PDA

View Full Version : Protein Powder Advice

Daltron
24-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Today at the supermarket I was getting a few things and they had protein powder for $15 marked down from $60 so I bought some! There is however very little information on the bottle/box whatever it's called.

I work out quite a lot and have looked online at these sorta things before but never really tried it out. I find that with my workouts I'm sorta just maintaining my weight not really building muscle mass or anything like that. Have any of you Habboxers tried these powders before and know how effective they are?

The bottle literally just has a logo, a list of ingredients with nutritional information and the title Soy Protein. Do you think I should try this out pre or post workout and what should I be mixing it with? (It smells really good, I have a feeling milk)

Thanks if anyone knows anything about these powders!

Mark
24-06-2013, 07:12 AM
The only person I can think of from the top of my head would be Zak;
Sorry I can't help much more than that :(

Zak
24-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi Daltron,

I'm no expert, I've just gone on what a lot of people tell me and my own personal experience. I've never used Soy Protein, most people I've spoke to use Whey Protein (if any at all). A lot of cheap protein powders are full of carbs so you end up putting on weight - I used to use protein from www.myprotein.co.uk (http://www.myprotein.co.uk) before I stopped taking it altogether.

If you work out a lot protein shakes are probably going to be beneficial to you - a quick convienient way to get the protein you need to repair your muscle. Personally I no longer use protein shakes and haven't for about a year and a half. I only go to the gym once a week and to be honest I can eat the protein I need in a balanced diet, so there's really no need for me to take them. Plus who knows what chemicals and substances are really in some protein shakes.

Example:

The two Muscle Milk powders tested were found to contain all four of the heavy metals. The average levels of Cadmium in them were 5.6 microgram in three daily servings which exceeded the USP limit of 5 microgram per day. Lead turned out to be 13.5 microgram which was higher that the USP limit of 10 microgram per day whereas the average level of Arsenic at 12.2 microgram was approaching the USP limit of 15 microgram per day.

The ready-to-drink liquid EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake contained high levels of two potentially dangerous chemicals; arsenic and cadmium. The shake provide an average of 16.9 micrograms (µg) of arsenic, exceeding the proposed USP limit of 15 µg per day and an average of 5.1 µg of cadmium, which is just above the USP limit of 5 µg per day.

I'm pretty sure your body can only absorb so much protein as well, so be sure not to drink copious amounts. I stopped drinking protein shakes because I thought it was affecting my health. I came off them and it made absolutely no difference.. but I still decided not to take them ever again. Work hard in the gym, make your muscles bleed and take your protein shake after your workout. I used to mix mine with Milk. Dedication is the key to building muscle.

Hope this helped

Chippiewill
24-06-2013, 08:36 AM
In my personal unprofessional opinion you should not take Protein shakes under the age of 18 as excessive muscle growth at a younger age can lead to complications later on and that's ignoring the dubious content of them to begin with.

Daltron
24-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks for taking the time to give all that advice Zak; and Chippiewill; I am over 18 but definitely still growing so I will keep that in mind! After a little bit of research myself I think I should have bought whey but I don't think it was on sale. I will take this for a few days and see how I feel

---------- Post added 24-06-2013 at 06:49 PM ----------
Zak; would I expect significant weight gain with these powders?

Zak
24-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I would expect some weight gain but if you want to put on mass why not try weight gainer? Before I started working out I was 10 stone 7 and now I'm 14 stone 4. I'm a bit stuck now though as I have a thyroid problem (probably caused by candida overgrowth) because of a water infection that I recieved antibiotics for. Plus the fact I have an office job and I probably sit down for 12? hours a day - So I'm really putting on weight now.

It's quite depressing really but it's not like I worked that hard to get the muscle I have, I just gave it my all in the gym, ate what I wanted when I wanted and kept it to 1 or 2 workouts a week. I see a lot of people trying to bulk though and they just fail because they simply don't eat enough.

noddy
24-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I have a shake occasionally, if I dont hit my macros for the day. I do however prefer to eat my protein than drink. I too get it from Myprotein. When I'm bulking I get some instant oats in there as well, it doesn't taste very good but i just chug it down. If your weight is maintaining, eat more!

