PDA

View Full Version : Death of a pet

-:Undertaker:-
10-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Yesterday awoke to find my guinea pig of 5 years had died, so she had a good run it has to be said. But yeah she had really slowed down in recent months and I was sort of expecting it, so found her dead in the hutch outside yesterday morning and buried her pretty much immediately in the garden (where her 'husband' Marmaduke is buried :P)

First time when the father died two years ago, I was sobbing - but this time I didn't although I did feel sad. I think it's interesting really as it's more so when you see a pet in a bad state that is the thing that makes you most sad rather than a death you are pretty much expecting. With the father guinea pig, his legs went the night before and we sat up with him (as he was going colder) and by morning he was gone. With her, she pretty much passed away in her sleep so she wasn't in a state before she'd died. And anywho, I still have her daughter and the daughters two children. :)

But you know, it was the same was with my first ever pet years ago, a hamster named Sam. He was going really slow and ended up falling from his three-floored cage and badly cutting himself, and I still remember him dragging himself across the cage to reach some water - now that was really sad to see.

So guess the point/question is, do you always cry when a pet passes away? or is it more the suffering part that gets you as opposed to simply losing them?

RIP Maizy 2008 to 2013.

http://www.iaza.com/work/130611C/iaza15895030833700.png

Shar
10-06-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I think it is sad, especially if the pet was part of your family for a long period of time because they end up literally being "part" of it. I'm usually upset over both the suffering and loss.

Inseriousity.
10-06-2013, 05:44 PM
We had a dog called tara who died when I was around 11 and I remember crying then but don't think I'd cry now.

Adam
10-06-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm not particularly sure how can you feel attached to a guinea pig but hey.

I cried when my first dog was put down, like 12 years of unconditional love from her.

Zelda
10-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Sorry for your loss :(

--------------

My previous cat I had when I was younger I did cry for when he died, I was only like 7/8 anyway though so I definitely would have done. I didn't really know of all the problems he had before though at the time as I don't think my parents wanted me to know that he would have died soon really.

with my current cat he does suffer quite a bit from numerous problems but he seems quite happy really and aslong as he's on meds he's always fine, but I don't really feel sad about it cause like it's just the norm with him really. When he dies I think i'd probably cry a lot though as he's really close to me compared to the previous one.

Yawn
10-06-2013, 05:49 PM
i hate seeing animals suffer :'(

especially cute 1s. sorry for ur guinea pig loss they are such cute lil animals :'(

geo
10-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Uh, I cried quite a bit when my fish died (they all died in one go wtf) ((I was like 9)) and I have no clue why. I remember I cried so much when my hamster and rabbit died, they both died on really bad days too so it just added to how sad I was. I got really attached to my hamster and it was so cute and then it died on my birthday.... was such a rough day omg. I think my rabbit died on Christmas eve and this was one of the worst deaths of my pets because it got petrified by a nasty dog.

Recent pets we've had haven't really affected me. We've got love birds and the death of one of them only saddened me a little, but that's because I think he was relieved of his pain and I didn't really see it much.

If I had a cat or a dog for a long time and they died I think it'd be an absolute wreck.

MKR&*42
10-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Cried when my 17 year old dog died, and I probably will when the other old one does - he's nearly 17 and is with my grandparents now, he looks very ill so I don't have high hopes he'll make it to 18 tbh.

I'd be sad for most other pets, but I never had such a strong connection with any other animal considering I literally did have those dogs throughout my entire life.

khiera
10-06-2013, 06:35 PM
I am really sorry for the loss of your pet and I hope you carry on with your everyday life. I know what it feels like when I was 5 I lost my budgie called Chico but it was different my mum put him in the bin before I noticed he was dead because I was at school

Absently
10-06-2013, 06:39 PM
aww :( when any of my animals die i am completely distraught about it. my cat died last year during the summer and i was so upset. we knew she was always sort of 'off' and she started to get all flu like symptoms. my mum said to take her home with us and bring her to the vet, but i said she looked fine :'( next day they found her curled up in a box dead. my new pup died a few weeks/a month later, which idk made me cry so much. i think it was the hit of two pets passing in a short space of time and at that time i wasn't doing the best in terms of my mental state.

dbgtz
10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Not always, but I did when my dog died a few years back (which is quite bad as I haven't cried at the death of a human).

JamesCrossFor
10-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Id Be Really Sad We Had A Bird Bolt Who Died I Cried

Kardan
10-06-2013, 07:17 PM
When my dog dies I'll be absolutely distraught, the only hope I have is that I'll move out by then and hopefully not be attached to him as much as I am now, and I know how cruel that sounds :(

Cerys
10-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm still torn up about Paddy.

He had to have surgery multiple times over the period of a year. It just got to the point where he hadn't eaten/drank in ages, couldn't get up from his bed. He was always crying it was awful. The day we decided to get him put to sleep was when he sicked up blood. We knew it had gone too far - he was in pain and there was nothing we could do about it.
I have had him ever since I can remember. Fairly sure it would have been 10 years last march. He died last November. The vet came here and put him to sleep in his own bed.

Honestly I cry nearly every other day about it. I'm tearing up writing this right now ahaa.. Yes, say it's sad if you must. But he was truly my best friend.

