PDA

View Full Version : Global Issues

AgnesIO
19-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Basic question, which of the following global issues do you view as the most important? When I ask this, I mean if you had the chance to work towards solving one, which would you choose?

1) Malnutrition and Hunger
2) Climate Change
3) Modern Day Slavery
4) Health (specifically HIV/AIDS and malaria)
5) Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs)
6) Population Crisis
7) Human Rights
8) Water Scarcity
9) Animal Extinction
10) Primary Education
11) Other?

Obviously there are issues missing, I have also missed out "poverty" on purpose, on the basis I am a firm believer of education being the key way out of poverty, and therefore I would say the poverty is the effect of these causes.

---

There are actually a few options about that I would place as more important than others, however I won't break my own rule of one! I guess for me the most important global issue there is health, simply because of the effects poor health has on those around individuals - for example, if you lose your parents to a disease then you won't be able to get a primary education (in many cases), as you may be forced to work to survive. Good health therefore, at least in my eyes, can lead to other issues being worked towards too.

So, what are your views?

I should point out, if you have an interest in any of these topics (and many more), you can watch some excellent videos over at www.ted.com - with incredible speakers such as Bill Gates, Bjorn Lomborg, Hans Rosling, Lisa Kristine and many more. You've probably watched TED videos before in college (or possibly school?)

Daltron
20-08-2013, 01:01 AM
If I could solve one, it would be Human Rights, the amount of violation makes me sick. Anyway, here is how I would rank them to most important to be solved to least important of the 10 (Although all very important in general.)

7) Human Rights
4) Health (specifically HIV/AIDS and malaria)
3) Modern Day Slavery
1) Malnutrition and Hunger
5) Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs)
8) Water Scarcity
2) Climate Change
9) Animal Extinction
10) Primary Education
6) Population Crisis

Bails
20-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Modern Day Slavery.

FlyingJesus
20-08-2013, 03:29 AM
From a purely practical viewpoint population is the biggest problem since if we culled the population there'd be more resources available per person and half of these would/could be solved, but I figure mass genocide to be something the modern world wants to avoid as much as possible...

In personal terms human rights obv since I like having those, also hunger because Dominos is far too expensive

karter
20-08-2013, 12:39 PM
can't choose between malnutrition, human rights, health and animal extinction

deathday
20-08-2013, 07:40 PM
are you kids dumb? the only problem that matters at the moment is the world population spiralling out of control. at the rate we're going it's gonna be r.i.p the human race in 50 years

AgnesIO
20-08-2013, 08:13 PM
are you kids dumb? the only problem that matters at the moment is the world population spiralling out of control. at the rate we're going it's gonna be r.i.p the human race in 50 years

Nice, an attempt at insulting us by branding us "kids" and "dumb", yet you then go on to claim the human race will be destroyed in 50 years time. Interesting.

deathday
20-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Nice, an attempt at insulting us by branding us "kids" and "dumb", yet you then go on to claim the human race will be destroyed in 50 years time. Interesting.
it's ok that you're still stuck on a lower level of thinking. denial's just a normal human trait, right?

FlyingJesus
20-08-2013, 08:29 PM
I already covered population does that make me a genius

MKR&*42
20-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Education as I believe everyone should be entitled to some form of it and it's such a vital part of ... life ?

Inseriousity.
20-08-2013, 08:38 PM
From a purely practical viewpoint population is the biggest problem since if we culled the population there'd be more resources available per person and half of these would/could be solved, but I figure mass genocide to be something the modern world wants to avoid as much as possible...

In personal terms human rights obv since I like having those, also hunger because Dominos is far too expensive

LOL bringing your nationstates' philosophy into the real world hmmm that might not go down too well (unless ofc Dan is in charge of the other countries then they'll just ignore you).
Saying education is the key way out of poverty is such a simplistic view imo. Out of the issues there, I'd go for malnutrition and hunger.

deathday
20-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I already covered population does that make me a geniusyes

Ardemax
20-08-2013, 09:01 PM

I believe we currently have around 3/4 times as much food as we actually need. It's just very poorly distributed. So seeing how food isn't a problem, what other resources are you on about? I'm assuming things like oil, gas etc. which will have been replaced by alternative and more efficient things in around 50 years anyway.

Personally it has to be a lack of food and water around the world. It's still sickening to hear that around a billion people struggle to find clean water and food.

deathday
20-08-2013, 09:08 PM
I believe we currently have around 3/4 times as much food as we actually need. It's just very poorly distributed. So seeing how food isn't a problem, what other resources are you on about? I'm assuming things like oil, gas etc. which will have been replaced by alternative and more efficient things in around 50 years anyway.

Personally it has to be a lack of food and water around the world. It's still sickening to hear that around a billion people struggle to find clean water and food.
your beliefs are wrong

FlyingJesus
20-08-2013, 09:13 PM
There's a huge difference between what we need and what we want. What we literally need to survive could be synthesised and controlled easily several times over yes, but people enjoy having an actual lifestyle and not just a life

AgnesIO
20-08-2013, 09:42 PM
it's ok that you're still stuck on a lower level of thinking. denial's just a normal human trait, right?

Maybe one should work on their use of capital letters, before commenting on others intelligence!

Ardemax
21-08-2013, 09:58 AM
There's a huge difference between what we need and what we want. What we literally need to survive could be synthesised and controlled easily several times over yes, but people enjoy having an actual lifestyle and not just a life

That's true and at the moment I think we're limited in our current technological advancement to allow it to happen. I'm not sure I see it being a problem in a few decades when things become easier and cheaper to manufacture.

AgnesIO
21-08-2013, 10:03 AM
OMG it asked me whether they should start to eat Kudu or not :D

Kudu is not only a beautiful animal, but literally my favourite meat in the world :L

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 11:03 AM ----------

Oh, and I'm now a Corporate Police State.

Zak
21-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Health is the most important issue for me

FlyingJesus
21-08-2013, 02:30 PM
OMG it asked me whether they should start to eat Kudu or not :D

Kudu is not only a beautiful animal, but literally my favourite meat in the world :L

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 11:03 AM ----------

Oh, and I'm now a Corporate Police State.

Wrong thread darling :P

AgnesIO
21-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Wrong thread darling :P

Err woops :L Must have had two tabs open or something haha

Smoootthhhhh

Hannah
21-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I honestly don't know what I'd go for.
It'd have to be out of water scarcity, education and population crisis.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!