PDA

View Full Version : Uni Freshers!

Swinkid
03-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Whos starting UNI this year and where? :)

I'm Going to UWE!

Yawn
03-08-2013, 08:38 PM
i know UWE

Rozi
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
I am! Hopefully Brighton if they let me in, but if not I've got an unconditional for Anglia Ruskin, yay!

noddy
03-08-2013, 11:51 PM
LOUGHBOROUGH AFTER MY GAP YEAR
FRESHERS 2k14 YEAHH

-:Undertaker:-
04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I never went to Freshers last year, not a fan of yank customs over here. :P But think I might be going this year, if I decide to buy the Uni Union ticket which will get me in (and thats a big if).

lawrawrrr
04-08-2013, 12:42 PM
LOUGHBOROUGH AFTER MY GAP YEAR
FRESHERS 2k14 YEAHH

oh my god that's where my sister's applying for 2014 please don't touch her

---------- Post added 04-08-2013 at 01:43 PM ----------

o/t no i am already at uni (going into 3rd year cry) and i will be working hard to recruit freshers to my society

noddy
04-08-2013, 01:40 PM

o/t no i am already at uni (going into 3rd year cry) and i will be working hard to recruit freshers to my society

i wont i promise

JACKTARD
04-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Second year in Leeds and I'm working in a club for most of freshers :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Swinkid
04-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Miss being a fresher? :')

Second year in Leeds and I'm working in a club for most of freshers :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Pezza
04-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Good luck, you'll love it. I went to St George's University in London to do Paramedic Science.. had a blast. Was a few years back now and I miss it.

JACKTARD
04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Miss being a fresher? :')

I haven't even started second year yet but yeah I do haha, I at least wanted a few nights out in freshers week :(

.:Wahu:.
05-08-2013, 07:43 AM
I have no idea what the word "fresher" means LoL. But I did start Uni this year around March, going to one of the many in Sydney ^_^

LiquidLuck.
05-08-2013, 09:08 AM

arent societys an american thing?

first year at queen margaret uni.. half excited half scared lol

lawrawrrr
05-08-2013, 09:09 AM

nooo there's tons of societies at every uni!

LiquidLuck.
05-08-2013, 09:11 AM
nooo there's tons of societies at every uni!

oh, i had no idea lol here we dont do societies, but we do get like ''baptisms''. basically an older uni student gets to be the god father/godmother of different freshers if they want to. baptisms are made with beer instead of holy water lol

lawrawrrr
05-08-2013, 09:13 AM
oh, i had no idea lol here we dont do societies, but we do get like ''baptisms''. basically an older uni student gets to be the god father/godmother of different freshers if they want to. baptisms are made with beer instead of holy water lol

Aww that's really cute! We have Freshers Heros, there's like 40 of us (well there's meant to be, only like 10 have applied) which help out people in Freshers week, we have to wear bright yellow tshirts to be seen :( but yeah we help out Freshers with anything but drinking!

LiquidLuck.
05-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Aww that's really cute! We have Freshers Heros, there's like 40 of us (well there's meant to be, only like 10 have applied) which help out people in Freshers week, we have to wear bright yellow tshirts to be seen :( but yeah we help out Freshers with anything but drinking!

LOL our godfathers/godmothers help mainly with the drinking part xD and they make their godsons/goddaughters do so many stuff so they can like have the baptism ceremony, like basically dares that sometimes can be really bad. usually no one does anything that can actually put in danger their lifes, but there have been lots of freshers killed during that ''ritual'' lol

Zak
06-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Been there.. done that :P ... years ago :(

Samantha.
06-08-2013, 05:20 PM
I love freshers week! I start my third year at University of Gloucestershire in Sept so going to make the most of my final freshers week.

You will all love it!

Special
06-08-2013, 06:07 PM
don't even care that i'm going into 2nd year i'm gonna pretend i'm a fresher again

Swinkid
07-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I love freshers week! I start my third year at University of Gloucestershire in Sept so going to make the most of my final freshers week.

You will all love it!

Not far from me ahah! Will be ski training there :) (In Gloucester not the uni :P)

Samantha.
08-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Not far from me ahah! Will be ski training there :) (In Gloucester not the uni :P)

I never knew they did Ski training in Glos!

Swinkid
08-08-2013, 08:03 PM
I never knew they did Ski training in Glos!

Yeeeah! :) its with my uni, but i still think you can just like get lessons and stuff

GommeInc
09-08-2013, 01:27 PM
University of Essex. I'll be going to the fayre but I already know what societies I'm joining. Other than, I'd be in the library or common room blagging my way through the course.

shiver
15-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Fresher's week is good fun but you will definitely have better nights out after it!!!

ToyTruck
15-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Congrats all who got a uni place!

