PDA

View Full Version : Improving Processor

CrazyLemurs
26-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Hey guys
So at the moment I've got the AMD FX6100 6-core processor, and I do believe it's letting me down a little
Windows Experience Index says it ranks at 7.3, which is lower than my RAM's 7.5

Can I just check if something like the AMD FX8350 8-core processor would be equally as fitting into my parts as it's the same brand etc., or whether I'd need to go a bit in-depth and check if that individual part fits?
Also, would it be a worthy upgrade for £170? If not, is there something else that's likely to be compatible but better?

mrwoooooooo
26-05-2013, 06:57 PM
What exactly is it 'letting you down' on?

Calum0812
26-05-2013, 06:58 PM
What exactly is it 'letting you down' on?

I don't think he's happy with the all around performance.

CrazyLemurs
26-05-2013, 06:59 PM
I just feel it isn't as fast as I'd like, and a friend directed me to improving that over anything else.
Although personally I'm debating whether it might be my graphics card instead, which in case it's relevant is the NVidia GeForce GTX550TI

mrwoooooooo
26-05-2013, 07:18 PM
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-336-AM&groupid=701&catid=1967&subcat=1825

£20 cheaper

also, how much ram do you have?

CrazyLemurs
26-05-2013, 07:45 PM
16gb, and it seems a little OTT as I've got a memory checker that has never measured my RAM at over 7gb

xxMATTGxx
26-05-2013, 08:55 PM
16gb, and it seems a little OTT as I've got a memory checker that has never measured my RAM at over 7gb

I have 16GB ram as well. Ram is pretty cheap so it's really a "May as well" moment

Stephen!
26-05-2013, 08:55 PM
You are NOT going to notice a difference between an FX 6 core and 8 Core. The biggest thing that impacts general system usability is the storage device. Get an SSD.

WEI means nothing. Mine says my 680 SLI has a rating of 6.2.

CrazyLemurs
26-05-2013, 09:18 PM
SSD as in an alternative to a HDD?
I don't see how that'd be helping me for things such as gaming and screen recording?

:Markster:
27-05-2013, 06:14 PM
As Stephen pointed out you're not going to notice the difference between a 6-core and an 8-core processor. Obviously it depends what you use your computer for. If you mainly use applications that are multithreaded like rendering and stuff like that then you're better off with a higher number of cores as that allows the application to run processes parallel to each other. Now on the other hand if you do things that don't need that are more into gaming, or other design tools then you're better off with a faster processor overall. Another thing you might want to consider is how much multitasking you do as the more you multitask the better off you are with a higher number of cores.

CrazyLemurs
27-05-2013, 07:47 PM
I do multitask quite often: at the moment I've got TeamSpeak, 7 Chrome tabs (Habbo client as well as these) and Minecraft open.
I don't quite get what you mean by:

Now on the other hand if you do things that don't need that are more into gaming
Do you mean I should go for a processor if I like gaming, or definitely not if I like gaming?
I could potentially get a new graphics card instead, but I'm not sure if that'd be affecting it either

xxMATTGxx
27-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Is your computer being slow with those programs open or something?

CrazyLemurs
27-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Sometimes it does slow down a little, but I've had advice given to me that my processor is my problem

28-05-2013, 05:54 AM
It would be easier to work with this if we knew your full computer specs. And what i meant was that if the applications are single threaded such as most programs and games are you're really better off at getting a faster processor rather than one with more cores. The problem might be completely irrelevant to the processor though as the FX6100 is not a bad processor at all.

mrwoooooooo
28-05-2013, 06:35 AM
It would be easier to work with this if we knew your full computer specs. And what i meant was that if the applications are single threaded such as most programs and games are you're really better off at getting a faster processor rather than one with more cores. The problem might be completely irrelevant to the processor though as the FX6100 is not a bad processor at all.
fx 6100
550ti
16gb ram
standard hard drive

what else do you need to know?

the new processor would be an improvement imo, but if you could try get an amd 7850 graphics card

28-05-2013, 09:46 AM
fx 6100
550ti
16gb ram
standard hard drive

what else do you need to know?

the new processor would be an improvement imo, but if you could try get an amd 7850 graphics card

Yeah i'm blind and didn't see it on the previous page :P
Well the 550TI isn't a bad piece per se but an upgrade isn't a bad idea especially if you do a lot of screen capping. I guess your budget does matter also a bit. I'm sort of guessing we're avoiding the topic that it might not be a hardware issue at all, i'm presuming your pc is clean from viruses.

CrazyLemurs
28-05-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty confident that I'm virus-free, as MalwareBytes and MS Security Essentials aren't recognising any.
I've probably got £200, and I'd rather it was a part that will last me a number of years

I'm currently on my iPhone if you are seeing this message! I cannot participate in spam wars xx

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!