legalize Bulldogs in the US but not Labradors'. That is the reason why.

i spoke a fair bit about the hemp industry already, but i can't be bothered to search through and find my post, heh.
they aren't the same plant, they're fairly different plants. they're simply in the same family, like a wolf to a chihuahua.
you can't get high off of hemp, it would be pointless for the average joe to grow it. "cannabis" is much harder to cultivate.
hemp would benefit the plastic, clothing and many other industries, but not the drug industry.

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 09:04 PM ----------

using cannabis to refer to the plants with psychoactive buds, by the way. it's just easier for the average reader :p

Explorator
13-05-2013, 08:05 PM
i spoke a fair bit about the hemp industry already, but i can't be bothered to search through and find my post, heh.
they aren't the same plant, they're very different plants. they're simply in the same family.
you can't get high off of hemp, it would be pointless for the average joe to grow it. "cannabis" is much harder to cultivate.
hemp would benefit the plastic, clothing and many other industries, but not the drug industry.

In fairness, the reason why weed isn't legal is because of mostly hemp. That's about as much as i can say about this topic now.

peteyt
13-05-2013, 08:05 PM

While a little different to your question reading it reminded me of an ex.

She wouldn't take paracetamol or anything legal because it was legal which I found stupid. I know a lot of people who simply took drugs as a form of rebellion and so I wonder how many people would smoke it if it where legalised. Would more people rebel by taking other forms of possibly more dangerous drugs?

velvet
13-05-2013, 08:08 PM
In fairness, the reason why weed isn't legal is because of mostly hemp. That's about as much as i can say about this topic now.

read my edit. :)
i think hemp contributes to the illegal status, but pharma companies are by FAR the main factor.

kasi
13-05-2013, 08:12 PM

sigh. lol
no children should not be allowed to smoke it. it should sold like alcohol and cigarettes, which are both way more harmful than marijuana. just because i say it should be legal doesn't mean anyone should be able to get their hands on it.

there are obviously going to be problems with inhaling smoke. cannabis is 100% harmless if vaporized. there have been absolutely 0 cannabis related deaths to this day. please know your **** before commenting pls ty

Kardan
13-05-2013, 08:14 PM
sigh. lol
no children should not be allowed to smoke it. it should sold like alcohol and cigarettes, which are both way more harmful than marijuana. just because i say it should be legal doesn't mean anyone should be able to get their hands on it.

there are obviously going to be problems with inhaling smoke. cannabis is 100% harmless if vaporized. there have been absolutely 0 cannabis related deaths to this day. please know your **** before commenting pls ty

So it's not 100% completely harmless :)

velvet
13-05-2013, 08:17 PM

yes it is lol.
it can be smoked, vaporized or made into edibles... two of those methods are harmless... if it were legalized those methods would be FAR more widely used, too. take america for example. this is such a circular argument.

Kardan
13-05-2013, 08:19 PM
yes it is lol.
it can be smoked, vaporized or made into edibles... two of those methods are harmless... if it were legalized those methods would be FAR more widely used, too. take america for example. this is such a circular argument.

2/3 isn't 100% :P It's like saying, Guns can be used to hunt animals, take part in sports, and murder human beings... two of those methods are harmless... :P

I'm not saying that it always causes harm, I wouldn't know, but you guys yourself are saying it can cause harm, therefore it isn't 100% harmless :P

peteyt
13-05-2013, 08:21 PM

There are apparent deaths that have apparently been linked to cannabis. Like alcohol it can lead you to do things you wouldn't normally do.

velvet
13-05-2013, 08:24 PM
2/3 isn't 100% :P It's like saying, Guns can be used to hunt animals, take part in sports, and murder human beings... two of those methods are harmless... :P

I'm not saying that it always causes harm, I wouldn't know, but you guys yourself are saying it can cause harm, therefore it isn't 100% harmless :P

my point mainly is more about the fact that it's not cannabis, as such, causing the harm, it's the reaction of setting it on fire. if you set anything on fire it'll release carcinogens, that's no hidden secret.

