PDA

View Full Version : Cadbury's Dairy Milk now tastes disgusting

Firehorse
08-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I've always absolutely loved Cadbury's Dairy Milk - it's been my favourite chocolate since before I can remember, but something seems to have changed in the past couple of months and I want to know if anybody else has noticed the difference or if I'm just tasting things.

I have a nut allergy so I'm very sensitive to traces, although small traces aren't very dangerous for me and I have never before had any problems with Cadbury - until now.
I picked up a bar about a week ago and something wasn't quite right about it, for the first time ever I was getting the tingling sensations of a small allergic reaction coming from a bar of Cadbury's milk chocolate - I assumed at the time that I must have just been imagining things or that something else I had eaten earlier was having an effect on the taste.

Today I bought another bar, and I got the same sensation once again. I'm starting to question if my nut allergy has suddenly spiked, which has never happened before in my entire life, or if crafty Kraft have been playing games with the ingredients and substituting original high quality ingredients with cheap, nut trace-ridden alternatives just like they did last year with their Milk Tray chocolates as was reported here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17728683) by the BBC.

Another possibility that occurred to me was that since they moved the production to Poland hygeine standards may have slipped if they aren't as well regulated as they were over here. Maybe it's possible that they were producing a nutty chocolate bar and didn't clean the equiptment effectively between production runs.

Has anybody else here tried a bar recently (a bar from the new batch that has the most distant expiry date)? To me it has a more piercing-like after taste that wasn't originally there. Have you observed any changes in taste?

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Haven't eaten any recently, but could it simply be that your taste buds have changed? I believe peoples tastes and preferences do sometimes change as they grow older.

Could probably find online if they have changed anything though - will take a look myself :)

Chippiewill
08-05-2013, 10:21 PM
I think they swapped out cocoa solids for vegetable fats/oils or something like that.

Firehorse
08-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Haven't eaten any recently, but could it simply be that your taste buds have changed? I believe peoples tastes and preferences do sometimes change as they grow older.

Could probably find online if they have changed anything though - will take a look myself :)

I think something has definitely changed beyond my taste buds, I've eaten Wispas recently too and they're perfectly fine (same chocolate, right?), a bar of Dairy Milk has never made me feel giddy before.

AgnesIO
08-05-2013, 10:25 PM
I think they swapped out cocoa solids for vegetable fats/oils or something like that.

Dairy Milk has only ever been hydrogenated vegetable oil :P

=Sam
08-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Cadbury is an Australian brand, and the chocolate you're talking about is most likely licensed to Kraft.

Kraft is a separate company who bought the brand name of Cadbury to increase popularity of their chocolates overseas, but the chocolate in comparison to Cadbury's will be completely different as it's manufactured in a different country under a different brand using different ingredients.

If you want some real delicious Cadbury chocolate, come to Australia and get the real deal, it's fantastic!

PS. Chocolate is incredibly bad for you, but I'm sure you all know that. :P

GommeInc
09-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Cadbury is an Australian brand, and the chocolate you're talking about is most likely licensed to Kraft.
Cadbury is a British chocolate brand which is exported to Australia. It's about as Australian as Coca Cola is a British brand :P

It's likely you've just started changing your tastes, or the batch you had wasn't up to scratch (edible and perfectly legal, but an alteration to the ingredients and measurements may of happened). I've not tasted any Cadbury's chocolate in a while so can't really compare. The easter egg chocolate tasted about the same though :/

sex
09-05-2013, 12:06 AM
they make it different all over the world according to where its being sold!! its weird that itwould be changedfor sucha huge market.
its still made here in Ireland and tastes the same to me but thats only for the irish market!!! i would be upset if the taste changed

Sloths
09-05-2013, 01:30 AM

Yeah Cadbury is British but the factories over here in NZ and AU have a different recipe to those in Britain as we have an added ingredients so it doesn't melt as quick in the higher temperatures of the countries. So it does taste different, to me english cadburys has always been best.

