PDA

View Full Version : Forum Moderation

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Ok so just a few things I thought I'd bring up in regards to moderation on the forum.

Firstly I want to talk about the slow speed of moderation at times; recently I had 3-5 post reports that were still open 7 days after I had sent them, and then only dealt with the next day, 8 days after sending them. But then a more recent report had been closed before the ones before. I don't know if it's because they were forgotten or because there's some kind of backlog, but 8 days to get multiple reports answered is way too high in my opinion - what if it was something more serious? I understand that sometimes super mods will skip reports, but then getting forgotten about for over a week is ridiculous.

Okay so also there seems to be some unfair moderation and possible favouritism I've noticed that a lot of posts which are pointless are just being left as they are, and the majority of the time it seems to be posts from the same select few people. So I don't know if it's just post reports being ignored and just closed without looking at them, or whether it's favouritism to certain forum members - but seriously, some of the posts are just so clearly pointless yet are just left as they are. This is often in the Feedback forum, and I can try find some examples if you wish but didn't post them here because I don't want to seem as though I'm targeting people/bullying or anything, because I'm not :P.

Oh and also, four of my last five post reports just say 'cheers' at the comments, yet the ones I've looked at haven't even been dealt with?! Plus, who ever it is has not left their name, which was another thing brought up not long ago and I'm sure it was said that from now on the smods would leave their name at the end of the comments.. well, that's clearly not happening? It was after that was posted before, but more recently it's not happening. Some of these posts are the ones I was referring to above and saying they're pointless but have just been left, so maybe it's someone who doesn't want a certain someone to get in trouble and so has just closed the case - but not left their name so I can't complain? Certainly seems a possibility anyway.

Anyway, I better get back to my coursework now (A).

Kardan
08-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Ok so just a few things I thought I'd bring up in regards to moderation on the forum.

Firstly I want to talk about the slow speed of moderation at times; recently I had 3-5 post reports that were still open 7 days after I had sent them, and then only dealt with the next day, 8 days after sending them. But then a more recent report had been closed before the ones before. I don't know if it's because they were forgotten or because there's some kind of backlog, but 8 days to get multiple reports answered is way too high in my opinion - what if it was something more serious? I understand that sometimes super mods will skip reports, but then getting forgotten about for over a week is ridiculous.

Okay so also there seems to be some unfair moderation and possible favouritism I've noticed that a lot of posts which are pointless are just being left as they are, and the majority of the time it seems to be posts from the same select few people. So I don't know if it's just post reports being ignored and just closed without looking at them, or whether it's favouritism to certain forum members - but seriously, some of the posts are just so clearly pointless yet are just left as they are. This is often in the Feedback forum, and I can try find some examples if you wish but didn't post them here because I don't want to seem as though I'm targeting people/bullying or anything, because I'm not :P.

Oh and also, four of my last five post reports just say 'cheers' at the comments, yet the ones I've looked at haven't even been dealt with?! Plus, who ever it is has not left their name, which was another thing brought up not long ago and I'm sure it was said that from now on the smods would leave their name at the end of the comments.. well, that's clearly not happening? It was after that was posted before, but more recently it's not happening. Some of these posts are the ones I was referring to above and saying they're pointless but have just been left, so maybe it's someone who doesn't want a certain someone to get in trouble and so has just closed the case - but not left their name so I can't complain? Certainly seems a possibility anyway.

1st point I agree with, but I assume that certain queries get passed on to people above. Usually though I've not had to wait any longer than a few days... (Which seems a lot longer than before, but I'm sure we don't have as many MODs as we used to have...)

Also on the 3rd point, all my recent ones say cheers with no name as well :P

Generally though, my reports get dealt with soon enough.

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 05:33 PM
1st point I agree with, but I assume that certain queries get passed on to people above. Usually though I've not had to wait any longer than a few days... (Which seems a lot longer than before, but I'm sure we don't have as many MODs as we used to have...)

