PDA

View Full Version : Getting down to events!

AlexJRiley
11-06-2013, 10:24 PM
So I've noticed a lot of people that normally hang out in the help desk for the majority of the time have been occasionally popping into events. Just out of curiosity I'd like to know what got you to come to events, so we can attempt to expand on this to peak the interest of more users on the forum and attract new users to Habbox events and the forum.

Aiden
11-06-2013, 10:25 PM
boredom lol
and nothing else 2 dolol

Samantha
11-06-2013, 10:34 PM
If no one is in the Help Desk I'll usually go to the event if I'm not busy; it also depends what event it is, I wouldn't go to Fallin' Furni, but I'd go to a weekly one or those that aren't done that often.

MKR&*42
11-06-2013, 10:39 PM
On the flipside, the reason I wouldn't go is because I find certain general events - bingo (team bingo is ok idk why i find them different ok), ff and don't get a carrot/fridge game are such a drag and I'll only go to them if it's late at night and I'm bored.

Seriously, don't get a carrot is the worst game ever I swear.

Mostly just go cause fellow EOs are there and I really enjoy event + what Sam said about weeklies.

FlyingJesus
11-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Depends who's there also if it's something terrible like telephrase I'll prob stay away as you can't have a conversation in that environment

LiquidLuck.
11-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Better prizes. If you only offer 5 rep, everyone will choose furni. Bad thing about this, EO's are giving crappy furni even more often.

Cassiieee
11-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I get bored easily.

MKR&*42
11-06-2013, 10:46 PM
On the topic above^ what do people consider to be decent as a furni prize? I know some EOs give really good prizes @.Cymru. (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=81650); and @Smurfed- (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=80910); have given really generous prizes), but I tend to just stick to "3 decent norms" - usually a club sofa, some divider/corner [not mode] and something else random 'cause I'm not too sure whether 2 decent norms is too little or what.

And yeah I'd much rather have the rep given out increased marginally.

Mr-Trainor
11-06-2013, 10:52 PM
- Someone asks me to go
- I have nothing else to do
I haven't been to a Habbox event for a while though.

Jurv
11-06-2013, 11:11 PM
i usually go to beat rubbish people like Intersocial; at unscramble

Inseriousity.
11-06-2013, 11:12 PM
The rep won't be increased. We have to make sure that it is still more beneficial to earn rep through good quality posts and that anything from elsewhere is just an added bonus rather than an alternative. We are, however, looking at developing a prize system for EOs to earn decent furni to give out and events management will announce that to staff in due course.

MKR&*42
11-06-2013, 11:16 PM
i usually go to beat rubbish people like @Intersocial (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=86637); at unscramble

:@ Sorry mr. anagram solver user.

e5
11-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I've been doing that. Rarely pop into the help desk but when I do and it's empty I search habbox and go to an event. I just go to see other habboxers really lol. Not interested in the actual events tbh

Jurv
11-06-2013, 11:23 PM
:@ Sorry mr. anagram solver user.

my answers always have and always will come from the intelligentness that is jurv

yh i forgot to mention before that i go depending on the event too cos #yolo right

JACKTARD
12-06-2013, 12:45 AM
I suppose it helps if you have a decent section separate to the event within the events room so people who have come but don't want to play can stay there, it helps keep the room high on the navigator too so it's a win win :).

Zelda
12-06-2013, 05:44 AM
I mainly just go to talk to people and afk normally, whether I actually play though would depend on the type of event like most people, if it's anything terribly boring like bingo, telephrase, pod racing, don't get a *insert here*, etc, I'd just afk or chat with people in VIP area lmao.

orientalframe?
12-06-2013, 06:10 AM
i go out of boredom really and see who's there, although with the topic above about prizes i have noticed it slipping so badly - i always feel so bad for the people who don't actually use habbox haha :(

FlyingJesus
12-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Event finished just now and like 5 people asked what Habbox was when the host said what rep was, and these were people who'd been in the event the whole hour or near enough. Community staff representation and advertising 2k13...

Also how long have events staff been split into teams? idk if it's a new thing but I've only noticed it recently and I've noticed it because of how it's caused rifts between staff rather than actually motivating them. Not naming anyone specifically but Cassie and Zebbadi sure do like to moan about Nick whoops

Shar
12-06-2013, 08:15 PM
to add to toms point I've noticed some eos not interacting with people who come to their events and talking away with their friends.I go to events when I'm bored and to talk to people

dbgtz
12-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Help me procrastinate/something to do at midnight.

God
12-06-2013, 08:45 PM
to add to toms point I've noticed some eos not interacting with people who come to their events and talking away with their friends.I go to events when I'm bored and to talk to people

That is too true, but Alex and Martin made a big deal about it a month ago. Nothing really came of it, so....

FlyingJesus
13-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Well if they're not enforcing it then it's pointless to say that it's been added. It's all very well management saying they've added new rules and such but if they're not being followed and no-one's being disciplined for not following them then it amounts to nothing whatsoever

Would be fab to see some level of events/community management taking an active interest in this thread since it directly affects them but maybe I'm asking too much, I mean they DO have to write a report once a week and pretend to be in charge

God
13-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Well if they're not enforcing it then it's pointless to say that it's been added. It's all very well management saying they've added new rules and such but if they're not being followed and no-one's being disciplined for not following them then it amounts to nothing whatsoever

Would be fab to see some level of events/community management taking an active interest in this thread since it directly affects them but maybe I'm asking too much, I mean they DO have to write a report once a week and pretend to be in charge

Well they don't really write the reports, they just use the same one and change the names in it.

