PDA

View Full Version : Mental Health - Myths

Jazz
10-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Though I would do a follow up to my previous thread about Mental Health and share some myths and facts for you, I wrote the majority myself, but I researched them through before I posted so I don't mislead.

My last thread: http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=769881

------

Mental health is a big thing, most people have seen the facts that 1 in 5 people suffer with a mental health illness. In fact everyone suffers with it in their lifetime someway or another. Mainly anxiety, stress or depression, everyone has these in everyday life. For example Job interviews, social groups, starting a new school or college, exams etc. Being depressed or worried or stressed doesn't automatically label you as 'Mental' it just means you are a normal person with normal feelings, its when these problems take over your day to day life when it becomes a 'problem'.

The best advice I could give you is, go and see your doctor. As hard as this may be, you have to try and push yourself if not tell a family member to do it for you. The internet, for example can give you as much advice as it likes, but its not always correct and it changes in every person because everyone is different (obviously). Don't just leave it, it doesn't go away it might stop but if you don't have any support you will probably relapse, this will make it so much harder for you.

Myths:

I hear so many myths about mental health, they are usually a load of crap.

If I tell my doctor he will send me to an institute.
No no no no no no. A doctor won't just send you to a psychiatric hospital/ward, these wards are for people who come under the Mental Health Act which is in place for people who are 'mainly a risk to themselves or others' and has a very strict guideline regarding this. The first point of call for a GP is they will refer you to someone who knows more about it, a psychiatrist. Psychiatrist's are there to assess your situation and come up with an action plan to help and support you.

They will just put me on happy pills
Not always the case, you are only put on medication if your condition is past a certain point. Psychiatrists usually refer you onto a mental health team that will work with you first, and if that isn't starting to help they then consider giving you a short term medication to help you out a little bit. Don't pay attention to what the media say about Happy Pills, they like to play on stereotypes its what they do.

I'll be mental for the rest of my life
Not always the case, a lot of mental health illnesses consist of 'episodes'. Sometimes these episodes last a couple of months, sometimes a couple of years but they don't always mean that you're stuck with them for your whole life. Some illnesses, you do have for your lifetime but support networks can help you learn to manage them.

I have mood swings, I must have bipolar
Heard people say this so much, its a load of bull. Mood swings are normal, they happen to everyone especially during teenage years. Mood swings are caused by hormones, everyone has them and everyone has different traits within them. 'Individuals with bipolar disorder experience episodes of a frenzied state known as mania, typically alternating with episodes of depression.' This is judged usually on the 'Bipolar spectrum', but note that mood swings are related a many mental health problems and many real life stress related situations.

Depression comes from a weakness or character flaws, and people who are depressed could just snap out of it if they tried hard enough.
Give a noble prize to this exceptional arse. This is bull, depression is a normal emotional response and if someone has no understanding of it, they can't really judge it. Doesn't make you weak or lazy, it makes you human. Also applies to 'If you have a mental illness, you can will it away. Being treated for a psychiatric disorder means an individual has in some way "failed" or is weak.'

If I get sectioned, I will get put in the 'Electric/Happy Chair'
Been watching too many films I think, another things i've heard and laughed off but many people apparently think this. The Electric Chair is sometime people used to get put in when they were sentenced to death, ECT (shock treatment) is not the same, it is for serious mental health illnesses and it is done when they are asleep and is there to help calm mania or depressive based disorders. Its only used if a person doesn't respond to medication or treatment, a last resort if you will.

People with serious mental illness are violent and dangerous, and should be locked up
This is a film based stereotype, a very small amount of people with mental health issues are violent.

If anyone has any questions about Mental Health, I am happy to try and help. I've always said that when I start to recover from my mental illnesses, I would never just leave it behind. I have had the experience with it, and if I can use that to help others then why would I waste it.

FlyingJesus
10-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I think it's also worth mentioning that in the UK, doctor-patient confidentiality does extend to minors as well as those over 18. A lot of young people struggling with mental health issues are unwilling to see a doctor because they don't want their parents to find out, but the only case in which a doctor can contact your parents (or anyone else) without your consent is if you've expressed a belief that your situation puts someone's life at serious risk, in which case it's probably for the best that people are informed anyway.

Jazz
10-06-2013, 01:27 PM
I think it's also worth mentioning that in the UK, doctor-patient confidentiality does extend to minors as well as those over 18. A lot of young people struggling with mental health issues are unwilling to see a doctor because they don't want their parents to find out, but the only case in which a doctor can contact your parents (or anyone else) without your consent is if you've expressed a belief that your situation puts someone's life at serious risk, in which case it's probably for the best that people are informed anyway.

Yeah thats a very valid point, thanks for that! :)

Yawn
10-06-2013, 01:27 PM
thx jazz ur a gr8 person for this

myles
10-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I have mood swings, I must have bipolar
Heard people say this so much, its a load of bull. Mood swings are normal, they happen to everyone especially during teenage years. Mood swings are caused by hormones, everyone has them and everyone has different traits within them. 'Individuals with bipolar disorder experience episodes of a frenzied state known as mania, typically alternating with episodes of depression.' This is judged usually on the 'Bipolar spectrum', but note that mood swings are related a many mental health problems and many real life stress related situations.
I totally agree with this. I suffer from bipolar and it is more than just mood swings. I generally despise people that say this and I have heard a lot of people make this statement. I would name all of the effects of this mental health problem that I have but there are too many of them to list.

Empired
10-06-2013, 04:51 PM
What about actually getting something done about it? I mean especially people with depressions are unlikely to want to go to the doctors because depression happens so slowly you don't really notice it happening. Any suggestions for what people suffering with this problem can do?

FlyingJesus
10-06-2013, 05:01 PM
If it isn't making a noticeable difference to your life then you obviously don't need outside help, but if it is then however hard it is (and I know, it's really not easy) you need to talk to a doctor about it. They are professionals who know either how to deal with your situation or who to refer you to if they can't, but most importantly they will listen and need tell you to just suck it up or any other useless stuff that you might expect from people

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!