Also on the 3rd point, all my recent ones say cheers with no name as well :P

Generally though, my reports get dealt with soon enough.
Probably should have said, they say 'cheers' but don't explain why they weren't dealt with and instead were just left as they are :P.

Martin
08-05-2013, 05:34 PM
In the past week and a half I havent noticed any report being left open longer than 24 hours? (apart from one which was a staff issue and was passed onto the agm staff)? Unless you mean recently as in the past month or so I'm not sure?

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 05:35 PM
In the past week and a half I havent noticed a report being left open longer than 24 hours? (apart from one which was a staff issue and was passed onto the agm staff)? Unless you mean recently as in the past month or so I'm not sure?
Hmm, I can't remember exactly which ones it was :(. But it was definitely ~5 of them that were left open and when I checked, it was exactly a week - then the next day they were all closed. By recently, it's been within the past few weeks :).

sex
why does it matter if their name is left? and cheers is the same as "done" are you really moaning about the wording of something no one else can see only you and the mods lol.....
and have you checked the reported posts to see if they actually have been dealt with and mods just forgot to close the report w.e

im sure the long time to take in dealing with pointless posts is justified when the forum is being spammed with links from bots and much worse stuff!! just seems 2 me u got a vendetta against someone and want to see them PUNISHED

Lee
If I where you I would gather the links of any post reports you are unsatisfied with the outcome of, and pm chris.
martin; may not be putting his name on them since he may not have known we did that :)

8 days is far too long however I can't help but wonder if that is an exaggeration because the only occasion that they are left undealt with for 8 days is if theres a nuke and everyone dies therefor nobody can close them. Me and matts are not too active right now and martins doing an ace job but before martin arrived it may have been slower than usual - either way I will try and improve the post reports and how they are dealt with from now on.

Again with favoritism just PM chris it will get it solved without the stress and pointless posts that are likely to occur in this feedback thread ;)

Martin
08-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Hmm, I can't remember exactly which ones it was :(. But it was definitely ~5 of them that were left open and when I checked, it was exactly a week - then the next day they were all closed. By recently, it's been within the past few weeks :).

Then that must have either been over a week and a half ago or a glitch in the system, because I would rather kill myself than leave a post report open longer than 24 hours and during the past week and a half its been just me mainly as Lee and Matts have been away :P

and in terms of the comment thing, I haven't been instructed what comments to leave etc, however I will be sure to put my name on them if I deal with them from now on! :P Luckily you only have to put up with me for a few weeks until matts is back then im being demoted again :P

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 05:38 PM
why does it matter if their name is left? and cheers is the same as "done" are you really moaning about the wording of something no one else can see only you and the mods lol.....
and have you checked the reported posts to see if they actually have been dealt with and mods just forgot to close the report w.e

im sure the long time to take in dealing with pointless posts is justified when the forum is being spammed with links from bots and much worse stuff!! just seems 2 me u got a vendetta against someone and want to see them PUNISHED
I think you're missing the point. They say 'cheers' but haven't said why nothing was done to the post - obviously I checked the post to see if anything had been done :P.

If I where you I would gather the links of any post reports you are unsatisfied with the outcome of, and pm chris.
@martin (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=113659); may not be putting his name on them since he may not have known we did that :)

8 days is far too long however I can't help but wonder if that is an exaggeration because the only occasion that they are left undealt with for 8 days is if theres a nuke and everyone dies therefor nobody can close them. Me and matts are not too active right now and martins doing an ace job but before martin arrived it may have been slower than usual - either way I will try and improve the post reports and how they are dealt with from now on.

Again with favoritism just PM chris it will get it solved without the stress and pointless posts that are likely to occur in this feedback thread ;)
I am not exaggerating with the time! I checked the date and it was definitely 7-8 days, but again, I can't remember exactly which ones it was. And actually, the 1 of the 5 most recent ones that has the name on is from Martin :).