BTW @Smurfed- (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=80910); @.Cymru. (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=81650); @Bolt660 (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55726); @dillusinate; get down here. Tom would like you to speak.

Cerys
13-06-2013, 06:22 PM
I go to events when people such as Alex annoy me so much/beg me to visit.
;/

Also if there is noone in the help desk I see if there's an event which everyones at.

Martin
13-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Community interaction during events, advertising etc is something that is constantly brought up to events Organisers and it is always stressed the importance of talking to everyone in the room whilst waiting for the event to get busy, and making sure everyone is feeling welcome and having a good time. Recently this hasn't always been the case and those individuals have been contacted and will continue to be done so- cautions will be issued when necessary.

As for the report comment, as well as reports we do also meet exactly the same minimum in terms of hosting events as the rest of the events staff do, add events where necessary, sort reputation, including adding it all up etc and prizes, raise funds for the department, plan future events and departmental strategies for improvement. We've in fact recently launched something for the team that will encourage them to host events, whilst earning themselves furniture/credits to be used as prizes so that there isn't such a drain on their own personal furniture. We do a weekly leaderboard as well as full monthly reports, and then attend as many events as we can.

I'm not saying things are perfect- they are far from perfect, but as with all feedback- its something to work on, and its quite important that all community staff are representing the site to the fullest potential really, that goes for all community departments including the helpdesk, not just events. I've lost count of the time I've walked into the helpdesk, asked a member of staff something and been met by silence. :P I just think people need to pull together more as a unit and support each others events more whilst ensuring the guests in the room are given maximum priority.

Well they don't really write the reports, they just use the same one and change the names in it.

BTW @Smurfed- (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=80910); @.Cymru. (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=81650); @Bolt660 (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55726); @dillusinate; get down here. Tom would like you to speak.

and there we have confirmation that you never read your reports, perhaps if you had things might not have ended the way they did!

FlyingJesus
13-06-2013, 06:52 PM
I like the enthusiasm but it's simply not getting anywhere - it's all good and well saying that you want your staff to do X Y and Z but the reality of the situation is that none of them are actually doing it with the exception of yourself and Alex. Literally every event has the recurring dialogue of

host: wd furni or rep?
winner: what's rep?
host: rep on hxf
winner: err ok I'll have furni
with zero explanation of what Habbox, the forum, or reputation are, and let's face it just mentioning that a forum exists is not an advertisement or even an attempt at one. There needs to be a bit of personality put into it, with "it a fing on a forom" changed to telling people that they can sign up and gain reputation and prizes around the forum and radio shows as well as the events. It's more effort, yes, but if people just want a bunch of people in their rooms while they host a basic event they can do that without pretending to be part of a fansite community. The whole idea of staff and jobs is that it's a bit of work

Martin
13-06-2013, 07:21 PM
I like the enthusiasm but it's simply not getting anywhere - it's all good and well saying that you want your staff to do X Y and Z but the reality of the situation is that none of them are actually doing it with the exception of yourself and Alex. Literally every event has the recurring dialogue of

with zero explanation of what Habbox, the forum, or reputation are, and let's face it just mentioning that a forum exists is not an advertisement or even an attempt at one. There needs to be a bit of personality put into it, with "it a fing on a forom" changed to telling people that they can sign up and gain reputation and prizes around the forum and radio shows as well as the events. It's more effort, yes, but if people just want a bunch of people in their rooms while they host a basic event they can do that without pretending to be part of a fansite community. The whole idea of staff and jobs is that it's a bit of work

Yep I totally agree, and I just hope that everyone will see this thread and realise its not just us mentioning it, but that it is the general consensus (and common sense really). The example you gave above is quite a worrying explanation of what rep is really, and I think its those kinds of opportunities that would be great for getting new members to sign up and these are being potentially wasted.

We will monitor this a lot more now, and I just hope that the events team will get behind it too and realise that it really benefits everything when its done properly. I've encountered similar in the helpdesk in terms of new members and I feel sometimes more could be done to really showcase the forum and site and get people more interested.

Empired
13-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Well I'm probably very biased because HxHD staff are obviously going to have to spend a lot of time in the help desk.

I find that I only really come to events while everyone else is at school and the help desk is empty. The only other that might attract me is the event host. I'll come along if my friend is hosting (although, honestly, most of the people I liked who hosted events have quit now). I'm not particularly good at many games so I know if I play there's not a chance in hell that I'll win.

I find games like backstabber often repel new users from Habbox in general because if there are lots of people playing who are all friends and there's one new user, they'll be voted out almost straight away. I can see that that kind of experience wouldn't make them want to come back to Habbox events, especially if no one talks to them as well because they're too busy with their current friends.

AlexJRiley
13-06-2013, 07:54 PM
it's all good and well saying that you want your staff to do X Y and Z but the reality of the situation is that none of them are actually doing it with the exception of yourself and Alex. Literally every event has the recurring dialogue of

Out of curiousity is this me or smurfy, because I always try and push people towards joining the forum (during my own event and others) with mentions of competitions, radio etc. I also try and engage with the host of events that im at to get them to explain what the forum is i.e.

Me: Whats rep?
Host: Reputation at hxf
Me: Whats Hxf?
Host: Habboxforum.com
Me: is that some sort of community?
Host: Yeah *blah blah*
Me: With competitions, and a live radio?

Well you can see where that's going.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!