Metric1
16-08-2013, 12:40 AM
I CANT WAIT FOR FRESHERS

Shar
16-08-2013, 08:46 AM
I never got to enjoy freshers week last year...doubt I will this year too but I am going to try and make the most of it!

dirrty
17-08-2013, 12:19 PM
crying irl because i've graduated but i'm going to my old uni freshers anyway cuz i still have friends there

Swinkid
23-08-2013, 11:53 PM
crying irl because i've graduated but i'm going to my old uni freshers anyway cuz i still have friends there

OLLLDDD!!!! :) What did you graduate in?

Chug!
24-08-2013, 07:19 AM
I'm looking forward to freshers week :)))) some places have two weeks of it. Ours is just one :)

Yupt
24-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Gloucestershire freshers 2014 woo.

I kinda wish I was going this year rather than taking a gap year, but I am also so excited for my year out!

beth
24-08-2013, 12:34 PM
freshers is jokes. don't overdo it though haha, when i was at kent (canterbury) i blew a lot of money and got spiked BUT GENERALLY had the best week of my life.

i'm at drama school now (birmingham school of acting, init) and we don't really have a freshers cause there's only 120 of us in all 3 years really but we have 2 FAFFY's (find a friendly first year, but the find is usually switched to another f word.......... haha) which are like two massive house parties :)

Grig
24-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Prepare your livers for major damage folks!

good luck :)

Eoin247
24-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Doing Engineering in Trinity College Dublin :)

Freshers week's going to be mad. My liver may be in pain for my first week of lectures though.

AgnesIO
24-08-2013, 10:42 PM
i wont i promise

You're going to Loughborough? :L

My offer for 2014 is there (although I may be reapplying elsewhere..)!

Phil
25-08-2013, 01:17 AM
Doing Engineering in Trinity College Dublin :)

Freshers week's going to be mad. My liver may be in pain for my first week of lectures though.

Didn't realise you were Irish :O Best of luck with that and congratulations on getting Trinners! My friend was supposed to get into that course, got well over the points needed but Trinty screwed him over :(

AgnesIO
25-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Didn't realise you were Irish :O Best of luck with that and congratulations on getting Trinners! My friend was supposed to get into that course, got well over the points needed but Trinty screwed him over :(

"Eoin" gives it away? :L

Anyway, Ireland is great for the English - barely any fees!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Phil
25-08-2013, 10:40 AM

I know but I'm sure that wasn't always his username, I just recognise the picture :P Yeah fees are so much cheaper that's true! Would many english people come over to Ireland to study?

Spoltage
25-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Teeside Uni, my first year :)

I'm looking forward to freshers week (or weeks since its 2 weeks..), Wretch-32, Example and Greg James are all going to be there! Shall be fun!

Congrats to everyone else who got a place at a university! :)

Sam

Eoin247
25-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Thanks :D . Yeah i heard that there were some problems with trinity giving out the courses correctly. Administration in TCD aren't the most organised from what i hear.

True, I always see a ton of English (and Spanish) in Dublin on nights out.

I know but I'm sure that wasn't always his username, I just recognise the picture :P Yeah fees are so much cheaper that's true! Would many english people come over to Ireland to study?

It was always my username ;) . But i haven't been on the forums for a while.

AgnesIO
25-08-2013, 02:50 PM

I considered it, just there is only really one University in Ireland that meets the sort of prestige that I am after (that sounds really snobby, but I may as well get to the best University I can).

I am referring to Trinity College Dublin, by the way.

Phil
25-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I considered it, just there is only really one University in Ireland that meets the sort of prestige that I am after (that sounds really snobby, but I may as well get to the best University I can).

I am referring to Trinity College Dublin, by the way.

I think UCD and DCU are worthwhile too. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in Trinners

Okeanos
25-08-2013, 05:12 PM
I think UCD and DCU are worthwhile too. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in Trinners

I agree about UCD, never heard of DCU. University College Cork is supposed to be quite good too.

But the cost of living in Dublin is HUGE, higher than London in my opinion. Lots of English people go to TCD but they are have wealthy middle class parents who pay for their accommodation and living expenses. Whilst TCD is going to impress people in the know, the majority of British people will never have heard of it - is the cost really worth it?

Kardan
25-08-2013, 08:42 PM

Nope. I'm British and I'm in my Uni's Harry Potter Society.

Quidditch ftw.

LiquidLuck.
26-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Nope. I'm British and I'm in my Uni's Harry Potter Society.

Quidditch ftw.

Lol nice joke.

> omg I felt so excited and scared when I wrote in this thread before and now it's like 10 times worst.

Kardan
26-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Lol nice joke.

> omg I felt so excited and scared when I wrote in this thread before and now it's like 10 times worst.

...It's not a joke.

http://www.lufbra.net/society/harrypotter/

AgnesIO
26-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Lol nice joke.

