PDA

View Full Version : Jury Service

Mikey
06-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi guys,

I have jury service at the High Court in Glasgow on Monday and I don't really know what to expect, also a bit nervous aswell haha. Has anyone ever had jury service? Any experiences about it?

lemons
06-07-2013, 04:01 PM
My sister did it not long ago and she said it's very interesting and you learn a lot

Empired
06-07-2013, 04:13 PM
I thought you weren't supposed to tell people when and where you're doing it lol?

Good luck anyway, just make sure you're paying attention all the time. My mum said when she did it most of the people who were there didn't turn up. Make sure to follow the rules as well, one girl on my mum's "jury team" got her phone out during the trial and was kicked out straight away! I assume she was fined after as well or something, the court doesn't take that sort of thing lightly..

Also, if it says turn up at 11am I suggest you turn up an hour early at the very least!

iBlueBox
06-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah your not allowed to post about it online,

Cerys
06-07-2013, 04:47 PM
My form tutor went to it last week - she said it was amazing :)

You're not allowed to talk about it whilst it is going on, but you can talk about it after.
Basically you just sit there and listen, then come to a decision. Though it can be realllyy long and boring.

You're so lucky, though!

Inseriousity.
06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Take something to do, you'll mostly be sat waiting. Don't expect a court case, I never actually got one and it's all luck (or unlucky I suppose if it's a boring one) of the draw.

-:Undertaker:-
06-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Take something to do, you'll mostly be sat waiting. Don't expect a court case, I never actually got one and it's all luck (or unlucky I suppose if it's a boring one) of the draw.

This - haven't done it myself (thank heavens) but heard it's mostly sitting around.

Martin
06-07-2013, 08:27 PM
I got called up for it a few months ago, ended up travelling 22 miles just to sit in a room for several hours (there was a 2 hour lunch break too), they provided food on this card thing which gives you a budget per day for food in their canteen. They show you a video about the procedures and explaining your role etc. Then someone comes in calls all the names for a trial out and they all get taken out of the jury room and into the court. Then the rest of you go home, but you have to call in this special answering machine the next day and if your alphanumerical code is read out you either have to go in, remain on standby or you are completely released, meaning you dont have to go back.

I ended up not needing to go again :P and I'm glad because the people in my group got a high case murder trial that lasted 7 weeks :P

Mikey
06-07-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm sure your allowed to say when your doing it but obviously not about the case itself. Thanks guys anyway, hopefully I'll be in for at least a day or two and not any longer, sure it will be interesting but it's summer! :)

Negativities
07-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Don't be nervous. Look at this as a learning experience. You aren't in trouble, and you get to be the guy who helps determine the punishment that the defendant shall receive or not receive.

Look at this as a learning opportunity!

Good luck.

Empired
07-07-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm sure your allowed to say when your doing it but obviously not about the case itself. Thanks guys anyway, hopefully I'll be in for at least a day or two and not any longer, sure it will be interesting but it's summer! :)
Obviously you can tell people you're going to do jury service because otherwise that would cause complications with having to leave your job inexplicably for months. But you really can't tell people where you've been summoned to or anything about the case because it would be so easy for the person on trial to find you.

You're not allowed to say anything other than that you're going to do jury service until after the case is over and the judge has discharged you.

Cerys
07-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Still very jealous of you ;/

+ Yeah, it's all about luck on which case you get; if you actually even get a case!

From what I remember, many people are called, and then the court takes a number of people to a case via ballot, then they narrow this number of people down again via ballot. I think they take the first number of people as a backup just in case a member can't sit on the jury as, for example, they know the defendant.
Before you sit on the jury, you're sworn in. And then you must come up with a unanimous decision, or if that's not possible, a 10:2 decision. :)

Samantha.
07-07-2013, 03:57 PM
My friend did it last summer, she said it's really interesting but she did get bored as you do sit around a lot and wait!

Like others have said, you may not even get onto a case. It's something like half of you get chosen and then few get chosen out of that half or something like that!

Mikey
24-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I know it's a bit late but yes I got a case and I was on the jury for a week and a half, trust me to be picked! I found it really soul destroying and rather depressing because of the nature of the case, but on the other hand I found parts of it interesting and it gave me a insight into what happens in a actual court room after talking about courts and the law etc. when doing Media Law as part of my course in college. I didn't like the thought of the person that was accused being so close to you and I could see him in the corner of my eye looking at us all in the jury. Won't have to do it for five years but yeah not an experience I want to do again, hopefully I'll get the Sheriff Court if I'm picked in five years.

Cerys
26-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I know it's a bit late but yes I got a case and I was on the jury for a week and a half, trust me to be picked! I found it really soul destroying and rather depressing because of the nature of the case, but on the other hand I found parts of it interesting and it gave me a insight into what happens in a actual court room after talking about courts and the law etc. when doing Media Law as part of my course in college. I didn't like the thought of the person that was accused being so close to you and I could see him in the corner of my eye looking at us all in the jury. Won't have to do it for five years but yeah not an experience I want to do again, hopefully I'll get the Sheriff Court if I'm picked in five years.

What was it about?

I'm SO Jealous of you! My form tutor got a case about a month ago - two drug dealers.
I think that the experience you gain from the case is very great, you get a huge view of law and the people around you etc

Yawn
26-07-2013, 01:46 PM
sounds interesting

JACKTARD
26-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Noone i know other than my mum has ever had to do jury duty. She ended up not doing it anyway because at the time my brother and sister were young and it was a nightmare so she got out of it. I'd quite like to do it but not for a really serious case as I wouldn't want that responsibility.

Ardemax
26-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Well done for doing your bit! :P

I'm not sure if I'd want to do it, nothing I've really thought about before. I guess it could be annoying if you had like an important work assignment to finish and you were away for pretty much 2 months :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!