PDA

View Full Version : If you see something wrong..

-:Undertaker:-
22-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Do you speak up? so for example, if you have a kid kicking the back of your chair will you try and ignore it or will you say something? if you see somebody allowing their dog to litter the pavement will you say something? if somebody is swearing around children out in public will you say something?

I increasingly do, whereas I used to simply watch when I was more shy and witdrawn. An examples I can think of in past year have been when some woman walked past my house (and I had just got out of the shower so was dripping wet looking out of the window) and she just allowed her dog to foul on the pavement infront of my house - so I quickly pulled some clothes on, ran and grabbed a plastic bag, picked it up and literally ran down the street where I then confronted her (she was old too!) and said how she should know better at her age and how children/prams are stepping in her mess and that it's not on. Safe to say I have since seen her walking past and she now picks up the dog mess as she should.

So anybody have any stories like that or will you usually just sit back and not cause a kerfuffle?

AgnesIO
22-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I thoroughly enjoy picking up rubbish that I see people drop and hand it to them and explain to them what a bin is.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Cerys
22-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Well yeah tbh. With the baby kicking my chair example I'd kindly ask the parents of the baby to get it to stop.

But if it's a situation which is threatening, like seeing someone get mugged, to be honest I'd stay clear of it. Yeah I know this is bad, but I guess in moments like that you don't know if the mugger has a weapon, and if you approached him/her, would they lash out and put your own life in danger?

I guess I'm saying if it doesn't put me in danger, I'd happily speak up

MKR&*42
22-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I didn't use to, but more recently I find myself doing it. I'll happily tell someone if they're pissing me off or doing something wrong in most situations. With the kid though, I prob. wouldn't as it's more likely to just kick harder or the parents will give me an evil look.

Sho
22-06-2013, 03:14 PM
I didn't use to but I've recently started to speak up more. I'd probably leave the kid alone in hope that he'll eventually get bored and stop, but I was on a bus once and a kid kept kicking the back of my chair for over an hour so I eventually said something so I guess I just have a lot of patience when it comes to children :P.

I'll happily tell someone if they're pissing me off or doing something wrong in most situations.
Pretty much this for me too.

Inseriousity.
22-06-2013, 03:23 PM
It takes a lot to irritate me so the only time I'd ever speak up is if it's having a continuous negative impact on my life which would limit it to friends or family.

Samantha
22-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not too sure as recently I haven't noticed it, I'm more confident now so I'd consider saying something. However, if like Cerys said someone was being mugged I would rather call the police or something than go confront them, I've never had to call the emergency services, but I wouldn't just allow someone to be mugged or attacked etc. either.

Empired
22-06-2013, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't usually complain if a kid was kicking my chair unless I was on a plane. I am fed up with having to sit on an umpteen hour flight with some spoiled child sitting behind me screaming because he's not allowed to play on the Cbeebies website while the plane is taking off.

Otherwise, I'm happy to tell a total stranger off. Especially if it's in a public place because then I feel like I'm personally putting them in the stocks (H) I wouldn't tell an acquaintance I knew from school or something though. Too scared of being judged :'(

But the looks some people give you when you tell them to pick up their rubbish.. Jesus Christ, you'd think you'd asked them to pick up their crisp packet and choke on it.

Daltron
22-06-2013, 11:52 PM
It depends a lot, if someone is doing something directly affecting me, for example talking right behind me in a 4 hour uni lecture or pressing up on my seat (Just trying to think of an example) then I will ask them to stop and make it a huge, loud, known issue to everyone if they continue. If it's something not directly affecting me I would still do something unless it was going to put me in danger ie at night time or no people about if something escalated!

Sloths
23-06-2013, 02:40 AM
Nope.. I'm way too shy I'd rather put up with it for however long than say something about it. Ew like the other day this guy in the cinema stuck his feet up on the seat like 4 seats down from me and he'd removed his shoes and stank the place out I didn't even say anything then, like I should have, I just shoved my scarf over my face. :/

Meanies
23-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Depends how much something is annoying me, would probably have to get to 8/10 on the annoyance scale before I say anything

Ekelektra
23-06-2013, 03:08 AM
No I don't speak up, I'm also too shy!

My mum often speaks up and I hate it. For example the other day my brother wanted this computer game and I went to buy it for him. There were 2 versions, a normal one ($60) and a special edition ($65) and we kinda decided it didn't matter which one but I took up the special edition to the counter anyway just because. Then the guy took it, looked at it, and turned around to get the cover with the actual disc in it, then came back and said it was $60. I didn't even realise that he had given us the normal edition until we went away but my brother had realised we had paid $5 less so he told me and I was kinda like 'oh meh doesn't even matter' and he agreed but my mum took it back to the counter and asked to swap it over, and I just walked away because I was upset she was making a huge deal over this thing that my brother and I, the people who were actually the ones who were going to play it, didn't think was worth the fuss.

