PDA

View Full Version : LG has put buttons on the back of their new G2 smartphone.

technology13
08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
LG is hoping that by putting buttons on the back of their new flagship model, they’re spicing up things a bit and making their new smartphone more enticing to buyers. LG has stated that their new smartphone – the G2, has moved the buttons from the side to the rear as phones are getting bigger; it makes it easier to take self-portrait photos.

LG has recently reported that they have had their strongest ever phone figures. The new mobile phone has a 5.2 inch screen and the OS is Android. Its rear keys are there to adjust volume, or if pressed longer, it will bring up the device’s camera and note software.

LG has stated in a press report: "Moving the main buttons to the back of the phone gave users more control since this place was where individuals' index fingers are naturally located".

The South Korean company then went on to say "Researchers also found that moving the buttons also resulted in fewer dropped phones when adjusting the volume while talking."

What do you think?

myles
08-08-2013, 07:28 PM
thats ridiculous

lemons
08-08-2013, 07:30 PM
nothing ground breaking

suppose taking pics will be easier

MKR&*42
08-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Am I not gonna accidentally press a button everytime I grasp a phone or when its in my pocket? How impractical.

GommeInc
08-08-2013, 10:28 PM
That's actually a good idea. With my Galaxy Nexus I have noticed I sometimes hold down the volume keys by accident if I'm having to grip it e.g. by turning it on which turns it on in system update mode or whatever it is.

On the back sort of makes sense, as the index finger is usually free while the thumb and 3 other things are holding it tightly. It would be interesting to give it a go.

Am I not gonna accidentally press a button everytime I grasp a phone or when its in my pocket? How impractical.
No more risk than at the moment. In your pocket there's more chance of buttons being pressed and depressed on the edge (not the side) than on the back, because the tension in your pocket (by which I mean the lining when you walk) will be tighter towards the edge, rather than on the back or sides. Imagine putting a magazine or a laptop in a linen bag, the bag will be tightest around the edge, ignoring the back and the sides where traditionally buttons are placed.

If you're grasping a phone, however, you're grasping the sides. The back will be in the palm of your hand, away from being pressed.

samsaBEAR
09-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Makes perfect sense, unless you hold your phone in a silly way your index finger will always be on the back right where the buttons will be, makes it far easier to use the controls as opposed to fiddling about on the side. In initial leaks I thought it would be a camera shutter, similar to old Sony phones where you could open the shutter to go straight to the camera, but alas not.

MKR&*42
09-08-2013, 04:44 PM
That's actually a good idea. With my Galaxy Nexus I have noticed I sometimes hold down the volume keys by accident if I'm having to grip it e.g. by turning it on which turns it on in system update mode or whatever it is.

On the back sort of makes sense, as the index finger is usually free while the thumb and 3 other things are holding it tightly. It would be interesting to give it a go.

No more risk than at the moment. In your pocket there's more chance of buttons being pressed and depressed on the edge (not the side) than on the back, because the tension in your pocket (by which I mean the lining when you walk) will be tighter towards the edge, rather than on the back or sides. Imagine putting a magazine or a laptop in a linen bag, the bag will be tightest around the edge, ignoring the back and the sides where traditionally buttons are placed.

If you're grasping a phone, however, you're grasping the sides. The back will be in the palm of your hand, away from being pressed.

Ah yeah I see what you mean about the pocket issue, but I'm still fairly certain with how I hold a phone I would almost always press any button on the back of it unless it was dead on centre.

technology13
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all your replies guys!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!