26-08-2013, 06:26 PM
they sound like sims

wixard
26-08-2013, 06:29 PM
not as pretty as other languages
interesting, i'd like to hear it with british accents

Chris
26-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Thats actually really weird to watch but interesting.

Ardemax
26-08-2013, 06:51 PM
not as pretty as other languages
interesting, i'd like to hear it with british accents

I'd wanna hear it in an Irish accent as you wouldn't need to speak in fake English.

A really, really odd video and I'm impressed at how they managed to get angry at each other in a fake language without laughing.

AgnesIO
26-08-2013, 06:52 PM
How exactly does this work, like what is the science behind it?

I mean, surely to a non-English speaker, the words will still sound the same?

Ardemax
26-08-2013, 06:56 PM
How exactly does this work, like what is the science behind it?

I mean, surely to a non-English speaker, the words will still sound the same?

Of course the words sound the same, but to an English speaker you wouldn't get the same misunderstanding feeling you get when watching this. They're similar sounding words to English so you think you can understand it, but really you have no idea ~ just like a non-English speaker.

Kardan
26-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Of course the words sound the same, but to an English speaker you wouldn't get the same misunderstanding feeling you get when watching this. They're similar sounding words to English so you think you can understand it, but really you have no idea ~ just like a non-English speaker.

I don't know if this is what Marketing meant, but what I thought he meant was, how did they decide to go about the video? How do they know that's what English sounds like to a non-English speaker? Clearly they've kept some words in there, but others they've just replaced with nonsense words to replicate the confusion of not knowing what's going on...

Did they just say 'Oh we'll replace these words, and them, but keep those' or is there actually some science behind it?

AgnesIO
26-08-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't know if this is what Marketing meant, but what I thought he meant was, how did they decide to go about the video? How do they know that's what English sounds like to a non-English speaker? Clearly they've kept some words in there, but others they've just replaced with nonsense words to replicate the confusion of not knowing what's going on...

Did they just say 'Oh we'll replace these words, and them, but keep those' or is there actually some science behind it?

Exactly what I meant :)

I meant, could this not work with any other language if they stuck in (for example) "toparse con", "cepillo", "la boca" (ie. random words from a different language, in this case, Spanish).

Have they, for example, taken English sounds etc to do it?

e5
26-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I really don't get this at all lol, don't know how someone knows thats how we sound to non-english speakers

Jurv
26-08-2013, 07:45 PM
i don't get it what are they saying

AgnesIO
26-08-2013, 07:46 PM
i don't get it what are they saying

kind of the point

Jurv
26-08-2013, 07:49 PM
kind of the point

cool it's pretty boring then

geo
26-08-2013, 07:50 PM
that was weird to listen to. i'm not sure how they knew that's what it'd be like but it was pretty cool i guess

AgnesIO
26-08-2013, 07:53 PM
cool it's pretty boring then

Well what exactly were you expecting lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Jurv
26-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Well what exactly were you expecting lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

dunno i was expecting it to be slightly funny and more about our accent lol

Ardemax
26-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Exactly what I meant :)

I meant, could this not work with any other language if they stuck in (for example) "toparse con", "cepillo", "la boca" (ie. random words from a different language, in this case, Spanish).

Have they, for example, taken English sounds etc to do it?

... apologies.

I'm pretty sure they have just added English-sounding words together to make a sentence of varying lengths to give a realistic feel. Someone referred to the Sims earlier and it's the same concept, no science (not that I'm aware of), just similar sounding words which flow like an actual language.

wixard
26-08-2013, 08:09 PM
HOW DO YOU GUYS NOT UNDERSTAND? it is the flow and way which we speak the words, because they just took similar words in the english language but turned it into nonsense, but nonsense that has adapted the way in which the english language is spoken

just like how you can tell when someone is speaking french, or german. you can tell the different languages even if you don't know a word of them, usually by how they're spoken

myles
29-08-2013, 03:51 PM
she has bong eye

Eoin247
30-08-2013, 04:26 PM
that was weird to listen to. i'm not sure how they knew that's what it'd be like but it was pretty cool i guess

Pretty easy I'd imagine. Just get a few non English speakers to listen to real English and this made up English and ask them if they thought they were similar.

karter
30-08-2013, 04:34 PM
english is my third language and i struggled to understand what they were saying

Eoin247
30-08-2013, 04:42 PM
english is my third language and i struggled to understand what they were saying

They weren't really speaking English though

karter
30-08-2013, 04:46 PM
They weren't really speaking English though

what do u mean

i could understand some parts of it??

---------- Post added 30-08-2013 at 10:19 PM ----------

the sentences didnt make sense but i could understand words

Eoin247
30-08-2013, 04:50 PM
what do u mean

i could understand some parts of it??

It's a video for English speakers, to show what English would sound like to a non English speaking person . So while it does have a few real English words in it, most of the video contains made up words that sound like real English words. :)

karter
30-08-2013, 04:52 PM
It's a video for English speakers, to show what English would sound like to a non English speaking person . So while it does have a few real English words in it, most of the video contains made up words that sound like real English words. :)

oh OH OH okay thanks for clearing that up

i thought that I'd be able able to understand what english speakers couldnt

Gina
31-08-2013, 02:56 AM
o thats weird hahaha but cool

Reality
02-09-2013, 09:12 AM
What did I just watch I was fine then it went weird and I was like *REMOVED* then it lost me and I was totally *REMOVED* :p
But it was interesting and I had to watch it a few times!

If you're seeing this I'm on mobile act like you care x - James

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't avoid the filter.

AgnesIO
03-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Just out of interest what other languages do you speak? Hindi and Urdu or something?

What did I just watch I was fine then it went weird and I was like *REMOVED* then it lost me and I was totally *REMOVED* :p
But it was interesting and I had to watch it a few times!

If you're seeing this I'm on mobile act like you care x - James

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't avoid the filter.

Awkward moderation edit lol

karter
03-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Just out of interest what other languages do you speak? Hindi and Urdu or something?

first language is hindi/urdu mix i think it's called hindustani dialect of hindi(?) but i can read and write both languages anyway

second language is punjabi, i can also speak a little bit of kashmiri (can't read/write it though, not in nastaliq script anyway)

AgnesIO
03-09-2013, 11:22 PM
first language is hindi/urdu mix i think it's called hindustani dialect of hindi(?) but i can read and write both languages anyway

second language is punjabi, i can also speak a little bit of kashmiri (can't read/write it though, not in nastaliq script anyway)

Impressive, learn something new (almost) every day!

Munex
04-09-2013, 02:38 AM
I imagine this is what it sounds like to have a stroke. I've heard stories of knowing what to say but being completely unable to do so.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!