PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new laptop [+rep]

Rozi
28-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Hiya, so I'm looking for a new laptop for uni. Ideally I want it under 500 pounds.

I want a long battery life and preferably light weight. Don't really want windows 8 but I guess I'll get used to it eventually.

I've found this one which seems pretty good.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-b141sa-touchscreen-14-sleekbook-21401707-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~VigLink+Inc~Communities+%26+UGC&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qqpxmxaq&istBid=t#longDesc

Gibs960
28-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Wouldn't you be better off getting a semi-high end Windows 7 laptop? To me it seems like you're getting a Windows 8 just for the sake of it? :P

Jack!
28-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Hiya, so I'm looking for a new laptop for uni. Ideally I want it under 500 pounds.

I want a long battery life and preferably light weight. Don't really want windows 8 but I guess I'll get used to it eventually.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-b141sa-touchscreen-14-sleekbook-21401707-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~VigLink+Inc~Communities+%26+UGC&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qqpxmxaq&istBid=t#longDesc

Just been out to PC World with my girlfriend and we bought the exact same laptop for when she starts uni at the end of the month, its a decent laptop, great price, comes with some crapware but its easy enough to uninstall, its a great machine for the price.

Rozi
28-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Wouldn't you be better off getting a semi-high end Windows 7 laptop? To me it seems like you're getting a Windows 8 just for the sake of it? :P

no... I'm getting a new laptop cause mines on it's way out. The operating system is really last on my list after battery, expected life length and suitability to my course.

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 11:00 PM ----------

Just been out to PC World with my girlfriend and we bought the exact same laptop for when she starts uni at the end of the month, its a decent laptop, great price, comes with some crapware but its easy enough to uninstall, its a great machine for the price.

ah that's good. I think I might go have a look at it before I buy it. Yeah I saw it comes with tonnes of useless HP programs... I'll just get rid of them asap

Jack!
28-08-2013, 10:05 PM
no... I'm getting a new laptop cause mines on it's way out. The operating system is really last on my list after battery, expected life length and suitability to my course.

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 11:00 PM ----------

ah that's good. I think I might go have a look at it before I buy it. Yeah I saw it comes with tonnes of useless HP programs... I'll just get rid of them asap

Out of interest, what course are you doing? That laptop will be ideal for word processing etc but anything more resource intensive it may struggle, my girlfriend is doing geography so it should be fine.

I would recommend going and looking at it first, we looked at a few, originally went to get an asus but they had no stock, so went for that one, bigger screen, more RAM, Larger HDD and it was £50 cheaper, can't complain.

Rozi
28-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Out of interest, what course are you doing? That laptop will be ideal for word processing etc but anything more resource intensive it may struggle, my girlfriend is doing geography so it should be fine.

I would recommend going and looking at it first, we looked at a few, originally went to get an asus but they had no stock, so went for that one, bigger screen, more RAM, Larger HDD and it was £50 cheaper, can't complain.

Criminology and Sociology so it's pretty much just word processing and then typical stuff like watching iplayer, browsing and spotify. Yeah, I'll probs go have a look just to make sure it's not flimsy as **** and the track pad is ok. Thanks for ya help

beth
28-08-2013, 10:21 PM
windows 8 is actually alright yknow so don't worry about all that, i only just upgraded (and i really didn't want to) but it's actually pretty lovely!!

Gibs960
28-08-2013, 10:25 PM

No, I didn't mean getting a new laptop for the sake of it but getting Windows 8 cos it's new and looks exciting. You even said in the post that you didn't want it, just seems pointless getting an operating system that you don't like just cos it's new.

Anyway, have a look at this one :) Lenovo Ideapad Z500

Eoin247
30-08-2013, 03:10 PM

Keep an eye on Amazon. Prices go down suddenly by as much as £200 for short periods of time. My friend got a pretty powerful Lenovo gaming laptop for the pound equivalent of £650 when it was £800 the day before. I was gonna buy one 2 days later and it was back up around the £750 mark.

I saw a similar thing happen for a cheaper laptop with a temporary price drop of nearly £100, great deal but under the specs I was looking for.

Rozi
30-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Keep an eye on Amazon. Prices go down suddenly by as much as £200 for short periods of time. My friend got a pretty powerful Lenovo gaming laptop for the pound equivalent of £650 when it was £800 the day before. I was gonna buy one 2 days later and it was back up around the £750 mark.

I saw a similar thing happen for a cheaper laptop with a temporary price drop of nearly £100, great deal but under the specs I was looking for.

Oooo thank you, I'll keep an eye out. The only problem really is I have no idea what qualifys as a decent laptop. I just want one that'll last a while. My dells been pretty good but things like battery and fan are just a bit buggered now.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!