Chris
08-05-2013, 05:38 PM

How recent are we talking here? Since I brought Martin in to help out they've been done fairly quickly. If you're talking about before Martin was brought in then fair enough, you have a point.

Theres no favouritism going on.

I assume this is Martin as he's done the majority of reports.

sex
08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I think you're missing the point. They say 'cheers' but haven't said why nothing was done to the post - obviously I checked the post to see if anything had been done :P.

I am not exaggerating with the time! I checked the date and it was definitely 7-8 days, but again, I can't remember exactly which ones it was. And actually, the 1 of the 5 most recent ones that has the name on is from Martin :).

maybe there was nothing wrong with the post you should read the rules again cause they changed a lot lol x

Kardan
08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Just to back up Mr-Trainor, I have had some reports a few weeks back that did take a number of days to clear, but recently it's been fine.

Also I'd totally recommend making Bolt660 a permanent super mod...

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Then that must have either been over a week and a half ago or a glitch in the system, because I would rather kill myself than leave a post report open longer than 24 hours and during the past week and a half its been just me mainly as Lee and Matts have been away :P

and in terms of the comment thing, I haven't been instructed what comments to leave etc, however I will be sure to put my name on them if I deal with them from now on! :P Luckily you only have to put up with me for a few weeks until matts is back then im being demoted again :P
You're one does have a name on it :D. '
Sorted, cheers luke! :) - Martin' and that's in the middle of the other ones just saying 'cheers' :P. So these 'cheers' ones that haven't been dealt with without explanation are recent, whereas the 8 day gap was before you became acting SMOD - I have so much going on irl atm that I can't remember exactly when it was, but like I said above, I'm not exaggerating and I did check the date :P.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
How recent are we talking here? Since I brought Martin in to help out they've been done fairly quickly. If you're talking about before Martin was brought in then fair enough, you have a point.

If we're on about Bolt660 not putting his name on the end of reports, he did for my ones, but not for my latest two, so either he forgot, or it's someone else :P

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Yeah it was before Martin was moved in to his current role :).

maybe there was nothing wrong with the post you should read the rules again cause they changed a lot lol x
Seems to me like it's you that has this 'vendetta against someone'. Ever since you basically pretended to be on my side, only to turn everything around on me, you've just been rude to me whenever I post. I think I can tell what is pointless and what is not, I've run a forum myself before.

Chris
08-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Seems to me like it's you that has this 'vendetta against someone'. Ever since you basically pretended to be on my side, only to turn everything around on me, you've just been rude to me whenever I post. I think I can tell what is pointless and what is not, I've run a forum myself before.

Thought it might have been. It's been an issue for a while to be honest and I recently cracked down on it because it was starting to take the piss. Nothing should be left over 24 hours ideally.

Martin
08-05-2013, 05:49 PM
All I can say Lukey is that we all make mistakes, and sometimes the pointless rule can go either way, since its not like the filter rule etc where there is a definite line. Sometimes what seems pointless to one person may mean something to someone else, or they may see it as contributing something etc. I think if you do see that your report hasnt been dealt with how you wished, then the best thing to do would be to send a private message to Chris and he can take a look over it and if needed contact us and we can make the change and deal with the post.

I'm sure you can appreciate when you have several post reports on the go, and when you are dealing with the report to smod thread too (which I like to deal with as soon as its posted in these days), then it can be a bit of a rush, especially when you suddenly get some beastly dvd spambots coming on the scene too and you have to move all those posts out and ban them and do the ban report etcetc.

I do try my hardest to ensure post reports are done in a quick fashion, but sometimes things do unfortunately get missed. I think so long as these issues arent serious then a simple PM would sort it out.

