PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Gear/Note 3

peteyt
05-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Samsung has just showed of their new smart watch, beating Apple and others who are also rumoured to be working on similar devices.

The Galaxy Gear with be able to show notifications on it's screen and also be used to take calls. However it will need a Samsung phone to be paired with, unlike some other smart watches, which run on most Android phones. While this might annoy some people, it's not a surprise and looks like Samsung is wanting to do something similar to Apple, with all the devices being paired up together.

http://reviews.cnet.com/samsung-galaxy-gear/?tag=nl.e404&s_cid=e404&ttag=e404&ftag=CAD1acfa04

Samsung has also showed off its note 3, it's 5.7 full HD phablet.

What do people think of smart watches. I think their a good idea for some use, but possibly a niche and something that might take a while to truly catch on.

today
05-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Till batteries are way better there's no point, imagine how quickly these sort of things will kill phone batteries.

Eoin247
06-09-2013, 09:41 AM
As said above, it depends on how much battery it drains off the phone. The watches themselves are said to last an average of 24 hours, so it would be odd if they really decimated the phones battery.

If i has the spare cash and the battery life for my phone would still be decent i would consider getting this. I think it's a pretty awesome idea

samsaBEAR
06-09-2013, 09:57 AM
They lost me as soon as they announced it wouldn't work on a non-Samsung phone. That is such an Apple way of thinking about technology, and will most definitely end up biting them in arse, I wouldn't be surprised if that limitation suddenly disappears six months after launch. Pebble is definitely the best smartwatch atm, and the one I will be going for unless Google announces anything before the year is out.

peteyt
06-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Never thought about the battery usage for some reason. I have to charge my phone each night but I'd rather not have to charge a watch each night to. I don't actually wear a watch, rarely have done in the past as I use my phone to tell the time but would consider one in the future if there was better battery life.

One question I do have which might sound a little weird, but I wonder what management in workplaces will think of these watches. I say this because a lot of jobs ban mobile phones on the premises except from breaks especially if working in a store. Maybe they'll allow them just if they are used just as a clock but there's no guarantee they won't be used for other things to e.g. reading texts.

Reality
06-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Watched the live stream of this on YouTube I don't think that the Gear will take off there was even a lady at the convention struggling to work the device and couldn't swipe down to get back to the home screen it seems to be a minor floored I think if it was a bit bigger then yeah a little easier with user-face interaction!
Note 3 is just unbelievably big I don't think it is a very nice design however I do think it will be a success and up the android market completely

Eoin247
06-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Just saw the hands on video for the gear and note. WANT! :O

Don't let her voice put you off though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fo5x7ZIPCM

today
07-09-2013, 09:49 PM
wow her voice really is annoying

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!