=Sam
09-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Yeah Cadbury is British but the factories over here in NZ and AU have a different recipe to those in Britain as we have an added ingredients so it doesn't melt as quick in the higher temperatures of the countries. So it does taste different, to me english cadburys has always been best.

The Cadbury company was founded in Britain and has 3 factories in Australia but our ingredients are stable and retain the same taste.

However I believe in 2010 or around about if memory serves me correctly. Kraft bought the license and has the right to change ingredients, which they have - that results in the change in taste.

I have never tasted british Cadbury/Kraft chocolate so I can't vouch for the taste. I respect your opinion though.

The best chocolate in Australia is our Cadbury. And it's legit, although I haven't eaten any chocolate in a very long time. Also, lindt chocolate sucks so hard, just had to add that bit in. :D

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 05:02 AM ----------

Cadbury is a British chocolate brand which is exported to Australia. It's about as Australian as Coca Cola is a British brand :P

It's likely you've just started changing your tastes, or the batch you had wasn't up to scratch (edible and perfectly legal, but an alteration to the ingredients and measurements may of happened). I've not tasted any Cadbury's chocolate in a while so can't really compare. The easter egg chocolate tasted about the same though :/

The chocolate made by Cadbury is licensed by Cadbury here in Australia and made with suitable ingredients as as stated above by Sloths.

Your chocolate uses the brand name of Cadbury but is owned by Kraft allowing them to change the recipe and tweak it to the market in reference to cutting expenses and changing tastes. This is very common with any notable brand name that's been bought for marketing and investment purposes.

Sloths
09-05-2013, 05:16 AM
The Cadbury company was founded in Britain and has 3 factories in Australia but our ingredients are stable and retain the same taste.

However I believe in 2010 or around about if memory serves me correctly. Kraft bought the license and has the right to change ingredients, which they have - that results in the change in taste.

I have never tasted british Cadbury/Kraft chocolate so I can't vouch for the taste. I respect your opinion though.

The best chocolate in Australia is our Cadbury. And it's legit, although I haven't eaten any chocolate in a very long time. Also, lindt chocolate sucks so hard, just had to add that bit in. :D

What no lindt is the best! Well under Whittakers (think thats nz brand though) and Hersheys Kisses my god yum. But yeah I'm guessing your cadburys would probably taste a bit different to ours due to different factories maybe not sure I'm not a pro on all this or bothering to research just off my head but i do if i recall properly think there is an added ingredient to hotter countries like our cadburys but yeah i might be wrong :P i dont think that had much point oh well

=Sam
09-05-2013, 05:45 AM
What no lindt is the best! Well under Whittakers (think thats nz brand though) and Hersheys Kisses my god yum. But yeah I'm guessing your cadburys would probably taste a bit different to ours due to different factories maybe not sure I'm not a pro on all this or bothering to research just off my head but i do if i recall properly think there is an added ingredient to hotter countries like our cadburys but yeah i might be wrong :P i dont think that had much point oh well

Lindt tastes terrible! :@ Infact most chocolate does these days. I barely touch it anymore unless it's made with real ingredients as opposed to manufactured ones. The only positive thing I can say for Lindt is they provide a 70% + cocoa range which tastes like crap, but is what chocolate is supposed to be made from and is the healthiest form of chocolate on the market.

I appreciate your feedback!

AgnesIO
09-05-2013, 10:04 AM

Kraft is a separate company who bought the brand name of Cadbury to increase popularity of their chocolates overseas, but the chocolate in comparison to Cadbury's will be completely different as it's manufactured in a different country under a different brand using different ingredients.

If you want some real delicious Cadbury chocolate, come to Australia and get the real deal, it's fantastic!

Kraft bought Cadbury to access markets it wasn't currently in, for far more money than it is worth. It is a British company originally, although as you did rightly say Kraft bought it (for way over the odds, in the eyes of Warren Buffet, who at the time was Krafts biggest shareholder.

