PDA

View Full Version : SCART to HDMI

Lee
27-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Hello,

I am trying to create a new setup that would allow me to take my SKY+ (not HD) box, and display it on both my TV and PC Screen. My TV can use scart and HDMI, however my PC Screen only accepts HDMI so is there a cheap option to convert the SCART to HDMI. All I could find was £50 converters.

Lee.

Calum0812
27-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Scart and HDMI are two completely different connections. The quality, age and other crappy things mean it would be next to impossible to convert to HDMI.

I've checked this with someone who knows a lot more than me and they agreed. Would it be easier to upgrade your Sky box and get a HDMI splitter?

jesuis
27-08-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm very interested in this as well actually. What with the Xbox One taking digital boxes in it's HDMI slots. I'm not bothered about the quality of HD but will it make the quality worse?

Jack!
27-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Scart is analog.
HDMI is digital.

You won't find a decent converter for less then £50.

Converting Scart > HDMI don't expect HD, you are converting analog to a digital signal.
Converting HDMI > Scart again, don't expect HD, You are pushing digital over analog.

Either way, you won't get the quality you would over HDMI.

Lee
28-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Scart is analog.
HDMI is digital.

You won't find a decent converter for less then £50.

Converting Scart > HDMI don't expect HD, you are converting analog to a digital signal.
Converting HDMI > Scart again, don't expect HD, You are pushing digital over analog.

Either way, you won't get the quality you would over HDMI.

Many thanks for the explanation Jack.

Chippiewill
28-08-2013, 12:37 PM
If your monitor has a DVI port it might be DVI-I in which case you can convert SCART to DVI (Potentially via VGA) and then you can use a DVI-D to HDMI for your main monitor connection.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!