PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Back to School promotion - launching tomorrow and to include the iPhone?

Mr-Trainor
01-07-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm planning on buying a MBA soon, and so I might do so while this promotion is on. I just saw on MacRumors that it'll be launching tomorrow and interestingly it'll include the iPhone for the first time. Although, with the next iPhone coming out in a few months time I won't be bothering to buy one now :P.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/01/apple-set-to-launch-annual-back-to-school-promotion-iphone-included-for-first-time/

Ashley
03-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I was hoping they would release the rMBP refresh before the promotion. Maybe they're waiting for the promotion to reduce the stock of the current rMBPs before they release the new ones. They're probably doing the same with the iPhone too, since their refresh should be coming soon.

dbgtz
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Schools and students shouldn't waste money on anything Apple.

Mr-Trainor
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I was hoping they would release the rMBP refresh before the promotion. Maybe they're waiting for the promotion to reduce the stock of the current rMBPs before they release the new ones. They're probably doing the same with the iPhone too, since their refresh should be coming soon.
Yeah definitely, that's probably the reason they've added the iPhone to it.

How is it a 'waste' of money exactly :P?

dbgtz
03-07-2013, 10:40 PM
How is it a 'waste' of money exactly :P?

Because you can get similar pc/android products for a cheaper price (or for the same price you get far more for your money)?

today
03-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Because you can get similar pc/android products for a cheaper price (or for the same price you get far more for your money)?
Depends on the school / college / uni type.

You'll find Apple is very popular with Graphic Designers and some Gaming Designers thus they'll use Apple.

dbgtz
03-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Depends on the school / college / uni type.

You'll find Apple is very popular with Graphic Designers and some Gaming Designers thus they'll use Apple.

Yes but you'll also find it doesn't matter (at least for students) as the software is the same...

Ashley
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM

In terms of computing Apple's hardware is unrivaled and if you want a similarly made PC you will be paying a similar price (e.g. Razer Blade). Yes, you can get a PC with better specs for a cheaper price, but it's very unlikely you'll get the same support Apple offers, the same quality hardware, and OS X (assuming most students don't know how to or don't want to build a Hackintosh). The specs Apple computers offer are suitable for even the heaviest graphics/games designers, music producers, engineers, etc. and the only people who would need higher specs would be gamers -- who would never be considering a Mac in the first place. However, I agree with you that many Android phones and tablets are better than what Apple offers.

If students can afford it they will be getting what they're paying for and a future-proof product that will last them for many years.

today
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes but you'll also find it doesn't matter (at least for students) as the software is the same...

Actually you'll find some Students prefer Macs for designing due to the ease and UI, as with other factors playing a part.

JACKTARD
04-07-2013, 12:23 AM
I'm planning on buying a MBA soon, and so I might do so while this promotion is on. I just saw on MacRumors that it'll be launching tomorrow and interestingly it'll include the iPhone for the first time. Although, with the next iPhone coming out in a few months time I won't be bothering to buy one now :P.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/01/apple-set-to-launch-annual-back-to-school-promotion-iphone-included-for-first-time/

If you're going to uni wait until you get your uni email!!
You get hundreds off when you're a uni student!

Aaron
04-07-2013, 12:43 AM
I always get mail from them about 'Going to College? How about a MacBook' yeah, no thanks. :)

Daltron
04-07-2013, 02:25 AM
get emails about this all the time too

apple seems to be a big thing at my law school, no apple macbook and you're a loser :p

Mr-Trainor
04-07-2013, 08:58 AM
If you're going to uni wait until you get your uni email!!
You get hundreds off when you're a uni student!
Yeah I'm definitely waiting :P. Idk if I'm even going to uni yet.

Jack!
04-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Actually you'll find some Students prefer Macs for designing due to the ease and UI, as with other factors playing a part.

This, as a Student myself I would be lost without my Mac.

Better battery life, better OS, better hardware, better software, you get what you pay for.

AgnesIO
04-07-2013, 01:16 PM

This may be the case, but reading the original quote, he does also specify schools - and he is quite right, when looking at the standard school Macs offer absolutely no benefits over Windows - apart from being an absolute arse for students who want to bring work over from home, but use Windows PC's. Oh, and I know there is a Microsoft Office for Mac OSX - but it is a ghastly product compared to the Windows counterpart.

This, as a Student myself I would be lost without my Mac.

Better battery life, better OS, better hardware, better software, you get what you pay for.

Better OS = 100% down to opinion
Better Hardware = Design generally better, insides depend on what you pay for
Better software = I don't even know where to start.

today
04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
This will forever be a Mc vs Windows thread so I don't see the point in trying to justify the reason for some schools / colleges and uni's to use Mac's, and some don't.

Jack!
04-07-2013, 03:05 PM

This may be the case, but reading the original quote, he does also specify schools - and he is quite right, when looking at the standard school Macs offer absolutely no benefits over Windows - apart from being an absolute arse for students who want to bring work over from home, but use Windows PC's. Oh, and I know there is a Microsoft Office for Mac OSX - but it is a ghastly product compared to the Windows counterpart.

Better OS = 100% down to opinion
Better Hardware = Design generally better, insides depend on what you pay for
Better software = I don't even know where to start.

I used to be an avid Windows User till I got my Macbook, I agree the OS is down to opinion, but IMO its just so much.. easier and fluid to use.

Hardware - I love the design, the insides can't really be grumbled at, i5 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, Flash based, considering for something with the same build quality and the same specifications you are going to be paying the same amount, Which is one of them new Razer laptops.

Software - I just find that software built for Mac is again, higher quality, easier to use, runs better, however again thats probably opinion.

lemons
04-07-2013, 03:12 PM
My school had a room filled with about 20 Mac's and after about 6 months they were all stolen :l

I liked using them for media studies

AgnesIO
04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
I used to be an avid Windows User till I got my Macbook, I agree the OS is down to opinion, but IMO its just so much.. easier and fluid to use.

Hardware - I love the design, the insides can't really be grumbled at, i5 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, Flash based, considering for something with the same build quality and the same specifications you are going to be paying the same amount, Which is one of them new Razer laptops.

Software - I just find that software built for Mac is again, higher quality, easier to use, runs better, however again thats probably opinion.

As someone who uses BOTH OSX and Windows still, I would personally pick Windows - having said that I do enjoy OSX too.

The hardware stuff; definitely the designs are beautiful (although I think Windows manufacturers are finally bringing out incredible designs too (the Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook is an example in my opinion). The insides are not standard - and any computer can come out with 16gb ram, core i5 etc - and other companies are less likely to charge £160 for the privilege of going from 8gb to 16gb lol

Software built for Mac in some cases is great, although I think for a standard student (who needs productivity tools such as a word processor), Windows comes out on top every time. Having said that, I prefer using Photoshop on Mac, I don't know why as the Windows version is the same - it just feels, well, right.

xxMATTGxx
05-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I swear these threads always turn like this.

AgnesIO
05-07-2013, 10:48 AM
I swear these threads always turn like this.

Nothing wrong with friendly conversation, Matt.

xxMATTGxx
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Nothing wrong with friendly conversation, Matt.

Never said there was. Just some what repetitive! :P

All of this should be down to personal preference on the machine they want. Now we just need the thread where you get can get Windows/Office cheap for students! That's if they are still doing that or will do that this year.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!