... but smoking is the "easiest" method so it's what most, uninformed people would do.

i can see that point from both sides which is making my head hurt, heh.
i think legalization and education on the other ways to consume it is the key.

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 09:24 PM ----------

There are apparent deaths that have apparently been linked to cannabis. Like alcohol it can lead you to do things you wouldn't normally do.

no it can't lol, it isn't a mind altering substance, it's more of a relaxant.

FlyingJesus
13-05-2013, 08:53 PM
read my edit. :)
i think hemp contributes to the illegal status, but pharma companies are by FAR the main factor.

Not totally certain about that - the link to hemp (although not being the exact same thing) always for a ban on the cultivation of that despite as you say not having the same properties, and considering the fact that plastics and fuel industries are all run by the oil market (easily the biggest market on earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_by_revenue)) I'd say that their fears over proven cheap/easy/safe production of a challenger are a much bigger obstacle for cannabis legalisation than big pharma's worry that they can't control something that might help with a few illnesses but wouldn't collapse them

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 09:54 PM ----------

And Aiden, anything CAN cause harm that's not a great argument lol

kasi
13-05-2013, 09:27 PM

it is completely harmless if you make the drug an edible or vaporize it. if you are choosing to inhale smoke, then that is your choice. you are choosing a harmful method of consumption. anything that turns into smoke is carcinogenic, it is not a harmful factor exclusive to marijuana. you are actually so uneducated on this topic, i'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise. please go read up a bit on the subject then we can debate

velvet
13-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Not totally certain about that - the link to hemp (although not being the exact same thing) always for a ban on the cultivation of that despite as you say not having the same properties, and considering the fact that plastics and fuel industries are all run by the oil market (easily the biggest market on earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_by_revenue)) I'd say that their fears over proven cheap/easy/safe production of a challenger are a much bigger obstacle for cannabis legalisation than big pharma's worry that they can't control something that might help with a few illnesses but wouldn't collapse them

to be fair i don't know much about those things in the UK, i've only looked at hemp legalization worldwide.
know what i'm gunna research tomorrow, haha

Kardan
13-05-2013, 11:32 PM
it is completely harmless if you make the drug an edible or vaporize it. if you are choosing to inhale smoke, then that is your choice. you are choosing a harmful method of consumption. anything that turns into smoke is carcinogenic, it is not a harmful factor exclusive to marijuana. you are actually so uneducated on this topic, i'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise. please go read up a bit on the subject then we can debate

Guns are completely harmless if you don't shoot them.
Cars are completely harmless as long as you don't get hit by one/crash one.

You're missing my point, it is not completely harmless. I'm not saying it's exclusive to cannabis :P

Adam
14-05-2013, 11:43 AM
i wrote no, but then thought about it a bit and i think this is the reason:

if people start smoking weed, they have to go to a dealer. there is hardly any money in weed since you can't cut it with other stuff and such, so most dealers also sell other drugs. by buying weed, people then have easy access to harder drugs (dealers will often text their phonebook with what they have coming in).

so the problem isn't cannabis as such, it's the access cannabis gives to dealers.

i think people who take harder drugs will have always have taken them, whether they smoked weed or not.
i know personally that my choice to try harder drugs in the past was not influenced by the fact that i'd tried weed at all, as weed isn't really comparable to other substances.
So for any reason be it ease of access to harder drugs it's pretty much the same road that most drug users go down? The reason I say this is with cigarettes and alcohol being legalised and taxed, so you don't need to go to a dealer who has access to harder drugs, surely a logical step would be making the pretty much harmless cannabis legal. I don't smoke, never have never will but I don't look down on those who do. When people say cannabis is less harmful than alcohol I tend to agree.