I think with this new report system, it has become obvious to people that reports were taking an awful long time to be sorted. Even as a mod, I was reporting posts in other sections that I didnt moderate, and they were taking days to be closed occasionally, same with reports to smods. I personally think that even for minor issues, nothing should be left more than 24 hours and when it is then there is a serious problem that needs addressing. Personally I don't see any large issues with moderation at the moment, but as I stated at the beginning, mistakes will occasionally happen, and you may occasionally be unhappy with the outcome of something and then a simple PM will clear things up im sure. xD

Shar
08-05-2013, 05:52 PM
I think forum moderation has become sloppy and I agree with Martin being a permanent smod - he's good at what he does.

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm glad to hear the times will be improving :). Bolt660; I see what you mean with the pointless posting rule, but one of the posts I reported just seemed very obvious that it was pointless and there was no explanation of why :P.

Also I'd totally recommend making Bolt660 a permanent super mod...

I think forum moderation has become sloppy and I agree with Martin being a permanent smod - he's good at what he does.
Couldn't agree more :D. I'm assuming there just isn't space at the moment, but hopefully it won't be too long :).

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm glad to hear the times will be improving :). Bolt660; I see what you mean with the pointless posting rule, but one of the posts I reported just seemed very obvious that it was pointless and there was no explanation of why :P.

Couldn't agree more :D. I'm assuming there just isn't space at the moment, but hopefully it won't be too long :).

"Isn't space?", I was unaware that there was a limit on the super MODs we could have...

How many do we even have? I'm thinking it's two since Jordan left? If that's right, then Martin would just become the 3rd wouldn't he?

Martin
08-05-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm glad to hear the times will be improving :). @Bolt660 (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55726); I see what you mean with the pointless posting rule, but one of the posts I reported just seemed very obvious that it was pointless and there was no explanation of why :P.

I've just had a quick look through the ones you reported, and I did find one that I have changed my opinion about, and have dealt with it accordingly, and I apologise for that! :P

I think to put a reason for every post report we don't take action on may become a bit tedious, since there are quite a few of them, and the reason most the time is simply because we feel it doesnt break the rule, otherwise action would be taken. Of course, if you are unhappy that the outcome, and there is no explanation then you can always PM any of us, or chris and we will of course then re-look into it. The pointless rule is probably one of the most complex rules there is to understand and to analyse, whether something is in context with something in a thread, or whether its not really on topic. I think the rules have relaxed a lot over the years, and it is confusing adapting to this, as I see many posts these days that would have had action taken on them in the past, but of course we don't want to over-moderate in this current climate and stuff.

I'm confident that things will be okay, and just remember we are always here to chat via PM if you have any queries about anything :)

sex
08-05-2013, 06:03 PM

err what are you talking about........................ LMAO i honestly have no clue...
wheres your forum now if you know all about the pointless rule, everyone has different meaning of what is classed as pointless...

Inseriousity.
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I noticed a few of your pointless posting post reports the other day and wouldn't have taken further action myself. The ones I saw had a context to it that fit in with the thread discussion even if they did not add anything constructive to the issue. I suppose the feedback forum could have a similar rule to graphics and the [CC] type rule where only constructive replies to the issue were allowed but I think that's taking it a little far and would dampen the passion that some people have for their ideas even if they're not always able to eloquently express them constructively.

sex
08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
i just came back to say im still pissing myself over mr-traniors post he sounds like hes gone crazy!!! LMAO

I noticed a few of your pointless posting post reports the other day and wouldn't have taken further action myself. The ones I saw had a context to it that fit in with the thread discussion even if they did not add anything constructive to the issue. I suppose the feedback forum could have a similar rule to graphics and the [CC] type rule where only constructive replies to the issue were allowed but I think that's taking it a little far and would dampen the passion that some people have for their ideas even if they're not always able to eloquently express them constructively.

fully agree, i don't think we should be cracking down either on minor things such as this when we trying to gain activity not scare people away

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Is this about a certain number of photography threads where certain people just went 'Nice photo!' or sentences like that numerous times :P I did consider this quite annoying, but didn't report it myself as it's within the rules, sadly. Those people were definitely posting just for the sake of posting/post count/tokens, but there's no rule against that either.

