PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujah!

Kardan
16-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Ok, so... Second year Maths undergraduate, just to give you some background.

Had a meeting with my personal tutor today, and asked her about the list of topics we have to do in 3rd year for our two-semester final project. Basically, the list is pretty horrible, here's some examples:

Propagation of waves in a two-dimensional wave guide
Integrable Partial Differential Equations in 2+1 dimensions: deformations of dispersionless limits
Bifurcation analysis for drops of partially wetting liquids on a heterogeneous substrate

Now, you don't know what they mean, I don't know what they mean, and I'm having to pick from a list of about 30/40 topics, all like that. So basically, I'm crapping myself. I asked her if I was able to suggest my own topic, and she said that it's very rare since most lecturers have already made up their list of topics, and she said I should contact the lecturer I was interested in overseeing my project.

So I go to my Stats tutorial today, and basically asked my lecturer. Turns out in his spare time he works for the FA and does statistical analysis in football, and also does it for betting companies in Horse Racing. Basically, all of his stats modelling he does in his spare time is around sport. So, I asked him if it was at all possible to do statistical analysis and modelling in Formula One as my topic, and my god was I surprised.

Turns out, he's always wanted to oversee this project, and actually do it himself. The betting company bet365 got into contact with him a few months ago with loads of F1 data for him so he could calculate betting odds for them, and he told me he'll try and get hold of this data so I can do this project.

My friends sitting next to me were stunned that I stumbled into getting a final year project that I want, and assuming it gets approved by the powers that be in the Maths department, I don't have to fight with anyone on getting the topic, nor do I have to pick my top 10 choices out of the horror list of topics that everyone else has to go through.

So, I'm amazed, I actually got probably the best final year project I could ask for. The two things I love put together, Maths and Formula One :)

TLDR; Was dreading getting a horrible project topic, ended up with the most awesome one in the world.

Rozi
16-05-2013, 08:23 PM
ARGH that's really fantastic! It's so important that you've got something you actually want to do, because you've paid for your degree and you don't want to be stuck with something ridiculously far from what you want to do.

Also, it'll be fantastic if you want to go into that field later on, and you'll have a contact in the business!

Adam
16-05-2013, 08:30 PM
When applied to a situation that the student actually cares about, every subject can be fun. The future of education.

Kardan
16-05-2013, 09:35 PM
ARGH that's really fantastic! It's so important that you've got something you actually want to do, because you've paid for your degree and you don't want to be stuck with something ridiculously far from what you want to do.

Also, it'll be fantastic if you want to go into that field later on, and you'll have a contact in the business!

I know, I'm so lucky. I just need to do well at it now :) And if this somehow leads me to a career with something related to Formula One, I'll be absolutely amazed :P

e5
16-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Welldone! lol I hate maths :(

Ardemax
17-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Are you subscribed to numberphile on YouTube? I'm sure it was them who went round like this Stats office whilst like 6/7 footie games were being played. I'm guessing what you're going to do is something like that?

Ashley
17-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Congrats, I'm quite jealous. I'm currently choosing a dissertation topic for next year and have absolutely no idea what I want to do it on. Unfortunately, my degree involves a bit of maths, but thankfully nothing close to the topics you listed. Core 4 and Statistics from A Level Maths were traumatising experiences that put me off the subject for life. Good luck!

Kardan
19-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Are you subscribed to numberphile on YouTube? I'm sure it was them who went round like this Stats office whilst like 6/7 footie games were being played. I'm guessing what you're going to do is something like that?

Pretty much, but F1 related... And more project based :P

Samantha
19-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Not bad, see every cloud has a silver lining. Or every stone has a silver lining, one of the F1 destinations is Silverstone right? LOL, if not then I'll be quiet. Congratulations nevertheless :) x. I hope you do well on it!

Kardan
19-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Not bad, see every cloud has a silver lining. Or every stone has a silver lining, one of the F1 destinations is Silverstone right? LOL, if not then I'll be quiet. Congratulations nevertheless :) x. I hope you do well on it!

Yes, that's where the British GP is held at :) I go every year :P And thanks :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!