Surely if making cannabis legal it will partly shut off the road to the harder drugs? I'm just spitballing, tell me if I'm taking ****.

velvet
14-05-2013, 12:19 PM
So for any reason be it ease of access to harder drugs it's pretty much the same road that most drug users go down? The reason I say this is with cigarettes and alcohol being legalised and taxed, so you don't need to go to a dealer who has access to harder drugs, surely a logical step would be making the pretty much harmless cannabis legal. I don't smoke, never have never will but I don't look down on those who do. When people say cannabis is less harmful than alcohol I tend to agree.

Surely if making cannabis legal it will partly shut off the road to the harder drugs? I'm just spitballing, tell me if I'm taking ****.

completely right :}

AgnesIO
14-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Legalise it but ban the smoking of it then?

Adam
14-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Legalise it but ban the smoking of it then?

I haven't really been following the thread in detail but what would this achieve?

peteyt
14-05-2013, 02:26 PM

I fear legalising one drug might just make some people move onto the next drug. Lots of people seem to take loads of different stuff, meow, M Cat etc. I know a few who take these as a form of rebellion. The problem is we can't legalise all drugs as while it's debatable how dangerous Cannabis actually is there are many hard drugs that are hard illegal drugs that are illegal for a reason.

I do think legalising could work but there will always be a problem sadly.

Camy
14-05-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm my opinion, it should be legal and taxed. It's less harmful than alcohol, and cigarettes.

I haven't really had time to read the whole thread, so I'm not going to list everything I know about it, incase it's already been talked about, but I looked into Cannabis alot before I even thought about trying it. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT-UIe7l3-Q) video was one of the first things I looked at and I really recommend it.

Adam
14-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I fear legalising one drug might just make some people move onto the next drug. Lots of people seem to take loads of different stuff, meow, M Cat etc. I know a few who take these as a form of rebellion. The problem is we can't legalise all drugs as while it's debatable how dangerous Cannabis actually is there are many hard drugs that are hard illegal drugs that are illegal for a reason.

I do think legalising could work but there will always be a problem sadly.
I think it's to do with people's perspective about certain drugs. As I said everyone who I've talked to about this are of the opinion that cannabis is less harmful than alcohol and therefore should be legal however harder drugs should be illegal because they are harmful and they can be full of anything (easier to cut harder drugs up with ****e). I don't claim to be the bearer of all knowledge but is it that people use cannabis BECAUSE it's a virtually harmless drugs and THEN go on to harder drugs because of the association that cannabis currently has?

peteyt
14-05-2013, 10:29 PM
I think it's to do with people's perspective about certain drugs. As I said everyone who I've talked to about this are of the opinion that cannabis is less harmful than alcohol and therefore should be legal however harder drugs should be illegal because they are harmful and they can be full of anything (easier to cut harder drugs up with ****e). I don't claim to be the bearer of all knowledge but is it that people use cannabis BECAUSE it's a virtually harmless drugs and THEN go on to harder drugs because of the association that cannabis currently has?

It depends really. Some people don't give a crap and would rather use the most dangerous. I just wonder if people who take it as a form of rebelling will possibly move onto something else.

-:Undertaker:-
15-05-2013, 06:52 AM
I am rather sick of seeing the arguments saying that cannabis is less harmful than alcohol or smoking - I have never heard of cases of people drinking alcohol or people smoking sending people mentally insane, but I have heard of cases whereby cannabis smoking has permanently damaged the mind. The ridiculous guff put across by organisations such as FRANK in schools is largely the cause of this strange belief, and leads onto the idea of 'harm reduction' which is also a myth. I would challenge people who argue that cannabis is a 'soft' or even 'harmless' drug to take the time to read Peter Hitchens on the subject, or watch in in action in the below video. Whether you agree with him or not over all, he certainly debunks many commonly held beliefs such as the idea that the British government has fought a 'war on drugs' when it has done the complete opposite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSaCafF3gUg

In the legal sphere, however dangerous and stupid cannabis is, I would legalise it given the circumstances were right (we would have to have the NHS privatised and most welfare programmes shut down for this to happen) on the basis that you have the right to be as foolish and as stupid as you wish - provided you pay for your own mistakes and other individuals are not forced by the state to pay for your fix or the consquences of your fix.