There's also no rule about spamming the 'New Posts' page with tons of posts/threads, unless your in the spam forum...

So everything was okay, despite being very borderline...

Zelda
08-05-2013, 06:14 PM
fully agree, i don't think we should be cracking down either on minor things such as this when we trying to gain activity not scare people away

agree with this definitely, I remember when I first joined also I was like really put off posting by the pointless posting stuff worrying that I'd just get warned for it immediately lmfao, and I'm sure that's what other people would think, I probably wouldn't have stayed if it wasn't for getting into events either lmfao

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 06:16 PM
"Isn't space?", I was unaware that there was a limit on the super MODs we could have...

How many do we even have? I'm thinking it's two since Jordan left? If that's right, then Martin would just become the 3rd wouldn't he?
Well like, if the current SMODs are doing all the work in an efficient time then there's no need to promote another to the role. However, I didn't realise there was only 2 - I hadn't actually checked (A).

I've just had a quick look through the ones you reported, and I did find one that I have changed my opinion about, and have dealt with it accordingly, and I apologise for that! :P

I think to put a reason for every post report we don't take action on may become a bit tedious, since there are quite a few of them, and the reason most the time is simply because we feel it doesnt break the rule, otherwise action would be taken. Of course, if you are unhappy that the outcome, and there is no explanation then you can always PM any of us, or chris and we will of course then re-look into it. The pointless rule is probably one of the most complex rules there is to understand and to analyse, whether something is in context with something in a thread, or whether its not really on topic. I think the rules have relaxed a lot over the years, and it is confusing adapting to this, as I see many posts these days that would have had action taken on them in the past, but of course we don't want to over-moderate in this current climate and stuff.

I'm confident that things will be okay, and just remember we are always here to chat via PM if you have any queries about anything :)
Yeah that was the main one :P. And yeah, I can see what you mean about replying to all of them - I guess if there's a lot of posts reports, or other things that need doing at the time, then it can be left out - it's definitely not a main priority :).

err what are you talking about........................ LMAO i honestly have no clue...
wheres your forum now if you know all about the pointless rule, everyone has different meaning of what is classed as pointless...
My forum closing has nothing to do with me knowing about the pointless posting rule :P?

Definitely not one of them anyway, although Martin just dealt with that one :).

i just came back to say im still pissing myself over mr-traniors post he sounds like hes gone crazy!!! LMAO

Must be all the coursework I'm doing atm :'(. But erm, Mr-Trainor* :(. Anyway, pointless posting isn't always a minor thing.

Is this about a certain number of photography threads where certain people just went 'Nice photo!' or sentences like that numerous times :P I did consider this quite annoying, but didn't report it myself as it's within the rules, sadly. Those people were definitely posting just for the sake of posting/post count/tokens, but there's no rule against that either.

Noo I never report those lol :P.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Well like, if the current SMODs are doing all the work in an efficient time then there's no need to promote another to the role. However, I didn't realise there was only 2 - I hadn't actually checked (A).

I don't think there's any harm in having an extra super MOD if he's doing a great job. If it turns out that he's not needed as much, fair enough, but surely on the few occasions where he does help, it's not a bad thing? I'm also assuming that there isn't activity quotas for super MODs, because that would be silly :P

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't think there's any harm in having an extra super MOD if he's doing a great job. If it turns out that he's not needed as much, fair enough, but surely on the few occasions where he does help, it's not a bad thing? I'm also assuming that there isn't activity quotas for super MODs, because that would be silly :P
Hmm, well I think that with SMODs holding quite a lot of power in terms of their permissions, it's a good idea not to just give it to more people than necessary. I'm not saying Martin is unnecessary as SMOD or anything like that btw! I think it'd be great if he was SMOD, but I'm just speaking about the higher rank roles in general :).