---------- Post added 24-06-2013 at 06:08 PM ----------

In my personal unprofessional opinion you should not take Protein shakes under the age of 18 as excessive muscle growth at a younger age can lead to complications later on and that's ignoring the dubious content of them to begin with.

lol. Protein shakes do not magically make your muscles grow, it is just a supplement to replace protein you'd get from other sources, eg chicken.

Zak
24-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Just to emphasize the weight gain and muscle mass.

Here's me quite a long time before I started. I used to think I was so cool bless me :P

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vun1p0.jpg

And here is me on holiday (last one was on holiday too)..

http://i44.tinypic.com/f3ta1u.jpg

I was skinny once too!

Yes I realise most of the muscle is on my arms as that's what I train the most. :P & they're my girlfriend's sunglasses! NOT MINE

noddy
24-06-2013, 10:08 PM

Here's me quite a long time before I started. I used to think I was so cool bless me :P

I was skinny once too!

Yes I realise most of the muscle is on my arms as that's what I train the most. :P & they're my girlfriend's sunglasses! NOT MINE

mirin transformation

Daltron
25-06-2013, 01:28 AM

I was skinny once too!

That's incredible

Adam
25-06-2013, 11:23 AM
This protein powder fad is the biggest scam in history. Just drink milk.

Milarz
27-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Some protein shakes don't do anything, some make you a little stronger & only a couple make you bigger (more muscles). If you wanna get bigger, Egg White is the best in the world. 3 times a day for 2 months, work out 5 times a week, you'll be big in no time.

Zak
27-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Protein shakes don't make you stronger or bigger.. They don't do anything unless you exercise. Egg white is very good yes but 5 times a week? I doubt anyone on here has the determination or time to work out *properly* 5 times a week.

Milarz
27-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Protein shakes don't make you stronger or bigger.. They don't do anything unless you exercise. Egg white is very good yes but 5 times a week? I doubt anyone on here has the determination or time to work out *properly* 5 times a week.

The thread was about exercise & protein, didn't think I needed to mention "exercise". Five times a week for an hour or two? A lot of people are up for that + do that. I used to do it. If somebody wants to get stronger or bigger.. then of course they would. This is what the thread is all about, so there is your answer.

Zak
27-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Some protein shakes don't do anything, some make you a little stronger & only a couple make you bigger (more muscles).

That sounds like you are saying that protein shakes make the difference, not the exercise :P

The thread was about exercise & protein, didn't think I needed to mention "exercise". Five times a week for an hour or two? A lot of people are up for that + do that. I used to do it. If somebody wants to get stronger or bigger.. then of course they would. This is what the thread is all about, so there is your answer.

You proved my point exactly, you used to do it. I'm sure a lot of people start off ridiculous but hardly any of them keep it up unless it's their job/part of their job. People have to be realistic about what they're going to be able to maintain.. as dedication is a key factor in gaining both mass and muscle.

Milarz
27-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes, I "used" to do it because I used to be a professional wrestler. I don't really care about it anymore. Other people do, this is in reply to the thread, so don't know what you're on about. However, to maintain weight, it's best to use any other protein that Egg White and work out every now & then. Can't really help you out on that one.

Zak
27-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Using the term *professional* very loosely there I'm sure :P Wrestlers just shoot themselves full of god knows what - or used to. :P

Adam
27-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Using the term *professional* very loosely there I'm sure :P Wrestlers just shoot themselves full of god knows what - or used to. :P
The ignorance is strong in this one.

Chippiewill
27-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Most professionals do some form of drugs.

Adam
27-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Most professionals do some form of drugs.
That wasn't the accusation, though.

noddy
27-06-2013, 05:52 PM

i do :¬:

Zak
27-06-2013, 07:21 PM
The ignorance is strong in this one.

Lmao how stupid are you? How do you think they all were so big working a schedule like that?