Short of those changes, I would not legalise it and would indeed do the opposite as Peter Hitchens advocates.

samsaBEAR
15-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Legalise it, restrict smoking it to private properties, jobs a good'un. There's no reason why someone at the end of a busy day can't go home and smoke a bowl while relaxing, it's no different to having a few beers/.

Adam
15-05-2013, 11:31 AM
It depends really. Some people don't give a crap and would rather use the most dangerous. I just wonder if people who take it as a form of rebelling will possibly move onto something else.
Obviously and whatever is done wouldn't affect them in any way so why not concentrate on the people who do give a crap about the dangerous drugs? As far as I can see from personal experience of friends and from posts in this thread it's that illegally acquired cannabis is a stepping stone to more dangerous drugs which pose more problems to the users' health and society as a whole than cannabis does.

FlyingJesus
15-05-2013, 01:38 PM
I have never heard of cases of people drinking alcohol or people smoking sending people mentally insane

Maybe you should do a search on it then

=Sam
17-05-2013, 08:59 AM
It's good and bad. Depends whos smoking it.

AgnesIO
17-05-2013, 10:23 AM
It's good and bad. Depends whos smoking it.

I assume you are referring to medical reasons or not?

4Fraider
26-05-2013, 09:45 PM
If we have people stupid enough in the world to smoke cannabis, then let them smoke it and slowly kill themselves...

CrazyColaist
03-06-2013, 03:42 PM
yea. i got ibs and traumas, without it im ill cant eatn if i end up sleeping without weed i scream in my sleep :\

ibs is from other drugs (ill let your young minds imagine) going raves and clubbing so dont think all drugs are ok. but cannabis should be treated the same as alcohol & cigs. (even tho there bad aswell) but the other drugs coke ket mdma etc all man made, and its chemicals bonded together. so they should be illegal but relaxed (Except heroin and crack obviously) cannabis and tobacco is just a living object it has a life.

http://s22.postimg.org/45psgm6ep/IMG_20130329_00009.jpg

L.A confidential.
week 2.

Stephen
03-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I think people need to look at what illegality has caused and not just what legality would cause

Simple question.. would you rather have people smoking a natural plant that has years of study done on it

or would you rather people smoke synthetic cannabinoids made in a chinese lab to bypass the drug law with chemicals active below 1mg being sold online in grams to any kid with their mum's credit card

/debate

FlyingJesus
03-06-2013, 10:36 PM
The natural vs manmade argument I don't like because arsenic is natural and aluminium is manmade but I know which I'd rather line my baking tray with. That said I totally agree that banning certain compounds or chemical families only makes the situation worse - a pretty huge point here is mephedrone which had one reported death from someone who took it in a cocktail of other drugs (and therefore the death shouldn't be attributed to just the one chemical), and since its ban the "alternatives" and "new" versions of it have been catastrophically dangerous

Soy
04-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Thing is with weed, is i have no problem with the health benefits of it (to a certain extent) and understand it alot more than the average joe who has never smoked it properly in his life.

I will tell you that how you react with weed is heavily based on your personality. I've seen alot of peoples lives completely change from smoking pot, for the good and the better. I don't believe it is a drug for everyone.. I've witnessed lots of people get addicted to it (including me at one point) and saying that is not addictive nor habbit forming is ignorant, i believe this certain outcome of the drug is subjective and conceptual.

That being said, i think because of the shift in view of the contemporary teenager that in the future i can almost garauntee the decriminalisation of the drug in the country and many others (its practically legal now in the US).

Health benefits wise, i'm still able to compete at university level rugby and i occasionally smoke it (maybe once a week/ every other week). At the point when i was smoking every day i personally felt a lot less happier in general life, but alot of people can be happy smoking pot, im not denying that. As for me, it's not the life i choose to live: Feelings of no ambition, depression and anxiety all felt a bit harsher when being a weed addict.

Just my two cents, tried to be non biased.