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Hmm, well I think that with SMODs holding quite a lot of power in terms of their permissions, it's a good idea not to just give it to more people than necessary. I'm not saying Martin is unnecessary as SMOD or anything like that btw! I think it'd be great if he was SMOD, but I'm just speaking about the higher rank roles in general :).

Ahh, I'm only referring to Martin in general here really, he can easily be trusted with such powers, considering he's been ranked higher up before anyway :P

Chris
08-05-2013, 06:27 PM
We only have 2 smods because thats all we should need. The forum isn't exactly booming with life these days and the amount of reports we get has obviously decreased because of this. If two smods can't keep on top of the work then its a problem with the smods themselves which will ultimately lead to action being taken against them.

Martin
08-05-2013, 06:28 PM
I really am fine just covering until Matt is back :P I'm sure Matt and Lee are most capable when they are both active! :P

Personally I think the problem lies lower down the chain, in terms of the forum being quieter and moderators still having sections to moderate. I don't believe for one second that all moderators actually read their forums, and half the time they just spot something no matter which section of the forum they happen to be in. In all honesty I would opt for a global moderation system, where moderators can edit all the main forums, however keep the staff rulebreaks, and the looking over the moderators, and the post reports, and all the other stuff such as the panel, banning spambots, dealing with oversized profile issues and checking infractions etc to just super moderators. I think one of the main roles of being a smod is helping moderators to improve, and thats difficult when smods have their own stats in reports and so naturally try and do everything themselves from reports, rather than share stuff out to normal mods etc. and when a normal mod only has 2 sections it can be a struggle.

I'm sure Chris won't mind me saying, my mod logs were awful a couple of months ago, and people in reports were questioning why I hadnt had such a great month, but in all honesty, I was spotting a billion rulebreaks in the habbo forums etc, but none in my own, and thats what held me back I think. The system could perhaps do with tweaking a bit to compensate for the fact that this forum is now much much quieter than it used to be, and keeping up with new posts isnt all that difficult anymore. I don't personally thing sections make much difference anyway, and when you only have 4 mods in the first place, handing out stuff can be tricky if half the forums dont have a mod online.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 07:31 PM ----------

Ahh, I'm only referring to Martin in general here really, he can easily be trusted with such powers, considering he's been ranked higher up before anyway :P

Take note of this xxMATTGxx; if you ever need to post away, I'm your man ;)

but aww thanks xD I just wanted to help out really, and jumped at the chance to actually feel useful in the forum department again, and its kind of like being a supply teacher at school when the main teacher is off ill etc, its a nice change! :P I really don't mind reverting back in a few weeks (I think its like 5 weeks or so) when Matts has done all his Uni stuff, I will go in whatever position I am needed in if its for the good of Habbox! (that sounds so nerdy and sad I know :()

David
08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Nothing against martin, but I don't think he should be given the permanent role again. He will most probably just resign a month down the line and reapply for normal mod, like history suggests. I'd promote Nick;

I think I can tell what is pointless and what is not, I've run a forum myself before.[/FONT][/COLOR]

opinions vary, maybe you're just overly strict.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:34 PM
I wasn't trying to cause an issue or anything, and I wasn't saying the current S MODs are doing a bad job, I just thought I'd put in a good word incase you were considering keeping him. I would :P

Plus we had 3 S MODs when Jordan was around, and we were doing just fine then :P I don't think activity has decreased that much since then :)

David
08-05-2013, 06:36 PM
and I wasn't saying the current S MODs are doing a bad job

if you exclude Lee; from this opinion then i'd agree

Lee
08-05-2013, 06:37 PM
if you exclude @Lee (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=45160); from this opinion then i'd agree

You're entitled to your opinion but it would be helpful if instead of constantly critising me you told me what the problem is to help me sort it ;)

David
08-05-2013, 06:38 PM
You're entitled to your opinion but it would be helpful if instead of constantly critising me you told me what the problem is to help me sort it ;)

revert your bad decision to edit my post ;)

Mr-Trainor
Nothing against martin, but I don't think he should be given the permanent role again. He will most probably just resign a month down the line and reapply for normal mod, like history suggests. I'd promote @Nick (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=75119);
Looking at past history isn't always the best thing to do. I was basically fired as RVM the first time round, and did a terrible job in the role, but I wasn't given a second chance the next time round and I personally think I did much better than the first time - what if management looked at past history, they would have just forgotten about me as an option straight away :P.