Also, Cadbury is not "real" chocolate anyway, due to it lacking many cocoa beans etc - as stated earlier, it is simply hydrogenated vegetable oil. This is how some European states managed to force Cadbury to stop calling it chocolate, as a way of protectionism, but they did definitely have a valid point.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 11:07 AM ----------

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 05:02 AM ----------

The chocolate made by Cadbury is licensed by Cadbury here in Australia and made with suitable ingredients as as stated above by Sloths.

Your chocolate uses the brand name of Cadbury but is owned by Kraft allowing them to change the recipe and tweak it to the market in reference to cutting expenses and changing tastes. This is very common with any notable brand name that's been bought for marketing and investment purposes.

Whether Kraft owns it or not, it is still Cadbury. Kraft didn't buy it to change recipes etc - the fact Kraft is the parent company means very little. You don't say "I eat Cargill eggs" when you eat egg at McDonald's, despite the fact that that is where the eggs come from. Similarly, you don't say that you will get up the video on Google, you say YouTube - despite Google being the parent company.

The fact a company takesover another, does not mean the product has to change

Jurv
09-05-2013, 10:52 AM
couldn't be bothered reading the thread but i swear it tastes the same lol

Adam
09-05-2013, 10:57 AM
tesco value is best.

sex
09-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Yeah my lecture in OB worked in cabury in uk before she lost her job and she said they freeze dried it or something to stop it melting in the hot temp. or something which gave it the disgusting taste most people in europe finds with american/warm country chocolate

Phil
09-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I do think they don't taste as nice as they used to. They're after going crazy with all these new bloody flavours! It's like Habbo and all their recolours :P

AgnesIO
09-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I do think they don't taste as nice as they used to. They're after going crazy with all these new bloody flavours! It's like Habbo and all their recolours :P

Added value.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 12:19 PM ----------

tesco value is best.

Lots of sugar :L

Red
09-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I haven't had dairy milk in so long! Gonna have to get some to try it now.
Reminds me of when they changed the recipe to 'all natural ingredients' in milkybar buttons years ago :'( I was like what have they doneeeee.

AgnesIO
09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Just bought a whole nut bar to try, and it tastes the same to me.

Inseriousity.
09-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Even when it's cold, they still melt so they should bring that extra ingredient here too. :P

I don't have a nut allergy but have noticed several foods I used to like taste different. I either put this down to cost-cutting with ingredients or growing older so just being nostalgic about old tastes and my mind is playing tricks on me lol.

Sloths
09-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Even when it's cold, they still melt so they should bring that extra ingredient here too. :P

It doesn't stop it melting fully it still melts like english chocolate so what ever they're doing doesnt work all that great ;) unless its for storage purposes idk..

Yawn
09-05-2013, 08:54 PM
ate some 2day its not disgusting at all

-:Undertaker:-
10-05-2013, 12:17 AM
I have found it has changed for past two or so years, before Kraft anyway - that's why I (the rare times I eat chocolate) go for Galaxy.

Aiden
10-05-2013, 01:05 AM
ive not had any for ages :S

Nature
10-05-2013, 02:28 AM
I work at Cadbury/Kraft Foods, the ingredients are the same and have been for a while.

Cadbury in AU is also owned by Kraft Foods.

Agnostic Bear
10-05-2013, 05:26 AM

It tastes the same as British Cadbury's chocolate. There's no discernible taste difference as far as I've noticed!

Chippiewill
10-05-2013, 05:46 AM
They really shouldn't, 90% of the taste of chocolate is the way it melts.

Sloths
10-05-2013, 06:17 AM
It tastes the same as British Cadbury's chocolate. There's no discernible taste difference as far as I've noticed!

Between English Cadbury and NZ Cadbury to me personally it does taste different but I have a really picky set of taste buds..

Narnat,
10-05-2013, 06:23 PM
I can't say I've actually really noticed to be honest.

lemons
10-05-2013, 06:42 PM
who has had diary milk with oreo mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ye

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!