Im actually high right now. :afro:

Stephen
04-06-2013, 03:01 PM
The natural vs manmade argument I don't like because arsenic is natural and aluminium is manmade but I know which I'd rather line my baking tray with. That said I totally agree that banning certain compounds or chemical families only makes the situation worse - a pretty huge point here is mephedrone which had one reported death from someone who took it in a cocktail of other drugs (and therefore the death shouldn't be attributed to just the one chemical), and since its ban the "alternatives" and "new" versions of it have been catastrophically dangerous

say whaaaa

and did you really just compare 2 completely unrelated elements to 2 chemicals which act on the same receptor :L you could have atleast said something like you'd rather have a glass window instead of a bag of sand

FlyingJesus
04-06-2013, 04:21 PM
The point was that natural products aren't necessarily better/safer than synthetics, not that arsenic and aluminium do the same job as obv they don't. Was more in response to Liam's post than yours where he said that all man-made chemicals should be banned

Soy
04-06-2013, 06:45 PM
If we want to get deep here, about weed being natural.. the body is supposed to inhale oxygen and exhale carbon monoxide, with that being said breathing in high amounts of tar, thc, carbon monoxide and other compounds is relatively un-natural.

CrazyColaist
05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
my point is its a living thing, it has its life and serves its purpose. There are carbon monoxide emissions in every car, so think twice when you complain about smoking giving off carbon, smoked or not its just as natural as coffee.

iMattster
01-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I've been told to try it nearly every day for the last couple of months, and didn't. It ruins people's lives.
If you wanna try it, go right ahead. I don't care.

Lewis
01-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Cannabis would be better legalized than many other things in the world... It can't even kill you, alcohol results in more deaths. It also isn't addictive (as far as I'm aware). If alcohol is legal, why not cannabis?

As far as I'm aware, the only effects are mental long-term effects if you take TOO MUCH.

I'm not saying it should be legal. But we have much more harmful things legalized, so why not marijuana? (THIS IS BASED OFF MY KNOWLEDGE, APOLOGIES IF WRONG.)

Catchy
01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Cannabis would be better legalized than many other things in the world... It can't even kill you, alcohol results in more deaths. It also isn't addictive (as far as I'm aware). If alcohol is legal, why not cannabis?

As far as I'm aware, the only effects are mental long-term effects if you take TOO MUCH.

I'm not saying it should be legal. But we have much more harmful things legalized, so why not marijuana? (THIS IS BASED OFF MY KNOWLEDGE, APOLOGIES IF WRONG.)

Well it's not physiologically addictive but there has been evidence to suggest that it's psychologically addictive, which I guess would make sense. Also I'm pretty sure most people mix their cannabis with tobacco otherwise it doesn't burn properly, so there's also nicotine addiction involved.

uniqueusername
01-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Would love to have this debate if the original post was worded half decently...

But personally I wouldn't smoke it, and I fail to see the need to legalise it (although anyone against any state intervention will obviously think otherwise.

Look at me! I'm DJ-Dominator and I think I'm better than everyone because I can spell properly!

Elitist.

AgnesIO
01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Look at me! I'm DJ-Dominator and I think I'm better than everyone because I can spell properly!

Elitist.

Oh, don't worry - I am elitist. I believe strongly in social classes, and consider myself above many people (and below others). This is something I shall stand by, whatever a cute troll like yourself says ;)

Calum0812
02-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Isn't it a prescribable drug?
Wouldn't do it and would look down on anyone who does do it.
If it was my mate, I'd try and get them off it.

Special
02-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Isn't it a prescribable drug?
Wouldn't do it and would look down on anyone who does do it.
If it was my mate, I'd try and get them off it.

you say this like it's some hardcore drug like heroin or something

you do realize no one has ever died after smoking cannabis

Calum0812
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
you say this like it's some hardcore drug like heroin or something

you do realize no one has ever died after smoking cannabis
I just don't see why anyone would want to smoke anything. Even normal tobacco.

