PDA

View Full Version : How does "undifferentiated" gender work.

MKR&*42
25-08-2013, 07:42 PM
When I briefly did psychology at college last year, I remember in the gender unit there were 4 different "classifications":

- Masculine
- Feminine
- Androgynous (signs of both masculine and feminine traits)
- Undifferentiated (little signs of masculine and feminine traits)

I understand how androgyny works, but I can't understand how someone can have "no gender"/be undifferentiated. Surely if you're not one, you're the other?

Can someone who is smart explain thanks.

Inseriousity.
25-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Apparently there's a test or something so if you score low on both masculine and feminine traits then you're undifferentiated which was coined by psychologist Sandra Bem. Not seen one of the tests so can't really critique it properly although if masculine and feminine traits refers to stereotypical connotations of either gender then I normally get irritated by that.

http://gender.wikia.com/wiki/Undifferentiated

FlyingJesus
25-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Although I don't agree with the classification of certain traits as being gendered for the most part anyway, I can't see how someone can display none whatsoever unless they are completely braindead. In personal cases one can wish to be seen as neither since the binary makes very little pragmatic sense in the modern world, but in psychological terms that probably have some actual measure (or maybe not ACTUAL measure since most of psychology is bull but I mean structured theses) it doesn't make sense to have a category devoid of all traits

e5
25-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Well don't know if Im being silly here but if they got a penis they got male traits and if they got a vagina they got female traits? or is this about the way they act? :S

MKR&*42
25-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Gender is masculine/feminine/androgynous/undifferentiated. Sex is the bit between the legs.

Penis =/= masculinity :P

CaptainAce
27-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Maybe it doesn't just depend on your physical appearance but also how you behave or view yourself.

Cerys
29-08-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm gonna say that CrazyLemurs; is a good example of this undifferentiated gender thing ;)

but yeah, it's probably on how you act

CrazyLemurs
29-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah use me as an example
I am masculine in the way that I like war games and fighting and talking about disgusting things (coffs at empired reading 50 shades of grey) but I am feminine in the way I feel bad for hurting things and love to see real beauty in people (THIS IS DECIDEDLY NOT "SEXY" OK but more in the way of "wow that person looks after themselves so well) and like to dance

But I am confidently male and recognise in my head that I am male.

I think by the way it's described as undifferentiated, it means somebody who is very in the middle, doing lots of very ungendered activities that I can't quite define atm
It's like androgyny but like a very limited version, at least what I can gather from the concept.

Gibs960
29-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Wouldn't Androgynous come up a lot in gay/lesbian/transgender people?

buttons
29-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeah use me as an example
I am masculine in the way that I like war games and fighting and talking about disgusting things (coffs at empired reading 50 shades of grey) but I am feminine in the way I feel bad for hurting things and love to see real beauty in people (THIS IS DECIDEDLY NOT "SEXY" OK but more in the way of "wow that person looks after themselves so well) and like to dance

But I am confidently male and recognise in my head that I am male.

I think by the way it's described as undifferentiated, it means somebody who is very in the middle, doing lots of very ungendered activities that I can't quite define atm
It's like androgyny but like a very limited version, at least what I can gather from the concept.
This doesn't make sense
i do fighting and war games n like disgusting thins therefore = masculine (which no, it's not 'masculine')
i like beauty and people and dancing therefore i am feminine (no, it's not 'feminine')
That would mean you have a mix of male and female 'gender traits' whereas Tom n mike r saying it means to have low feminine and low masculine when u apparently have both? so u sound the complete opposite of what they're saying

CrazyLemurs
29-08-2013, 10:39 PM
buttons; no I was kinda making fun of Cerys for trying to mention me as an example lmao
The serious part of my post was the second bit at the bottom

buttons
29-08-2013, 10:42 PM
oh but u sed they r doing lots of ungendered activities ******* HELL ALL THESE TERMS ARE MADE UP FlyingJesus; what was that one about only having friends u LIKE demiplatonic or smth

FlyingJesus
29-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah undifferentiated would be little/no of either traits, having both is androgynous (andro meaning masculine and gyno meaning feminine) and because people seem to love giving everything a box to fit in it would be difficult to find anything much to do if you're gonna do nothing that's considered gendered

Oh god demiplatonic which literally translated means half-friends so should mean someone who isn't a real friend but special snowflake losers on tumblr have adopted it to mean someone who only likes having "real" friends and not fake ones (ie: everyone) because they love being wrong about stuff but also making things up to make them seem different. Comparable with demiromantic/demisexual which they say means only being romantically involved with people you like (ie: everyone again) and it's all a load of nonsense

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!