Lee
revert your bad decision to edit my post ;)

You're a very stubborn user.

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 06:39 PM
If a gif of someone sticking their hand down their mouth isn't pointless then I don't know what is :P.

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:40 PM
If a gif of someone sticking their hand down their mouth isn't pointless then I don't know what is :P.

Just fight back with pointless gifs of your own :)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgbj1gOtSX1qf8yek.gif

Martin
08-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Nothing against martin, but I don't think he should be given the permanent role again. He will most probably just resign a month down the line and reapply for normal mod, like history suggests. I'd promote @Nick (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=75119);

I'm fine with that :P

I guess sometimes history can be complicated and stuff, and things affect people in different ways. In the majority of all the times I've resigned its been down to one thing, and I certainly don't feel good/proud about any of it. I can promise that it hasnt always been the case though, and I have managed to stay put before! News manager for over a year, I think the last time I was a super moderator it was for around half a year or so, agm for nearly a year. I guess things change and people move on and its not always about time, but sometimes there are deeper issues under the surface that people don't really understand and nobody will ever understand.

I'd happilly go back to being a normal mod right now if thats what Chris wants/feels is best, I was just trying to help :P

Kardan
08-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Looking at past history isn't always the best thing to do. I was basically fired as RVM the first time round, and did a terrible job in the role, but I wasn't given a second chance the next time round and I personally think I did much better than the first time - what if management looked at past history, they would have just forgotten about me as an option straight away :P.

I think if there's a valid explanation, history shouldn't be looked upon... Many people that are currently staff have done worse things than resign in the past :P

David
08-05-2013, 06:41 PM
You're a very stubborn user.

cheers

that's the part where opinions vary, see below.

I noticed a few of your pointless posting post reports the other day and wouldn't have taken further action myself. The ones I saw had a context to it that fit in with the thread discussion even if they did not add anything constructive to the issue

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm fine with that :P

I guess sometimes history can be complicated and stuff, and things affect people in different ways. In the majority of all the times I've resigned its been down to one thing, and I certainly don't feel good/proud about any of it. I can promise that it hasnt always been the case though, and I have managed to stay put before! News manager for over a year, I think the last time I was a super moderator it was for around half a year or so, agm for nearly a year. I guess things change and people move on and its not always about time, but sometimes there are deeper issues under the surface that people don't really understand and nobody will ever understand.

I'd happilly go back to being a normal mod right now if thats what Chris wants/feels is best, I was just trying to help :P
That's very true.

I think if there's a valid explanation, history shouldn't be looked upon... Many people that are currently staff have done worse things than resign in the past :P
Yeah definitely :P.

cheers

that's the part where opinions vary, see below.
So are you saying your gif wasn't pointless? I'm a bit confused, I know that opinions will vary, but I'm assuming Mike wasn't talking about the gif and was instead referring to my other post reports which looking back on, I guess they could be considered borderline.

David
08-05-2013, 06:55 PM
That's very true.

So are you saying your gif wasn't pointless? I'm a bit confused, I know that opinions will vary, but I'm assuming Mike wasn't talking about the gif and was instead referring to my other post reports which looking back on, I guess they could be considered borderline.

yes, i was replying to a chain of posts between myself and mike which i've previously been told is perfectly acceptable.
and assuming martin is talking about it below, he agreed before you started complaining about reports being ignored.

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 06:57 PM
yes, i was replying to a chain of posts between myself and mike which i've previously been told is perfectly acceptable.
and assuming martin is talking about it below, he agreed before you started complaining about reports being ignored.
I'm sure Martin wouldn't change his mind completely just because of my thread :P.