Special
02-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I just don't see why anyone would want to smoke anything. Even normal tobacco.

personal preference

why should people not smoke anything just because you don't agree with it

i don't see why anyone would want to be a self confessed habbox addict but you still do it

Calum0812
02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
personal preference

why should people not smoke anything just because you don't agree with it

i don't see why anyone would want to be a self confessed habbox addict but you still do it
Being a Habbox addict won't give me lung cancer or lead me to have an early death.

Special
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Being a Habbox addict won't give me lung cancer or lead me to have an early death.

smoking cannabis doesn't do either of those

Calum0812
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
smoking cannabis doesn't do either of those
Smoking does though.

Catchy
02-08-2013, 09:14 PM
gotta agree with @Special (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=58594); here Calum0812; yes we've established smoking is bad for your health, it's no secret. why are you so concerned though? you have no right to try and dictate other peoples lifestyle choices. "id try get them off it" do you realise how gay that sounds lol just saying

Stephen
03-08-2013, 12:21 AM
tbh heroin is a pretty harmless drug too if it wasn't for the addiction + cutting

there's a limit when it comes to drugs and weed doesn't even come close harm-wise or recreational-wise

cba debating though because it's like I'm living on a different planet compared to some of these people who are so against weed etc

Yawn
03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
its nice

shud i call a mod?
dead

Special
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Smoking does though.

smoking what? this is a cannabis debate and smoking cannabis doesn't give you lung cancer

JACKTARD
05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
It depends entirely on whether it's having an effect on someone's life in a negative way or if it's just used occasionally for recreational purposes - a lot like alcohol really.

.P1x13-Dust.
11-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Personally I can't be around it because the smell makes me very sick. I don't like it and it makes me uncomfortable if someone smokes it around me. If there are enough solid reports of how beneficial the drug can be to the environment, then I *guess* legalize it, but tax and regulate the hell out of it.

JerseySafety
11-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Smoking it once isn't going to get you instantly addicted which is what most people think, same with smoking cigarettes. Imo Cannabis should be legal as it's better for you than normal smoking like seriously. All the cancers you can get from normal smoking compared to nearly none smoking cannabis. I'm not an addict or anything and I don't smoke it everyday but with mates and at parties it's good <3

Becca
11-08-2013, 12:52 PM
if you don't like it don't do it, if you do like it then do it
as simple as that really

with other people it's sometimes awkward though especially if you hate the smell
i used to love the smell but now i think it's disgusting and i have no idea why

sammy
12-08-2013, 03:44 PM
y not its no more harmful than cigarettes or alcohol

!x!dude!x!2
12-08-2013, 10:55 PM
i don't like it. i find it gross

ToyTruck
13-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I don't really condone it never tried it but it's pretty addicting ****

haylashayla
14-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Cannabis affects more of the body than tobacco, but idk
depends the chemicals and stuff.
Depends what you smoke it with?
you see?

oli
21-08-2013, 02:48 PM
smoking what? this is a cannabis debate and smoking cannabis doesn't give you lung cancer
yes it does you're still breathing in smoke

Cannabis affects more of the body than tobacco, but idk
depends the chemicals and stuff.
Depends what you smoke it with?
you see?

well the chances are you're gunna be smoking a purey and the only other thing you're gnna smoke it with is baccy so, and a purey is healthier than if its mixed with baccy. personally i think that weed should be legalised considering the fact that alcohol and tobacco are both legal and they're actually worse for your health, and also alcohol has worse effects. if they were to legalise it they would rake in so much cash from taxes n it would be cheaper to buy in shops than on the street considering the prices are so expensive now so it would be better for every1. druggies wont have to pay as much for drugs and every1 elses living standards wud go up cos of new taxes and not to mention all the weed farming jobs that would be created

Hannah
21-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I won't personally smoke it, but I don't have any issues with anyone else smoking it.
Marijuana can actually be used medically too.

I've never understood why cigarettes and alcohol are legal while cannabis is not, however.
Cannabis didn't kill anybody.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!