PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense

Jazz
17-07-2013, 06:40 PM
My friend was discussing Self Defense on his show today, and when and when not to do it and it sparked a massive debate over Assault etc. I saw a lot of comments like 'If you hit them, you are as bad as them', I don't think thats the case at all personally. For me, I would defend myself. I would feel an amazing amount of guilt after the event, but I would certainly defend myself. I would make sure they we're down and then get out as fast as possible.

I'm not too sure if I would kill, or aim to kill someone if they we're attacking me. I hate to say that I have defended myself using violence a couple of times, not a proud feeling for me, makes me feel sick thinking about it but I realize it was necessary.

If you we're put in a situation where you could could to harm, either emotionally or physically.. Would you defend yourself? Or would you run away/let them continue? Have you had to defend yourself?

Cerys
17-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Hm

If I did ever have to use self defense, I'd only use equal and reasonable force back at them.
E.g if they punched me, I'd punch them back, not break their neck. xD But if I could run away in a situation like that *they punched me* I would. Wouldn't want to risk getting the police on me.

Daltron
18-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Depends on the situation, if someone punched me I would probably punch them back etc, same force and what not. But say someone was in my house in the middle of the night robbing me or trying to hurt me or something (idk trying to think of a situation) I would certainly go beyond whatever means to ensure I am 100% safe.

geo
18-07-2013, 09:40 AM
if somebody punched me i'd let it slide, but if they went to punch me again that's when i'd start fighting back unless i knew i could get away quick rather than be in a fight. i think it's okay to fight back imo, why should you let somebody that's treated you like **** get away with it.

if i was attacked i'd try defending myself. if it was the case that i was walking alone and somebody tried to attack me, i'd defend myself and try hurting them enough so i have the time to run away.

if somebody had got into our house i'd like to think i'd be brave enough to defend myself and get them out of there. i'd probably just try finding a hard object and knock them around the head (IF THEY WERE ARMED) or the legs so they can't run or something ;| i've thought way too much into this

noddy
18-07-2013, 10:27 AM
i would defend myself and anyone i was with to the best of my ability, why would you let someone attacking you carry on or get away with it?

.:Wahu:.
18-07-2013, 10:34 AM
That's why I learnt karate so I could defend myself. However, what we learnt was not to attack first, to back up and try to get out of the situation, using karate would be last resort. If someone hit me I would defend myself but not hit back until I felt necessary to do so. Never using excessive force but enough so I have a chance to get the freak out of there.

Zelda
18-07-2013, 10:35 AM
If someone attacks me now I will definitely fight back cause I'm fed up with letting them beat me up in the past to avoid getting into trouble, and I know I would be able to fend myself decently.

Only ever actually fought back at someone once before so far though which was when I got really fed up with this person's bullying so kicked them in the balls and lo and behind they stopped bullying me in future

Absently
18-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I'd always defend myself no matter what, luckily I've never actually been in the situation to have to. Although, quite recently, I was attacked as a person. Some guy kept calling me and my friend a ***** and a ****, I was really PMT at the time and went to hit him, but decided against it because I knew I'd be thrown out, so just grabbed his face really tightly and shook him. Now everyone thinks I hit him though haha. I normally wouldn't be like that if someone was insulting me though.

Lewis
18-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Anyone who thinks return-violence / self defense is bad, well they're definitely wrong:

If someone is attacking you, you have the right to protect yourself from harm. You have the right to hit them 10x harder. You have the right to grab a hard object, knock 'em out to stop em.
If you don't use self defense, you would probably be in a corner bleeding right now. Very unlikely you can just get away by running.

If someone is trying to kill you, as awful as it may be, you have to protect yourself. And if it turns out you have to become the person that kills, it's fine. You had no choice. It was either your life, or someone that was trying to kill you.
If you don't use self defense, please move into the light :)? Very unlikely you got away with someone with a gun or a knife.

Of course though, if there's people around you in a public area, these things shouldn't be done. You have others around you, as witnesses and HOPEFULLY good people to help you.

Yawn
18-07-2013, 11:31 AM
im a *REMOVED* i hate confrontation but i guess u gota do wat cha gota do in the heat of the moment

so just grabbed his face really tightly and shook himlol thats funny

Edited by Dilusionate (Forum Moderator): Please do not avoid the filter, thanks!

Shar
20-07-2013, 02:41 AM
If I was actually being attacked and felt in harms way then I would use self defence.

-:Undertaker:-
20-07-2013, 07:26 AM
The way this country is now with the amount of crime and not just beatings, but beatings actually leading to death - use anything you can in retaliation. Better him in a box than you.

e5
20-07-2013, 07:56 AM
LOL.

Lets put it this way, if it was me and someone else and they were going to hit me, I'd make sure i'd do anything to ensure you didn't hit me ~ self defense. Self defense doesn't necessarily mean hitting somebody, because to defend myself against a woman, I'd either physically stop her hitting me by grabbing her arms and moving away, obviously with a bloke I'd fight back as they tend to be stronger and don't like to back down from fights if they started one.

As long as you defend yourself without using excessive force then you are doing nothing wrong. You shouldn't feel guilty as if you didn't do something, you'd be the one that gets hurt.

A classic case of self defense with my mate once happened when we were walking home and some guy with his mate and a girl thought they were clever purposely following us and then "accidentally" fell into the back of him... we heard them count to 3 before he did it, he then got in my mates face looking for a fight as my mate was a bit drunk and was like "what are you doing" etc... so before the guy could hit him, my mate threw a punch at him, knocking him to the floor, once the guy got up, still looking for a fight, my mate punched him again, knocking him out, breaking his jaw and he lost two teeth. When the guy reported it to the Police, my mate got questioned and it went down as self defense. My mate is a tall, 'hench' lad and was up against a guy taller than him, so my mate just did what he could to save himself from getting hurt. Potentially you could have said he used excessive force, but I don't think so, the guy was asking for it and if he wasn't made to not be able to fight, he could have hurt my mate, me or the girls and we weren't gonna let that happen. I had no need to get involved apart from restraining the guys friend was joining in (the sausage ;)). We told the police we had to do that as we were protecting the girls we were with at the time too (our girlfriends).

Zak
20-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I hit someone in self defence and was arrested. I was charged with ABH? (What ever it was I don't remember, but I was told the worst assault charge there was). It never went to court because the accusing party never pressed charges. The whole event was captured on CCTV.

Still I'm pretty sure if he had of pressed charges and it went to court it would have shown up on my records even though it was in self-defense? Although! If a person hits you first you have the right to defend yourself with the same force back. I think the reason I got into much more trouble is because of the injury I caused him and I had no injuries myself, which is understandable.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!