A lot of Unis have Harry Potter Societies, he isn't joking"

AgnesIO
26-08-2013, 02:49 PM
I agree about UCD, never heard of DCU. University College Cork is supposed to be quite good too.

But the cost of living in Dublin is HUGE, higher than London in my opinion. Lots of English people go to TCD but they are have wealthy middle class parents who pay for their accommodation and living expenses. Whilst TCD is going to impress people in the know, the majority of British people will never have heard of it - is the cost really worth it?

It is still far cheaper than the £45,000-£50,000 that my degree is going to cost though!

I will be going for a British Uni probably, although I haven't ruled out going abroad.

lawrawrrr
26-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Lol nice joke.

my uni have a quidditch society where they play muggle quidditch it's amazing

i'm on the mailing list but haven't ever played

LiquidLuck.
26-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I seriously believed this was a joke.. that's so nerdy, omg. xD

Okeanos
26-08-2013, 04:31 PM
It is still far cheaper than the £45,000-£50,000 that my degree is going to cost though!

I will be going for a British Uni probably, although I haven't ruled out going abroad.

It's only cheaper if you have parents who can afford to pay for your living costs. You won't be entitled to any grants.

AgnesIO
26-08-2013, 05:31 PM
It's only cheaper if you have parents who can afford to pay for your living costs. You won't be entitled to any grants.

Heh, or have my own bank account...

That post makes no sense, whether you get loans or pay up front, it is STILL cheaper.

Metric1
27-08-2013, 03:15 PM
I JUST PACKED UP MY TRUCK HEADIN TO CANADA FOR FRESHERS WEEEK!!!!!!!!!

Okeanos
27-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Heh, or have my own bank account...

That post makes no sense, whether you get loans or pay up front, it is STILL cheaper.

It makes perfect sense, you just didn't understand it - there's a huge difference.

What on Earth does having your own bank account have to do with this? You won't be able to take out a student loan because you will be studying abroad, nor will you receive any grants or help with living costs. So how are you going to pay for the fees or buy food, clothes, or pay for accommodation etc etc? You would either have to get a job (and there's almost zero chance of that happening with the Irish economy the way it is), or your parents would have to pay for you.

AgnesIO
27-08-2013, 09:40 PM
It makes perfect sense, you just didn't understand it - there's a huge difference.

What on Earth does having your own bank account have to do with this? You won't be able to take out a student loan because you will be studying abroad, nor will you receive any grants or help with living costs. So how are you going to pay for the fees or buy food, clothes, or pay for accommodation etc etc? You would either have to get a job (and there's almost zero chance of that happening with the Irish economy the way it is), or your parents would have to pay for you.

Was pointing out I don't have to rely on mummy and daddy xox

The fact remains it is cheaper to study in Ireland than it is to in the UK. I don't see how anyone can possibly argue it. (I should point out Uni fees are not my biggest concern, baring in mind I did seriously consider going over to the USA to study.

Okeanos
27-08-2013, 10:07 PM

The fact remains it is cheaper to study in Ireland than it is to in the UK. I don't see how anyone can possibly argue it. (I should point out Uni fees are not my biggest concern, baring in mind I did seriously consider going over to the USA to study.

Actually the US would in general be cheaper than Ireland. Whilst university fees in America are awfully high, the better universities and colleges have large endowments and offer very generous scholarships, a large majority of students do not pay anything like the full-fee and many pay nothing at all. There is NO financial help for British students in Ireland, unless you have at least £30,000 in your bank account then Ireland is certainly not a realistic option for British students even if the fees are technically cheaper.

AgnesIO
27-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Actually the US would in general be cheaper than Ireland. Whilst university fees in America are awfully high, the better universities and colleges have large endowments and offer very generous scholarships, a large majority of students do not pay anything like the full-fee and many pay nothing at all. There is NO financial help for British students in Ireland, unless you have at least £30,000 in your bank account then Ireland is certainly not a realistic option for British students even if the fees are technically cheaper.

Then add on the cost of flights to America, obviously the cost of living, and the $25,000 I would have to pay a year... (according to Harvard).

Not come and tell me the USA would be cheaper o.O

Okeanos
28-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Then add on the cost of flights to America, obviously the cost of living, and the $25,000 I would have to pay a year... (according to Harvard).

Not come and tell me the USA would be cheaper o.O

You seem to be missing the point. You said Ireland is a cheaper alternative for British students, and it is if you have the money in your bank account... but most people will not have £30,000 in savings so in practice the UK is still more affordable because you take out a student loan.