I suppose a link like this http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/257371/109-wrestlers-die-in-a-decade.html is just propaganda? :P Wrestlers used to be my idols until I realised 99% of them are drug addicts, it's not their fault though, they had to in order to keep their jobs.

I'm also with Chippiewill with most pros do drugs.

Adam
27-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Lmao how stupid are you? How do you think they all were so big working a schedule like that?

I suppose a link like this http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/257371/109-wrestlers-die-in-a-decade.html is just propaganda? :P Wrestlers used to be my idols until I realised 99% of them are drug addicts, it's not their fault though, they had to in order to keep their jobs.

I'm also with Chippiewill with most pros do drugs.
Ah yes the reliable source known as The Sun. Listen, as a lifelong professional wrestling advocate I can tell you that if you came up with this tripe in the 1980's then sure I would've given you it. In the 1990's I would've argued the toss and probably would've lost. In this 00's there are now mandatory drugs test which you might want to research, commonly known as the 'wellness policy' which places all workers under the same scrutiny that legal workers have. I assume you've done your research on this though, no? Surprising.

Sir, wrestlers take drugs, yes, because they're constantly in pain because they put their bodies on the line every night for OUR entertainment but those drugs are nothing more than Vicodin, sir. The lifestyle that they choose outside of their professional wrestling career is completely up to them and also completely not to be associated with professional wrestling.

I like that you assume they're on drugs because they're muscular. Here's a thing: maybe they work hard? I think you should REALLY do some research into a schedule of a professional wrestler including their meals and workout routines. I'll give you an example: google everything on Ryan Reeves. He looks like he takes steroids/growth hormones and the lot, right? Okay so now let's share the facts: the guy is an absolute machine and eats over 10,000 calories a day and works out twice a day for 1-2 hours at a time, maybe more. That's on top of his wrestling commitments. He looks like that because of his diet and hard work, not because of ******* drugs.

You're ignorant. Do some research.

Zak
27-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Ah yes the reliable source known as The Sun. Listen, as a lifelong professional wrestling advocate I can tell you that if you came up with this tripe in the 1980's then sure I would've given you it. In the 1990's I would've argued the toss and probably would've lost. In this 00's there are now mandatory drugs test which you might want to research, commonly known as the 'wellness policy' which places all workers under the same scrutiny that legal workers have. I assume you've done your research on this though, no? Surprising.

Sir, wrestlers take drugs, yes, because they're constantly in pain because they put their bodies on the line every night for OUR entertainment but those drugs are nothing more than Vicodin, sir. The lifestyle that they choose outside of their professional wrestling career is completely up to them and also completely not to be associated with professional wrestling.

I like that you assume they're on drugs because they're muscular. Here's a thing: maybe they work hard? I think you should REALLY do some research into a schedule of a professional wrestler including their meals and workout routines. I'll give you an example: google everything on Ryan Reeves. He looks like he takes steroids/growth hormones and the lot, right? Okay so now let's share the facts: the guy is an absolute machine and eats over 10,000 calories a day and works out twice a day for 1-2 hours at a time, maybe more. That's on top of his wrestling commitments. He looks like that because of his diet and hard work, not because of ******* drugs.

You're ignorant. Do some research.

Lmao, really? It's not even worth the argument :P haha.

Adam
27-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Lmao, really? It's not even worth the argument :P haha.
Excellent rebuttal, thanks for proving my point.

Chippiewill
27-06-2013, 09:39 PM
If you wanted a proper rebuttal:

All your evidence is anecdotal therefore it's moot.

Daltron
27-06-2013, 11:12 PM
thanks guys lol

Adam
28-06-2013, 09:00 AM
If you wanted a proper rebuttal:

All your evidence is anecdotal therefore it's moot.

As is the accusing party's.

Chippiewill
28-06-2013, 09:20 AM
As is the accusing party's.
You're the one who wanted a proper argument, not me.

Adam
28-06-2013, 09:50 AM
You're the one who wanted a proper argument, not me.
just defending a profession that has no adversaries to defend itself. ******** on something with no knowledge shows ignorance.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!