Makes it worse when people laugh at him for dying etc. yes im looking at you ok ;//

I don't think I will ever truly get over a pets death. ;;

http://i.imgur.com/HLQK5TA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uypUWF1.jpg

JACKTARD
10-06-2013, 07:27 PM
I had 2 dogs who I'd known pretty much all my life who both lived to be about 14 so they had long lives and I was really upset when they died. Since then we've got a new dog and yeah I think I probably would be really upset again if he died. I don't see how you can't get attached to a pet like a dog.

Jurv
10-06-2013, 07:36 PM
my guinea pig died last month around 1am on the first of march, i had him for six years so he must have been about seven. i did sob a little bit too but i'm not surprised really cos he was pretty much by my side the whole time he was with us (as cheesy as that sounds). he lived in a cage at the side of my bed and i would always talk to him whenever i was on my computer aha. we knew he was gonna pass away by the way he was breathing and his toilet problems that male guinea pigs have as they grow older. it was weird too cos like just before he died i woke up and noticed him crawling towards the corner of the cage where it looked like he was having some sort of heart attack or something. it was awful to watch and i felt so helpless just sitting there stroking him but yeah i'm glad i was sorta there when he went

here's a picture if anyones interested (it's probs massive)

http://i.imgur.com/mfJqkcE.jpg

Sloths
10-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Sorry for your loss :(
I've been a mess each time one of my pets have died. My rabbit when I was little I was awful that day I still remember coming home from school and thinking it was weird my dad was home. I wasn't really attached to her but I was a kid it was heartbreaking.
Since then I've lost three rats, first I was awful, second I was even worse as he was mine and the other was my brothers but I looked after them both and the third I wasn't as bad (Christmas eve just got back from holidays in uk sigh). I still have one alive and I'm going to be bad when she finally does go, her cancers come back and she's too old now for another operation so as soon as she can't function properly ill have to put her to sleep..
My cats 15 now and I've pretty much grown up with him, I'm his favourite really and it's going to be so hard when I have to lose him...

Phil
10-06-2013, 09:58 PM
I would cry so much if my dog died :( Mam has given away two of our dogs at this stage and I remember crying so much :( I love my dogs

Daltron
10-06-2013, 09:58 PM
My dog is like my bestfriend so I don't know what I would do if she passed..

I'm sorry for your loss :(

e5
10-06-2013, 10:16 PM
I find it more sad if I saw them struggling.

We had 2 love birds, and from the looks of things, the first one died from what it seemed like falling off it's perch and breaking it's neck because his neck was floppy :/ I didn't feel sad idk, I didn't get attatched them them and the other one died a few days ago, it was just sat quietly in the corner, like it knew it was going to die... again didn't feel anything... We have a proper parrot though, and I love it... if that died I would feel really sad about it, same with my dog.

But yeah, for me, it's more seeing the struggling and being ill, as I know they're in pain :( If it was quick and easy then yeah it's a little better, but would still hate to see my dog or parrot die, especially since they've been with our family for a long time now.

Rachel
10-06-2013, 10:26 PM
I have lost many animals of mine because of death and is depressing to see your animal dies. You are attached to it a lot so that is why it hurts a lot. I had my dog since 6 years and last year it died from a cancer. I didn`t even knew that an animal could of had cancer..... but yeah they can and I cried for weeks for my dog :( but atleast it won`t suffer anymore.

I get attached to my animals so quick because they are sooo sweet and cute things on this earth. I still can`t believe why some people can treat animals like trash. :(

wixard
10-06-2013, 10:36 PM
no my dog of 18 years died a few months ago! my mum was in bits but i was fine, but when i was younger with her when she was like 8/9 had some problems and we thought she was gonna be put down i cried loads

Red
10-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Aww its so upsetting when animals die. Even when my wee hamster who lived till he was 5 (average life span is like 2 year old) died I was distraught!

Ekelektra
11-06-2013, 07:44 AM
I've had two pet rabbits. The first one became ill one day, she wasn't eating or moving really. So we brought her inside and put her in a box where she seemed to get better until she took a bad turn again, and she died while we were at school. We buried her in the garden and my neighbour even came over to help because she would feed her sometimes.

My second rabbit was always trying to escape and one day she did but we found her a few days later. She escaped again some time later and we kinda of assumed she wouldn't be coming back this time, and that was confirmed when we found out she had gone into the neighbour's garden and their dog (which was an ex racing dog) saw her...

The first rabbit I cried a lot because and that might have been because I saw her suffer more. The second rabbit we kind of laughed about because of how she escaped, probably thought she was so clever to get out, wandered into the one house that owns an ex racing dog, and happened to go when the dog was outside (he's an inside one and only comes out a few times a day). It was still sad though but I definitely was more upset about my first rabbit.

Oh and also my primary school used to have a pet cat, and when the person who took care of it moved away my mum started to. The cat was very old though and he became very sick so my mum decided to put him down because he was obviously suffering. It was sad though even though he wasn't our cat, but my family had to go to the school after hours and get him to come into this cat carrier thing. My mum guessed it would be hard to do because he wasn't a people kind of cat, but when we went to get him he simply walked into the carrier without making any fuss at all. It was also sad because again he wasn't ours but he'd been at the school for years and all of the kids including myself had had so much fun trying to spot him.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!