I'm not sure why you're now talking about the US... Harvard is a need-blind university, that means they do not know whether you can afford to pay their fees when you apply. If you get in they will then assess your ability to pay (based on household income, family assets etc) - a student from a normal working class British family will certainly pay less than 1/4 of the fees, perhaps nothing at all. I spoke to a girl from Newcastle who got into Yale a few years ago, her scholarship covered all her fees, living expenses and included plane tickets home every year. Personally I dislike the American system because it means only the very well off and the poor can attend their best universities. By the way Harvard and all other 'Ivy League' institutions do not come close to matching Oxbridge for an undergraduate education.

AgnesIO
28-08-2013, 12:15 AM
You seem to be missing the point. You said Ireland is a cheaper alternative for British students, and it is if you have the money in your bank account... but most people will not have £30,000 in savings so in practice the UK is still more affordable because you take out a student loan.

I'm not sure why you're now talking about the US... Harvard is a need-blind university, that means they do not know whether you can afford to pay their fees when you apply. If you get in they will then assess your ability to pay (based on household income, family assets etc) - a student from a normal working class British family will certainly pay less than 1/4 of the fees, perhaps nothing at all. I spoke to a girl from Newcastle who got into Yale a few years ago, her scholarship covered all her fees, living expenses and included plane tickets home every year. Personally I dislike the American system because it means only the very well off and the poor can attend their best universities. By the way Harvard and all other 'Ivy League' institutions do not come close to matching Oxbridge for an undergraduate education.

But it is cheaper.. even with a loan (and you can still find loans that are fairly reasonable if you study abroad) it would be cheaper. The USA is not "free" for me, as I am not "poor working class", meaning it would definitely be more expensive that the UK and Ireland.

Okeanos
28-08-2013, 12:30 AM
But it is cheaper.. even with a loan (and you can still find loans that are fairly reasonable if you study abroad) it would be cheaper. The USA is not "free" for me, as I am not "poor working class", meaning it would definitely be more expensive that the UK and Ireland.

You don't have to be 'poor working class' to get some financial help in the US. Even a student with a family income of £75,000 would still only pay £10,000 a year.

Our current financial aid policy has dramatically reduced the amount families with incomes below $150,000 (about £92,000) are expected to pay, and parents of families with incomes below $65,000 (about £40,000) and typical asset worth are not expected to contribute at all to college costs. Source: here (http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.uk/Funding%20and%20financial%20aid)

What loan? You won't be entitled to any loan from the Student Loan Company in the UK or its Irish equivalent. I suppose you could take out a loan from a bank (whether or not you'd be offered a loan is another matter, I suspect not) - but you would have to pay it back even if you weren't earning, with interest.

Samantha
28-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Teeside Uni, my first year :)

I'm looking forward to freshers week (or weeks since its 2 weeks..), Wretch-32, Example and Greg James are all going to be there! Shall be fun!

Congrats to everyone else who got a place at a university! :)

Sam

2 of my friends from work are going there, they are a couple, so I find it cute.

I didn't go to Uni, but if I did, I probably wouldn't even know what freshers was. I wouldn't have drunk anyway.

AgnesIO
28-08-2013, 10:27 AM
You don't have to be 'poor working class' to get some financial help in the US. Even a student with a family income of £75,000 would still only pay £10,000 a year.

Source: here (http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.uk/Funding%20and%20financial%20aid)

What loan? You won't be entitled to any loan from the Student Loan Company in the UK or its Irish equivalent. I suppose you could take out a loan from a bank (whether or not you'd be offered a loan is another matter, I suspect not) - but you would have to pay it back even if you weren't earning, with interest.

There are some loans available (albeit with some interest) for people wishing to study abroad. Obviously not a perfect solution, but still doable.

I have found a fair few Universities ask the value of your assets as well - this is what makes my fees more expensive. Whereas, to study in Ireland the value of my parents assets is irrelevant.

Okeanos
28-08-2013, 02:06 PM
There are some loans available (albeit with some interest) for people wishing to study abroad. Obviously not a perfect solution, but still doable.

I have found a fair few Universities ask the value of your assets as well - this is what makes my fees more expensive. Whereas, to study in Ireland the value of my parents assets is irrelevant.

I've never heard of a bank offering undergraduate loans for students wishing to study abroad. And even if they did, it would be highly inadvisable to take one out.

The same website says "typical assets" are not included in their decision to award financial help, that means they do not take into account retirement plans, your house value, cars etc... your parents would have to have around £200,000 in assets (in savings, investments, property (other than home) and business equity) to be ineligible for financial aid from universities like Harvard. I don't know what your point is anymore... I think I've debunked every one of your opinions.

AgnesIO
28-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I've never heard of a bank offering undergraduate loans for students wishing to study abroad. And even if they did, it would be highly inadvisable to take one out.

The same website says "typical assets" are not included in their decision to award financial help, that means they do not take into account retirement plans, your house value, cars etc... your parents would have to have around £200,000 in assets (in savings, investments, property (other than home) and business equity) to be ineligible for financial aid from universities like Harvard. I don't know what your point is anymore... I think I've debunked every one of your opinions.