Martin
08-05-2013, 06:58 PM

I actually sent that one to the forum manager to double check and get a 2nd opinion and he said it was pointless :P

I guess this is where the rule becomes very cloudy and different people see it in different lights :P

Inseriousity.
08-05-2013, 07:27 PM
That's very true.

I got a notification about them cos I was quoted in them so yeah I did mean them two. Admittedly, I understand how the gif could be seen as more pointless compared to the previous post but I still wouldn't have done anything. This is probably the time to admit though that I failed my moderator trial because I was too soft with everyone. I suppose I just find some of the minor issues not really that much of an issue.

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Don't see why any report takes long to deal with.

Aren't post reports pretty much the only jobs moderators have to do? :S

Oleh
08-05-2013, 09:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6Ab2q.gif

Edited by Bolt660 (Acting Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts!

David
08-05-2013, 09:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6Ab2q.gif

watch out mr trainor will report you

Mark
08-05-2013, 10:17 PM

Your latter point is the same for me. My report hasn't been dealt with and all it has is 'cheers'. It doesn't explain why the post may not have broken the rules (although imo a thread bump is).

Phil
08-05-2013, 10:23 PM
I know moderators may say that there's a lot to respond to which is why they don't explain why a report hasn't been dealt with but I think a short explanation would suffice just so the user knows whether to report a post like that in the future. Overall, wouldn't this provide a larger percentageo f reports that are actually helpful and lesson the amount of reports that get looked at that doesn't need action??

That might not make sense, very tired right now :P

HarrySX
08-05-2013, 10:37 PM

>> because I would rather kill myself than leave a post report open longer than 24 hours

hi bolt pls don't top yourself because of an elapsed report

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 10:53 PM
watch out mr trainor will report you
Wow, thanks.

I know moderators may say that there's a lot to respond to which is why they don't explain why a report hasn't been dealt with but I think a short explanation would suffice just so the user knows whether to report a post like that in the future. Overall, wouldn't this provide a larger percentageo f reports that are actually helpful and lesson the amount of reports that get looked at that doesn't need action??

That might not make sense, very tired right now :P
Hmm. I'm in two minds about this, I know it'd be useful but then I also know that it means it takes slightly longer to go through post reports. However, they should definitely at least leave their name :P. When I saw 'cheers' though, I assumed that action had been taken, although maybe that's just me making assumptions too quickly :P.

Phil
08-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Wow, thanks.

Hmm. I'm in two minds about this, I know it'd be useful but then I also know that it means it takes slightly longer to go through post reports. However, they should definitely at least leave their name :P. When I saw 'cheers' though, I assumed that action had been taken, although maybe that's just me making assumptions too quickly :P.

I suppose you're right but even if they were directed to the rule and advised they review it for a better idea, it's still something.

Jordan
08-05-2013, 11:09 PM
I swear the whole comment thing with the report system was sorted a few months back. If the moderator agreed with the user a "Thanks - Name" was done and if they disagreed then a simple explanation on why it is okay should be given to help users in the future. If this doesn't happen then the system is a bit pointless.

Mr-Trainor
08-05-2013, 11:26 PM
I swear the whole comment thing with the report system was sorted a few months back. If the moderator agreed with the user a "Thanks - Name" was done and if they disagreed then a simple explanation on why it is okay should be given to help users in the future. If this doesn't happen then the system is a bit pointless.
Yeah and it was happening after the agreement had been made, but then recently I noticed it wasn't happening as it should.

Matthew
09-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I certainly ALWAYS leave my name on the reports I tick off, and always leave a comment when no action is taken. Last month there was a slight issue where one SMOD didn't check off any of his reports but I think that's been sorted now?

GoldenMerc
09-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Don't see this being a big issue, its an issue. But im sure this should have been picked up internally before it even got to the point of someone posting

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!