Another time I bought 2 iced chocolates but when I was waiting for them the manager of the shop kept on calling out that an order of 2 iced coffees were ready, but no one was going up because they were ours but the girl had put in iced coffees instead of chocolates. I guess it's a simple mistake because I'm pretty sure she was new, and they both cost the same, she just keyed in the wrong thing, or heard me wrong. And I told the manager that it was fine and I'd take the coffees instead but she insisted I wait and made them again, then she started yelling at the girl who took the order and I felt so terrible omg.

Negativities
23-06-2013, 06:24 AM
I can say I am the same way. I prefer the things that won't effect me in life not bother me, or else everyday would be a constant stress.

Samantha.
23-06-2013, 08:10 AM
I never used to say anything and just ignored it but as I've gotten older I've started to say stuff to someone if it's annoying me like a baby kicking the back of my chair! I guess if its something little I would probably ignore it as it's not really affecting me.

-:Undertaker:-
23-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Mmmm weird, most of you seem to only speak up when it directly affects you.

I suppose that's kind of true even with me, but its becoming less so.

Paige.
23-06-2013, 12:42 PM
i mostly always speak up if i see something wrong but if it's only a little thing i won't bother cause it's not worth a possible argument or awkward atmosphere
i've never not intervened when i've seen someone being picked on at school for example or if someone or a group of people are deliberately being annoying and nobody else wants to speak up

Eric
23-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Yes, when things really piss me off like how the haze today is becoming so serious that it could cause deaths and my neighbour is still burning their dead leaves at the backyard. I just went there and told them off. I do that in public too if i'm really annoyed by their actions

Stephen
23-06-2013, 01:23 PM
i wouldn't go picking up random dog **** because some kid could step in it

wtf is wrong with you

I'd watch outside my window waiting for the moment someone did

dbgtz
23-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Only if it directly affects and frustrates me to a significant degree me or affects someone else to a significant degree where they cannot speak for or defend themselves.

geo
23-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Not much. I'm shy about stuff like speaking to people I don't know and trying to get them to stop annoying me, so I rarely do it. A few times I've told people to stop kicking my chair but that's only if they're younger than me, otherwise I'd just move seats because I'm too much of a wimp to do it to older teenagers in worry that they'll argue back. My mum and dad do usually speak up though and correct people, although when my mum does it I get all mad at her because she's quite rude about it uh

Shar
23-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I do if its really bothering me otherwise I just let it go.

Derrener
23-06-2013, 01:55 PM
I didn't used to speak up , but i'm slowly starting to

Adam
23-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I used to get myself into trouble (not with authority or anything) by speaking out for myself and close friends back when I was at school. It's not worth it in the long run, as soon as I spoke out and approached the offending party I would be alone because nobody would back me up. I used to get beat up quite a bit because of it but as I got older I've learnt to hold back because it's simply not worth it. It takes all of my might because I'm naturally angry and impulsive so anybody trying to anger me gets to me rather quickly. It's a skill I've learnt and perfected, until now it seems anyway, but one that I shouldn't have to.

Phil
23-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't speak up very often. If it was someone I knew I'd defo say something and be like "cop on". If it was someone I didn't know I wouldn't say anything but I would throw them the dirtiest look and if I'm with something I'll probably vocalise it to them (loud enough so the person can hear). I'm horrid.

I spend quite a lot of time shouting at drivers in other cars alright :P

e5
24-06-2013, 08:37 AM
I love saying this to people about things they've done. I'm guilty for the dog poo thing (and I think the sign around my street is aimed at me) so I don't on that but things like people putting their feet on my cinema chair, I'll say something. If I hear someone loudly and over swearing infront of kids, I have in the past said, mate... there's kids around and they've often shut up, some scruffs just say they don't care... i probably wouldn't carry on the argument if they argue back because it means they're probs harder than me LOL. Key is to pick your target, go for someone that will listen to you ;)

buttons
30-06-2013, 04:33 PM
lol it's amusing, ive noticed how humanity turns a blind eye. ive thought about how like if i saw someone with a knife in a bus looking dodgy, i wouldn't want to tell the bus driver etc incase i was WRONG god forbid and caused a scene. we worry about being wrong or bringing attention to ourselves rather than potentially save or help someone :/.

recently ive become so outspoken. if someone said something rude to or about me id leave it in fear of what else they would say. or just wouldn't say anything in general incase they retaliated by personally attacking me but now i give as good as i get, it shocks people but i feel you gain more respect standing up for yourself than being quiet and 'not stooping to their level.' i would worry people would lose respect for me if i retaliated and got rude with someone as im generally the opposite, but now i don't let others talk **** to me.

often enough i just give a ***** face to people doing something i find offensive or w.e and if they ask if i have a problem id tell them why. the other day my mum, the one person I'd have never spoken against or back to, was doing her people pleasing act laughing along at the racist man next to us until i told her to stop people pleasing and talking to racists and it shut them both up. people are so scared to speak out, i actually get a bit of a thrill to speak out lol you'll find that once you do, it gives courage to others to do the same but alas many of us are still too focused on ourselves and worrying about how they'll look rather than help another person.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!