Ah, this is the problem. What happens when Harvards OWN website - when I use accurate information provided by my parents - quotes me $23,250 annually?

Okeanos
28-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Ah, this is the problem. What happens when Harvards OWN website - when I use accurate information provided by my parents - quotes me $23,250 annually?

I don't know what website you're referring to but the website I quoted is a Harvard website, it's purpose is to encourage applicants from Britain so it is reasonable to assume the information it provides is accurate. Not that any of this matters because you have almost no chance of getting into Harvard anyway.

Ardemax
28-08-2013, 08:27 PM

I'm not too sure about that, Welsh students have it pretty great at the moment.

AgnesIO
28-08-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't know what website you're referring to but the website I quoted is a Harvard website, it's purpose is to encourage applicants from Britain so it is reasonable to assume the information it provides is accurate. Not that any of this matters because you have almost no chance of getting into Harvard anyway.

Not sure anyone does. I used Harvard's own financial aid calculator.

Eoin247
29-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Not sure anyone does. I used Harvard's own financial aid calculator.

I quoted these posts but i'm referring to your earlier argument. Okeanos where are you getting all this information about prices for British students in Ireland? I'm only starting in Trinity this year and even now i know several Brits who had cheaper costs as a major reason for choosing to study in Dublin.

Hell even my French cousin only complained about one price when he studied here, and that was the high price for drink!

Okeanos
29-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I quoted these posts but i'm referring to your earlier argument. Okeanos where are you getting all this information about prices for British students in Ireland? I'm only starting in Trinity this year and even now i know several Brits who had cheaper costs as a major reason for choosing to study in Dublin.

Hell even my French cousin only complained about one price when he studied here, and that was the high price for drink!

The fees are lower, I do not dispute that - but the cost of living in Dublin is very high. If you or your family are independently wealthy and can afford to pay for your accommodation and living costs then yes, studying in Ireland is technically cheaper than the UK, but most people would have to rely on student loans - except there aren't any loans available to British students studying in Ireland. It is cheaper, but for most people far less affordable.

How does your French cousin pay for his accommodation, food, books, travel etc?

AgnesIO
29-08-2013, 10:42 PM
The fees are lower, I do not dispute that - but the cost of living in Dublin is very high. If you or your family are independently wealthy and can afford to pay for your accommodation and living costs then yes, studying in Ireland is technically cheaper than the UK, but most people would have to rely on student loans - except there aren't any loans available to British students studying in Ireland. It is cheaper, but for most people far less affordable.

Jesus christ, it is still cheaper...

Whether someone can afford to do it up front does NOT mean it isn't cheaper - it still is. If there is a car that can be £100,000 but you have to pay up front, or £1,000,000 but you get loans to pay for it at first, the £100,000 is STILL cheaper - that won't change.

Cost of living may be higher, but are you telling me it is £8,000 per YEAR cheaper (than say... London?)

Rozi
29-08-2013, 10:58 PM
This is literally the most boring conversation I have ever ever ever seen.

lawrawrrr
29-08-2013, 11:25 PM
HA

we have the doritos mariachi band performing in our freshers

Okeanos
30-08-2013, 01:50 AM
Jesus christ, it is still cheaper...

Whether someone can afford to do it up front does NOT mean it isn't cheaper - it still is. If there is a car that can be £100,000 but you have to pay up front, or £1,000,000 but you get loans to pay for it at first, the £100,000 is STILL cheaper - that won't change.

Cost of living may be higher, but are you telling me it is £8,000 per YEAR cheaper (than say... London?)

For goodness sake, would you stop clinging to the word 'cheaper' - it means nothing in this discussion. It does not matter if the tuition fees are cheaper if you have no way to pay for your accommodation or living costs, unless you're planning on sleeping on Dublin's streets. You might be able to pay for your rent and food without taking out a student loan, but the majority of people can't therefore Ireland is not an affordable alternative to studying in Britain. If you really do not understand that then you do not belong at university at all, let alone TCD or Harvard. For the love of Christ I hope you don't want to study economics.

Your car analogy is quite ridiculous; if you do not have £100,000 then you can't buy the car even if it is cheaper. Why don't you understand that?!

Eoin247
30-08-2013, 11:19 AM

Surely it's not more expensive than London. When I was thinking about going to Imperial college, I had a hard time looking for affordable accommodation.

He paid using a combination of summer work money and his parents money. He was made fully aware of the costs though. There's a ton of student discounts for just about everything in Dublin thanks to representatives. For example students get 2 meals for the price of one in a restaurant located on the most expensive street in Ireland (Grafton street), as a result you can get high quality meals in good restaurants for as little as €5.

HA

we have the doritos mariachi band performing in our freshers

Lucky. We only get some of those Geordie shore douchebags :(

sex
30-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Okeanos you actually have no idea of the cost of living in Dublin, just because you read a few articles saying the cost of living is high doesn't mean its like that all over the city. You can rent a house with other students and end up paying only 60 euros a week. You're too book smart and think you know it all!!

Yupt
30-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Starting to really wish I was going to uni this year rather than next year with a year off

Okeanos
30-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Surely it's not more expensive than London. When I was thinking about going to Imperial college, I had a hard time looking for affordable accommodation.

Unless Dublin rents have gone down drastically since I researched them in 2011, they were comparable in general with London.

He paid using a combination of summer work money and his parents money. He was made fully aware of the costs though. There's a ton of student discounts for just about everything in Dublin thanks to representatives. For example students get 2 meals for the price of one in a restaurant located on the most expensive street in Ireland (Grafton street), as a result you can get high quality meals in good restaurants for as little as €5.

Exactly, that is my point. Most people can not rely on their parents to fund them. Nor is it sensible to rely on the finding of a summer job in Ireland or Britain, the chances of getting one are not high. This is why I say Ireland is only an affordable option if you do not have to rely on student loans, even if it is cheaper.

Okeanos you actually have no idea of the cost of living in Dublin, just because you read a few articles saying the cost of living is high doesn't mean its like that all over the city. You can rent a house with other students and end up paying only 60 euros a week. You're too book smart and think you know it all!!

This post is hardly worth responding to, you do not know what I know so why are you involving yourself in this discussion? Having spent many months researching TCD a few years ago and talking to Irish family members about the cost of living in Dublin I understand better than most in this thread the costs involved, you certainly aren't going to be renting anywhere for 60 euros per week. :rolleyes:

I would say you need at least 8000 euros per year to live in Dublin, and more if you intend to stay during the summer break. Accommodation is likely to be around 100 euros a week.

sex
30-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Yup because I haven't loved in Dublin for the last 20 years! I don't have friends who rent with other students and pay such a low amount!! I'm totally wrong!

Oh wait, it's you who's wrong

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

I think living in Ireland, specifically Dublin would give me a better understanding than you. Your family members probably told you it was so high so they wouldn't have to put up with you if you decided to come and study here

Okeanos
30-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Yup because I haven't loved in Dublin for the last 20 years! I don't have friends who rent with other students and pay such a low amount!! I'm totally wrong!

I think living in Ireland, specifically Dublin would give me a better understanding than you. Your family members probably told you it was so high so they wouldn't have to put up with you if you decided to come and study here

That is a typical response I would expect from someone with your intellectual ability, that is to say none. Your living in Dublin is irrelevant and does not disprove what I have said at all. It is not surprising that a Dubliner could find cheaper rents because they might be prepared to live further outside the city centre and commute in, live at home or share with friends - all these things could decrease one's rent (although not to 60 euros :rolleyes:) but none of these options are available to international students, at least not in the first year!

Your assumption that an international student can arrive in Dublin and immediately find friends to share a house with is ridiculous.

Eoin247
30-08-2013, 03:55 PM
That is a typical response I would expect from someone with your intellectual ability, that is to say none. Your living in Dublin is irrelevant and does not disprove what I have said at all. It is not surprising that a Dubliner could find cheaper rents because they might be prepared to live further outside the city centre and commute in, live at home or share with friends - all these things could decrease one's rent (although not to 60 euros :rolleyes:) but none of these options are available to international students, at least not in the first year!

Your assumption that an international student can arrive in Dublin and immediately find friends to share a house with is ridiculous.

This is literally the most boring conversation I have ever ever ever seen.

You got your wish Rozi :rolleyes:

sex
30-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Finding friends is probably difficult for you okenos, or even the concept of a friend is probably strange to you. But there are these magical things call rent websites where people put up rooms for rent for very cheap prices! I took one look and found a room in the city for 200 euro a month! That's less than 60 a week... Are you ever going to admit you're wrong?

Okeanos
30-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Finding friends is probably difficult for you okenos, or even the concept of a friend is probably strange to you. But there are these magical things call rent websites where people put up rooms for rent for very cheap prices! I took one look and found a room in the city for 200 euro a month! That's less than 60 a week... Are you ever going to admit you're wrong?

It is very clear to me that you know nothing about studying abroad or international students living and spending habits so there is little point continuing this discussion. Students coming from abroad would not in general use a website to find strangers to rent with, actually I would be surprised if any fresher did that - international or domestic. In the second and third year a student might choose to rent a house with friends, but it's still going to cost more than 60 euros. I bet the place you've found is a small bedroom miles away from the city centre, no student is going to live there.

sex
30-08-2013, 04:37 PM
It is very clear to me that you know nothing about studying abroad or international students living and spending habits so there is little point continuing this discussion. Students coming from abroad would not in general use a website to find strangers to rent with, actually I would be surprised if any fresher did that - international or domestic. In the second and third year a student might choose to rent a house with friends, but it's still going to cost more than 60 euros. I bet the place you've found is a small bedroom miles away from the city centre, no student is going to live there.
I just said the bedroom s in the city center, you obviously don't understand students are poor and aren't going to be exactly picky when it comes to looking for somewhere once its cheep and central. My friend came from the UK not knowing anyone here and got a room to rent no problem with other students. Clearly you are some social recluse and all this is strange to you but the matter of the fact is lots of international students do it!! Hell you have no first class experience at this, I doubt you even have friends let alone friends who rent so please stop thinking you know everything FOR ONCE

Okeanos
30-08-2013, 05:03 PM
I just said the bedroom s in the city center, you obviously don't understand students are poor and aren't going to be exactly picky when it comes to looking for somewhere once its cheep and central. My friend came from the UK not knowing anyone here and got a room to rent no problem with other students. Clearly you are some social recluse and all this is strange to you but the matter of the fact is lots of international students do it!! Hell you have no first class experience at this, I doubt you even have friends let alone friends who rent so please stop thinking you know everything FOR ONCE

You said in the city, not the centre. :rolleyes: Minus rep me as much as you like, it is not going to make your assertions the slightest bit more believable.

Your determination to make this disagreement personal shows me that you have little to support your original statement. You are trying to be deliberately provocative no doubt because you have nothing else to do. I think you are one of those people who can't bear to be corrected and so tries to undermine anyone who tells you you're wrong - holding grudges and trying to cause arguments is not very becoming at all and it certainly isn't going to work with me. In fact international students are rather picky about where they live and for good reason, nobody wants to move to a new country and find they live miles and miles away from their university, away from social and support networks, especially if the transport links are unfamiliar. Your friend, if this person exists at all, is just one friend - stop making such broad generalisations based on your own limited experiences, if all you have is anecdotal evidence then you might as well stop posting now.

Rozi
30-08-2013, 05:03 PM

Literally thousands of freshers do this every year when they don't get halls... like me.

Okeanos
30-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Literally thousands of freshers do this every year when they don't get halls... like me.
When they're studying abroad? No they don't. :S I'm not going to get into a discussion about what domestic students do and don't do, I wouldn't rent a room with a stranger in my first year of university and I have never heard of anyone doing that either.

AgnesIO
30-08-2013, 05:47 PM

Erm, at least we can clarify you haven't changed at all. Still a total....

I should now proceed to point out that in the first year you could almost certainly stay in halls, so that concern is out the window. |-)

Phil
31-08-2013, 01:31 PM
When they're studying abroad? No they don't. :S I'm not going to get into a discussion about what domestic students do and don't do, I wouldn't rent a room with a stranger in my first year of university and I have never heard of anyone doing that either.

I have never heard of a first year student NOT doing this except for two friends of mine who happened to get put in the same apartment on campus. Especially if someone is hoping to study abroad, I can imagine it would be quite difficult to find accommodation with someone they'd know?

Yupt
07-09-2013, 12:45 AM

Are you talking about an actual room, as in two people sleeping in the same room. Like you might with your brother at home when you were younger (Example). Or are you talking about sharing living facilities (kitchen, living room etc) but having separate bedrooms.

If the latter then I can only name one or two people who are NOT in this situation as it is very common.

Okeanos
07-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Are you talking about an actual room, as in two people sleeping in the same room. Like you might with your brother at home when you were younger (Example). Or are you talking about sharing living facilities (kitchen, living room etc) but having separate bedrooms.

If the latter then I can only name one or two people who are NOT in this situation as it is very common.

The latter. I can't think of a single university where it is common in the first year. Nearly every fresher lives in university accommodation, do you seriously know freshers who rent flats privately? I don't.

Eoin247
07-09-2013, 11:22 AM
The latter. I can't think of a single university where it is common in the first year. Nearly every fresher lives in university accommodation, do you seriously know freshers who rent flats privately? I don't.

I know a good few. Although they are usually sharing the flat with a brother/sister or good friend.

Yupt
07-09-2013, 11:49 AM

I haven't read the entire thread because cba, but university accommodation is to share with strangers whom you don't know.

It's by far the most popular form of living for a first year over here.

I'm sorry if i'm missing a point here because this does seem far too simple.

Mr-Trainor
07-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Starting my first year in a few weeks time, doing Business Management :D.

Okeanos
08-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I know a good few. Although they are usually sharing the flat with a brother/sister or good friend.

Exactly. If you're new to the city/country and don't know anyone are you at all likely to share a (privately rented) flat with someone you don't know? No.

I haven't read the entire thread because cba, but university accommodation is to share with strangers whom you don't know.

It's by far the most popular form of living for a first year over here.

I'm sorry if i'm missing a point here because this does seem far too simple.

The point I was making was that if a student came from Britain to study in Dublin they would prefer to stay in university accommodation because everyone is in the same boat and it is easy to meet people opposed to renting a flat privately with a complete stranger (who may not even be a student) as others in this thread suggested was the norm, which it plainly is not.

Yupt
08-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Exactly. If you're new to the city/country and don't know anyone are you at all likely to share a (privately rented) flat with someone you don't know? No.

The point I was making was that if a student came from Britain to study in Dublin they would prefer to stay in university accommodation because everyone is in the same boat and it is easy to meet people opposed to renting a flat privately with a complete stranger (who may not even be a student) as others in this thread suggested was the norm, which it plainly is not.

I think then the reason the debate is here is because it wasn't explained very well. It sounded like you were banging on about how noone would want to go into uni accommodation and that noone does that.

Okeanos
08-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I think then the reason the debate is here is because it wasn't explained very well. It sounded like you were banging on about how noone would want to go into uni accommodation and that noone does that.

I explained myself perfectly well, this 'debate' occurred because a certain forum user tried to hijack the original discussion and deliberately misinterpreted what I said to cause an argument.

Yupt
08-09-2013, 02:11 PM
I explained myself perfectly well, this 'debate' occurred because a certain forum user tried to hijack the original discussion and deliberately misinterpreted what I said to cause an argument.

Reading purely your posts and none of the others I can tell you honestly that your words were also confusing and misleading (ignoring any other user).

Okeanos
08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Reading purely your posts and none of the others I can tell you honestly that your words were also confusing and misleading (ignoring any other user).

That is hardly surprising if you read my posts out of their original context.

Yupt
08-09-2013, 02:21 PM
That is hardly surprising if you read my posts out of their original context.

Woah so you really can't be wrong then? Ever?

Kindly suggesting that maybe you were slightly misleading and confusing to understand yet you persist on arguing.

Yeah ok.

AgnesIO
08-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Starting my first year in a few weeks time, doing Business Management :D.

Remind me, at what University?

Mr-Trainor
08-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Remind me, at what University?
At Brunel :).

Okeanos
08-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Woah so you really can't be wrong then? Ever?

Kindly suggesting that maybe you were slightly misleading and confusing to understand yet you persist on arguing.

Yeah ok.

If you bothered to read all of my posts before telling me they were confusing and misleading I might have given some thought to your opinion. I never said I can't be wrong, but you can not expect to be right in this instance. Before making your 'king suggestions' in future I suggest you do a bit more background reading, that way you won't be caught out and made to look foolish.

Thank you for your insightful rep message - *REMOVED*

Edited by Dilusionate (Forum Moderator): Please do post private information such as reputation comments, thanks!

Yupt
08-09-2013, 06:48 PM
If you bothered to read all of my posts before telling me they were confusing and misleading I might have given some thought to your opinion. I never said I can't be wrong, but you can not expect to be right in this instance. Before making your 'king suggestions' in future I suggest you do a bit more background reading, that way you won't be caught out and made to look foolish.

Thank you for your insightful rep message - "Still an ignorant and boring person, and this post simply shows that you still believe you are literally always right." - in what respect am I ignorant? Do you even know what that word means? Given I said I'm not always right, I do not see why you've said "you still believe you are literally always right"... is that another word you don't understand Mr Anonymous?

Loved your post, it was a great read. However not that it was not I which -repped you. Who looks foolish now?

Okeanos
08-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Loved your post, it was a great read. However not that it was not I which -repped you. Who looks foolish now?

It's still you, especially since I never accused you which is why I directed the second half of my post to a Mr Anonymous. If I thought it was you I would have said as much.

RyRy
08-09-2013, 08:31 PM
OKAY IM AT UNI RIGHT NOW but I'm not doing freshers as I'm being a good boy and saving money... we'll see how that turns out at the end of this week.

Kardan
08-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Just to jump in, it's pretty obvious to everyone that the majority of new students will take University accommodation, but clearly not all.

Samantha
08-09-2013, 09:04 PM
This thread makes me feel like I did the right thing and decided against going to university lmao.

However, I hope you all enjoy freshers and university in general.

Kardan
08-09-2013, 09:11 PM
This thread makes me feel like I did the right thing and decided against going to university lmao.

However, I hope you all enjoy freshers and university in general.

Just wondering, what are you doing instead of university?

Samantha
08-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Just wondering, what are you doing instead of university?

I work in a shop and have done for over a year.

compositeLegend
26-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Going to Uni next year, but I don't know where because still awaiting my final results for High school. Wooo.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!